The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Styles > Sport-Glide / Sportster Motorcycle Touring
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sport-Glide / Sportster Motorcycle Touring This section is for the discussion of setting up you Sportster motorcycle touring and long distance riding.

Active Threads
0 Homemade 392 cc v8 motorcycle
Last Post: sportsterdoc
Posted On: 19 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 98
0 883N brake/signal problem
Posted On: 24 Minutes Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 67
0 Where chu at Cher?!
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 42 Minutes Ago
Replies: 20
Views: 200
10 Good Day for a Putt !
Last Post: doodah man
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 36
0 Are There Still Sober Riders On The Forum?
Last Post: Toejam503
Replies: 112
Views: 34,024
1 WTS Digital Camera and lens such Nikon and Canon with cars Radio
Last Post: Hippysmack
Replies: 1
Views: 27
0 brake lever for master cylinder.
Replies: 7
Views: 152
0 It's cantolina's Birthday!
Replies: 12
Views: 100
0 883 to 1250 is done
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 161
0 Cleaning clutch fiber plates?
Replies: 3
Views: 55
0 I'm going nuts (Adjusting Fuel Mixture)
Replies: 32
Views: 827
1 Wts occ waste paper scrap, pet bottle scrap.ubc can scrap,ldpe films
Last Post: recyclingaid
Replies: 0
Views: 23
0 Bendix / Zenith questions
Last Post: The Doctor71
Replies: 65
Views: 24,614
0 Hello from Colorado
Replies: 6
Views: 44
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 43,236
Views: 6,751,884
5 Summer time heat
Last Post: ryder rick
Replies: 34
Views: 1,369
0 Poll: How Tall are You?
Last Post: 60Gunner
Replies: 466
Views: 73,099
3 Wtb, Wts, Wtt, Wtg (Evos)
Last Post: trainman
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 70,881
0 R.I.P. Arlen Ness
Last Post: Tim The Grim
Replies: 5
Views: 182
0 New acquisition
Last Post: Yakcm2
Replies: 24
Views: 755
0 Ignition question
Last Post: ryder rick
Views: 322
0 Jacksonville, TX
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Views: 152
0 Mid or forward controls.
Last Post: NLXL
Replies: 145
Views: 38,770
0 What gas mileage do you get for touring?
Replies: 138
Views: 47,977
0 Maryland area Ironhead Gathering
Last Post: raleypc
Replies: 13
Views: 503
0 900 dual carb front head
Last Post: 11B40
Replies: 36
Views: 1,529
0 Oil filter mount and check valve
Last Post: Hippysmack
Replies: 14
Views: 174
0 70 xlch tuneup and intake manifold
Last Post: IronMick
Replies: 39
Views: 1,225
0 Oil section...supertech
Last Post: Jason25
Replies: 13
Views: 362
More...
Members Birthdays
tom32, shaky jake (66), pepper (63), Farseeker (62), Nibelungen (52), Mike-883R (49), cbrunson (44), jcs75sporty (44), Locust (42), bob1610 (37), bigsporty1 (36), ImAHighSamurai (33), OleEven (32), mitch32592 (27)
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4 Days Ago
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: Superlow 1200T
Sportster/Buell Year: 2016
SonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond repute

Hey BKB, I was just making a joke about "sweaty armpits", nothing personal was meant.
Old 4 Days Ago
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883n
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
BSA Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBSA Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBSA Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBSA Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBSA Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBSA Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBSA Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBSA Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBSA Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBSA Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBSA Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Not wanting to get into the judgemental thing (& I've never had a bike with ape hangers or the like), aren't there issues at times with the wind blast from oncoming trucks?
Old 4 Days Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200L
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2009
BKB has a reputation beyond reputeBKB has a reputation beyond reputeBKB has a reputation beyond reputeBKB has a reputation beyond reputeBKB has a reputation beyond reputeBKB has a reputation beyond reputeBKB has a reputation beyond reputeBKB has a reputation beyond reputeBKB has a reputation beyond reputeBKB has a reputation beyond reputeBKB has a reputation beyond repute

