The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Styles > Sport-Glide / Sportster Motorcycle Touring
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sport-Glide / Sportster Motorcycle Touring This section is for the discussion of setting up you Sportster motorcycle touring and long distance riding.

Active Threads
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 14 Minutes Ago
Replies: 10,312
Views: 906,371
0 A different Oil filter test
Last Post: harley506d
Posted On: 14 Minutes Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 137
0 What brand synthetic oil do you use
Last Post: 60Gunner
Posted On: 17 Minutes Ago
Replies: 392
Views: 100,795
0 Tacho Ratio's
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 20 Minutes Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 307
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 31 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1,415
Views: 123,079
0 Replacing Stock Sealed Beam Headlight in my 1991
Last Post: John Harper
Posted On: 31 Minutes Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 180
0 This week on Craig's list
Posted On: 32 Minutes Ago
Replies: 3,827
Views: 431,815
0 Air Filter Soaks With Gas
Last Post: 60Gunner
Posted On: 35 Minutes Ago
Views: 104
0 Gotta Start a Thread for the Streetfighter Too!
Last Post: Nibelungen
Posted On: 36 Minutes Ago
Replies: 96
Views: 17,911
0 Peanut, 3.3 or 4.5 gas tank ?
Last Post: 83XLX
Posted On: 39 Minutes Ago
Replies: 222
Views: 61,704
0 sporty
Last Post: Toejam503
Posted On: 40 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 16
0 1980 Sputhe Sportster
Posted On: 40 Minutes Ago
Replies: 53
Views: 2,689
0 Supertrapp exhaust too &%$#in loud!
Last Post: themadone
Posted On: 41 Minutes Ago
Replies: 41
Views: 2,176
0 Forum problems???
Last Post: Toejam503
Posted On: 42 Minutes Ago
Replies: 84
Views: 3,555
0 1987 XLH1100 Gas in Oil tank
Last Post: rebel7
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 18
Views: 413
0 Hello from the Netherlands!
Last Post: khav
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 19
Views: 311
0 Khk flywheels in my ironhead....timing
Last Post: vonhatch
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 18
0 Cv carb jet question
Last Post: Bob F
Replies: 3
Views: 105
0 Harbour Freight jack
Last Post: Bob F
Replies: 14
Views: 593
0 Crusty's Travels
Replies: 2,009
Views: 241,103
0 Safety Announcement; Re: Saint Patrick
Last Post: decman
Views: 154
7 Oldest Motorcycle You've Owned
Last Post: hammer6315
Replies: 43
Views: 1,749
0 900 dual carb front head
Last Post: Iron Mike
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Views: 500
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Replies: 3,166
Views: 350,847
0 What did you do to your EFI Sporty today?
Last Post: Bryan83taco
Replies: 3,911
Views: 735,921
0 Replace crank bearings
Last Post: Maxdog2
Replies: 4
Views: 289
0 VOES Switch on CV carb conversion.
Last Post: BlackAce
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 400
0 ....1
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 4,809
Views: 274,748
0 HD 100th Anniversary Sporty Pic Thread
Last Post: MoneyFor
Replies: 209
Views: 125,792
0 LED turn signals problem?
Last Post: Scuba10jdl
Views: 120
More...
Members Birthdays
drifter44 (75), Streak70 (71), Rayzer (61), ridefree1 (57), erk (53), LOBO (51), motley79 (40), polaris0352 (38), TManos916 (38)
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th January 2019
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2014
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200CP
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2012
Other Motorcycle Model: Fat Bob, KTMs & Vintage
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
Jcolleyoh is an unknown quantity at this point

John, I've got two 2012 Customs for sale for you to ponder and at a darn good price! Speaking of radio stations in Cinti, I remember one of my favorite TV shows was WKRP in Cincinnati. Oh Loni!
Old 11th January 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: XLCH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1979
Crusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond repute

