The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Styles > Sport-Glide / Sportster Motorcycle Touring
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sport-Glide / Sportster Motorcycle Touring This section is for the discussion of setting up you Sportster motorcycle touring and long distance riding.

Active Threads
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 39 Minutes Ago
Replies: 13,865
Views: 1,280,933
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 54 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2,362
Views: 196,743
0 Suggestions on no start
Last Post: mickey t
Posted On: 57 Minutes Ago
Replies: 74
Views: 2,008
5 What Color Helmet is Most Noticable?
Last Post: Maxeffort
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 57
Views: 8,650
0 DK Custom 3" Velocity Stack
Last Post: mesalkn
Replies: 8
Views: 439
0 battery drain
Last Post: Toejam503
Replies: 3
Views: 54
0 67 to 70 cam cover and sprocket cover.
Last Post: gpydeski
Replies: 2
Views: 63
0 Tired of hearing the Sportster is a girls bike (The one and only Girly Bike Thread)
Last Post: NLXL
Replies: 3,928
Views: 766,045
0 hello and help!
Last Post: smokey 2
Replies: 16
Views: 483
0 newbie
Last Post: Toejam503
Replies: 12
Views: 75
0 Sportster runs only on choke
Last Post: harley506d
Views: 47
0 Compression Tester Differences
Last Post: 60Gunner
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 624
0 This is gonna hurt.
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 7,763
Views: 1,548,962
0 MPG HONESTLY, what do you get?
Last Post: koolbreeze
Replies: 576
Views: 75,242
0 HAMMERING the Columbia!
Last Post: Turbo Sporty 48
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 54
Views: 10,583
0 Help with my 2007 883R and Cobra 909 exhaust
Last Post: Glamazon
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Views: 38
0 Do Loud Pipes in fact save lives?
Last Post: Hellbent_4
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 2,555
Views: 272,085
0 Ignition coil rating ?
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Replies: 1
Views: 55
0 Headlight - What are you using ? - '74 XLH
Last Post: ryder rick
Views: 65
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: kkbii
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 2,405
Views: 312,313
0 Happy Birthday Joebobber
Last Post: joes95bobber
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 214
0 2003 XLH Battery install help
Last Post: John Harper
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 380
0 Breather in cam cover 1985
Last Post: 60Gunner
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 194
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: Bow only
Replies: 6,349
Views: 816,192
0 Poll: Do you change tires yourself?
Last Post: Tomcatt
Replies: 124
Views: 30,337
0 Do people notice your bike?
Last Post: 83XLX
Replies: 1,202
Views: 324,647
0 New to us
Last Post: juzyHD
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Views: 150
0 What did you do to your EFI Sporty today?
Last Post: ParrotHead
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 3,937
Views: 755,427
11 Ss carburetor
Last Post: doodah man
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Views: 120
More...
Members Birthdays
DaddyJay, sixshooter (72), cartoad2001 (70), Dirty Ernie (64), ncpickman (58), bri1200c (56), pquirk (53), GOTWA (50), gremlinsteve (50), lbowles2 (48), Guess (40), rnaway22es, landon283 (31)
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2 Days Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1460C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: XL1200R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
sportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond repute

John, I to am a pie eater, and blueberry ranks right up at the top, go figure. Want to take this opportunity to wish you the very best on your birthday. Unfortunately, looks like I will miss the burger Meet-n-Eat, I’ll have my grandson again. Also, Black Beauty limped home yesterday on one cylinder, intermittent, so I get to dig back into her once more. I had codes under “S”, b1121, u1016, then “SP”, b1006, b1007, and “T”, b1006, b1007 and u1016. I think the over voltage acc. and overvoltage ign. may be due to the upgraded charging system. The turn signal error is confusing as they work as well as the four-ways, only thing inoperative is the left turn indicator bulb in the dash. The loss of serial data is troubling. Cleared everything last night and drained the primary,(planned maintenance), so will do a start up and see where I am, again.
Enjoy your special day!!!
I.B.A.#26543, Growing old-Mandatory/ Growing up-optional. Men do not quit playing because they get old, they get old because they stop playing!

The XL Forum Sportsterpedia:
http://sportsterpedia.com/doku.php/start
Old 2 Days Ago
Senior Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xl883r
Sportster/Buell Year: 2014
Glamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond repute

Happy birthday
Old 8 Hours Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1978
Other Motorcycle Model: XLCH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1979
Crusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond repute

A Happy Birthday

Yesterday was my birthday, and it was a good one. It wasn’t a great birthday; there were just enough things that didn’t go as hoped for to diminish it to “only” a good one, but it was still a very enjoyable day. And enough didn’t go wrong to make it a bad day by a long shot. In fact, the more I think about it, the better the day looks.

I usually attend a Sunday morning AA meeting and yesterday was no exception. While there, I mentioned that it was my birthday and 40 people or so spontaneously sang “Happy Birthday” to me, which got my face to turn as red as my shirt. Still, although it embarrassed me, it was kind of nice; but I will never mention my birthday at that meeting again.

As soon as the meeting ended, I jumped on the Roadster and headed up I-71 for Columbus. Google said it should take 1 hour and 50 minutes, and they were pretty close with that time estimate. I arrived just before 1:00. Woody was there when I arrived and was holding a parking spot. Parking in that neighborhood is at a premium but he had a space secured that would accommodate all the bikes. He had posted that he wasn’t going to be able to make it, due to his job, but things happened at work that left him with time off, so he decided to join us. That was pretty neat.

