The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Active Threads
0 Jacksonville, TX
Last Post: harley506d
Posted On: 3 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 8
0 So, anyone wanna talk flat track???
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 7 Minutes Ago
Replies: 63
Views: 4,249
0 It's cantolina's Birthday!
Last Post: wandrur
Posted On: 9 Minutes Ago
Views: 7
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 49 Minutes Ago
Replies: 3,188
Views: 354,328
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 43,234
Views: 6,750,266
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Replies: 10,393
Views: 912,214
0 This week on Craig's list
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Replies: 3,857
Views: 435,348
0 Lacing a 21 inch wheel to a 19 inch hub
Last Post: Mad Max
Replies: 20
Views: 417
0 Was your 1st bike a Sportster?
Last Post: Glamazon
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 984
Views: 221,217
0 900 dual carb front head
Last Post: thefrenchowl
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 35
Views: 1,473
0 Clutch issue
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 81
0 Bendix / Zenith questions
Last Post: DirtyHarry68
Replies: 59
Views: 24,489
0 little rock
Replies: 9
Views: 141
0 Suzuki's Radar Reflector Idea
Last Post: tedg
Replies: 6
Views: 253
0 New acquisition
Replies: 20
Views: 473
0 brake lever for master cylinder.
Views: 58
0 Ignition question
Last Post: Anti-Hero
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 149
0 Upside Down Monoshock IH - A Longterm Project
Last Post: paulc
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 95
Views: 25,459
5 Summer time heat
Last Post: ryder rick
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 25
Views: 1,119
0 79 Tranny
Last Post: ryder rick
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 102
0 R.I.P. Arlen Ness
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Views: 63
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Last Post: Toejam503
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,444
Views: 125,820
0 Have you taken your “dumbass pill” today?
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 23
Views: 1,237
0 883 to 1250 is done
Last Post: John Harper
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Views: 83
0 883N brake/signal problem
Last Post: sportsterdoc
Views: 55
0 I'm going nuts (Adjusting Fuel Mixture)
Last Post: sportsterdoc
Replies: 21
Views: 584
0 How many miles are on your sporty?
Last Post: Crusty
Replies: 1,156
Views: 273,139
0 How long for the XL Member patch?
Last Post: bdawson
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 180
Views: 3,082
0 mid controls
Last Post: whetrick1
Replies: 7
Views: 101
0 Really Hard to start XL1200 C
Last Post: farmall
Replies: 55
Views: 3,004
More...
Members Birthdays
mike, Rick572 (72), Tailchaser (71), Back Road (55), sanman12002003 (54), LilMsRida (54), wargod1 (50), tplyons (32), DOM! (31)
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3 Days Ago
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
boomerguy is a splendid one to beholdboomerguy is a splendid one to beholdboomerguy is a splendid one to beholdboomerguy is a splendid one to beholdboomerguy is a splendid one to beholdboomerguy is a splendid one to beholdboomerguy is a splendid one to beholdboomerguy is a splendid one to beholdboomerguy is a splendid one to beholdboomerguy is a splendid one to beholdboomerguy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamazon View Post
83XLX what's the seat likes for comfort? It looks harder than Chuck Norriss!
I'm curious, too. The seat looks hard and thin without rear support to keep you from sliding back. It is pretty, though. You really can't tell until you put a few miles on it with your own personal "bum". I think it would look really cool with coil springs but who knows how that would work...

My 2005 883XL Standard came with the original OEM solo seat, OEM two-up base seat and a Mustang two-up seat. I'm less than 5'7" tall and this is how they fit me:
OEM two-up seat was made to fit both tanks, 5.5 and 3.3 gallons which meant it was 2" farther back from my 3.3 gallon tank and was a challenge for my short reach to the handlebar.
Mustang two-up seat was specifically for my 3.3 gallon tank and snugged up to it perfectly but the base was flat and hard while the rear support felt like a board against my lower back.
OEM solo seat was specifically for my 3.3 gallon tank and is perfect in every way. I have a good reach to the handlebar, good cushion underneath that isn't too hard or too soft and still provides firm support which keeps me from sliding back. However, I can't say this will be the same for everybody.
Sponsored Links
Old 2 Days Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 2005 XL1200Custom
hammer6315 has a brilliant futurehammer6315 has a brilliant futurehammer6315 has a brilliant futurehammer6315 has a brilliant futurehammer6315 has a brilliant futurehammer6315 has a brilliant futurehammer6315 has a brilliant futurehammer6315 has a brilliant futurehammer6315 has a brilliant futurehammer6315 has a brilliant futurehammer6315 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerguy View Post
I changed my fork suspension fluid. Even though it only has 10K miles on it, it is 14 years old. The stuff was solid black and stunk horribly. I locked the front wheel in place with a ratchet strap attached to the footpeg brackets and lifted the bike on my jack just enough to make it level and lighten the front end.
I removed the caps first to allow air in as the fluid drained and it all came out easily but it did take about 15 minutes for all the dripping to stop.
I replaced the OEM caps ("with a little help from my friends" holding down the springs) with the aftermarket ones from J&P Cycle with the inner fill cap so that I won't have to endure that agony again. This means I won't have to remove the caps or handlebar the next time.
Even though the owner's manual and "blue bible" say the capacity is 11.6 oz., only 10 oz drained and that is the amount I replaced.
It's supposed to rain tomorrow so I'll have to wait to see if there is any difference in the ride.
I doubt that you'll notice any difference. I don't believe the motor company puts drain plugs on the Sportster after ~'03. No tranny level plugs either. Now they want you to remove 6 screws and a cover to check the tranny level! As you did, I replace the amt. that I drain, and leave it at that.
Old 2 Days Ago
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLX-61
Sportster/Buell Year: 1983
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CL350
Other Motorcycle Year: 1969
83XLX has a reputation beyond repute83XLX has a reputation beyond repute83XLX has a reputation beyond repute83XLX has a reputation beyond repute83XLX has a reputation beyond repute83XLX has a reputation beyond repute83XLX has a reputation beyond repute83XLX has a reputation beyond repute83XLX has a reputation beyond repute83XLX has a reputation beyond repute83XLX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamazon View Post
83XLX what's the seat likes for comfort? It looks harder than Chuck Norriss!

