The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 Who's still riding???
Last Post: SLW210
Posted On: 4 Minutes Ago
Replies: 41
Views: 1,644
0 no introduction needed
Last Post: Nibelungen
Posted On: 4 Minutes Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 4
0 This week on Craig's list
Last Post: 60weight
Posted On: 8 Minutes Ago
Replies: 3,627
Views: 373,123
0 Where do you ride in the lane?
Posted On: 12 Minutes Ago
Replies: 51
Views: 4,141
0 Royal Enfield V-twin concept at EICMA show
Last Post: DEEP DIVER
Posted On: 12 Minutes Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 100
0 I've been getting some revenge.
Posted On: 15 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 22
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 22 Minutes Ago
Replies: 41,998
Views: 6,499,948
0 Chardhin moved to Pennsylvania!
Last Post: lostNdallas
Posted On: 31 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 39
0 inlet rubber band available by the meter?
Last Post: paulc
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 27
Views: 1,035
0 Shinko Tyre update - long and boring.
Last Post: slamtry
Replies: 19
Views: 4,934
0 This is gonna hurt.
Last Post: Four Speed
Replies: 7,569
Views: 1,417,781
0 Who is at fault here? (WARNING - GRAPHIC!)
Replies: 142
Views: 32,320
0 Got New Bike - 2002 Sportster Project
Last Post: mzavala2424
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 248
0 Poll for the legalization of cannabis
Last Post: ed_in_az
Replies: 424
Views: 54,983
0 After 13 Years, Brake Improvements
Replies: 16
Views: 546
0 primary and gear case cover paint.
Last Post: newroadster
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 40
0 Hi from the Netherlands
Last Post: Dutch_Bobber
Replies: 19
Views: 357
0 What riding gear do you have/wear in good and/or poor weather?
Replies: 105
Views: 32,679
0 Compressor tool
Last Post: rocketmangb
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Views: 63
0 Sportster Primary / Transmission oil analysis
Last Post: shanneba
Replies: 26
Views: 3,345
0 Thinking about restoring my '65 XLCH forks to stock
Last Post: Sprtstr1200s
Replies: 15
Views: 414
0 burrs & grooves in clutch basket
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 39
Views: 1,101
0 Joe Minton article on HSR 42 tuning
Last Post: jordan1200
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 3,250
0 Anybody Collect Dealer Logo'd Harley T-Shirts?
Last Post: mikeLI_77
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 127
Views: 19,148
0 FLH saddlebags on Easy Brackets
Last Post: Screw Loose Dan
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 275
0 cancer
Last Post: Nibelungen
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 581
Views: 59,983
0 Moto Guzzi V9 Bobber debut
Last Post: Bone
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 41
Views: 2,526
0 Ice tire
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Views: 65
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 8,722
Views: 719,478
More...
Members Birthdays
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th July 2018
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1000 cc
Sportster/Buell Year: 1976
4th of July is a glorious beacon of light4th of July is a glorious beacon of light4th of July is a glorious beacon of light4th of July is a glorious beacon of light4th of July is a glorious beacon of light4th of July is a glorious beacon of light4th of July is a glorious beacon of light4th of July is a glorious beacon of light4th of July is a glorious beacon of light4th of July is a glorious beacon of light4th of July is a glorious beacon of light
Thumbs up 73 Sporty

You guys have never failed me, and thanks again for this. Haven't checked it further so far, will tonight. Appreciate this VERY much. You have to work on these bikes yourself, there really is no other option, where I am anyway.

Tank cap is NOT vented and fits super snug. Does not have the little hole in underneath side of cap will ball inside. This original cap fits VERY tight. However, bike shuts off CLEAN, no sputter at all and I was thinking electrical too but not sure. Condenser could be it as well, think I have one left over from a 72 Chevy Nova which looks exactly the same but not sure they are interchangeable. Have an older coil too, from 76 Sporty I used to have.

Will post solution. Great tips, will likely save me a bunch of time. Thank You!!!
Old 16th July 2018
I have been revived

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1961
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Xl 883n
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2010
Other Motorcycle Model: XL CE Tribute
Other Motorcycle Year: 1977
brianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond repute

I am in the circuit breaker camp for now too. Do you hear any faint clicking noise after it shuts down, before it restart?
Old 16th July 2018
Greasemonkey

4th of July is a glorious beacon of light4th of July is a glorious beacon of light4th of July is a glorious beacon of light4th of July is a glorious beacon of light4th of July is a glorious beacon of light4th of July is a glorious beacon of light4th of July is a glorious beacon of light4th of July is a glorious beacon of light4th of July is a glorious beacon of light4th of July is a glorious beacon of light4th of July is a glorious beacon of light
Cool 73 Sporty

Wasn't gas cap, just shuts down clean after warming up for a few minutes. I back idle off slightly as you normally would and it shuts down, sometimes happens during short ride. Condensor, Coil and Regulator are easy enough.Will let you all know how it goes. Thank You! Do believe electrical. Starts up great with initial choke.
Old 16th July 2018
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

ryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe the Idle mix is set too lean?

