The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > GENERAL AREA > Organize a Ride-out or find a riding buddy
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Organize a Ride-out or find a riding buddy Here is where you can organize your local ride-outs or search for a new riding buddy.

Active Threads
0 Who's still riding???
Last Post: SLW210
Posted On: 4 Minutes Ago
Replies: 41
Views: 1,644
0 no introduction needed
Last Post: Nibelungen
Posted On: 4 Minutes Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 4
0 This week on Craig's list
Last Post: 60weight
Posted On: 8 Minutes Ago
Replies: 3,627
Views: 373,123
0 Where do you ride in the lane?
Posted On: 12 Minutes Ago
Replies: 51
Views: 4,141
0 Royal Enfield V-twin concept at EICMA show
Last Post: DEEP DIVER
Posted On: 13 Minutes Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 100
0 I've been getting some revenge.
Posted On: 15 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 22
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 22 Minutes Ago
Replies: 41,998
Views: 6,499,948
0 Chardhin moved to Pennsylvania!
Last Post: lostNdallas
Posted On: 31 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 39
0 inlet rubber band available by the meter?
Last Post: paulc
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 27
Views: 1,035
0 Shinko Tyre update - long and boring.
Last Post: slamtry
Replies: 19
Views: 4,934
0 This is gonna hurt.
Last Post: Four Speed
Replies: 7,569
Views: 1,417,781
0 Who is at fault here? (WARNING - GRAPHIC!)
Replies: 142
Views: 32,320
0 Got New Bike - 2002 Sportster Project
Last Post: mzavala2424
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 248
0 Poll for the legalization of cannabis
Last Post: ed_in_az
Replies: 424
Views: 54,983
0 After 13 Years, Brake Improvements
Replies: 16
Views: 546
0 primary and gear case cover paint.
Last Post: newroadster
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 40
0 Hi from the Netherlands
Last Post: Dutch_Bobber
Replies: 19
Views: 357
0 What riding gear do you have/wear in good and/or poor weather?
Replies: 105
Views: 32,679
0 Compressor tool
Last Post: rocketmangb
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Views: 63
0 Sportster Primary / Transmission oil analysis
Last Post: shanneba
Replies: 26
Views: 3,345
0 Thinking about restoring my '65 XLCH forks to stock
Last Post: Sprtstr1200s
Replies: 15
Views: 414
0 burrs & grooves in clutch basket
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 39
Views: 1,101
0 Joe Minton article on HSR 42 tuning
Last Post: jordan1200
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 3,250
0 Anybody Collect Dealer Logo'd Harley T-Shirts?
Last Post: mikeLI_77
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 127
Views: 19,148
0 FLH saddlebags on Easy Brackets
Last Post: Screw Loose Dan
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 275
0 cancer
Last Post: Nibelungen
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 581
Views: 59,983
0 Moto Guzzi V9 Bobber debut
Last Post: Bone
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 41
Views: 2,526
0 Ice tire
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Views: 65
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 8,722
Views: 719,478
More...
Members Birthdays
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th August 2018
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: XLCH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1979
Crusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond repute

A Three State Sunday

Yesterday, I rode to Lesage, West Virginia, ate a couple of Hot Dogs and then rode home.

That’s the truth, but it doesn’t even begin to describe the day I had.

To begin with, the weather was a stereotypically hot like an August Sunday is supposed to be. The thermometer that I saw when I was gassing up for the trip home said 93 F. It was hot, but tolerable at 70 MPH.

I left Cincinnati and took a mix of Interstate and State highways there. I decided to stop at the first Rest Area in West Virginia and get a road map. When I stopped, there was a etched stone monument dedicating the Highway to the Airborne Paratroopers and Glidermen. I thought that was pretty nice. I’ve known a few former Airborne military, including one who got pretty seriously messed up when his chute didn’t open properly.

Anyway, I followed Google’s directions and almost rode past Hillbilly Hot Dogs. The directions said 3.4 miles after I turned right onto Route 2, but it was a bit less.

I don’t know how to describe the place. It’s an assault on your eyes. There’s strange stuff everywhere. We parked beside a rusted old ‘70s vintage Suzuki four that was buried in the ground up to its axles. Everything (and there’s more there than I could look at) screams Hillbilly loudly. From the building construction, to the haphazard scattering of all kinds of stuff. And all of it is covered with graffiti. The Dining area is a couple of old school busses with about a brazillion names on the ceiling in magic marker. There’s a giant “Still” with water coming out of a spiral copper tube and falling into a bathtub that's full of soapsuds with two legs sticking out. There’s a fiberglass speedboat with a “Flying Tigers” shark mouth painted on the bow (we all signed the boat on the forward deck). I saw some kid pick up the receiver on an old dial phone that was there. There’s so much stuff that there’s no way to take it all in. I’m going to have to go back again.

Anyhow, Brian was there when I pulled up and Roy pulled up just after I did. Roy was riding a newer Roadster with the better suspension. He’s put motocross style bars on it and also had the seat reupholstered. A new exhaust and some shock extenders that really helped the handling added to the bike’s performance. Joe pulled up on his bike shortly after, followed by Kelly and his daughter.