I had been expecting three people, maybe four to be there. There was a lot happening yesterday and a lot of folks who might have made it were busy doing other things. Joe (Gravydog) pulled up a minute or two after me, then Joe (Jcolleyoh) pulled up soon after. I wasn’t sure if Roy (Adrenaline Junkie) was going to make it or not. He had asked about the time and location, but never said if he was going to make it.

We figured we’d wait a bit, then Brian and Laura pulled up. They were unexpected; Brian was one of the first people to post that they couldn’t make it as they had already made other plans. They had gotten home earlier than they expected, so they decided to join us.

We walked over to the café and Joe put our names in and was told it would be a 45 minute wait. Then Roy arrived. He made it on time, but barely (we were supposed to meet promptly between 1:00 and 1:30). He had taken a wrong turn on his way from Parkersburg and it cost him a bunch of time. We stood out on the sidewalk and talked about many things motorcycle related and some things that weren’t. The 45 minute wait stretched out to over an hour and a half, but finally, we got a booth big enough for us and we all ordered.

I have to say that the burgers are big. Their smallest burger had 12 oz. of ground beef, plus whatever toppings on a pretty good sized roll. I got a burger with Cheddar Cheese, sautéed onions and mushrooms on it, and immediately cut it in half when it arrived so I wouldn’t be tempted to try and eat all of it. All the burgers were huge.

Many years ago, a woman I knew had a poster of a muscle man with the caption, “Size has nothing to do with performance”. The burgers were big, but I’ve had better. They weren’t bad at all, but their biggest attribute was their size. I would go back, but I won’t rave about their quality.

However, a Meet ‘n’ Eat isn’t about great food; it’s about great people and we definitely had that. Joe told us about another place called Johnny’s Tavern that’s supposed to have the coldest beer in Columbus and huge burgers of good quality and I think we’ll be going there for a Meet ‘n’ Eat in the not too distant future.

It was 4:30 by the time we got out of Thurman’s, and Gravydog had to beat it for home, so he took off first. We all scattered in different directions and headed out.

I had forgotten my camera, but other people took pictures, and Roy sent me the ones he took, so I have a few to remember the meet by. One really neat picture is of the seven Sportsters all lined up. They all looked good and together, they really looked good. Great bikes and great people. I couldn’t ask for anything better.

I decided that I was just going to take the slab back home, and got on I-71 South, but I got bitten by the backroad bug almost immediately, so I got off when I saw an exit that said Xenia, and took that road west until I found Rt. 42, then I turned south and made my way back to Cheviot. And, as screwy as it seems, I didn’t get lost! I did get to ride through some beautiful country in nearly perfect temperatures and I just wallowed in the feeling that it really is Great to be Alive.

I got home and had a monstrous slice of Blueberry Pie a la Mode, and I didn’t even notice that there were two boxes form Amazon Prime sitting on my front porch until David and Jack came by. I now have a new mailbox and post to replace the termite eaten one that I’ve been using, about six pounds of Kenya coffee beans, a few packages of Chips Ahoy and Nutter Butter cookies (to go with the coffee) and a DeWalt cordless Impact driver that I’m not sure who sent. It might be from Don; he’s sent me things from Amazon Prime in the past, and I wouldn’t put this past him. However, I strongly suspect it’s from Kathryn who had advised me to keep an eye out for something from Amazon. I will have to investigate further. I know! I’ll call each of them and ask! What a concept! I also got a bunch of Marx Brothers movies. All of the movies with the four brothers (Groucho, Chico, Harpo and Zeppo) plus A Night In Casablanca. from Ernie and Candy.

So what were the negatives? Well; I didn’t get my shirt in time. When I ordered it, I was told I’d have it by the 19th, but the e-mail they sent states that I’ll get it by the 26th. Hopefully, I’ll get it by then. And the other negative was the really slow service at the Thurman Café. And that really wasn’t so bad; it gave us more time together to socialize with each other.

Now that I look at it in perspective, it really was a pretty Great Birthday!
Sponsored Links
Old 7 Hours Ago
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
gravydog has a reputation beyond reputegravydog has a reputation beyond reputegravydog has a reputation beyond reputegravydog has a reputation beyond reputegravydog has a reputation beyond reputegravydog has a reputation beyond reputegravydog has a reputation beyond reputegravydog has a reputation beyond reputegravydog has a reputation beyond reputegravydog has a reputation beyond reputegravydog has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, the good company made the wait time easy.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
Old 7 Hours Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1978
Other Motorcycle Model: XLCH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1979
Crusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond repute

A Chorus Line of Beauties:

My big ass burger:

An even bigger burger:

Another shot of those beauties:

Last edited by Crusty; 6 Hours Ago at 15:48..
Old 5 Hours Ago
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1250s,tax paid
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
kkbii has a brilliant futurekkbii has a brilliant futurekkbii has a brilliant futurekkbii has a brilliant futurekkbii has a brilliant futurekkbii has a brilliant futurekkbii has a brilliant futurekkbii has a brilliant futurekkbii has a brilliant futurekkbii has a brilliant futurekkbii has a brilliant future

Sorry i missed it. Glad you all had i good time. Happy Birthday Crusty, i will see you all on the next one.