SonWon, no offense taken. Hard to insult a man with my huge ego.
Paul, the OSHP are anal about speed. And adding insult to injury is a specialty of theirs. They're like mosquitos. Have the potential to mess up a pleasant day in the country.
BSA Bob, I got more truck cross wind issues with the stock Custom rear wheel, than the tall bars, which are still below shoulder & top of windshield height. When I changed to a 13 spoke Low rear wheel, it eliminated the truck back-wash issue. The large TourMaster sissybar pack (which is also my back rest) however, being up on the pillion, does make cross winds at a stop more noticeable. The windshield also helps a lot with the opposing winds from a semi.
Old 4 Days Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 883/1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Other Motorcycle Model: KLR 650
Other Motorcycle Year: 1987
spoon has much to be proud ofspoon has much to be proud ofspoon has much to be proud ofspoon has much to be proud ofspoon has much to be proud ofspoon has much to be proud ofspoon has much to be proud ofspoon has much to be proud ofspoon has much to be proud ofspoon has much to be proud ofspoon has much to be proud of

I like the idea and phrase of Crusty's "Gentleman's Express"!
Old 3 Days Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: XLCH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1979
Crusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond repute

What To Do?

I’m living on a tight budget. I have to if I want to get the Plastic paid down. That means that I have to watch what I spend money on and how much I spend.

Let me give you an example; I have things I need to buy just for normal day-to-day life. I need to buy a new pair of slippers, I need a few pairs of new sweatpants and I really should buy a new set of sheets for the bed. At the same time, there are things I want to get for the Roadster. It’s running OK, but I really would like to change the chrome shift lever for a black one and I would also like to put a black headlight mount on and replace the polished aluminum mount that’s there. And to make things a little more interesting, I’d like to get a POR-15 gas tank prep and sealer kit for the Custom tank I got for the next Roadster.

I’ll probably compromise with what I get. Since I don’t go out in my sweatpants, I could probably wear them another month. I really do have to get new slippers; the soles are breaking up and pieces have fallen off. I’m pretty sure I should get the sheets because there are separations in the material happening – they’re pulling apart. Between the slippers and the sheets, that takes care of most of my “Disposable” income.

But there’s a brand new black shifter on fleaBay that’s made of the finest Chinesium for twenty five bucks with free shipping. And a brand new black eyebrow, also made of Chinesium for twenty one bucks and change. The POR 15 kit can be had for under forty two bucks and no tax from one place.

Now, the tank sealer kit will be put off. I’ll probably go with the shifter and wait on the headlight mount. At least, that’s the way it looks right now. Then again, the mount is cheaper than the shifter by about three bucks and a quarter. But the shifter is one state over while the mount is in Wayne’s Shoe, China (or someplace near there). Ahhh… Shifter now and eyebrow later; if either gets bought this month.

Either way, the Roadster will continue to look prettier as the miles keep adding up and the house will also improve as time passes. Sometimes, it helps to write this stuff down. It puts everything into perspective and allows me to set priorities.

Next month, I’ll have a couple of bucks more to Dispose of. Or maybe not. I don’t know how much yesterday’s doctor visit is going to come to. Well; I’ll get it all sorted as time goes by. And it gives me something to think and plan about. That’s a Good Thing.

So; new slippers and a shifter. That’ll do for now.
Sponsored Links
Old 3 Days Ago
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
gravydog has a reputation beyond reputegravydog has a reputation beyond reputegravydog has a reputation beyond reputegravydog has a reputation beyond reputegravydog has a reputation beyond reputegravydog has a reputation beyond reputegravydog has a reputation beyond reputegravydog has a reputation beyond reputegravydog has a reputation beyond reputegravydog has a reputation beyond reputegravydog has a reputation beyond repute

John, don't buy a black shifter just yet, I may have one in my secret stash. Give me a day or two to look, if I have one it's yours.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
Old 1 Day Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: XLCH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1979
Crusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond repute

From Bike To Car

The other day, a friend of David’s was in an accident. His Ford Focus was rear ended three times by the same car. I guess the car hit the Focus, bounced back and the driver hit the gas, instead of the brake and hit again and the driver did the same thing a third time.

Wayne (David’s friend) wasn’t hurt, but he ran around for a couple of days getting money from the Insurance Company, and getting a Salvage Title and jumping through bureaucratic hoops. Then, he started thinking that he should just buy a new car. I immediately thought, “How much does he want for the Focus?”

Now, it’s Spring. I won’t need a car until the Fall. Parking would be a problem. But the appeal is still there. Then I think back to 1994.

