The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 Tried to buy a new helmet
Last Post: DEEP DIVER
Posted On: 5 Minutes Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 492
0 Solo racks?
Last Post: Cablejudge
Posted On: 49 Minutes Ago
Replies: 20
Views: 598
3 Wtb, Wts, Wtt, Wtg (EFIs)
Last Post: Grymy
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 62,258
0 New From CA
Last Post: juzyHD
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 85
0 Who Runs Turn Signals?
Last Post: vagrant318
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 341
Views: 65,352
0 This week on Craig's list
Last Post: Iron Mike
Replies: 3,386
Views: 304,297
0 Average age of the Ironhead forum users
Last Post: Martysf
Replies: 403
Views: 65,499
0 Slip on muffler
Last Post: Tucsonmax1
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 227
Views: 66,497
0 '04 Carb Tuning issue.... the 'carb' pop!
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 20
Views: 374
0 FNG from OKC
Replies: 10
Views: 218
0 New in NM
Replies: 7
Views: 151
0 Stage 1 results
Last Post: 09Nightsterrider
Replies: 2
Views: 69
0 Need advice (Falters When Turning Corners)
Last Post: Krjrcustom1
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 108
0 1977, Installing pinion gear on pinion shaft...
Last Post: bustert
Replies: 6
Views: 201
0 Spokes or Mags
Last Post: sportsterdoc
Replies: 311
Views: 51,993
More...
Members Birthdays
leprechaun50 (68), Hammerhead (55), kjy026 (46), RoseLady (46), hradek422 (30)
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th March 2018
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: Xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Heff is just really niceHeff is just really niceHeff is just really niceHeff is just really niceHeff is just really niceHeff is just really niceHeff is just really niceHeff is just really niceHeff is just really niceHeff is just really niceHeff is just really nice
Default Bent rear hub and questions

So I recently noticed a new problem with my bike. I noticed my new chain was very tight for half a rear wheel revolution, and very loose for the other half.
First thing I did was check that the wheel was centered in the swing arm. I measured the distance from the center of the axle to the back of the shock stud and evened every thing out, and that didn't change anything, and it wasn't even off to begin with. But I took the time to ensure it was good.
Then I installed another new chain. Same thing.
Then I pulled the pinion cover, thought maybe something mysteriously got bent in that area. Nothing.
So i started looking harder at the rear wheel. The sprocket and drum aren't as true as they could be. But. When looking at the gear from the back of the bike the up and down run out is all to hell. So I spin the wheel, and noticed the left side of the hub flange is very, very bent. I never saw this problem at any time I had the bike apart or reassembling. I did hit a big big pothole the other night and immediately felt a vibration. I spun the wheel the next day and noticed it as bent, like the rim itself. But I didn't ser the issue with the chain at that time. How in the world does a hub get bent?
Anyway...
Now I need a wheel, or a new hub. I have aluminum boranni wheels, and want to keep them.
So...a new hub is way cheaper than a wheel. My spokes are clean, can I reuse those? I'd be having the wheel trued anyway. They aren't rusty. They arent broken. And none are bent. I'd prefer to reuse them also to keep things from looking brand new.
Old 16th March 2018
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1960
brucstoudt has much to be proud ofbrucstoudt has much to be proud ofbrucstoudt has much to be proud ofbrucstoudt has much to be proud ofbrucstoudt has much to be proud ofbrucstoudt has much to be proud ofbrucstoudt has much to be proud ofbrucstoudt has much to be proud ofbrucstoudt has much to be proud ofbrucstoudt has much to be proud ofbrucstoudt has much to be proud of

if this damage is from a pothole,the rim took most of the hit.check that out closely once it's stripped down.
72 1000cc barrels and heads, s&s 41/2'' flywheels, sifton cams, s&s super B w/ zippers thunderjet w/yost powertube, andrews gears,and shafts, competition engineering kevlar wet or dry clutch, 72 oil pump, morris magneto w/auto advance and single fire module, cycle electric generator w/electronic regulator,73 cu.in.
Old 16th March 2018
Flat Track Racer

Heff is just really niceHeff is just really niceHeff is just really niceHeff is just really niceHeff is just really niceHeff is just really niceHeff is just really niceHeff is just really niceHeff is just really niceHeff is just really niceHeff is just really nice

After measuring and staring at sprockets and new chains and thinking and measuring stuff again...
It's my brake drum. The drum itself is round. But the part of the sprocket where the chain rollers sit isn't. They're almost 2mm deeper for half of the sprocket. So when that part rolls around the chain gets tighter. The other half of the sprocket comes around, the chain goes slack.
The left side of the hub flange is bent. But doesnt seem to have any ill effect on anything. The right side of the hub is fairly true, at least when it's in a truing stand.
This drum is after market, but fairly new, with no excessively worn teeth. The teeth actually look very been with a flat tip and no shark finning. A friend of a friend has a good used drum to sell me cheap, so hopefully that will get me rolling.
Old 18th March 2018
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLB, XLCH, Sporton
Sportster/Buell Year: 1962
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1966
Other Motorcycle Model: XLCH (Another one)
Other Motorcycle Year: 1966
Ferrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond repute

Are you using the correct brake drum bolts ?
These are shouldered bolts designed to fit snugly into the drum. If you stick ordinary bolts in there the drum can move around.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Flat Track Racer

I do have the correct bolts in there. It was the drum, or ring gear, or both.
I got an oe drum from a friend, and took care of the problem. So I got to ride today for a few hours with 0 issues. This bike feels so good, it's gonna be hard to part with
Old 4 Weeks Ago
I have been revived

Sportster/Buell Year: 1961
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Xl 883n
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2010
Other Motorcycle Model: XL CE Tribute
Other Motorcycle Year: 1977
brianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heff View Post
I do have the correct bolts in there. It was the drum, or ring gear, or both.
I got an oe drum from a friend, and took care of the problem. So I got to ride today for a few hours with 0 issues. This bike feels so good, it's gonna be hard to part with
Why do you have to part with the bike?
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Flat Track Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianbbs67 View Post
Why do you have to part with the bike?
I don't. I was gonna get something for me and my gf to ride together.

But you know...a cobra seat and 11" shoveledhead fx shocks are getting to be the lesser of the pains in the ass
Old 4 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLB, XLCH, Sporton
Sportster/Buell Year: 1962
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1966
Other Motorcycle Model: XLCH (Another one)
Other Motorcycle Year: 1966
Ferrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond repute

So the GF has to go ?
Old 4 Weeks Ago
I have been revived

Sportster/Buell Year: 1961
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Xl 883n
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2010
Other Motorcycle Model: XL CE Tribute
Other Motorcycle Year: 1977
brianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heff View Post
I don't. I was gonna get something for me and my gf to ride together.

But you know...a cobra seat and 11" shoveledhead fx shocks are getting to be the lesser of the pains in the ass
Well, if she hasnt ridden before, she won't know the diffence in ride of a BT. Ignorance can be used to advantage. If not doable, get another bike that you both ride and keep the Sporty for you.
Sponsored Links