The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 Real Horse Power Difference in Head Treatments
Last Post: FiftySixer
Posted On: 7 Minutes Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 112
0 Info needed on mini sumps.
Last Post: thefrenchowl
Posted On: 34 Minutes Ago
Replies: 41
Views: 1,694
0 Ground Up Beginner Build
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 28
0 Chinese S&S carbs
Last Post: Highly-Dangerous
Replies: 51
Views: 1,834
0 ....1
Last Post: Highly-Dangerous
Replies: 5,561
Views: 323,828
0 "S" model specific Q&A
Last Post: Paul.W
Replies: 1,981
Views: 403,869
0 Learning Wrenching Resources?
Last Post: Paul.W
Replies: 21
Views: 1,092
0 Tappet blocks and tappets
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 19
Views: 445
0 XR mutt race bike progress
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 22
Views: 1,070
0 My Rear Master Cylinder Re-build
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 120
Views: 69,017
0 Sportster Fork Upgrade
Last Post: PetesPonies
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 53
Views: 15,549
0 Proven external Fuel pump and regulator
Last Post: Iron Mike
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 16
Views: 187
0 WANTED, Mid Controls for 2002, 883 Sportster
Last Post: tylermiller
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 140
0 Why No Tachometer?
Last Post: Oldmxdog61u
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 45
Views: 2,009
0 Brotherhood of the traveling lid
Last Post: Maxeffort
Replies: 7
Views: 174
0 Average age of the Ironhead forum users
Last Post: BigLerowski
Replies: 465
Views: 98,871
0 HOW BIG? Mikuni on a 1250 kit?
Last Post: rocketmangb
Replies: 15
Views: 272
0 2020 east coast meet and greet.
Last Post: BKB
Replies: 96
Views: 8,504
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Crusty
Replies: 17,501
Views: 1,012,249
0 Dual Speedo/Tach Gauge Mount Failure
Last Post: Edster
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 135
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 6,971
Views: 988,470
0 Coil readings
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 201
0 New guy from IL
Last Post: Bow only
Replies: 9
Views: 109
0 Top end failure
Last Post: Tipofthelake
Replies: 25
Views: 920
0 Valve Lengths?
Last Post: brucstoudt
Views: 230
0 3/4” Axle Drum Brake ??
Last Post: Tim The Grim
Views: 225
0 primary cover
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Replies: 2
Views: 177
0 Why such heavy oil in Sportster?
Last Post: shanneba
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 39
Views: 1,223
0 Andrews 5th Gear Mainshaft Swap
Last Post: Diemos
Replies: 0
Views: 39
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 20,048
Views: 2,043,039
More...
Members Birthdays
daggar rider, The Brit (67), MGN54 (66), beau-kat, bkmthdff (55), af_sting (51), ofo (49), LOSTHIGHWAY420 (46), coxja (40), rickeybyrd (35)
Tags
solenoid, solenoid button, starter

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th March 2020
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH Ironhead 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1982
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda Goldwing
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
Gulf Coaster has much to be proud ofGulf Coaster has much to be proud ofGulf Coaster has much to be proud ofGulf Coaster has much to be proud ofGulf Coaster has much to be proud ofGulf Coaster has much to be proud ofGulf Coaster has much to be proud ofGulf Coaster has much to be proud ofGulf Coaster has much to be proud ofGulf Coaster has much to be proud ofGulf Coaster has much to be proud of
Default Solenoid issue?

Greetings! My 1982 Ironhead 1000 starter is not spinning, and I am hoping for a simple fix. After a short ride, I tried to start it again and got a heavy "click" from the solenoid. I think I am hearing the plunger being pulled into the solenoid, because the sound definitely comes for the solenoid, and I can feel it if I put my hand on it when I press the starter. This makes me suspect the plunger is deploying, but not making good contact with the copper contacts, inside. I am wondering if this is something I can check or clean without removing the starter. The bike is currently at someone else's house, and I don't want to get into much in their garage, if I can help it. I saw a video about replacing the end cap of the solenoid with a starter button, and it looked like the plunger was accessible with just that cap removed. Can the plunger be pulled out, contacts cleaned and put back in with no more effort than removing that end cap? Thanks in advance! -Steve
Old 15th March 2020
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883►1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1994
IXL2Relax has disabled reputation

Be sure to disconnect the battery - The solenoid has power directly from the battery & is capable
of supplying over 200amps of power - VERY BAD if you short to ground...!!!

If you're going to rebuild the solenoid, you should take the starter/solenoid off the bike.

You should be able to take the end cover off the solenoid to look at the internal hi-current contacts & plunger.

1981-later Sportsters - Here's the Sportsterpedia section on the Starter/Solenoid:
http://sportsterpedia.com/doku.php/t...k:evo:engctl02

Starter Solenoid Rebuild Kits (OEM - for stock starter solenoids):4)

1981 through 1990 XLH ………. use Kit 31605-90
1991 and later XLH 1200 …….. use Kit 31603-91
1991 through 1994 XLH 883 …… use Kit 31605-90
1995 and later XLH 883 ……… use Kit 31603-91

The rebuild kits (in general) will include these new replacement parts:

. Solenoid Cover Gasket
. Solenoid Plunger (w/o spring)
. Solenoid Input Contact Assembly (contact, bolt, nuts, washers, insulators)
. Solenoid Output Contact Assembly (contact, bolt, nuts, washers, insulators)

Naturally, aftermarket kits are available - check those for compatibility.

