The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > GENERAL AREA > Off-Topic/General Discussion
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Off-Topic/General Discussion Here is you can submit non-Sportster related topics. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION PLEASE.

Active Threads
0 Flat Tire
Last Post: denguy
Posted On: 6 Minutes Ago
Replies: 32
Views: 1,854
0 Rubbermount shocks on a rigid mount?
Last Post: BKB
Posted On: 6 Minutes Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 193
0 Forum problems???
Last Post: rejeanprimeau
Posted On: 25 Minutes Ago
Replies: 38
Views: 1,097
0 compression problems
Last Post: davixlrtt
Posted On: 37 Minutes Ago
Replies: 37
Views: 901
0 A thank you
Last Post: oupa
Posted On: 41 Minutes Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 157
0 Excited to join the sportster family!
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 44 Minutes Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 106
0 Are the 04s the red headed step child?
Last Post: 60Gunner
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 49
Views: 2,018
0 What would you ask the Sportster Engineers/Designers?
Last Post: Davo_137
Replies: 692
Views: 166,589
0 It's Flame__'s Birthday!
Last Post: Veeflys
Replies: 4
Views: 34
0 I'm gunna need more Bourbon (pics)
Last Post: Will1250
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 132
0 Mainshaft- What happened here
Last Post: shaymus
Replies: 49
Views: 3,833
0 stress killer
Last Post: Folkie
Replies: 302
Views: 49,635
0 Wanted: Sportster mid controls
Last Post: whetrick1
Replies: 6
Views: 74
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Replies: 42,791
Views: 6,683,320
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,210
Views: 102,094
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Replies: 9,913
Views: 866,891
0 XT 1250 Ulysses with XR1200 heads
Last Post: Randy_rots
Replies: 15
Views: 17,124
0 ultima iggy,, static time vs dynamic time
Last Post: iNSaNeSHaNe
Replies: 36
Views: 1,643
0 ....1
Last Post: toe
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 4,788
Views: 266,355
0 Little Bunny Foo Foo
Last Post: slcharger
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 665
0 Motorcycle Events
Last Post: Ireeman
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 2,531
0 my build in my apartment
Last Post: Glamazon
Replies: 4
Views: 176
0 KT - 2019 - Done Riding - Not Hardly
Last Post: Glamazon
Replies: 12
Views: 2,871
0 So heres the plan
Replies: 25
Views: 3,869
0 Finding a new doctor...
Last Post: slcharger
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 21
Views: 456
0 Sportster leaking fuel from small tube underneath bike.
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 136
0 Do you have the service manual?
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 726
Views: 183,405
0 1968 xlch
Last Post: Moon Wolf
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 123
0 2-1 Header Pipes
Last Post: iNSaNeSHaNe
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 255
0 Seized Oil Pump
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 21
Views: 546
More...
Members Birthdays
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4 Weeks Ago
I am the great Cornholio!

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki GT550
Other Motorcycle Year: 1974
ParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond repute
Default They Say Three Time's the Charm ...

I know I have commented on this for the past year but here is the official announcement that I am in the 2019 Iron Butt Rally. I think they really like laughing at "the little sportster" that tries to run with the big dawgs.

In 2015 I finished in mid pack, right where I expected to be. I did not expect to be doing so after I had a wreck on the way out and have to spend a day repairing my bike with duct tape, nits, and bolts

In 2017 I was a Silver Medal finisher coming in 31st out of 87 finishers. I was happy with that but thought I could do more. Especially since I lost a full day rebuilding my charging system at Brad's place in Phoenix. I secretly was hoping to be in the twenties (at least 29th) Had I scored another 1,000 or so points I would have made that

So that leaves this year. Hopefully three times IS the charm. I have become a much better at rallies in the past two years, finishing in the top ten in two rallies and winning one. I've also gained efficiency in riding in a rally where I can now anticipate more closely how much time I need for stops which means I can safely add in more bonus locations. I'm also hungrier (not food wise. Ok, I am but that is not the context I mean here) and want to finish higher to the point I am more accepting of the potential for being late and even not finishing because I am too late.

So, for the record, my goal for the 2019 IBR is to be in THE top 20. My motto, Fortune Favors the Brave (Favours for those of you in Canada and the UK). Can I do it? I honestly don't know. I can say that I will give it my best as long as I feel I am being safe.

At this point I plan on riding my 2006 Blue Sportster that presently has 241,000 miles on it. The engine in it is still the used engine I put in just before the 2017 IBR. At the time it had 17,000 miles on it. It now has 52,000 miles on it and is running strong.

