The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE & BUELL MOTORCYCLE FORUM - GENERAL DISCUSSION > Riding with disability
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Riding with disability Discussions on how to ride with minor or major disabilities.

Active Threads
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 37 Minutes Ago
Replies: 13,865
Views: 1,280,832
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 51 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2,362
Views: 196,694
0 Suggestions on no start
Last Post: mickey t
Posted On: 55 Minutes Ago
Replies: 74
Views: 1,997
5 What Color Helmet is Most Noticable?
Last Post: Maxeffort
Posted On: 59 Minutes Ago
Replies: 57
Views: 8,645
0 DK Custom 3" Velocity Stack
Last Post: mesalkn
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 439
0 battery drain
Last Post: Toejam503
Replies: 3
Views: 52
0 67 to 70 cam cover and sprocket cover.
Last Post: gpydeski
Replies: 2
Views: 55
0 Tired of hearing the Sportster is a girls bike (The one and only Girly Bike Thread)
Last Post: NLXL
Replies: 3,928
Views: 766,042
0 hello and help!
Last Post: smokey 2
Replies: 16
Views: 464
0 newbie
Last Post: Toejam503
Replies: 12
Views: 71
0 Sportster runs only on choke
Last Post: harley506d
Views: 39
0 Compression Tester Differences
Last Post: 60Gunner
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 619
0 This is gonna hurt.
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 7,763
Views: 1,548,955
0 MPG HONESTLY, what do you get?
Last Post: koolbreeze
Replies: 576
Views: 75,242
0 HAMMERING the Columbia!
Last Post: Turbo Sporty 48
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 54
Views: 10,581
0 Help with my 2007 883R and Cobra 909 exhaust
Last Post: Glamazon
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Views: 37
0 Do Loud Pipes in fact save lives?
Last Post: Hellbent_4
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 2,555
Views: 272,082
0 Ignition coil rating ?
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Replies: 1
Views: 52
0 Headlight - What are you using ? - '74 XLH
Last Post: ryder rick
Views: 59
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: kkbii
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 2,405
Views: 312,299
0 Happy Birthday Joebobber
Last Post: joes95bobber
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 200
0 2003 XLH Battery install help
Last Post: John Harper
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 378
0 Breather in cam cover 1985
Last Post: 60Gunner
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 177
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: Bow only
Replies: 6,349
Views: 816,180
0 Poll: Do you change tires yourself?
Last Post: Tomcatt
Replies: 124
Views: 30,333
0 Do people notice your bike?
Last Post: 83XLX
Replies: 1,202
Views: 324,636
0 New to us
Last Post: juzyHD
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Views: 147
0 What did you do to your EFI Sporty today?
Last Post: ParrotHead
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 3,937
Views: 755,426
11 Ss carburetor
Last Post: doodah man
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Views: 111
More...
Members Birthdays
DaddyJay, sixshooter (72), cartoad2001 (70), Dirty Ernie (64), ncpickman (58), bri1200c (56), pquirk (53), GOTWA (50), gremlinsteve (50), lbowles2 (48), Guess (40), rnaway22es, landon283 (31)
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th July 2019
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1981
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1982
Other Motorcycle Model: FLSTN
Other Motorcycle Year: 2011
Hillbilly Angel is a name known to allHillbilly Angel is a name known to allHillbilly Angel is a name known to allHillbilly Angel is a name known to allHillbilly Angel is a name known to allHillbilly Angel is a name known to allHillbilly Angel is a name known to allHillbilly Angel is a name known to allHillbilly Angel is a name known to allHillbilly Angel is a name known to allHillbilly Angel is a name known to all
Default Ridin' with one eye: a singular view of the world

Hi y'all {waves} never, ever underestimate the importance of depth perception and spacial placement when it comes to ridin', just two of quite a few things I took for granted up until I had the optic nerve in my right eye get burnt out in a work accident back in 2014 {chemical burn workin' for an unscrupulous son of a b#*ch, he cut the corners, I paid the price} could've been worse, nearly lost sight in both eyes but they managed to save the left, it's a whole new world out on the open road when y'all can't see what's comin' at ya from the right {just a point of clarification here, I'm from Australia so we ride on the left side of the road which for us is the right side to ride on }.. You end up relyin' a hell of a lot more on your hearing {good luck with that considerin' I run open pipes} and my neck muscles have gotten REAL flexible with havin' to scan 180 degrees with one eye rapidly {peripheral vision?? what's that??} and takin' into account that it takes the input from both eyes to work out the size & depth of potholes or for that matter are they even potholes or just patched bits on the highway, life on the open road with one eye made ridin' a hell of a lot more interestin' {and don't overlook the impact that havin' no depth perception plays at ya favourite waterin' hole, I can goddamn guarantee y'all will miss the bar 9 time out of 10 tryin' to set ya shot glass down} ..
On the plus side I do have to wear an eye patch which is a L'll piratey which is kinda cool but you try gettin' a bloody parrot to stay sittin' on ya shoulder at 80mph.. good luck with that s#*t
So I guess the moral of the story is take care of ya eyes guys, they can't be replaced, and losin' one f#@ks things up a lot but losin' two, well then ya screwed {and not in the warm wet squishy way}...
Old 30th July 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLS roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1985
iNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum from the state of insanity ..