Hillbilly Hot dogs has about two dozen different varieties of hot dogs you can get They have one called The Home Wrecker it’s 15” long, and weighs a pound. Once all the condiments are on it, it weighs three pounds or so. And, if that’s not enough, they have one that’s even bigger. I don’t recall the name of it, not it’s specs, but I can’t imagine anyone being able to finish one, though I’m sure that there are people who can and have done so.

The purpose of these Meet&Eats is for socializing. We did that. We talked about all different aspects of motorcycles and motorcycling. We hung around there until about 4:30, then headed out. I had planned my route as a big loop, so I was headed north for a little while before turning west towards Cincinnati.

Four of us headed North while Kelly and his daughter (whose name I can’t remember) headed south towards Huntington. Once we got up to Rt. 35, Brian and I peeled off to go west while Roy and Joe continued north. I split from Brian at Rt. 32. He continued north while I went west. As the sun dropped lower in the sky, the temperatures fell into the mid to upper 80s, making for a delightful ride. I got home a little before sunset.

For me, it was a very enjoyable day and I got to meet with some really good people.

Last edited by Crusty; 6th August 2018 at 16:00..
Old 6th August 2018
I am the great Cornholio!

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki GT550
Other Motorcycle Year: 1974
ParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
A Three State Sunday

Yesterday, I rode to Lesage, West Virginia, ate a couple of Hot Dogs and then rode home.

That’s the truth, but it doesn’t even begin to describe the day I had.

To begin with, the weather was a stereotypically hot like an August Sunday is supposed to be. The thermometer that I saw when I was gassing up for the trip home said 93 F. It was hot, but tolerable at 70 MPH.

I left Cincinnati and took a mix of Interstate and State highways there. I decided to stop at the first Rest Area in West Virginia and get a road map. When I stopped, there was a etched stone monument dedicating the Highway to the Airborne Paratroopers and Glidermen. I thought that was pretty nice. I’ve known a few former Airborne military, including one who got pretty seriously messed up when his chute didn’t open properly.

Anyway, I followed Google’s directions and almost rode past Hillbilly Hot Dogs. The directions said 3.4 miles after I turned right onto Route 2, but it was a bit less.

I don’t know how to describe the place. It’s an assault on your eyes. There’s strange stuff everywhere. We parked beside a rusted old ‘70s vintage Suzuki four that was buried in the ground up to its axles. Everything (and there’s more there than I could look at) screams Hillbilly loudly. From the building construction, to the haphazard scattering of all kinds of stuff. And all of it is covered with graffiti. The Dining area is a couple of old school busses with about a brazillion names on the ceiling in magic marker. There’s a giant “Still” with water coming out of a spiral copper tube and falling into a bathtub that's full of soapsuds with two legs sticking out. There’s a fiberglass speedboat with a “Flying Tigers” shark mouth painted on the bow (we all signed the boat on the forward deck). I saw some kid pick up the receiver on an old dial phone that was there. There’s so much stuff that there’s no way to take it all in. I’m going to have to go back again.

Anyhow, Brian was there when I pulled up and Roy pulled up just after I did. Roy was riding a newer Roadster with the better suspension. He’s put motocross style bars on it and also had the seat reupholstered. A new exhaust and some shock extenders that really helped the handling added to the bike’s performance. Joe pulled up on his bike shortly after, followed by Kelly and his daughter.

Hillbilly Hot dogs has about two dozen different varieties of hot dogs you can get They have one called The Home Wrecker it’s 15” long, and weighs a pound. Once all the condiments are on it, it weighs three pounds or so. And, if that’s not enough, they have one that’s even bigger. I don’t recall the name of it, not it’s specs, but I can’t imagine anyone being able to finish one, though I’m sure that there are people who can and have done so.

The purpose of these Meet&Eats is for socializing. We did that. We talked about all different aspects of motorcycles and motorcycling. We hung around there until about 4:30, then headed out. I had planned my route as a big loop, so I was headed north for a little while before turning west towards Cincinnati.

Four of us headed North while Kelly and his daughter (whose name I can’t remember) headed south towards Huntington. Once we got up to Rt. 35, Brian and I peeled off to go west while Roy and Joe continued north. I split from Brian at Rt. 32. He continued north while I went west. As the sun dropped lower in the sky, the temperatures fell into the mid to upper 80s, making for a delightful ride. I got home a little before sunset.

For me, it was a very enjoyable day and I got to meet with some really good people.

Cool, sounds like a good time

Check out my Blog for my trip reports:

Click here to listen to my interview on the Motorcycle Men Podcast

Click here for the Sportsterpedia! for technical information & advice
Old 6th August 2018
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200L
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2009
BKB has a reputation beyond reputeBKB has a reputation beyond reputeBKB has a reputation beyond reputeBKB has a reputation beyond reputeBKB has a reputation beyond reputeBKB has a reputation beyond reputeBKB has a reputation beyond reputeBKB has a reputation beyond reputeBKB has a reputation beyond reputeBKB has a reputation beyond reputeBKB has a reputation beyond repute

It was a good day, all 'round. Great company, & hot dogs worth a return trip. About 400 miles for me. A mix of mostly 4 lane US routes, 23, 52 & 35 & some 2 laners, WV 2, OH 7, 38, 42 & a couple others. Got home around 8.