The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE & BUELL MOTORCYCLE FORUM - GENERAL DISCUSSION > Riding Tips & Safety Advice
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Riding Tips & Safety Advice Got a question about your riding technique or safety issues?

Active Threads
5 Your stomping grounds
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 9 Minutes Ago
Replies: 233
Views: 25,072
0 Transmission help!!! tire locks up downshifting!!!
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 11 Minutes Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 171
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 11 Minutes Ago
Replies: 39,792
Views: 6,088,514
0 Turn Signal Relocate issue
Last Post: Tucsonmax1
Posted On: 12 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 79
0 How many miles are on your sporty?
Last Post: TomD
Posted On: 13 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1,097
Views: 241,773
0 PLEASE READ THIS Before You Post In 'The BUY - SELL - TRADE Zone'!
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 14 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 2,037
0 Lets see your off season builds
Last Post: cycowrencher
Posted On: 19 Minutes Ago
Replies: 992
Views: 100,306
0 2010 model 883 EFI to carb potato idle
Last Post: northshore
Posted On: 20 Minutes Ago
Replies: 101
Views: 13,995
0 Hello from Kentucky
Last Post: iNSaNeSHaNe
Posted On: 21 Minutes Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 62
0 What did you do to your EFI Sporty today?
Last Post: Glamazon
Posted On: 57 Minutes Ago
Replies: 3,872
Views: 646,557
0 Modding time!! Biting the Bullet
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 187
Views: 17,873
0 Gaskets & Rubber
Last Post: ericfreeman
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 102
0 You asked for it! "The Tess' Coffee Thread"
Last Post: sportytrace
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 9,930
Views: 582,386
0 Lowboy frame conversion
Last Post: brucstoudt
Replies: 12
Views: 341
0 Help with digital speedo thats driving me crazy!!!
Last Post: Sportster-92
Replies: 13
Views: 240
More...
Members Birthdays
WinXP (67), Maggie (61), grancan1 (53), SRKASM (47), metalmessiah, o113attitude (43), stinkynate (35), wingman_214 (34)
View Poll Results: Do you blip the throttle when downshifting?
Always / Most of the time... 640 56.34%
Sometimes / Depends on the circumstance... 326 28.70%
Never / Hardly ever... 170 14.96%
Voters: 1136. You may not vote on this poll

Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th September 2006
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Clarinetcat is a glorious beacon of lightClarinetcat is a glorious beacon of lightClarinetcat is a glorious beacon of lightClarinetcat is a glorious beacon of lightClarinetcat is a glorious beacon of lightClarinetcat is a glorious beacon of lightClarinetcat is a glorious beacon of lightClarinetcat is a glorious beacon of lightClarinetcat is a glorious beacon of lightClarinetcat is a glorious beacon of lightClarinetcat is a glorious beacon of light
Default Do you blip the throttle when downshifting?

Today was a great day riding... about 150 miles. I did some 2up slow touring, some solo twisties, and a great solo run on the highway to complete my afternoon.

While riding today, for some reason I was really focused on my shifting technique... especially downshifting before corners and while braking. I noticed that I almost always blip the throttle before snickin it down a gear. Is this a bad habit? Good habit? Something that is recommended? I have no idea how I developed the technique, whether it was instinctual, or something picked up from watching and listening to other riders over the years... no one ever taught me to do this.

So please comment about your shifting technique and give your input in the poll...
Ride safely, and be well!

2006 Sportster 1200 Custom, Vivid Black
Taxes paid:
Ness Big Sucker with dodgenbullets breather, Samson BigGuns3 Slashers, HONK HONK Stebel AirHorn
Cat's Litter Box
Let me OUT! I wanna go ride my Sporty!
Got a cat the other day. Had to swerve to get it, but I got it.
Old 17th September 2006
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 1250 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
TiBaal89 is on a distinguished roadTiBaal89 is on a distinguished roadTiBaal89 is on a distinguished road

Best technique is to match the revs of the motor to where it should be when you get into that new gear... when downshifting this means obviously you need to be at a higher engine speed.

Sounds good to me!
Old 17th September 2006
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883L
kodekitten will become famous soon enoughkodekitten will become famous soon enoughkodekitten will become famous soon enoughkodekitten will become famous soon enoughkodekitten will become famous soon enoughkodekitten will become famous soon enough

When I downshift, if I hit it at just the right mph, I can roll off the throttle, pull in the clutch, hit the shifter and you won't notice a single change in the engine. It'll be perfectly smooth, no lurching or overreving. When I do that, I'm not blipping the throttle beforehand. I'm simply letting go of it and then shifting downward.

