The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 1986 Adjustable Push Rod Adjustment
Last Post: 109Countries
Posted On: 1 Minute Ago
Replies: 20
Views: 323
0 compression test question
Last Post: deguireb
Posted On: 1 Minute Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 1
0 07 Ign Acc position.
Last Post: npaisnel
Posted On: 9 Minutes Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 141
0 Swing arm pivot
Last Post: motorfish
Posted On: 17 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 30
0 My frist question...Fork seal replacement
Last Post: ericfreeman
Posted On: 20 Minutes Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 348
0 Do you have the service manual?
Last Post: MikeBel
Posted On: 25 Minutes Ago
Replies: 766
Views: 219,398
0 Early Sportster XLCH 900 Dyno Run
Last Post: Eugis
Posted On: 26 Minutes Ago
Replies: 111
Views: 32,608
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Yakcm2
Posted On: 43 Minutes Ago
Replies: 18,417
Views: 1,094,287
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 48 Minutes Ago
Replies: 23,294
Views: 2,375,629
0 2000+ rear brake on early rigid mount
Last Post: Jer
Posted On: 52 Minutes Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 19
0 You got to be kidding!
Posted On: 54 Minutes Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 70
0 New Harley CEO
Last Post: maltesefalcon
Posted On: 58 Minutes Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 367
0 New oil tank
Last Post: rocketmangb
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 124
Views: 5,706
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Replies: 7,202
Views: 1,058,446
0 Clutch blow up
Last Post: wedge
Replies: 8
Views: 197
0 stress killer
Replies: 416
Views: 82,258
0 Not a Sporty Carb..but CV
Replies: 6
Views: 425
0 Mileage
Last Post: bustert
Replies: 7
Views: 186
0 IH Crankcase Pressure and Engine Breathing
Last Post: bustert
Replies: 86
Views: 4,293
0 top end rebuild
Last Post: eisenhead
Replies: 80
Views: 4,448
0 Rear Fork Maintenance, How to
Last Post: Mission1
Replies: 11
Views: 5,131
14 Buell back in business?
Last Post: AZbiker
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 335
0 How many miles are on your sporty?
Last Post: Iron Chuck
Replies: 1,232
Views: 334,437
0 Do not buy this oil!
Last Post: IronMick
Replies: 49
Views: 1,860
0 PLEASE READ THIS Before You Post In 'The BUY - SELL - TRADE Zone'!
Last Post: Folkie
Replies: 1
Views: 452
0 Fork oil q
Last Post: Pickss
Replies: 4
Views: 249
5 1200 or 883
Last Post: boomerguy
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,229
Views: 365,798
0 excellent color
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 609
0 XLH 900 1969 Build Thread
Last Post: K2019
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 314
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 48,657
Views: 7,872,683
More...
Members Birthdays
patc, Camera108 (67), pbudrovic (65), Rob Roy's Revenge (64), gene04 (63), guvnor (56), jrogers329 (50), ksoggs (45), dmurphy68 (43)

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st September 2020
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

ryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond repute

A guy told me once you cannot use an EVO ignition on an Ironhead because the rod angles are different.

Fact is All Electronic Ignitions have very similar pre-programed curves, and none of them are perfect for an Ironhead.

But any electronic ignition that has a rev limiter, current limiting, and dwell control works better than points and a wobbly ass centrifugal advance.

If you are so concerned about spark timing you really should add the second spark plug an Ironhead needs to eliminate the tuning nightmare and get the efficiency of a modern motor.

Remember the MoCo did not add the second plug, because it would have made the Ironhead more faster/better than the flagship model, the FL.
Old 21st September 2020
Know It All

Nitro57xl is a glorious beacon of lightNitro57xl is a glorious beacon of lightNitro57xl is a glorious beacon of lightNitro57xl is a glorious beacon of lightNitro57xl is a glorious beacon of lightNitro57xl is a glorious beacon of lightNitro57xl is a glorious beacon of lightNitro57xl is a glorious beacon of lightNitro57xl is a glorious beacon of lightNitro57xl is a glorious beacon of lightNitro57xl is a glorious beacon of light

You keep preaching about dual plugs, but I'm still waiting for real proof that adding a second plug does more than increase sales for coil makers? I want to see dyno sheets where the same motor is tested with results showing real power increases! Otherwise it's just another opinion not based on fact! Otherwise known as bullshit?

