The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Rubber Mount Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2004-2006)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Rubber Mount Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2004-2006) This area is to discuss issues, problems and anything else unique to the 2004 and above Sportster motorcycles

Active Threads
0 Installing Brembo Goldline brakes on a 1998 XLH1200
Last Post: Big Al
Posted On: 7 Minutes Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 44
0 Spokes or Mags
Last Post: Four Speed
Posted On: 32 Minutes Ago
Replies: 324
Views: 58,409
0 burrs & grooves in clutch basket
Last Post: Nibelungen
Posted On: 35 Minutes Ago
Replies: 26
Views: 739
0 Thinking about restoring my '65 XLCH forks to stock
Last Post: Tyler Lillie
Posted On: 39 Minutes Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 73
0 very hard pull after Billet hydroclutch install
Last Post: mikethebike61
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 494
0 Who's still riding???
Last Post: mikethebike61
Replies: 35
Views: 947
0 How to keep a dry clutch dry?
Last Post: doodah man
Replies: 67
Views: 12,043
0 How stock is your bike
Last Post: Beelzeboss
Replies: 142
Views: 28,751
0 My take on the world ~ Photo by Trace
Last Post: jcn59
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 877
Views: 100,677
0 What are some sellers thinking?
Last Post: Knuckles
Replies: 14
Views: 1,064
0 Average age of the Ironhead forum users
Last Post: JonesL
Replies: 424
Views: 72,825
0 Screw Loose's Repairs
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 330
Views: 49,482
0 FLH saddlebags on Easy Brackets
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 153
0 White Letter Tires
Last Post: Whitewalls
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 6,373
0 Unapproved Threads And Posts
Last Post: bplinson
Replies: 7
Views: 906
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: trainman
Replies: 8,703
Views: 717,005
0 cancer
Last Post: sportytrace
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 577
Views: 59,850
0 This is gonna hurt.
Last Post: lynnx
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 7,566
Views: 1,416,800
0 Seat Poll - Bad Ass or Fat Ass
Last Post: khav
Replies: 38
Views: 11,872
0 Cracked exhaust bracket short shots
Last Post: Screw Loose Dan
Replies: 4
Views: 145
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Crusty
Replies: 41,988
Views: 6,495,402
0 Howdy from Baytown, TX
Last Post: ChinCactus
Replies: 9
Views: 118
0 You asked for it! "The Tess' Coffee Thread"
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 10,356
Views: 731,324
0 inlet rubber band available by the meter?
Last Post: brucstoudt
Replies: 23
Views: 849
0 How many have converted their 883 to 1200?
Last Post: bustert
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 375
Views: 96,794
0 Not such a bargain after all...
Last Post: spuggy
Replies: 5
Views: 387
0 To lay it down or not?
Last Post: wedge
Replies: 167
Views: 18,764
0 ***DK Custom-Announcing The 5th Annual Internet Bike Contest***
Last Post: DK Custom
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 447
0 Tires
Last Post: kmul
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 487
0 Gravydog crashed again.
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 121
Views: 7,909
More...
Members Birthdays
View Poll Results: '04+ Starter Issues
Yes I have encountered this and yes I've reported it. 78 16.08%
Yes I have encountered this but no I haven't reported it. 407 83.92%
Voters: 485. You may not vote on this poll

Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th April 2017
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
greer is a splendid one to beholdgreer is a splendid one to beholdgreer is a splendid one to beholdgreer is a splendid one to beholdgreer is a splendid one to beholdgreer is a splendid one to beholdgreer is a splendid one to beholdgreer is a splendid one to beholdgreer is a splendid one to beholdgreer is a splendid one to beholdgreer is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge View Post
It's called heat soak. When you stop briefly (like getting gas). The engine stops up against compression as you shut it off as you would expect, then the heat seems to expand the charge that is in the cylinder that it stopped against. So when you try to start it hot, it will come up against that compression immediately and since we run high compression (like around 200# cranking pressure to begin with), and since our starter coupled with the stock battery is barely able to do the job when all is perfect, it grinds to a halt briefly. Then if you keep the button depressed it forces the piston past the pressure and then it cranks as usual and fires up.

Makes a terrible noise and really gets attention at gas stations.

Cures...

1. Make good cables from 4 ga. fine strand welding cable using soldered brass lugs to replace the crappy 6 ga. cables with crimped ends that come stock. Also make sure every connection is clean and tight.

2. Never run the star washers on battery terminals, they corrode and burn on the tips, and your connection turns to crap. Use flat washers, and make sure you get them tight. Also, make sure you have good clean bolts that have enough thread length to get inside as far as possible so you can get some decent torque on that connection.

3. High cranking amp battery.

4. High torque starter.

Mine has been doing this for the last 70,000 miles, and I have done the cables and everything is totally clean and tight. So it's noisy, but it won't kill the parts apparently.
Just wanted to say thanks for this thread and the info posted here. Holy crap, these things can make a terrible racket, as we found out yesterday at a crowded gas station, dang!. We will check our battery connections and try to get in the habit of bumping backward before hitting the button.

