The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up) For 2007 and above Sportsters

Active Threads
0 "S" model specific Q&A
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 3 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1,991
Views: 405,372
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 9 Minutes Ago
Replies: 47,749
Views: 7,649,034
0 Current projects (2 of them anyway)
Last Post: Iron Mike
Posted On: 10 Minutes Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 156
0 Highway cruise speed
Last Post: lespaul6
Posted On: 15 Minutes Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 961
0 Adjusting Drive Belt While On A Lift
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 22 Minutes Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 91
0 N65C or N65A
Last Post: lespaul6
Posted On: 26 Minutes Ago
Replies: 17
Views: 1,103
0 Tappet blocks and tappets
Last Post: Scott
Posted On: 41 Minutes Ago
Replies: 24
Views: 784
0 Real Horse Power Difference in Head Treatments
Last Post: Highly-Dangerous
Posted On: 53 Minutes Ago
Replies: 35
Views: 567
0 Turbo Iron 883
Last Post: Ghostdog
Posted On: 54 Minutes Ago
Replies: 41
Views: 1,916
0 Need some guidance on installing a traxxion dynamics suspension on my front forks
Last Post: Bryan1976
Posted On: 58 Minutes Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 295
0 Chinese S&S carbs
Last Post: Steve9
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 58
Views: 2,652
0 HOW BIG? Mikuni on a 1250 kit?
Last Post: sportsterdoc
Replies: 31
Views: 636
12 Crankcase breathing?
Last Post: DJCBlue
Replies: 3
Views: 78
0 Hammer 1250 kit with fp3
Last Post: Pagey
Views: 716
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 17,519
Views: 1,014,453
0 ....1
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 5,569
Views: 324,068
0 Sportster Fork Upgrade
Last Post: Redbeard2
Replies: 67
Views: 15,846
0 Dual Speedo/Tach Gauge Mount Failure
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 219
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 20,074
Views: 2,045,701
0 Do you use a bike cover?
Last Post: Old Rocker
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Views: 6,822
0 Rear sets?
Last Post: bordens
Replies: 30
Views: 11,718
0 Hardtail 01 883C conversation.
Last Post: Vic8028
Views: 1,150
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: cal43
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 6,980
Views: 991,212
0 Ground Up Beginner Build
Last Post: Paul.W
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 203
0 My Rear Master Cylinder Re-build
Last Post: PetesPonies
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 131
Views: 70,061
0 Screamin Eagle slip-ons too loud
Last Post: Blackmagellan
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Views: 10,320
0 Clutch springs
Last Post: BigMek
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Views: 154
0 Coil polarity
Last Post: ryder rick
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 86
0 Snippets
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 152
Views: 14,239
0 New Guy with Experienced Bike
Last Post: Bikeaholic
Views: 280
More...
Members Birthdays
PEISprotster (68), 2009XR (66), Briank (61), bbj6635 (59), Reddog225 (48), larre1973, Irondrake77 (41), picowatt (40), Jeffrey99 (39), namesnick (39)
Tags
efi sportster, engine noise, nightster, pinging

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st March 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1200n
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
brich is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Engine Pinging

I recently put forward controls on my 08 Nightster. In order to this this I had to remove the forward exhaust. I installed a new exhaust gasket, but it sounded like it had a leak. I installed a second new exhaust gasket, the bike sounded a lot better, however I took it out for a ride the other day (first real ride since putting on the forwards) and it sounds like it has a ping coming from the rocker covers. When I accelerate it gets louder and faster, when I pull in the clutch it seems to go away?????? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 22nd March 2010
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: FLHP
Sportster/Buell Year: 2016
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Guzzi V7 Stone
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2013
Other Motorcycle Model: 18 Guzzi V7D / 11 Duc 696
Bone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by brich View Post
I recently put forward controls on my 08 Nightster. In order to this this I had to remove the forward exhaust. I installed a new exhaust gasket, but it sounded like it had a leak. I installed a second new exhaust gasket, the bike sounded a lot better, however I took it out for a ride the other day (first real ride since putting on the forwards) and it sounds like it has a ping coming from the rocker covers. When I accelerate it gets louder and faster, when I pull in the clutch it seems to go away?????? Any help would be appreciated.
I assume you made no other changes during the install (to something that might effect tuning?).

How about the front 02 sensor, wiring intact and connections tight?

