The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > GENERAL AREA > On the Road - Stories, Places to Stay/Eat, Places to get Help
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

On the Road - Stories, Places to Stay/Eat, Places to get Help Tell us about your latest ride or even an old one.

Active Threads
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: NLXL
Posted On: 12 Minutes Ago
Replies: 17,478
Views: 1,010,325
0 Chinese S&S carbs
Last Post: brucstoudt
Posted On: 13 Minutes Ago
Replies: 31
Views: 1,152
0 Info needed on mini sumps.
Last Post: thefrenchowl
Posted On: 20 Minutes Ago
Replies: 24
Views: 987
12 Lets see the "C's" XLC's that is. Pics Please!
Last Post: james beam
Posted On: 32 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1,236
Views: 466,360
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: Tipofthelake
Posted On: 37 Minutes Ago
Replies: 6,960
Views: 986,350
0 In need of input....69XLCH Stroker build
Last Post: RicThompson
Posted On: 38 Minutes Ago
Replies: 52
Views: 1,957
0 What brake upgrade options does 1999 Sportster have? This is what I found!
Last Post: keithnh
Posted On: 40 Minutes Ago
Replies: 23
Views: 1,272
0 Valve Lengths?
Last Post: motorhedmike
Posted On: 40 Minutes Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 71
0 Anyone go racing last weekend?
Last Post: rocketmangb
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 3,185
Views: 325,727
0 Dual Speedo/Tach Gauge Mount Failure
Last Post: Hippysmack
Replies: 3
Views: 22
0 2010 sportster LED turn signals load balancer?
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 5
Views: 65
0 Do all Harleys miss at idle?
Replies: 2
Views: 61
0 KT - 2020 - Where Eagles Dare
Replies: 47
Views: 9,683
0 This is gonna hurt.
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 8,121
Views: 1,713,909
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Replies: 19,988
Views: 2,036,509
0 still chasing my engine cutting out hot issue!
Last Post: JonesL
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 16
Views: 516
0 73 XLH Total Power Loss
Last Post: sleighcrane
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 141
0 1972 Build thread please subscribe
Last Post: Gold Member
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 67
Views: 3,879
0 front wheel bearing advice needed
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 48
0 ....1
Last Post: DEEP DIVER
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 5,554
Views: 323,577
0 Cleaning carbon build-up
Last Post: sportsterdoc
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 260
0 2020 east coast meet and greet.
Last Post: commando57
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 91
Views: 8,358
0 Gasket placement
Last Post: Billy1200
Replies: 5
Views: 154
0 XR mutt race bike progress
Last Post: Maxeffort
Replies: 11
Views: 374
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 47,724
Views: 7,639,161
0 What oils do you run in your ironhead
Last Post: John Harper
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 89
Views: 12,789
0 Lifters+w cams
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 624
0 HF bike lift
Last Post: Highly-Dangerous
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 578
0 Average age of the Ironhead forum users
Last Post: jharback
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 464
Views: 98,736
More...
Members Birthdays
vt883, Danno, Otis_hd (70), Fisherman (69), New Girl (63), soup (58), motormyk (51), leo, UncleSmitty (43), bryguy1977

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th June 2019
I am the great Cornholio!

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki GT550
Other Motorcycle Year: 1974
ParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond repute
Default Parrothead and the 2019 Iron Butt Rally

It's hard to believe but in one week I leave to head to the starting location for the 2019 Iron Butt Rally. I had grand plans for this year, worked with IXL2Relax on a cool design for a sticker, and generally planned for this to be "My Year" to bust my butt and (no pun intended!!!) and push myself hard to place as high as I can with the goal of being in the top 20. I even came up with a motto, Fortune Favors the Bold (ok, not original but I thought it fit) which adorns the cool sticker design. My intent was to train hard this spring racking up the miles and spend time in the gym loosing weight and getting into better physical shape.

Unfortunately life got in the way. As many have probably heard my father closed his machine shop 3 years ago and my brother and I have been cleaning it out. I've been spending 2-3 nights a week there and normally both days on weekends getting rid of stuff. This kicked into high gear when we had someone interested in buying the building back in February. The good news is we do have an agreement of sale with a settlement date July 9th. The bad news is I had no free time to train on the bike or in the gym.

On top of that I run parking for an WWII themed airshow in Reading PA that is this weekend. My parking team self destructed and my co coordinator who resigned shortly after last years show was replaced in April. I have not had the time to devote to that show due to the machine shop and both of those have weighed heavy on me.

And lastly there is work. I changed roles in early March and have a young guy working for me in the UK, fresh out of college. Unfortunately I neglected to have the conversation with him that he should speak with me before he schedules any time out of the office as we are a team of two and one of us needs to be in the office. He scheduled 8 days out of the office that overlap with the time I am out for the Iron Butt Rally. Fortunately we have a good boss who worked with us and found someone to cover so I am still able to take off. And I did have the chat with my staffer and he won't be doing that again...

I know I know, would I like some cheese with my whine

So with all that said, I am still planning on heading to the Iron Butt Rally next week. The start is in Greenville SC, and we get underway on Monday June 17. The schedule for the rally is below:

Start: 10:00am on June 17 in Greenville SC
Checkpoint 1 arrival: 8:00 pm on June 20 in Kennewick WA
Checkpoint 1 departure: 4am on June 21
Checkpoint 2 arrival: 8:00 pm on June 23 in Kennewick WA
Checkpoint 2 departure: 4am on June 24
Finish: 10am on June 28 in Greenville SC

And a shout out to forum member Bstrdbike in WA for allowing me to ship him my spare wheel with a fresh tire on it so I can do a wheel swap at checkpoint 2

My plan has not changed, I am still going to push myself to finish as high as I possibly can with my goal to still be in the top 20.

