The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Active Threads
0 Turn Signal Relocate issue
Last Post: Tucsonmax1
Posted On: 1 Minute Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 79
0 Color
Last Post: Beazer
Posted On: 2 Minutes Ago
Replies: 36
Views: 797
0 Transmission help!!! tire locks up downshifting!!!
Last Post: iNSaNeSHaNe
Posted On: 2 Minutes Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 171
5 Your stomping grounds
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 22 Minutes Ago
Replies: 233
Views: 25,072
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 24 Minutes Ago
Replies: 39,792
Views: 6,088,514
0 How many miles are on your sporty?
Last Post: TomD
Posted On: 26 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1,097
Views: 241,773
0 PLEASE READ THIS Before You Post In 'The BUY - SELL - TRADE Zone'!
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 27 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 2,037
0 Lets see your off season builds
Last Post: cycowrencher
Posted On: 32 Minutes Ago
Replies: 992
Views: 100,306
0 2010 model 883 EFI to carb potato idle
Last Post: northshore
Posted On: 33 Minutes Ago
Replies: 101
Views: 13,995
0 Hello from Kentucky
Last Post: iNSaNeSHaNe
Posted On: 33 Minutes Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 62
0 What did you do to your EFI Sporty today?
Last Post: Glamazon
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 3,872
Views: 646,557
0 Modding time!! Biting the Bullet
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 187
Views: 17,873
0 Gaskets & Rubber
Last Post: ericfreeman
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 102
0 You asked for it! "The Tess' Coffee Thread"
Last Post: sportytrace
Replies: 9,930
Views: 582,386
0 Lowboy frame conversion
Last Post: brucstoudt
Replies: 12
Views: 341
More...
Members Birthdays
WinXP (67), Maggie (61), grancan1 (53), SRKASM (47), metalmessiah, o113attitude (43), stinkynate (35), wingman_214 (34)
View Poll Results: Do you prefer mids or forwards?
Mid controls 93 46.50%
Forward controls 107 53.50%
Voters: 200. You may not vote on this poll

Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th July 2016
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1991
Other Motorcycle Model: honda 750 sabre
Other Motorcycle Year: 1983
uriah is an unknown quantity at this point

Mids. Always mids but I do have highway pegs to strech out a little even thought they're not that far forward so I don't look like a flying squirrel just yeet.
Old 11th July 2016
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 93
Other Motorcycle Model: '72 Bonnie
sportytrash is a splendid one to beholdsportytrash is a splendid one to beholdsportytrash is a splendid one to beholdsportytrash is a splendid one to beholdsportytrash is a splendid one to beholdsportytrash is a splendid one to beholdsportytrash is a splendid one to beholdsportytrash is a splendid one to beholdsportytrash is a splendid one to beholdsportytrash is a splendid one to beholdsportytrash is a splendid one to behold

Mids . I do all my own stunts and I don't want to go about them like I'm in a recliner. I'm gonna be on the edge of my seat. I'll stretch out on the back pegs. I'll make some rear sets someday I imagine.

Defender of the faith

Powerhouse drifter
Old 11th July 2016
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200X
Sportster/Buell Year: 2011
the48sportyrider is a splendid one to beholdthe48sportyrider is a splendid one to beholdthe48sportyrider is a splendid one to beholdthe48sportyrider is a splendid one to beholdthe48sportyrider is a splendid one to beholdthe48sportyrider is a splendid one to beholdthe48sportyrider is a splendid one to beholdthe48sportyrider is a splendid one to beholdthe48sportyrider is a splendid one to beholdthe48sportyrider is a splendid one to beholdthe48sportyrider is a splendid one to behold

Forwards because it's more comfy. A little bit of a stretch at 5'5" on my 48 but actually better control drifting with them and drifting is half of my fun if not more.
Old 13th July 2016
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2012
Sportster/Buell Model #2: X1 Lightning
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2001
Other Motorcycle Model: Ducati ST2
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
Maximus924 is a glorious beacon of lightMaximus924 is a glorious beacon of lightMaximus924 is a glorious beacon of lightMaximus924 is a glorious beacon of lightMaximus924 is a glorious beacon of lightMaximus924 is a glorious beacon of lightMaximus924 is a glorious beacon of lightMaximus924 is a glorious beacon of lightMaximus924 is a glorious beacon of lightMaximus924 is a glorious beacon of lightMaximus924 is a glorious beacon of light

on my sportster, forwards. I had never ridden with forward controls, my Nighty came with them (used, PO swapped em) and I love the comfort. My Buell and Ducati give me all the sport riding I need, the sportster (ironically) is there to ride through town or on a short wine country road.