I had just lost my house to my second wife and had just gone back to work on a tunnel job in Quincy, Mass. All I had for transportation was my Garbage Wagon (Dresser). A few weeks after I started on the job, one of the guys on the crew was selling an Econoline Van and I bought it. It was nice to be able to go to work in relative comfort. It had heat and a working cassette player and it was dry when the weather turned rough. It was a New Toy. For the first month I owned it, I don’t think I rode my bike to work once. Eventually, the novelty wore off and I got used to having the van; then my riding picked back up. But I remember not having any desire to ride, even when the weather was beautiful.

Lately, I’ve had a couple of friends who are getting away from riding, and it’s making me think. One had an accident; an encounter with a deer and it has him looking at the risk vs enjoyment ratio. I’ve known a few people over the years who have given up riding after an accident. There’s no way to predict how somebody will react.

Face it; motorcycles are less protective than a car. If Wayne had been on a bike and got rear ended three times, he’d either be in the hospital or in a coffin. Instead, he’s fine. Some people have an accident and don’t want to repeat the pain and suffering. I can understand this. But then, there are people who have a bad wreck and decide to modify their riding habits and keep riding. I’ve seen people who loved riding quit, but I’ve seen people who weren’t such great riders get back out there. What I’ve learned is there’s no way to tell who will keep on or who will quit until the accident happens.

I used to wonder which kind of rider I was; then I had my bad wreck. I remember laying in the hospital bed with tubes coming out of my body hearing and seeing the bikes going by on the highway and wondering what I was going to get for my next bike. That’s when I learned which type I was.

I’m not being judgmental. Everybody has to do what the Right Thing is for themselves. I’m one of those nut cases who has to have a motorcycle, even if it means not having a car. Other people have to live by their own values.

I worked with a guy a few years ago who went through women constantly. None of his relationships lasted more than a month or two. But he stayed at the same job for years. I was the exact opposite. I went through jobs frequently. But I’ve had very few relationships. Jim would look at me when I talked about all the jobs I’d gone through and shake his head. I’d look at some of the women he dumped (most of them were gorgeous and had great personalities) and shake my head. We were both different but similar at the same time.

This morning, I got a letter from a friend who hasn’t ridden for months. That’s unusual, for him. He’s lost the desire to ride. He was as hard core as anybody I’ve ever met, but he just doesn’t feel the urge.

I don’t know what to tell him. I’m hoping that he’ll go for a ride and that will rekindle the flame. I’ve seen that happen to people over the years. But maybe it’s time for him to close that chapter of his life and move on. I just don’t know.

What I do know is that he’s a Good Guy and a friend. I’ll miss him if he does quit riding, but I don’t know what the Right Thing for him is. Maybe he needs to “settle down”. Maybe he just needs a break. And maybe, he’ll go for a short ride and the spark will jump back.

I hope so.

Last edited by Crusty; 1 Day Ago at 19:43..
Old 1 Day Ago
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Model #2: FXST Softail Standard
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: FLSTF Fatboy
Other Motorcycle Year: 1999
Stairman has a reputation beyond reputeStairman has a reputation beyond reputeStairman has a reputation beyond reputeStairman has a reputation beyond reputeStairman has a reputation beyond reputeStairman has a reputation beyond reputeStairman has a reputation beyond reputeStairman has a reputation beyond reputeStairman has a reputation beyond reputeStairman has a reputation beyond reputeStairman has a reputation beyond repute

I know what you mean. When the deer hit me and damned near killed me I woke up in the hospital after being flown in by chopper. I spent over two weeks in the hospital, but there was never a doubt in my mind that I wasn't going to keep riding. I guess I'm just to stubborn. Had three bikes at the time and my wife wanted me to sell them all. I sold two to help keep the peace but kept one and I'm still riding it. It's the one I wrecked on. I'm hoping the bad luck is out of it now. I'll admit the first couple of times back on it were a little apprehensive. It's like falling off a horse, you got to get right back up on that SOB. I hope your friend will keep riding with you.
Old 1 Day Ago
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: Superlow 1200T
Sportster/Buell Year: 2016
SonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't have tubes sticking out when I fractured three ribs and tore all of the muscles in my left shoulder from a dirt bike crash. I couldn't hold my left arm out straight in front of me and it hurt with every breath. I was 18 and didn't know any better so I was riding on the street a week later. It hurt to start the bike, no electric starters then.