The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > GENERAL AREA > Off-Topic/General Discussion
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Off-Topic/General Discussion Here is you can submit non-Sportster related topics. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION PLEASE.

Active Threads
0 New oil tank
Last Post: rocketmangb
Posted On: 2 Minutes Ago
Replies: 124
Views: 5,694
0 1986 Adjustable Push Rod Adjustment
Last Post: 109Countries
Posted On: 3 Minutes Ago
Replies: 17
Views: 310
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: npaisnel
Posted On: 5 Minutes Ago
Replies: 7,202
Views: 1,058,419
0 Clutch blow up
Last Post: wedge
Posted On: 14 Minutes Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 189
0 stress killer
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 15 Minutes Ago
Replies: 416
Views: 82,189
0 Not a Sporty Carb..but CV
Last Post: npaisnel
Posted On: 15 Minutes Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 408
0 Mileage
Last Post: bustert
Posted On: 17 Minutes Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 182
0 Early Sportster XLCH 900 Dyno Run
Last Post: Eugis
Posted On: 22 Minutes Ago
Replies: 110
Views: 32,591
0 IH Crankcase Pressure and Engine Breathing
Last Post: bustert
Posted On: 26 Minutes Ago
Replies: 86
Views: 4,216
0 You got to be kidding!
Last Post: seajay
Posted On: 37 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 29
0 top end rebuild
Last Post: eisenhead
Posted On: 45 Minutes Ago
Replies: 80
Views: 4,425
0 Rear Fork Maintenance, How to
Last Post: Mission1
Posted On: 49 Minutes Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 5,122
14 Buell back in business?
Last Post: AZbiker
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Views: 328
0 Do you have the service manual?
Last Post: MikeBel
Replies: 766
Views: 219,368
0 How many miles are on your sporty?
Last Post: Iron Chuck
Replies: 1,232
Views: 334,434
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: trainman
Replies: 23,291
Views: 2,375,558
0 Do not buy this oil!
Last Post: IronMick
Replies: 49
Views: 1,841
0 PLEASE READ THIS Before You Post In 'The BUY - SELL - TRADE Zone'!
Last Post: Folkie
Replies: 1
Views: 450
0 Fork oil q
Last Post: Pickss
Replies: 4
Views: 245
0 Swing arm pivot
Last Post: Mike1nw
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 24
5 1200 or 883
Last Post: boomerguy
Replies: 1,229
Views: 365,759
0 excellent color
Last Post: Stairman
Views: 575
0 New Harley CEO
Last Post: Steve9
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Views: 353
0 XLH 900 1969 Build Thread
Last Post: K2019
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 308
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 48,657
Views: 7,872,583
0 Hi everyone
Last Post: jharback
Replies: 18
Views: 634
0 New member
Views: 358
0 newbie
Replies: 14
Views: 215
6 Hello Folks
Replies: 10
Views: 230
0 Tired of hearing the Sportster is a girls bike (The one and only Girly Bike Thread)
Last Post: Steve9
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 4,142
Views: 805,692
More...
Members Birthdays
patc, Camera108 (67), pbudrovic (65), Rob Roy's Revenge (64), gene04 (63), guvnor (56), jrogers329 (50), ksoggs (45), dmurphy68 (43)

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1 Week Ago
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1250s,tax paid
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
kkbii has a brilliant futurekkbii has a brilliant futurekkbii has a brilliant futurekkbii has a brilliant futurekkbii has a brilliant futurekkbii has a brilliant futurekkbii has a brilliant futurekkbii has a brilliant futurekkbii has a brilliant futurekkbii has a brilliant futurekkbii has a brilliant future

i miss you guys , i will do my best to be there.
Old 1 Week Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 CX
Sportster/Buell Year: 2016
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1978
Other Motorcycle Model: XL 1200 R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2005
Crusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond repute

The latest I've seen is rain on Sunday morning here in Cincinnati, but only cloudy in Lancaster. I'll be there.

(I'm bringing parts to Joe so he can paint them!)
Old 4 Days Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Crusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond repute

If You Believe The Weather Forecast…

…Then you deserve what you get. - old proverb.

We’ve been planning a Sportster Meet&Eat for a few weeks. I kept watch on the weather forecasts as the day got closer. Right up to this morning, it was supposed to be cloudy and cool, but no rain. So I got to ride in the rain for the first 60 miles or so.

It wasn’t a heavy rain, it varied between a light sprinkle to a heavy mist in the air. It was ever-present, though for the first hour of my ride up to Lancaster. Added to the temps in the mid 40s, it made the trip the coldest ride since last spring.

Still, it was worth a little discomfort. Seven of us met at Max & Erma’s in Lancaster for a late Sunday lunch. We were there for a few hours and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. We ate good food and talked about motorcycles and just enjoyed each other’s company.

I had boxed up the parts that need to be painted so I could hand them off to Joe. Getting them strapped to the bike was pretty challenging and it took me more than a half hour to get everything strapped and bungeed securely enough to make the trip. I did that yesterday so that I’d have plenty of time to get it all sorted to my satisfaction. I got it right; everything made the trip successfully.