I can relate to riding with one eye.
I had chemical burn from charging an acid bath used for parts cleaning back before EPA.
I had to wear an eye patch for 3 months and put some greasy crap on my eye a couple times a day.
Depth perception was basically non existent, and was harder to judge speed.
I didn't drive the car much at all during that time.
I was chicken, I would defiantly wrecked.
I could ride pretty good took a while to get used to it.
Luckily I got full vision back. within a year.
Old 30th July 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883DLX
Sportster/Buell Year: 1992
NLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond repute

How awful. I always wondered how people can cope with one eye in traffic. You never really realize that you can't miss much of your body...until it happens. But your view is indeed very important. I think it's great that you can still give it a humorous note. Thanks for the warning and ride safe!
Old 30th July 2019
SPANIARD

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: Big Dog K9
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
Highly-Dangerous has a reputation beyond reputeHighly-Dangerous has a reputation beyond reputeHighly-Dangerous has a reputation beyond reputeHighly-Dangerous has a reputation beyond reputeHighly-Dangerous has a reputation beyond reputeHighly-Dangerous has a reputation beyond reputeHighly-Dangerous has a reputation beyond reputeHighly-Dangerous has a reputation beyond reputeHighly-Dangerous has a reputation beyond reputeHighly-Dangerous has a reputation beyond reputeHighly-Dangerous has a reputation beyond repute

G´day Sis,

Sure it must be a total different world.... good on ya for keeping up the good spirit!!!

Old 30th July 2019
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xls 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1980
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xls 1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1983
Other Motorcycle Model: 1200 Chopper XL
Other Motorcycle Year: 1990
rokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond repute

Know what ya mean. Saving up for new eye surgery myself.
Old 30th July 2019
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2000
Other Motorcycle Model: XL883C
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
Diogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond repute

I've tried riding with one eye closed to get a feel for what it's like to have partial sight and holy crap is it disconcerting. I'm sure I can learn to deal with it if I lost one eye but it's surely a dramatic game-changer.
Old 30th July 2019
Air-Cooled Forever

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: (Prev.Own)XLH Milw.Spec.
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1981
Toejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond repute

Almost lost my right eye when I was 8 years old (1964). Started riding motorcycles in 1970. Still had peripheral vision in it until 2010. Got something in that eye from all the flooding we had that year and the doctors couldn't figure out what it was (9 cases in my area). I ended up with a cornea transplant in '11 and went blind in my right eye in '13. The first year of riding, one eye blind, was something else! I only had depth perception problems for about 2-3 weeks but it seemed like everything kept "sneakin'" up on my right side. Eventually, my brain adjusted to it and the only real change I've had to make is that I don't ride in big groups anymore with unfamiliar riders. I'm not an "always ridin' type of guy" but I have over 425K miles on my keester and don't intend to stop anytime, soon.
Old 30th July 2019
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Xl1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
Skuzeee has disabled reputation

I tend to use one eye when outside, since I can barely see out of my right eye. I guess cause I've done it all my life I'm used to it and I never think about it. Things tend to seem closer in 2D, so it actually makes me keep a larger distance from cars.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Old 31st July 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1460C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: XL1200R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
sportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond repute

Had the pleasure of a deer pinning the windshield to my face a couple years back, only missing about 30% vision from my left eye. Things were an adjustment that is working well for now. Empathy with your situation and grateful for all the vision I have left.
I.B.A.#26543, Growing old-Mandatory/ Growing up-optional. Men do not quit playing because they get old, they get old because they stop playing!

The XL Forum Sportsterpedia:
http://sportsterpedia.com/doku.php/start
Sponsored Links
Old 31st July 2019
Senior Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xl883r
Sportster/Buell Year: 2014
Glamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome from Thornton UK