The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Active Threads
0 1960 XLCH in the UK
Last Post: thefrenchowl
Posted On: 23 Minutes Ago
Replies: 84
Views: 4,177
0 Anybody ever try this pushrod tube leak fix?
Last Post: jordan1200
Posted On: 39 Minutes Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 361
0 Harley Davidson Street 750 and Street 500/New Liquid-Cooled Revolution X Engines
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 52 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1,205
Views: 141,421
0 Ignition module screws, need size
Last Post: lucag
Posted On: 59 Minutes Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 174
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: trainman
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 8,093
Views: 623,112
0 Machining for 30 degree chamber
Last Post: t120r
Replies: 9
Views: 252
0 Happy Birthday IronMick!
Last Post: rokytnji
Views: 139
0 Sweetwater BBQ and Campout and Swapmeet with Bands
Replies: 9
Views: 559
0 You asked for it! "The Tess' Coffee Thread"
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 10,295
Views: 696,118
0 Hello from 1970s Wisconsin!
Last Post: ChinCactus
Replies: 12
Views: 168
0 Small nail in tire?? plug or replace
Last Post: Diogenes415
Replies: 129
Views: 18,765
0 If things werent bad enough, now invisable cars too
Last Post: weapoole
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 389
0 New England 2018
Last Post: mikeLI_77
Replies: 193
Views: 10,093
0 Arlen Ness F-Bomb Pipe Test
Last Post: t120r
Replies: 21
Views: 2,711
5 1200 or 883
Last Post: Nibelungen
Replies: 980
Views: 294,169
0 Do you have the service manual?
Last Post: farmall
Replies: 705
Views: 175,869
0 Ironhead Exhaust Poll
Last Post: Just John
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 191
Views: 51,844
0 Moto Guzzi V9 Bobber debut
Last Post: Nibelungen
Replies: 36
Views: 1,385
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 468
Views: 22,476
0 Want to add bags
Last Post: Tucsonmax1
Views: 325
14 Firearms you wish you owned.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 481
Views: 74,873
0 mode of failure
Last Post: jammantoo
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 18
Views: 849
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 41,573
Views: 6,391,310
0 THE Trainspotting Thread
Last Post: jammantoo
Replies: 2,101
Views: 233,312
6 Is Your SPORTSTER...
Replies: 6
Views: 744
0 This is gonna hurt.
Replies: 7,504
Views: 1,381,763
0 Luggage rack for Tallboy seat equipped sporty
Last Post: ironmanx
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 36
0 Supertrapp 2:1 fit issue with Pics
Last Post: Four Speed
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 19
Views: 659
4 Looking for the NUP1009 bearing for clutch wobble
Last Post: Four Speed
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Views: 459
0 Boardtracker Project
Last Post: JonesL
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 561
Views: 100,462
More...
Members Birthdays
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th May 2018
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200s
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XR 1200x
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2011
halfmt1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotton1 View Post
A little different direction here, so apologies..

Question: Why not simple? For me when I visit the dealers I am not interested in buying a new Sportster to replace my 98,99, or 06. Same,same except I feel like the carby bikes are simplified and I can clean, or tune one in my back yard instead of needing to go to the dealer for a laptop to be hooked up.

Thru the 90's and until 04 I made my living with a wrench. I found out back then that I hate computer controlled. Mechanical was for me, because in my mind it is simple.I cant help but believe that if somebody was to produce a bike that a teenage boy could work on or do most repairs on without taking it somewhere the independence would produce loyalty. Especially if all others stayed the course with electronics, and the brand that made the simple bikes encouraged the atmosphere of folks doing their own maintenance.

No, I dont think this would ever happen, but why not? Whats old is new again, check Greta Van Fleet.

Back when I heard of a man that invented a carburetor for the old American cars of the 60's-70's that could achieve 50mpg or more. Story is that big oil bought that out and kept it under wraps. Don't know for sure if that one was true, but it would be easy for me to believe.

I guess if engineers of today wanted to impress me they would make a engine that didn't need electronics to meet emission requirements.

I know, I know, the future of these bikes will involve more electronics and more specialized training and equipment to maintain. Just seems to be tainted that the "keep it going yourself" mentality is almost wiped out and is headed for extinction. To me it does anyways, the motorcycle is a source of freedom and independence.

As for the tech side- Why in the hell dont they have a app for diagnostics? Maybe they do and I dont know about it, but with all this technology today I wonder, but maybe the one of the future? why cant the computer that I make phone calls with sync up to the computer that controls my vehicles functions and let me make adjustments or diagnostic test? A different independence

Alright, I will submit this with expectations of being called crazy!

Cotton1
Not for Harleys but for most other vehicles,
Check it out:

https://www.bluedriver.com/
Old 27th May 2018
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL
Sportster/Buell Year: 1992
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1978 XLCH project
Other Motorcycle Model: Sportster XLH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1975
45Brit has a reputation beyond repute45Brit has a reputation beyond repute45Brit has a reputation beyond repute45Brit has a reputation beyond repute45Brit has a reputation beyond repute45Brit has a reputation beyond repute45Brit has a reputation beyond repute45Brit has a reputation beyond repute45Brit has a reputation beyond repute45Brit has a reputation beyond repute45Brit has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammantoo View Post
this reminds me of my first vehicle with multiple maps, It was my 2003 Mercedes, it had summer and winter mode. At the time it was a novelty, now I fully understand it.
We may not like what is happening, but they are offering us stuff we dream of, then we complain we are losing control.
I can say I have avoided accidents because of ABS in my work truck, but still I hate having it on a bike. If you think about that I look like a fool.
That computer can react faster than we can, but still I hate it.
Why? Do you only ride bikes with single speed belt drives, no suspension and automatic inlet valves?
Old 27th May 2018
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: ironhead xlx
Sportster/Buell Year: 1983
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200 custom
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2005
spitfirechopper has much to be proud ofspitfirechopper has much to be proud ofspitfirechopper has much to be proud ofspitfirechopper has much to be proud ofspitfirechopper has much to be proud ofspitfirechopper has much to be proud ofspitfirechopper has much to be proud ofspitfirechopper has much to be proud ofspitfirechopper has much to be proud ofspitfirechopper has much to be proud ofspitfirechopper has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post
Nib, I agree with all that. I thought you were suggesting they figure out a way not to go wet head or water.
Where are you getting this statistic?

