The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Active Threads
0 Jacksonville, TX
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 1 Minute Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 8
0 So, anyone wanna talk flat track???
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 9 Minutes Ago
Replies: 63
Views: 4,249
0 It's cantolina's Birthday!
Last Post: wandrur
Posted On: 12 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 7
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 52 Minutes Ago
Replies: 3,188
Views: 354,328
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 43,234
Views: 6,750,266
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Replies: 10,393
Views: 912,214
0 This week on Craig's list
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Replies: 3,857
Views: 435,348
0 Lacing a 21 inch wheel to a 19 inch hub
Last Post: Mad Max
Replies: 20
Views: 417
0 Was your 1st bike a Sportster?
Last Post: Glamazon
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 984
Views: 221,217
0 900 dual carb front head
Last Post: thefrenchowl
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 35
Views: 1,473
0 Clutch issue
Last Post: harley506d
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Views: 81
0 Bendix / Zenith questions
Last Post: DirtyHarry68
Replies: 59
Views: 24,489
0 little rock
Replies: 9
Views: 141
0 Suzuki's Radar Reflector Idea
Last Post: tedg
Replies: 6
Views: 253
0 New acquisition
Replies: 20
Views: 473
0 brake lever for master cylinder.
Views: 58
0 Ignition question
Last Post: Anti-Hero
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 149
0 Upside Down Monoshock IH - A Longterm Project
Last Post: paulc
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 95
Views: 25,459
5 Summer time heat
Last Post: ryder rick
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 25
Views: 1,119
0 79 Tranny
Last Post: ryder rick
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Views: 102
0 R.I.P. Arlen Ness
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Views: 63
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Last Post: Toejam503
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,444
Views: 125,820
0 Have you taken your “dumbass pill” today?
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 23
Views: 1,237
0 883 to 1250 is done
Last Post: John Harper
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Views: 83
0 883N brake/signal problem
Last Post: sportsterdoc
Views: 55
0 I'm going nuts (Adjusting Fuel Mixture)
Last Post: sportsterdoc
Replies: 21
Views: 584
0 How many miles are on your sporty?
Last Post: Crusty
Replies: 1,156
Views: 273,139
0 How long for the XL Member patch?
Last Post: bdawson
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 180
Views: 3,082
0 mid controls
Last Post: whetrick1
Replies: 7
Views: 101
0 Really Hard to start XL1200 C
Last Post: farmall
Replies: 55
Views: 3,004
More...
Members Birthdays
mike, Rick572 (72), Tailchaser (71), Back Road (55), sanman12002003 (54), LilMsRida (54), wargod1 (50), tplyons (32), DOM! (31)
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: 48
Sportster/Buell Year: 2016
Other Motorcycle Model: Softail Special Construct
Other Motorcycle Year: 1992
kuri77 has much to be proud ofkuri77 has much to be proud ofkuri77 has much to be proud ofkuri77 has much to be proud ofkuri77 has much to be proud ofkuri77 has much to be proud ofkuri77 has much to be proud ofkuri77 has much to be proud ofkuri77 has much to be proud ofkuri77 has much to be proud ofkuri77 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbsporty View Post
Just got off the McKees web site and saw the ceramic kit for $125. Little pricey to me
Yeh it is if you don't read the details. That's for a car and includes enough for 4 wheels and all the windows. Don't think I would buy that kit either since I don't have any windows on my bike and enough for four wheels is overkill. I'll be calling them tomorrow and see if there is a mc specific bottle just for paint.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Greasemonkey

kuri77 has much to be proud ofkuri77 has much to be proud ofkuri77 has much to be proud ofkuri77 has much to be proud ofkuri77 has much to be proud ofkuri77 has much to be proud ofkuri77 has much to be proud ofkuri77 has much to be proud ofkuri77 has much to be proud ofkuri77 has much to be proud ofkuri77 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK Custom View Post
I guess I did not mention the cost.
The cost of the prep polish used was in the $2-$3 range. The cost of the coating used was in the $5-$7 range.
The cost advantages is that no other cleaning, waxing, polishing, etc. $ should need to be spent for at least 2 years...so there's that. But that is not why I did it.
The real reason I did it is that I'd rather be riding than cleaning...since that is the case I go months, sometimes well over 10K miles without washing the bike (riding in the rain is as close as they get to being washed sometimes).
Then, when I do eventually wash/clean them, the dirt, bugs, etc. have been on there so long it is a true PITA to get clean.
With the Ceramic coating it should stay looking good much longer, and importantly, when it does come time to actually wash it, it is not a PITA since hardly anything sticks, and what does, comes off very easily.
Kevin
I think a lot of us feel this way. Especially if you live in the SW where we can and I do ride almost every day. If I had to park it all the time due to rain and snow I could probably get into washing more often and it is somewhat therapeutic and stress-relieving. However, (not this month due to constant rain and my cager-induced broken ankle) I'm not doing either. Once I'm back on the road later this month I still want to keep my bike clean and Kevin's info looks like it'll be great for those of us who like to ride clean bikes but with minimum of cleaning.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
XL Forum Gold Supporting Vendor