My Brain Hurts

In my last Snippet, I wrote about rust on my fender and trying to decide whether to get all the sheet metal painted Soul Red, or whether to buy a new fender and have it painted black to match the paint on the Roadster. I e-mailed the Snippet out and posted it on both the XL Forum and BadWeB. Then, Joe posted a link to a wrecked bike that’s for sale cheap with the admonition, Don't look at this unless your prepared to send your brain off in another direction. It could be perfect with as much as you want to change anyway…

Of course, I looked, and it did send my brain off in another direction. Kind of like riding a mental roller coaster at really high speed. While the Buy It Now price is a very reasonable $3200, it’s still more than I can afford. But it’s up for auction similar to eBay, and I decided to figure out how much cash I can come up with. I registered with the site and I called a friend in Massachusetts to see if he would be willing to go pick it up. The bike’s in Vermont. It’s a 2016 Roadster with 5,000 miles on it. I don’t expect that I’m going to win it, but it might happen. In the book, The Richest Man in Babylon, one of the rules for making money was, the goddess of Good Luck favors men of action. If I let this opportunity go by without trying, I have zero chance of getting that bike. If I make a serious attempt, they might just accept my offer. In other words, I have nothing to lose by trying.

The auction is running until Wednesday. I’m hoping that my information will clear before then. I had to give them my name, address and other details and send them a copy of my Driver’s License so they can check me out, before I’m allowed to bid. Some of the vehicles can only be sold to validated businesses, but some can be sold to individuals.
I enjoy building a bike and this would be one that I can ride to the Beaufort Sea (Arctic Ocean). I know what I want to do to it to make it right for my needs. It would be similar to what I’ve done for the Roadster, but it would be better. Better suspension, better wheel sizes so I would have a better choice of tires and the engine is fuel injected. With the other changes I plan to make, it would be a great Exploration ride and mile eater.

So, I’m really hoping that it all falls into place. The probability is that I won’t get it, but there’s a chance I will. If it’s meant to happen, it will.
Old 11th January 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1460C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: XL1200R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
sportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond repute

Like you said,”nothing ventured, nothing gained”, am guessing time will tell and fingers crossed for you!
Oh, and Jim,”Stairman”, and myself are booked for the Mile.
I.B.A.#26543, Growing old-Mandatory/ Growing up-optional. Men do not quit playing because they get old, they get old because they stop playing!

The XL Forum Sportsterpedia:
http://sportsterpedia.com/doku.php/starthttp://xlforum.net/forums/images/editor/quote.gif
Old 11th January 2019
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
gravydog has a reputation beyond reputegravydog has a reputation beyond reputegravydog has a reputation beyond reputegravydog has a reputation beyond reputegravydog has a reputation beyond reputegravydog has a reputation beyond reputegravydog has a reputation beyond reputegravydog has a reputation beyond reputegravydog has a reputation beyond reputegravydog has a reputation beyond reputegravydog has a reputation beyond repute

Crusty, I really hope this works out for you!
I wouldn't worry too much about the buy it now, most of these cars and bikes are bought by salvage yards and turned into parts, the auction is where the insurance companys send their write-offs to try to recoup some $$$.
If this does happen, let me know anyway I can help.
Old 12th January 2019
Asgardian

Sportster/Buell Model: 883r
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: Watkins 27
Other Motorcycle Year: abov
Ireeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
My Brain Hurts

Use mine, it is currently unoccupied.
Old 12th January 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
harley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond repute

Hard to believe that bike got written off with so little damage.
Old 12th January 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883/1200 Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 1995
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 11 RK
Other Motorcycle Model: 72 Triumph Daytona
ChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley506d View Post
Hard to believe that bike got written off with so little damage.
This was my first thought too. Lots of unknown there. My current Sporty was bought from my brother who hit a guardrail with it. Forks were twisted, fender and handlebars bent, but I rode it like that and it wasn't too bad.