My intent is to use this thread for updates while I ride. If there is a member who I can text a daily update to and post here in this thread I'd greatly appreciate it as it is unlikely I can post during the rally as I will need my sleep

Again, thanks for all the support!!!

Check out my Blog for my trip reports:

Click here to listen to my interview about my Sporty and riding on the Motorcycle Men Podcast

Click here to listen to my interview about the Iron Butt Rally on the Motorcycle Men Podcast

Click here
to listen to my interview on the Chasing the Horizon Podcast

Click here for the Sportsterpedia! for technical information & advice
Old 5th June 2019
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: FLHP
Sportster/Buell Year: 2016
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Guzzi V7 Stone
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2013
Other Motorcycle Model: 18 Guzzi V7D / 11 Duc 696
Bone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond repute

Kick ass sea bass - keep cell phone numbers handy.
Old 5th June 2019
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xls 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1980
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xls 1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1983
Other Motorcycle Model: 1200 Chopper XL
Other Motorcycle Year: 1990
rokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck. Luck is never over rated.

Stock sucks.

Traveled to
Old 5th June 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
harley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck mate, i'm sure you will be ok! Enjoy!
Old 5th June 2019

ParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Guys. Shanneba has kindly offered to post my daily updates. In the next few days I will post the link to the location of the daily updates from the rally staff as well as the group link to the location of all the riders. The daily updates are always interesting

One thing that I forgot to add to my post is I plan on doing a daily video diary. Not sure how this will work just yet and it may not be available until after the rally. I am curious as to what (i.e. how bad) I look and sound as the rally progresses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post
Kick ass sea bass - keep cell phone numbers handy.
Thanks, and be careful of what you offer as I may take you up on it, you may get a call from a tired rider who has no idea what time it is on the east coast
Old 5th June 2019
Post no Avatars!

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH-883D
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1988
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDXT
Other Motorcycle Year: 2001
decman has a reputation beyond reputedecman has a reputation beyond reputedecman has a reputation beyond reputedecman has a reputation beyond reputedecman has a reputation beyond reputedecman has a reputation beyond reputedecman has a reputation beyond reputedecman has a reputation beyond reputedecman has a reputation beyond reputedecman has a reputation beyond reputedecman has a reputation beyond repute

Best of luck with this one Chris.
You know where I live.

I will be taking a long weekend trip to Monument valley
from 6/14~6/18 but will be home after that.
Old 5th June 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1460C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: XL1200R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
sportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond repute

Chris, you’ve been to my primitive quarters and are always welcome. In the event of a late hour distress call, heaven forbid, We’ get it done. My borrowed full bike lift is now empty and availible. If you need my number again send me a p.m. Best of luck.
I.B.A.#26543, Growing old-Mandatory/ Growing up-optional. Men do not quit playing because they get old, they get old because they stop playing!

The XL Forum Sportsterpedia:
http://sportsterpedia.com/doku.php/start
Old 6th June 2019
Biker

BigLew55 is a glorious beacon of lightBigLew55 is a glorious beacon of lightBigLew55 is a glorious beacon of lightBigLew55 is a glorious beacon of lightBigLew55 is a glorious beacon of lightBigLew55 is a glorious beacon of lightBigLew55 is a glorious beacon of lightBigLew55 is a glorious beacon of lightBigLew55 is a glorious beacon of lightBigLew55 is a glorious beacon of lightBigLew55 is a glorious beacon of light

Good Luck, Chris!! See you in a few days.

I had similar plans of getting in shape, but my wife decided that she needed a new job this spring. resulting in a move 2 hours south:

Our daughter's last day of school is today 6/6 (also my last day of work before 3 weeks of vacation).

Movers come on Sun, 6/9 to load up
Unload at new house Tuesday, 6/11.
Come back and close on sale of old house on Wed 6/12.
Ride to Greenville on 6/13.

You know the rest of the schedule.

My goal is to finish.

Lofty, I know...

Life...whatcha gonna do?!?
2020 FLHTK, 1965 FLHFB, IBA #595
Old 10th June 2019

Thanks all!!

Dec, I will try to avoid the state of Utah as my rear brakes always fail there but if I cannot I may be swinging by

Just got home from a successful airshow where we had record crowds on Saturday, nothing got broke and as far as I know no one was seriously injured.

Now I have 2 evenings to finish my bike before I hit the road to SC.

Oil change
Mount my water jug
Mount a new phone mount since I got a new phone
Waterproof two connections, one on each of my GPS mounts
Add primary fluid
And I know I am missing something ...
Old 10th June 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
XL Ed has a reputation beyond reputeXL Ed has a reputation beyond reputeXL Ed has a reputation beyond reputeXL Ed has a reputation beyond reputeXL Ed has a reputation beyond reputeXL Ed has a reputation beyond reputeXL Ed has a reputation beyond reputeXL Ed has a reputation beyond reputeXL Ed has a reputation beyond reputeXL Ed has a reputation beyond reputeXL Ed has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget clean underwear!