Last edited by kodekitten; 18th September 2006 at 00:30..
Old 17th September 2006
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Custom
Other Motorcycle Model: Mustang GT
Other Motorcycle Year: 2005
XL O.C.D. has a spectacular aura aboutXL O.C.D. has a spectacular aura aboutXL O.C.D. has a spectacular aura aboutXL O.C.D. has a spectacular aura aboutXL O.C.D. has a spectacular aura aboutXL O.C.D. has a spectacular aura aboutXL O.C.D. has a spectacular aura aboutXL O.C.D. has a spectacular aura aboutXL O.C.D. has a spectacular aura aboutXL O.C.D. has a spectacular aura aboutXL O.C.D. has a spectacular aura about

Brings the engine speed up just a little bit before shifting to the lower gear. Also makes a little noise and gets the attention of the car behind you so they know you're slowing. Sounds like a win-win to me.
Old 17th September 2006
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Custom
Clarinetcat is a glorious beacon of lightClarinetcat is a glorious beacon of lightClarinetcat is a glorious beacon of lightClarinetcat is a glorious beacon of lightClarinetcat is a glorious beacon of lightClarinetcat is a glorious beacon of lightClarinetcat is a glorious beacon of lightClarinetcat is a glorious beacon of lightClarinetcat is a glorious beacon of lightClarinetcat is a glorious beacon of lightClarinetcat is a glorious beacon of light

Hmmmm... this is interesting so far. Including my vote, so far it is dead even between Blipping / Not Blipping.

Thanks to those that have responded... comments are always great to see what people are thinking and their rationale behind their riding technique.
Old 17th September 2006
Senior Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLC1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
DC in PHX is just really niceDC in PHX is just really niceDC in PHX is just really niceDC in PHX is just really niceDC in PHX is just really niceDC in PHX is just really niceDC in PHX is just really niceDC in PHX is just really niceDC in PHX is just really niceDC in PHX is just really niceDC in PHX is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodekitten
When I downshift, if I hit it at just the right mph, I can roll off the throttle, pull in the clutch, hit the shifter and you won't notice a single change in the engine. It'll be perfectly smooth, no lurching or overreving.
Ditto on that! Good topic.
DC
Old 17th September 2006
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 Custom
dagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the rough

Hmmm...something I don't think about, but I keep it smooth to match the new lower gear. Sometimes I get snakebit by something (cager stays on the brakes) that might throw my timing off (like I'm set for a 3rd gear roll on and the cage stays stopped).
Old 17th September 2006
Riding with Angels

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XLH 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
Jimbo999 is a jewel in the roughJimbo999 is a jewel in the roughJimbo999 is a jewel in the roughJimbo999 is a jewel in the roughJimbo999 is a jewel in the roughJimbo999 is a jewel in the roughJimbo999 is a jewel in the roughJimbo999 is a jewel in the roughJimbo999 is a jewel in the roughJimbo999 is a jewel in the roughJimbo999 is a jewel in the rough

I voted Yes,
Old school habit.........Like another said. If you blip just right you don't even
notice the change just higher RPM at the same speed. In town it's nice to keep the revs up for handling and saftey reasons.
Blue Loctite is your Friend
Old 17th September 2006
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Other Motorcycle Model: Dyna Fat Bob
Other Motorcycle Year: 2008
dooley has a spectacular aura aboutdooley has a spectacular aura aboutdooley has a spectacular aura aboutdooley has a spectacular aura aboutdooley has a spectacular aura aboutdooley has a spectacular aura aboutdooley has a spectacular aura aboutdooley has a spectacular aura aboutdooley has a spectacular aura aboutdooley has a spectacular aura about

Depends on the situation.
If I`m downshifting to gain momentum up a hill, Yes.
Going into a turn, Yes....sometimes.
If I`m slowly coming to a stop at an intersection, No....Unless I`m trying to get someones attention.
As far as the motor and tranny are concerned, you need to equalize the engine speed to avoid lurching or worse.
Sponsored Links
Old 17th September 2006
Ride That F'N Sportster

Sportster/Buell Model: Highly modified 1200 c
Sportster/Buell Year: 01
Sportster/Buell Model #2: KX450F
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHX H-D Street glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
xllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond repute

Helps un-load the transmission as you downshift, can also be used to gear brake as you setup for a corner, if done correctly you won't notice any speed loss in engine so you can maintain proper RPM's for slowing or accelerating out of corners. Old Racers trick. Do it everytime i ride.

BTW- can also be used if you missed an upshift, also helps un- load tranny so you can double clutch without putting to much wear and tear on the shifting dogs.

When life throws a curve...lean into it and open the throttle

The wind, weather, and two wheels...what else do you need??

Last edited by xllent01; 17th September 2006 at 23:52..