One thing I plan to try to do is to do a daily video blog. It will be tough especially as I am planning on pushing myself, but I hope to do 5 minutes or so. I got the idea from the Long Way Around and Long Way Down videos. Whether I make that public during the IBR is TBD, but possibly not as that would add time to my already long day and I cannot be sure I'd have an internet connection each night.

The exact start location has not been made public, but it is in South Carolina. The two checkpoints are in Washington State.

What do I need?

Mainly, I need your support!!! And by that I simply need the encouragement to continue while I am riding. Those of you that have my cell number a friendly text would be great. I likely won't respond and won't see them until I stop for gas. Same thing for those of you who I am Facebook friends with. I certainly will not respond to FB other than "liking" any comments but they are appreciated. The biggest challenge of a ride like this is the alone time, and there is lots of it.

In addition I could use help at the checkpoint. I am planning on doing a wheel swap at the first checkpoint which will be a Thursday night. Anyone in that area drop me a line

And lastly I hope to sell patches and stickers this year as well to offset my costs. The entry fee alone is $2,275. Plus 3 weeks in hotels, plus gas for 11-12,000 miles, plus a rear tire, plus ... You get the picture

So there it is, it's public. Thanks for the support in prior years and thanks in advance for this year

Check out my Blog for my trip reports:

Click here to listen to my interview on the Motorcycle Men Podcast

Click here for the Sportsterpedia! for technical information & advice
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 883-1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
Hogwylde has a reputation beyond reputeHogwylde has a reputation beyond reputeHogwylde has a reputation beyond reputeHogwylde has a reputation beyond reputeHogwylde has a reputation beyond reputeHogwylde has a reputation beyond reputeHogwylde has a reputation beyond reputeHogwylde has a reputation beyond reputeHogwylde has a reputation beyond reputeHogwylde has a reputation beyond reputeHogwylde has a reputation beyond repute

You got this. Easy peasy.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1460C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: XL1200R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
sportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond repute

We’ll be there for you in whatever capacity you might need. “Checkpoint “ meaning Washington State? I’m pretty good at changing wheels.......just saying. Suppose there would be time to jog out from the “Mile” then a quick scoot back East for the Meet n Greet?
I.B.A.#26543, Growing old-Mandatory/ Growing up-optional. Men do not quit playing because they get old, they get old because they stop playing!

The XL Forum Sportsterpedia:
http://sportsterpedia.com/doku.php/starthttp://xlforum.net/forums/images/editor/quote.gif
Old 4 Weeks Ago
I am the great Cornholio!

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki GT550
Other Motorcycle Year: 1974
ParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsterpaul View Post
We’ll be there for you in whatever capacity you might need. “Checkpoint “ meaning Washington State? I’m pretty good at changing wheels.......just saying. Suppose there would be time to jog out from the “Mile” then a quick scoot back East for the Meet n Greet?
I can ship the wheel and I carry the tools. But I need a (bike) lift
Old 4 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1460C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: XL1200R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
sportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond repute

A good ratchet strap over a rafter might get the front up enough to drop a tire out?
Old 4 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2013
shanneba has a reputation beyond reputeshanneba has a reputation beyond reputeshanneba has a reputation beyond reputeshanneba has a reputation beyond reputeshanneba has a reputation beyond reputeshanneba has a reputation beyond reputeshanneba has a reputation beyond reputeshanneba has a reputation beyond reputeshanneba has a reputation beyond reputeshanneba has a reputation beyond reputeshanneba has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck!

A Sportster in the top 10!!

Find your Owner's Manual, Wiring Diagram and Parts List here :

https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson....cle/lookupForm
Enter your VIN OR
Use the search - enter year and model

If something doesn't work on your Sportster look here:
SportsterPedia.com
Old 4 Weeks Ago
OzChick

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 08
Other Motorcycle Model: Triumph Bobber
Other Motorcycle Year: 2017
sportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond repute

I love your attitude and wish you every success Chris.
Can't help you out with a bike lift in Washington, but I can certainly cheer on from afar... support messages will be forthcoming

Work/Life Balance? Just work more at Living!
Nyx: 08 XLN~ 90" Dyno Results; 90" of Street-based FUN coming downunder; My six year refresh adventure
TBob: 2017 Triumph Bobber; Making a Decision on a New Bike
Muse: 1982 Honda CBX Shed Find
Photography: My take on the world
Old 4 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883/1200 Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 1995
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 11 RK
Other Motorcycle Model: 72 Triumph Daytona
ChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond repute

Can't wait! Love following your travels!
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Subscribing Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 C
Toejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond repute

Good Luck from North Dakota and Sportsters Rule!!
Sponsored Links
Old 4 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: XLCH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1979
Crusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond repute

Good Luck From Cincinnati!