As a machinist I have dual plugged heads and its a pain in the ass to do! The head castings can vary in thickness so you never know if there is enough metal to have a full thread on the plug or the plug could hit the piston top depending on what pistons you have and the depth of the plug in the casting? It's a real chore to weld up the hole between a bunch of fins in iron, if the hole is too short You have to have a way to hold the head in the mill at an angle to do it, and milling through the fins is problematic too, requires a special multiflute endmill to do it with any speed. In other words this is not a ten minute modification? I,'d like to hear how other guys do it?

This has nothing to do with iron heads? A couple of years ago I helped a guy who is very competitive racing a 120" shovelhead in AMDRA racing. He has been racing for about ten years. Always wanting to increase performance and hearing all the THEORIES about dual plugging heads he tried it and after a year of racing and trying a bunch of different tuneups, he told me it didn't really add any gains to his speed at the track?

Harley built a few models of evo 1200 Sportsters with dual plugs back around 2000! How come if its so great they didn't comtinue?
Old 21st September 2020
Blind Owl

Sportster/Buell Model: XLB, XLCH, Sporton
Sportster/Buell Year: 1962
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1966
Other Motorcycle Model: XLCH (Another one)
Other Motorcycle Year: 1966
Ferrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro57xl View Post
Why all this worry about advance curves? Almost all the curves are done at 2000 rpm. How much riding do you do below 2000? Unless you are lugging it at really :low speeds in high gear the timing is at full advance! You guys are suffering from OCD?

The concern is these are designed for Ultima engines. The full advance may well be 2000 RPM but if the full advance is 28 degrees your poor old Ironhead will be making 12 HP.
Yes, you can "adjust" the system by ignoring the Ultima initial setting and moving the backing plate 12 degrees.
But that again is not optimal.
These "curves" also appear to be straight lines anyway.

I'm looking for an optimal system to go onto a performance engine. So a fully programmable ignition is what's really required.

Just as an aside, most engines benefit from dropping the advance a few degrees in the upper rev range. If you are looking for an engine that can perform up to it's full potential you need to be able to tailor the curve.

Only OCD on performance engines. My sidecar runs a magneto and I wish I could tailor the spark on that as well.
Old 21st September 2020
Know It All

Nitro57xl is a glorious beacon of lightNitro57xl is a glorious beacon of lightNitro57xl is a glorious beacon of lightNitro57xl is a glorious beacon of lightNitro57xl is a glorious beacon of lightNitro57xl is a glorious beacon of lightNitro57xl is a glorious beacon of lightNitro57xl is a glorious beacon of lightNitro57xl is a glorious beacon of lightNitro57xl is a glorious beacon of lightNitro57xl is a glorious beacon of light

The only way your going to get that is to go the full electronic engine control route with evil? And all the sensors that go with it?
Old 21st September 2020
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
darwin-t has a spectacular aura aboutdarwin-t has a spectacular aura aboutdarwin-t has a spectacular aura aboutdarwin-t has a spectacular aura aboutdarwin-t has a spectacular aura aboutdarwin-t has a spectacular aura aboutdarwin-t has a spectacular aura aboutdarwin-t has a spectacular aura aboutdarwin-t has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrous Head View Post
The concern is these are designed for Ultima engines. The full advance may well be 2000 RPM but if the full advance is 28 degrees your poor old Ironhead will be making 12 HP.
Yes, you can "adjust" the system by ignoring the Ultima initial setting and moving the backing plate 12 degrees.
But that again is not optimal.
These "curves" also appear to be straight lines anyway.

I'm looking for an optimal system to go onto a performance engine. So a fully programmable ignition is what's really required.
This Ultima is fully programmable. You have ten points you can set to whatever RPM you want and set the advance for each of those points.You can set single or dual fire, set max RPM to whatever value you like.
Old 21st September 2020
Blind Owl

Sportster/Buell Model: XLB, XLCH, Sporton
Sportster/Buell Year: 1962
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1966
Other Motorcycle Model: XLCH (Another one)
Other Motorcycle Year: 1966
Ferrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro57xl View Post
The only way your going to get that is to go the full electronic engine control route with evil? And all the sensors that go with it?
I used a Micro-Tech on my Ducati and it did everything I needed.

And the Ultima will do the job. I have already told Clayton it's probably the one to buy.

he won't be racing it (I don't think) so a good general curve will do the trick. When he sticks it on the dyno to do the carbs we will have a pretty good idea.