How about the heat shield? Properly installed, nothing loose or damaged?
Old 22nd March 2010
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Low
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Speedy is a glorious beacon of lightSpeedy is a glorious beacon of lightSpeedy is a glorious beacon of lightSpeedy is a glorious beacon of lightSpeedy is a glorious beacon of lightSpeedy is a glorious beacon of lightSpeedy is a glorious beacon of lightSpeedy is a glorious beacon of lightSpeedy is a glorious beacon of lightSpeedy is a glorious beacon of lightSpeedy is a glorious beacon of light

I have a 2007 1200L with a D&D Fat Cat 2-1 on it and I experience the same pinging. I work in a Harley dealer with many Harley certified techs and the first time I experienced this I asked them right away. They said it isn't anything that hurts the bike but seems to occurs a lot in FI sportys and they haven't found anything that truly fixes the noise yet. This was about a year ago. They said it was nothing that was hurting the bike either. I just left it alone my bike has been running just fine since I asked them about it.
Old 22nd March 2010

Other Motorcycle Model: Yamaha FZ1
Other Motorcycle Year: 2008
whittlebeast has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
I have a 2007 1200L with a D&D Fat Cat 2-1 on it and I experience the same pinging. I work in a Harley dealer with many Harley certified techs and the first time I experienced this I asked them right away. They said it isn't anything that hurts the bike but seems to occurs a lot in FI sportys and they haven't found anything that truly fixes the noise yet. This was about a year ago. They said it was nothing that was hurting the bike either. I just left it alone my bike has been running just fine since I asked them about it.
Ping is never acceptable.

This is a fine example of why I never trust dealers. The detonation is a combination of the stock o2 feedback loop in the ECU is absolute junk. The bike has way too much timing in the midrange. These bike do not have enough cooling so you have to run them somewhat fat or around 14.0 AFR at part throttle.

Lots of people throw loud pipes on it and wind up just not being able to hear the motor trying to melt down. Power commander just throws butt loads of fuel at them.

AW
Old 22nd March 2010
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200L
Anaxios is a glorious beacon of lightAnaxios is a glorious beacon of lightAnaxios is a glorious beacon of lightAnaxios is a glorious beacon of lightAnaxios is a glorious beacon of lightAnaxios is a glorious beacon of lightAnaxios is a glorious beacon of lightAnaxios is a glorious beacon of lightAnaxios is a glorious beacon of lightAnaxios is a glorious beacon of lightAnaxios is a glorious beacon of light
Default Could it be the fuel?

This is only hear-say, but refineries supposedly used to put more volatiles in their mix during the winter for easier starting, at least back when all vehicles had carburetors. Anyone caught with a tank of winter gasoline on a warm spring day might hear some pinging from the more volatile fuel.

My knowledge is not the most current, but if gasoline is still blended that way, the weather could explain your problem. Did you fuel up immediately before the road test? I really hope its as easy as that for you.
Old 23rd March 2010
Flat Track Racer

Speedy is a glorious beacon of lightSpeedy is a glorious beacon of lightSpeedy is a glorious beacon of lightSpeedy is a glorious beacon of lightSpeedy is a glorious beacon of lightSpeedy is a glorious beacon of lightSpeedy is a glorious beacon of lightSpeedy is a glorious beacon of lightSpeedy is a glorious beacon of lightSpeedy is a glorious beacon of lightSpeedy is a glorious beacon of light

I appreciate the insight. Thank you very much for saving my engine.
Old 23rd March 2010
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200L
Recon Dad has a spectacular aura aboutRecon Dad has a spectacular aura aboutRecon Dad has a spectacular aura aboutRecon Dad has a spectacular aura aboutRecon Dad has a spectacular aura aboutRecon Dad has a spectacular aura aboutRecon Dad has a spectacular aura aboutRecon Dad has a spectacular aura aboutRecon Dad has a spectacular aura about

I agree with Whittlebeast.

Make sure that that the four nuts that hold the exhaust pipes to the cylinder heads are torqued properly. A lot of people tell you just hand tighten them and then you end up with exhaust leaks and poor performance.
Old 23rd March 2010

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
biknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to behold

I'm not surprised to hear a rubber mount pings. If the stock plugs are equivalent to NGK 7, with 9.7:1 I'm not surprised. My bike has 10.5:1 with pretty good chambers, and mine pinged like a biache with 7's. 8's were a lot better but still had a little. It took 9's to get it to stop.

I also agree stock Sportsters have too much advance in the ignition curve, and run too lean.
Completely stock except for, Branch #5 heads & 10.5:1 JE pistons, Red Shift V531 cams, S&S Super E, ThunderJet, V&H Sideshots, S&S Flywheels, Dyna 2000i, Stortz 55mm Inverted Fork, JMC Swingarm, Works Performance 12.5" Shocks, PM 4 Piston, PM wheels, 18 x 150 R tire, Custom Belt Drive Conversion, Still Has Original Nut Behind The Bars
Old 25th March 2010
Biker

I have new fuel in the bike and the exhaust nuts are nut. I am however going to change out the plugs. I was talking to a buddy of mine and he also mentioned something about the plugs, so I will try that.
Old 25th March 2010
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by biknut View Post
I'm not surprised to hear a rubber mount pings. If the stock plugs are equivalent to NGK 7, with 9.7:1 I'm not surprised. My bike has 10.5:1 with pretty good chambers, and mine pinged like a biache with 7's. 8's were a lot better but still had a little. It took 9's to get it to stop.

I also agree stock Sportsters have too much advance in the ignition curve, and run too lean.
Biknut which spark plug do you suggest