It's ok for about 30 minutes. It's not as hard as an old Badlander seat I have. It looks good, so for around town, it's fine. I also have one (and the matching p-pad) from '84-up and it's much more comfortable, but you lose the looks with it.

If I'm going on a ride that covers some serious distance, I use an OEM seat from an 883 Deluxe that I had some extra foam added to. It's pretty comfortable. Easy to switch out - just one screw to remove.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it (especially if you don't know what you're doing). Most Sportster problems are owner-induced.
Old 2 Days Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
harley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerguy View Post
I changed my fork suspension fluid. Even though it only has 10K miles on it, it is 14 years old. The stuff was solid black and stunk horribly. I locked the front wheel in place with a ratchet strap attached to the footpeg brackets and lifted the bike on my jack just enough to make it level and lighten the front end.
I removed the caps first to allow air in as the fluid drained and it all came out easily but it did take about 15 minutes for all the dripping to stop.
I replaced the OEM caps ("with a little help from my friends" holding down the springs) with the aftermarket ones from J&P Cycle with the inner fill cap so that I won't have to endure that agony again. This means I won't have to remove the caps or handlebar the next time.
Even though the owner's manual and "blue bible" say the capacity is 11.6 oz., only 10 oz drained and that is the amount I replaced.
It's supposed to rain tomorrow so I'll have to wait to see if there is any difference in the ride.
The only way to get it all out is to remove the legs individually and pour the oil out of the top. You can pump the forks in situ and this will help, but by the time you have removed the caliper/wheel and fender, it's only a few more bolts to drop the forks out.
There will be loads of old sludge still in there, but you can rinse the forks out with cleaner (paraffin/diesel), although you may have to do this several times before it comes out clean. If you decide to do it again this way, remember to slacken the top nut while the forks are clamped in the bike.

Last edited by Folkie; 1 Day Ago at 21:21.. Reason: Fixed quote
Old 2 Days Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 48
Sportster/Buell Year: 2012
Knuckles has a reputation beyond reputeKnuckles has a reputation beyond reputeKnuckles has a reputation beyond reputeKnuckles has a reputation beyond reputeKnuckles has a reputation beyond reputeKnuckles has a reputation beyond reputeKnuckles has a reputation beyond reputeKnuckles has a reputation beyond reputeKnuckles has a reputation beyond reputeKnuckles has a reputation beyond reputeKnuckles has a reputation beyond repute

Order a new set of Khrome Werks 3in. HP Plus tapered slip ons.
Old 2 Days Ago
Chief Opinion Expert

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 05
60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute

Put my 440s on. Took a whole 20 minutes. Put the battery back in yet and fire it up for the first time this spring and since my Hammer 570 cams and Straightshots install. Can't forget my new C&C seat.
Waiting on my Intiminators yet too.
Gonna have to update my Sig one of these days.

Last edited by 60Gunner; 2 Days Ago at 00:19..
Old 1 Day Ago
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2016
newroadster has much to be proud ofnewroadster has much to be proud ofnewroadster has much to be proud ofnewroadster has much to be proud ofnewroadster has much to be proud ofnewroadster has much to be proud ofnewroadster has much to be proud ofnewroadster has much to be proud ofnewroadster has much to be proud ofnewroadster has much to be proud ofnewroadster has much to be proud of

Installed my new Shorai battery to replace the Harley battery that failed in 2 years. Sure starts better! Guess we will see how long it last
Old 1 Day Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH883DLX
Sportster/Buell Year: 1992
NLXL is an unknown quantity at this point

Today I changed the dragbar with the 7"risers for an XLX style bar and standard risers. Way better!

Once I had an XLX and an XL883R with these bars. I like(d) them :-)
Old 1 Day Ago
Brass Nut

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200CB
Sportster/Buell Year: 2015
Other Motorcycle Model: CRF250L
Other Motorcycle Year: 2017
Folkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by newroadster View Post
the Harley battery that failed in 2 years.
That's very unusual!

There is nothing at the end of any road better than may be found beside it. Edward Thomas (1878 - 1917)