Joe and I went over everything and he put the parts in his truck. The next time I see them, they’ll be painted Soul Red. I am so looking forward to that.

The food is good at Max & Erma’s. I had a cheddar cheese burger with sautéed onions and mushrooms I didn’t hear a bad word from anyone about the food. We talked about many different things, but Paul’s story of the bat spread eagled on his buddy’s helmet is an image I won’t forget for some time. In all, there were seven of us who made it. There were a few others who didn’t want to ride in the cold rain and I can’t fault them for that.

Anyhow, it was a very good time. I think it was Emerson who said, “The way home from a friend’s house is never long.” The ride home felt like it went by a lot faster than it really took. It was cold, I don’t think the temperatures ever got above 50º F (10º C), but not insanely cold. Still, when I got home, I immediately took a long, hot shower. Now, I’m going to become a vegetable for the night.

I remembered my camera and I even got a couple of pictures.

These are the three Sportsters that were there

Here’s a picture that I took inside the restaurant

And Joe took a photo with me in it

Old 2 Days Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

An Oncoming Train?

One of the tunnel jobs I worked on had a small poster in the Hog House (Change House) that was a picture of a tunnel with a light at the end. It said, We Never Forget It Might Be An Oncoming Train.

I’m looking at the possible completion of the Gentleman’s Express, and it feels like I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. It won’t be complete yet, but all the major changes and improvements will be complete. The seat is on order, Joe has the parts for paint and yesterday, I ordered the new Speedo/tach.

It was too good a deal to let slide. Ronnie’s H-D sent me an e-mail saying I could buy any Official Licensed Product for 25% off if I bought before this Saturday. The idea of saving almost 79 bucks was too much to let it slip away.

I had received the new Speedo mount on Monday and it took all of 20 minutes to change it out. I like it a lot. Don’t know if it will make the LCD read out easier to see in bright sunlight because it was overcast and rainy all day, but one thing that I really like about it is that the idiot lights are tilted up so that they’re more easily visible when I’m on the bike.

I had planned to wait and see if the new mount worked well enough to keep the stock instrument. If just the angle change would make the read out more visible, like the it does for the idiot lights, but I really like the way the accessory speedo looks. I probably would have gotten one anyhow, and the idea of saving that much was irresistible.

So my credit card balance is back up a bit, but the Gentleman’s Express is approaching reality.

It’s going to be a decent handling, comfortable motorcycle that looks like what an honest Sport-Touring motorcycle should look like. The bike that the MoFoCo should build if the Corporate Heads could only recover from their severe rectal occulitis.

And it’s almost here.
Old 2 Days Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1460C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: XL1200R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
sportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
If You Believe The Weather Forecast…

…Then you deserve what you get. - old proverb.

We’ve been planning a Sportster Meet&Eat for a few weeks. I kept watch on the weather forecasts as the day got closer. Right up to this morning, it was supposed to be cloudy and cool, but no rain. So I got to ride in the rain for the first 60 miles or so.

It wasn’t a heavy rain, it varied between a light sprinkle to a heavy mist in the air. It was ever-present, though for the first hour of my ride up to Lancaster. Added to the temps in the mid 40s, it made the trip the coldest ride since last spring.

Still, it was worth a little discomfort. Seven of us met at Max & Erma’s in Lancaster for a late Sunday lunch. We were there for a few hours and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. We ate good food and talked about motorcycles and just enjoyed each other’s company.

I had boxed up the parts that need to be painted so I could hand them off to Joe. Getting them strapped to the bike was pretty challenging and it took me more than a half hour to get everything strapped and bungeed securely enough to make the trip. I did that yesterday so that I’d have plenty of time to get it all sorted to my satisfaction. I got it right; everything made the trip successfully.

Joe and I went over everything and he put the parts in his truck. The next time I see them, they’ll be painted Soul Red. I am so looking forward to that.

The food is good at Max & Erma’s. I had a cheddar cheese burger with sautéed onions and mushrooms I didn’t hear a bad word from anyone about the food. We talked about many different things, but Paul’s story of the bat spread eagled on his buddy’s helmet is an image I won’t forget for some time. In all, there were

These are the three Sportsters that were there

Here’s a picture that I took inside the restaurant

And Joe took a photo with me in it

The bikes from left to right- Jerry,"old boy from Indiana", the dirty, rusty one in the middle is mine from Michigan and the right side is John's,"Crusty", from Ohio.
Inside shot shows clockwise from the left- Joe,"gravydog", the very lovely Laura and her other half Brian,"BKB", across fr I'm him is Steve,"Stevek", myself, Jerry,"oldboy", then John,"Crusty".
I.B.A.#26543, Growing old-Mandatory/ Growing up-optional. Men do not quit playing because they get old, they get old because they stop playing!

The XL Forum Sportsterpedia:
http://sportsterpedia.com/doku.php/start