Sportster/Buell Model: 883L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
DK Custom has a reputation beyond reputeDK Custom has a reputation beyond reputeDK Custom has a reputation beyond reputeDK Custom has a reputation beyond reputeDK Custom has a reputation beyond reputeDK Custom has a reputation beyond reputeDK Custom has a reputation beyond reputeDK Custom has a reputation beyond reputeDK Custom has a reputation beyond reputeDK Custom has a reputation beyond reputeDK Custom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toejam503 View Post
Looks like a very good product. Back in 1997, The car dealership I worked at, offered a product in the same size bottle called Custom Finish?? It looks like the same results you have. $25 a bottle tho @2-4-oz. and $30 for application. Well that program lasted about 3 years and stopped because of price. So, many of us in the shop got what was left over for free. I used to use it on one of my bikes and it was awesome, but I missed the intimacy of polishing my bike every once in awhile. So when I ran out I never thought to look for a similar product in a more "price for what you get" range.
.....I really don't think that cost savings is what people look at over the long run. I think that selling it on the longevity of the shine and the low maintenance of keeping it looking good will sell it. But, having a shine that doesn't take a little work, has a tendency to make a person feel like they are loosing a personal connection they've built with their bike. And for the guy that hates cleaning and waxing, this type of product is probably what they need.
I ride her hard to get that "personal connection".

Seriously though, I do spend more than the average amount of time wrenching on my bikes, due to using them as test beds for R&D, so that makes for a pretty nice connection.

I do know what you mean about that enjoyable evening waxing and polishing. It can be very relaxing.

Unfortunately I have a shortage of time and FOUR bikes that were never clean, and just never seem to be able to slow down enough to get into that groove anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbsporty View Post
Just got off the McKees web site and saw the ceramic kit for $125. Little pricey to me
Yeah. The ceramic coat I got was $45 and the prep polish was around $20, plus I got it with a 10% off coupon.

BUT, I did my wife's F150 Supercab w/ an 8' bed and one motorcycle, and still have over half the ceramic coat left, and probably 2/3 of the prep polish left.

Pretty sure I'm ahead of the game over wax/polish/etc. on the $ front...which is NOT the reason I did it, but it is a nice side benefit.

Kevin
Old 2 Weeks Ago

DK Custom has a reputation beyond reputeDK Custom has a reputation beyond reputeDK Custom has a reputation beyond reputeDK Custom has a reputation beyond reputeDK Custom has a reputation beyond reputeDK Custom has a reputation beyond reputeDK Custom has a reputation beyond reputeDK Custom has a reputation beyond reputeDK Custom has a reputation beyond reputeDK Custom has a reputation beyond reputeDK Custom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuri77 View Post
Sounds like a good way to do it since you'll easily be able to get different angles that show the difference.
Yeah, it's raining and 30* now, and due to be colder over the next few days, but I'm gonna do that on the side of the building as soon as we have a warmer, dry day.

Kevin
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Greasemonkey

Talked to McKee's about this. Good news and bad news. Basically, minimum cost is $18 for the wash and $45 for the coating. Prices DK quoted are the amount he used so he has a lot left over. Bad news, McKees said the wash is probably stable indefinitely but the coating is 1 year shelf life. So you can't buy it thinking this'll keep the paint shining for decades.
The rep said they are going to look into providing a one-time use set for bikes which could be a lot cheaper. He also said if you buy what they have and want to use it before the expiry date it's great for keeping shower doors and windows spotless. I have several bikes but my Sporty is the only one I'd be willing to spend extra $ on for this kind of paint protection. So unless I can find a couple of buddies who want to share doing this I will await McKees getting a cheaper package out.
Old 1 Week Ago

Am super happy to have gotten the Sporty done. It will be a few days before I get it out in the light to really get a good look at it...but, even in the room, and still not cured, it is looking good.

Prepping the paint-

Applying the ceramic coating-

All done and letting it cure-

The paint/clear was in good condition, so very little prep was needed. From start to finish was about 90 minutes.

This is the prep and coating I used.

Looking forward to having the better looking finish, and NOT having to spend a bunch of time keeping it clean!

I also got the TG done this weekend.

Here are a few photo's of it.

Applying the ceramic coating-

Coating on, but not yet cured, nor in the sunlight. While I really like how this improves the look of the paint, what I like More is that it makes keeping it clean so much easier!

Kevin

Last edited by DK Custom; 1 Week Ago at 19:33..
Sponsored Links
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuri77 View Post
Talked to McKee's about this. Good news and bad news. Basically, minimum cost is $18 for the wash and $45 for the coating. Prices DK quoted are the amount he used so he has a lot left over. Bad news, McKees said the wash is probably stable indefinitely but the coating is 1 year shelf life. So you can't buy it thinking this'll keep the paint shining for decades.
The rep said they are going to look into providing a one-time use set for bikes which could be a lot cheaper. He also said if you buy what they have and want to use it before the expiry date it's great for keeping shower doors and windows spotless. I have several bikes but my Sporty is the only one I'd be willing to spend extra $ on for this kind of paint protection. So unless I can find a couple of buddies who want to share doing this I will await McKees getting a cheaper package out.
Yeah, I did not know about the shelf life. With the 4 oz. bottle (that I got in August) I've done the large truck, a Heritage, a Sporty and a Tri-Glide. It's about gone...very little left.

The Prep polish is about half gone.

Kevin
Old 1 Week Ago

A little video we put together-

Kevin