Sarah
Old 24th December 2017
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
glbsportster is a glorious beacon of lightglbsportster is a glorious beacon of lightglbsportster is a glorious beacon of lightglbsportster is a glorious beacon of lightglbsportster is a glorious beacon of lightglbsportster is a glorious beacon of lightglbsportster is a glorious beacon of lightglbsportster is a glorious beacon of lightglbsportster is a glorious beacon of lightglbsportster is a glorious beacon of lightglbsportster is a glorious beacon of light

Not being a mechanic in any sense of the word.....but reading in here and other places....I read as the Sportster engine gets hotter the timing is retarded (at least at a certain engine temperature) is that correct?. Air cooled engines are great for lawnmowers or any other IC engines that have a fan constantly removing heat, after that, not such a smart thing to build an air cooled engine with no heat remover besides constant movement, well, unless you are also in the business of fixing them......IMHO. It appears that "Love Jugs" are working well enough to somewhat indicate that the air cooled engines are running much better with air movement other than driving the motorcycle.
Old 4th January 2018
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: '59
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 2004 XL1200R
Other Motorcycle Model: 2004 XL883 '57 Tribute
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
PetesPonies has much to be proud ofPetesPonies has much to be proud ofPetesPonies has much to be proud ofPetesPonies has much to be proud ofPetesPonies has much to be proud ofPetesPonies has much to be proud ofPetesPonies has much to be proud ofPetesPonies has much to be proud ofPetesPonies has much to be proud ofPetesPonies has much to be proud ofPetesPonies has much to be proud of

So the literal millions and millions of air cooled bikes were designed by idiots? Air cooling is engineered just like everything else is. The size and amount of fins, the materials used, the thickness of the cylinder and surrounding pieces . .its all engineered. It works. Liquid cooling does more for multi cylinder engines ( in my case, more than 2 ). It helps greatly with MPGs and emissions. Typically two things I don't care too much about, when describing my bikes.
Old 4th March 2018
Subscribing Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Toejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond repute
Default clunking when hot

I had this problem start when my '06 1200 was about 4 years old. Had the same problem back in the 80's with my '81 sporty. I cleaned the battery cables where they connected to the engine and starter, this would help for a while unless it got ungodly hot outside. After a couple of summers of putting up with this I replaced my fuel petcock with a new H-D one and the problem stopped. Apparently the little rubber bladder inside got weak and distorted causing fuel starvation and hard starting when hot. It also was drawing fuel directly into the intake manifold when hot causing the clunk and kick-back that was happening.
Thank god it's not a kicker or else some of those clunks could send you over the handlebars.
Old 4th March 2018
Flat Track Champion

PetesPonies has much to be proud ofPetesPonies has much to be proud ofPetesPonies has much to be proud ofPetesPonies has much to be proud ofPetesPonies has much to be proud ofPetesPonies has much to be proud ofPetesPonies has much to be proud ofPetesPonies has much to be proud ofPetesPonies has much to be proud ofPetesPonies has much to be proud ofPetesPonies has much to be proud of

How an electrical problem and a fuel problem can be equated as the same thing . . is just beyond my ability to understand the masses.
Old 4th March 2018
Subscribing Biker

Toejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond repute

Not enough juice to the starter causes the engine to turn over slower making it easier for the cylinders to kick back especially if it already has a large charge of gasoline in the combustion chamber. This scenario is known to break starter motors.
Sponsored Links
Old 4th March 2018
Flat Track Champion

Retired auto teacher . . . . I'm out of this now.
Old 19th July 2018
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL-1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
3dognate is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a starting issue with 05 XL1200C and it's always on the first start... cold or hot. I'll hit the starter and it takes a LOT of juice to turn the motor over initially. I've seen a puff of smoke under the seat produced from the current draw. I'm running stock heads, stock coil, Andrews N4 cams, SE Ignition module. I have considered switching to a TC88A ignition module to reduce the initial timing for an easier start...

So yeah... I have starting issues.
Old 20th July 2018
Subscribing Biker

If it's happening on cold and hot starts, I'd say it's a timing issue.
Old 13th August 2018
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: ironhead xlx
Sportster/Buell Year: 1983
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200 custom
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2005
spitfirechopper has much to be proud ofspitfirechopper has much to be proud ofspitfirechopper has much to be proud ofspitfirechopper has much to be proud ofspitfirechopper has much to be proud ofspitfirechopper has much to be proud ofspitfirechopper has much to be proud ofspitfirechopper has much to be proud ofspitfirechopper has much to be proud ofspitfirechopper has much to be proud ofspitfirechopper has much to be proud of

i had this on my 2005 xlc1200, i replaced the started with a bigger kw model and now it spins the motor with no problem, even ''hot stops'' are no problem now, starter just powers through it. Changed it about 10,000 miles ago, no problems