It went to a dealer for repair who promptly declared it was totaled and the frame was bent. Insurance company paid out, bought the bike back. I replaced the bent parts and have been riding it for 18 years.

The dealership took nothing apart. I think it was easier to say it was totaled than spend any time looking at it.
Old 12th January 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Crusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond repute

Knock-Off Wheel Spinners

I was reading a thread about wheels for cars, and Zack posted a picture of an old MG with Knock-off wheel spinners and spoke wheels and it brought up an old memory.

It was the summer of 1968; a magical time in my life. I had graduated High School and was enrolled in a local Community College. I had a job pumping gas that my friend, John Annal had set me up with. Life was looking pretty good.

One evening, John and I had taken the bus into Harvard Square. The electric bus terminal was just outside the Square and it was about a three minute walk to the Subway station. We stopped in a little gas station and bought a couple of bottles of Coke from the vending machine and were just sitting there on the curb, when a lady in an MG pulled up.
She had a tire that was going flat and asked us to change the wheel for the spare. It was one of those wire spoked wheels that had Knock-off spinners holding it to the axle. I had never seen one before and I don’t think John had, either.

Anyway, the lady stood there and instructed us on how to change the tire. She knew all the details of the tire change, from how and where to use the unfamiliar jack to using the brass hammer to loosen and tighten the spinner and putting everything back into its place when we were finished.

John and I got the job done, then she asked us how much it was going to cost. She thought we were employees of that gas station. We told her, “No charge”, but she couldn’t comprehend that we had done the job for free. Finally, she went inside to straighten it out with our “Boss”. John and I walked away to the subway and never saw that lady again. We chuckled a bit that she couldn’t accept the fact that we had helped her out for free.

Nowadays, I occasionally see bumper stickers that say Practice Random Acts of Kindness. Back then, it was natural and normal. And it was fun. But it isn’t a lost art. I keep encountering it with Motorcycle People.

I’ve met more good hearted and helpful people who are involved with motorcycles than I can count. The people on BadWeB and the folks on the XL forum (as well as many others) are all very helpful and caring. It’s an honor to be associated with such folk.

I just thought I’d share that.
Old 12th January 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Shot Down

Well; it ain't gonna happen. I need to be a licensed broker to bid on that particular bike. I just got the e-mail. I could contact one of their brokers, but then it would cost me another couple of hundred bucks, or maybe more; depending on Terms and Conditions. It's getting too crazy, so I'm just going to take it as a sign that I should wait. Oh, well.

So, now I'm back to my original Whirling Dervish question; should I paint the Roadster red now, or wait until I get a new Roadster and paint that one red? The Roadster does look good in black, and it would be easier and faster to just paint the new front fender black for now.

On a more positive note; the snow has stopped. It'll probably start back up; but so far, we've gotten a massive 2 inches - I think. Maybe less.

If you had your fingers crossed for me, thank you; but you can uncross them now.

I think I'll have a can of Hormel Chili with NO Beans! for lunch.
Old 12th January 2019
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
gravydog has a reputation beyond reputegravydog has a reputation beyond reputegravydog has a reputation beyond reputegravydog has a reputation beyond reputegravydog has a reputation beyond reputegravydog has a reputation beyond reputegravydog has a reputation beyond reputegravydog has a reputation beyond reputegravydog has a reputation beyond reputegravydog has a reputation beyond reputegravydog has a reputation beyond repute

Well, it sounds like they have made the whole process a pain in the A$$ to keep individuals from buying the bikes that the salvage dealers want. I'm sorry this one isn't going to work, but like you have said, the right bike will come along at the right time.

On to painting your current Roadster, that's totally up to you. But I will add that I have a new hood to paint for my winter beater car, it just happens to be black, so if you were to get a fender to me, it would be no big deal to paint it when I do the hood.

Also, I too am honored to be associated with the good people I have meet through this forum!
Sponsored Links