IXL _______ >>>> My Motorcycle Chronicles Are Here <<<<
For FREE Sportster Tech Info from the XLForum:
Explore The Sportsterpedia - The Best Kept Secret on the XLForum!
Old 15th March 2020
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond repute

The 1981 solenoid/starter setup is different from the earlier years. The information I have posted in various threads does not apply

However, a member did make this helpful post; unfortunately he used PhotoBucket for the pics ...

Ironhead 81-on starter SOLENOID rebuild guide w/picts
http://xlforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1687400

Visit Mick's WebSite
[And Check Out My Autobiog]
Old 15th March 2020
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1966
Hopalong48 is a splendid one to beholdHopalong48 is a splendid one to beholdHopalong48 is a splendid one to beholdHopalong48 is a splendid one to beholdHopalong48 is a splendid one to beholdHopalong48 is a splendid one to beholdHopalong48 is a splendid one to beholdHopalong48 is a splendid one to beholdHopalong48 is a splendid one to beholdHopalong48 is a splendid one to beholdHopalong48 is a splendid one to behold

You can start the bike by pulling it behind another vehicle with a rope. Do not under any circumstances tie the rope to your handlebars. This could cause you and the bike to be pulled down the ditch on the side of the road until the person pulling you notices the problem. Don't ask me how I know this.
signed,
bleeding, bruised, and scraped

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 15th March 2020
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: xlx
Sportster/Buell Year: 1983
cazz1000 has much to be proud ofcazz1000 has much to be proud ofcazz1000 has much to be proud ofcazz1000 has much to be proud ofcazz1000 has much to be proud ofcazz1000 has much to be proud ofcazz1000 has much to be proud ofcazz1000 has much to be proud ofcazz1000 has much to be proud ofcazz1000 has much to be proud ofcazz1000 has much to be proud of

I got an 83.. same starter ,, do ur self a favor and take the starter off take it apart, clean the the armature,, the copper terminals and the face of the plunger grease the plunger body and bearing, change the starter relay under the seat ,I got the same relay at autozone,, ive owned my bike since new, and ive clean the starter one time in 36 years and changed the relay once,, she,s good to go,,,good luck,,, cazz,,
Old 15th March 2020
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Gulf Coaster has much to be proud ofGulf Coaster has much to be proud ofGulf Coaster has much to be proud ofGulf Coaster has much to be proud ofGulf Coaster has much to be proud ofGulf Coaster has much to be proud ofGulf Coaster has much to be proud ofGulf Coaster has much to be proud ofGulf Coaster has much to be proud ofGulf Coaster has much to be proud ofGulf Coaster has much to be proud of

Thank you very much for the info. I was hoping for a quick fix (way too much life happening at the moment), but I think I will heed your advice, get a rebuild kit, and do it properly. Better to wait a weekend or two than duct tape it.
Old 15th March 2020
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Default Doing ti Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazz1000 View Post
I got an 83.. same starter ,, do ur self a favor and take the starter off take it apart, clean the the armature,, the copper terminals and the face of the plunger grease the plunger body and bearing, change the starter relay under the seat ,I got the same relay at autozone,, ive owned my bike since new, and ive clean the starter one time in 36 years and changed the relay once,, she,s good to go,,,good luck,,, cazz,,
Thanks for the advice. I will heed everyone's suggestions and pull it apart.

Cheers!
Old 15th March 2020
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: xlx
Sportster/Buell Year: 1983
cazz1000 has much to be proud ofcazz1000 has much to be proud ofcazz1000 has much to be proud ofcazz1000 has much to be proud ofcazz1000 has much to be proud ofcazz1000 has much to be proud ofcazz1000 has much to be proud ofcazz1000 has much to be proud ofcazz1000 has much to be proud ofcazz1000 has much to be proud ofcazz1000 has much to be proud of

u might not need a rebuild kit,, I did,nt,,,,,, new primary gasket and oil,, good time to check ur primary chain and shoe tensioner,, but do buy a new starter relay,,,for sure like 12.00 bucks at autozone ,,,,, good luck,,,,, be simple,,,, god bless,,,1 more thing u will need a new gasket for the backside of the starter or maybe not...
Old 3rd April 2020
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Default One solid click for the starter, one giant pain for starter-kind

Thanks for all the advice and sage counsel. I am still without a functioning starter, though. I messed with the starter solenoid, cleaning contacts and so forth, made sure various wires made good contact, had the battery checked and charged it fully. All seemed fine, but I still just got a single really solid click. I replaced the starter relay, with no change in result. Then I bit the bullet and replaced the starter and solenoid. That made absolutely no difference, although I actually appreciated getting into the primary and, as cazz1000 suggested, was able to see that everything in there is in good shape. I had to make a gasket for the starter, which was actually kind of fun. I read that a bad ground can be the culprit, but I don't know where to look for that. All the sterter-related wiring in the vicinity of the battery and starter seems to be fine. As always, any advice would be appreciated.
Old 4th April 2020
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
glbsportster has a reputation beyond reputeglbsportster has a reputation beyond reputeglbsportster has a reputation beyond reputeglbsportster has a reputation beyond reputeglbsportster has a reputation beyond reputeglbsportster has a reputation beyond reputeglbsportster has a reputation beyond reputeglbsportster has a reputation beyond reputeglbsportster has a reputation beyond reputeglbsportster has a reputation beyond reputeglbsportster has a reputation beyond repute

One of the first simple things I would do is have a friend come over and change batteries for a test....if his starter clicks then it is your battery,