If I planned on "sport" riding my sportster, I would really consider taking my Nightster back to mids though... It really depends on a persons size, and riding style.
Old 17th July 2016
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 883/1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1996
The Crusher has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crusher has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crusher has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crusher has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crusher has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crusher has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crusher has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crusher has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crusher has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crusher has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crusher has a reputation beyond repute

I just put my mids back on and felt my feet were just a little too high with the factory squish pegs, so I swapped the passenger pegs for them and they work perfectly. I left the forwards on, just unhooked linkages and tied things up for now. Got a set of used wide flat pegs for the forwards, so I now have mids, forwards and comfortable buddies for three foot positions with shifting and braking on the mids. Next project is an attempt at shift and brake linkages so I can brake and shift from mids and forwards.
Old 17th July 2016
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200CP
Sportster/Buell Year: 2015
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH1200 (traded in)
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1998
jzink0883 has a reputation beyond reputejzink0883 has a reputation beyond reputejzink0883 has a reputation beyond reputejzink0883 has a reputation beyond reputejzink0883 has a reputation beyond reputejzink0883 has a reputation beyond reputejzink0883 has a reputation beyond reputejzink0883 has a reputation beyond reputejzink0883 has a reputation beyond reputejzink0883 has a reputation beyond reputejzink0883 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crusher View Post
Next project is an attempt at shift and brake linkages so I can brake and shift from mids and forwards.
A member at the old XL-List set up his Evo with mids and forwards with dual controls. I think he was from the Milwaukee area. His username referenced hunting.
Old 22nd July 2016
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 883/1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1996
The Crusher has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crusher has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crusher has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crusher has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crusher has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crusher has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crusher has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crusher has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crusher has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crusher has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crusher has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzink0883 View Post
A member at the old XL-List set up his Evo with mids and forwards with dual controls. I think he was from the Milwaukee area. His username referenced hunting.
I figured out a way to easily slave my mids and forwards. It looks slightly disconcerting but they work perfectly.

http://xlforum.net/forums/s...ghlight=slaved
Sponsored Links
Old 22nd July 2016
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883►1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1994
IXL2Relax has disabled reputation

I have Mids - but PREFER and USE Hiway Pegs 99% of the time - Shift (& brake) with the back of my boot... So you may need a third option to cover the bases...

See this thread:
http://xlforum.net/forums/s...readid=1915653

I personally don't like NO MIDS as they represent an option for leg position and can increase control when necessary...

.....~\
__o~~o__
IXL2Relax
>>>> Build & Ride Reports Are Here <<<<
Old 22nd July 2016
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 883r
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
quazy r is a glorious beacon of lightquazy r is a glorious beacon of lightquazy r is a glorious beacon of lightquazy r is a glorious beacon of lightquazy r is a glorious beacon of lightquazy r is a glorious beacon of lightquazy r is a glorious beacon of lightquazy r is a glorious beacon of lightquazy r is a glorious beacon of lightquazy r is a glorious beacon of lightquazy r is a glorious beacon of light

I like the Mids with Highway pegs on my 06 883R more comfortable for me on short rides. When I got my 06 1200R it had forwards and that was too far to stretch so I bought the 2 inch reduced kit and brought them back and now for longer rides its all good. Along with that I took my passenger peg mounts turned them upside down and switched sides and now the passenger pegs are lower and further forward which makes it more comfortable for the passenger
Old 22nd July 2016
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200V
Sportster/Buell Year: 2014
Other Motorcycle Model: Triumph Thunderbird 1700
Other Motorcycle Year: 2010
slcharger has much to be proud ofslcharger has much to be proud ofslcharger has much to be proud ofslcharger has much to be proud ofslcharger has much to be proud ofslcharger has much to be proud ofslcharger has much to be proud ofslcharger has much to be proud ofslcharger has much to be proud ofslcharger has much to be proud ofslcharger has much to be proud of

Mids are more comfortable, forwards look better. My 72 is born with forwards, but being 6’4”, I plan to extend them with 4-6”. Right now they feel like semi mids.

Money can't buy you love or happiness, but it can buy you a Harley, and that is damn close

14" Arlen Nees brake, Cobra Speedster shorts exhaust, Cobra ProFlo air intake, Hammer Perf. 570 cams, Seat upgrade, Progressive 970 piggyback shocks rear, Progressive monotube fork catridge, 4.5 gallon tank, Michelin Commander 2 tires, 9 degree Chopper Supply rake kit, Kuryakun ISO grips, Chrome rear swinger, TTS modified tune.