The bit about needing choke on a hot or even half way warmed motor after stalling screams lean or fuel starvation of some kind.

Maybe you have some kind of goober floating around in your low speed circuit. It gets sucked in and plugs the circuit then falls away when it quits, then needs choked because everything is dried out.

Will 2 or 3 squirts bring it back to life instead of choking?

If the gas cap is truly sealed where is the tank venting from?
Will the fuel feed (with the cap on the tank) quickly and with a steady stream fill a water bottle?
Old 17th July 2018
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200s
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1974
bustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond repute

put some inline spark testers in and when it kills, see if you still have fire. if you do, look at fuel delivery.
if you have no fire, pull the capacitor wire off the points post, it should run, if so go electronic. i have a compu-fire since 1975 on my 74ch no issues.
Old 17th July 2018
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLS roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1985
iNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond repute

OK so now I wonder ... does the bike start back in seconds or minutes or days.
The diagnostic approach starts with the facts. " It runs then stops"
So when it stops you need to check 2 things. 1st fuel the other is fire.
Easiest is to check fire...... When the bike dies, immediately just pull off the plug wire and get someone you don't like to hold it as you kick the bike. If they get pissed then it has fire.
Next is fuel. simply take off the air cleaner before you start the bike and when it dies you spray some carb or brake cleaner or gas in the carb, then try to start it. If it tries to start then its fuel. If nothing happens when trying a few times then most likely fire problem.
Pull the plugs and look the over see if they are flooded. Put them back in the wires and against the heads and then kick the bike over to see if there is any spark. if no then start diagnosing the ignition.
Old 22nd July 2018
Greasemonkey

Smile 73 Sporty

First of all THANK YOU! All good tips and information.

Wanted to give a little premature feedback here. I did reset the points. Manual says .018 as I recall and it appeared to be about 1/2 that. It is a bit of a hassle jacking bike up, then turning back wheel to get it right on the widest lobe of the cam, but finally got it real close to .018. Seemed to run smoother at lower idle now and during a short run, bike did not shut down. Have not messed with the timing.......yet. I do believe problem was in ignition circuit.

Gunner's unique tip about the condenser being a problem could have something to do with it too. I have a new one but did not change it out yet. This could be a problem in a points "spark condenser" because information I got said those carry much more voltage than a "radio noise suppress condenser" found in older cars. I had one left from a 70's Chevy Nova but apparently they are NOT interchangeable with motorcycle condensers (which retard high current flow across the points). Auto condensers could get fried if put in a bike. I had no knowledge of this, just got it off internet.

Anyway, I think this is on the right track re: ignition system. Will check timing next but ordered a clear plastic plug to put in timing hole since my 73 just a a metal plug. I heard you get a fair amount of oil coming out IF you just pull the plug while bike is running. I have timed old V8s before but this will be a 1st on a bike. Actually looks easier than the points, no need to jack bike up and you just rotate points back plate until timing mark centers. Will give that a try and see if anything else develops. Kind of hesitate to mess with it though since it seems to be running pretty good. My guess is that timing slightly off though since points weren't quite right.

That's it for now.
Old 23rd July 2018
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1964
Other Motorcycle Model: VL
Other Motorcycle Year: 1934
ccmman is just really niceccmman is just really niceccmman is just really niceccmman is just really niceccmman is just really niceccmman is just really niceccmman is just really niceccmman is just really niceccmman is just really niceccmman is just really niceccmman is just really nice

In my experience, when a condenser is fried, its fried.

To diagnose, run bike out of direct sunlight, with points cover off. There will be alot of sparking at the points.

But I dont think it would have the symptoms you have. On the other hand its easy and cheap to fit new, correct condenser.
Sponsored Links
Old 24th July 2018
Greasemonkey

Smile 73 Sporty

I agree, believe timing & definitely points were off, why bike would shut down during a short run and then start up again (usually), is a mystery to me but maybe the faster idle which you have during startup and 1st few minutes of ride kept in running, then when idle went down it was enough to kill the engine. Have taken it out 3 times now after points set, just to see if that was a fluke, and it has not shut down.

Good tip on the condenser, easy to check that. Will report back after going through a couple more hoops in case somebody else has same problem.

If I did not belong to this group, I would have a real tough time keeping these ironheads running. Have had 3 of them now. Fun bikes, and some old school cool. Thank you!