I mean looking at prices alone I could guess I might be true, but I'd like to see actual numbers.

Then again they didn't "ditch" the Dyna so much as come up with a better replacement which was still air-cooled.

I have no reason to believe younger riders wouldn't embrace the new models.
Not really a statistic more of an opinion based on what i see, all my mates ride dynas or sportsters, only guys i know on the wide glides and such are 50+
If you are on any social media anyone between 20-35 ish are on dynas and sporties. Im not in the US though so might be different over here but go to any hog rally round these parts and its all sportsters, dynas and vrods
And cost is the factor for young riders not picking up a new m8
Old 27th May 2018
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200Lr
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: FLHP
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2016
Other Motorcycle Model: 13 Guzzi V7 / 11 Duc 696
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
Bone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfirechopper View Post
Not really a statistic more of an opinion based on what i see, all my mates ride dynas or sportsters, only guys i know on the wide glides and such are 50+
If you are on any social media anyone between 20-35 ish are on dynas and sporties. Im not in the US though so might be different over here but go to any hog rally round these parts and its all sportsters, dynas and vrods
And cost is the factor for young riders not picking up a new m8
Well not-US = < 30% of their business (though I recognize they are looking to that as a growth area).

Price won't prevent that same group from riding the new Softails as the prices are similar to what they were.

And I suspect that part of the price issue is some of that group buy used, therefore you'll see them on the new Softails in the appropriate amount of time.

I just can't emphasize enough what am excellent job they did on these bikes. They completely convinced me (someone who previously HATED Softails) to consider one in the future.
Old 27th May 2018
foot in mouth member

Sportster/Buell Model: 48
Sportster/Buell Year: 2016
Other Motorcycle Model: Dou-glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 63
jammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45Brit View Post
Why? Do you only ride bikes with single speed belt drives, no suspension and automatic inlet valves?
No what I am saying is that all this stuff is actually technology moving on, but for some reason we fight it say we are losing control.
You see, we can use what we want, but do not put down something if it offers you another option
such as
multiple maps for the ECU. there are many bikes having that now, but I see guys complaining about it? Hey if you do not want it, do not use it,but do not complain it is offered
Old 27th May 2018
foot in mouth member

jammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond repute

I will say this about the future of the Sporty...................

I was looking at 4 bikes, A Motoguzzi Griso, Sportster 48, KTM Duke, and the BMW R9

I chose the 48 for several reasons, not because it was the most techy bike, it is not that. not because it was the fastest, that it definately is not, and not because it was the most modern design.

I chose it because my heart was pulled by it, I had a connection to it, my soul is captured and identifies with it.

Would I buy another HD over those other bikes if the Sportster was not in the lineup? Who knows, but HD has to answer that going into the future to survive.
DO I want to see the Street style engine in the sportster? not if it loses the single pin, I can deal with Water cooling. Infact I would embrace water cooling.
Will HD step me up to a big twin, NOPE not interested. I do not want a Minivanglide.

You see HD does not sell the fastest, the best handling, the most tech savey, their connection at the point of sale is about the open road and freedom. About guys loving HD and bikes that stir imagination.

The future of the Sportster, may just be dependent on sales figures. I mean HD needs to move new models to survive. As I see it the Sportster is a light weight fun HD and my choice of style of bike to ride everyday, and that is my style. Everyone seems to think that Sportsters are beginners bikes, Forums like this prove they are enthusiasts bikes. Somehow that slips past. The future of the sportster is in the recognition of that fact.
Old 28th May 2018
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200CX Roadster
felis has a reputation beyond reputefelis has a reputation beyond reputefelis has a reputation beyond reputefelis has a reputation beyond reputefelis has a reputation beyond reputefelis has a reputation beyond reputefelis has a reputation beyond reputefelis has a reputation beyond reputefelis has a reputation beyond reputefelis has a reputation beyond reputefelis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
No what I am saying is that all this stuff is actually technology moving on, but for some reason we fight it say we are losing control.
You see, we can use what we want, but do not put down something if it offers you another option
such as
multiple maps for the ECU. there are many bikes having that now, but I see guys complaining about it? Hey if you do not want it, do not use it,but do not complain it is offered
I don't think the complaint is that new technology is 'offered', but that it is
'required' with no alternative options.

For instance, if you would prefer to buy a new Sportster with a carb instead
of an EFI system with a fuel pump in the tank.

Yes, someone can always buy used,
and the government is responsible for most of the regulations rather than the manufacturer.
But some people are dinosaurs who resist change.
Old 28th May 2018
foot in mouth member

I hope this discussion does not get deep into why these regulations are here, personally I do not want to drag it down a very political road discussing the facts or falsies about global climate change and if there really is a need. We are all friends here and should not allow that to happen.
Yes Government sets regulation not the manufacturers, and the way, timing and severity of that regulation sometimes is not embraced by the populace.
However the advancements to engine efficiency has advanced, and the one big issue I think we are fearing is the loss of the air cooled engine in the sporty. That is inevitable due to smog regulations. I personally, as mentioned earlier in this thread, bought a new sportster because I think it will happen in 2020. If it goes past that then I bought too soon.
Old 28th May 2018
Master Mechanic

Other Motorcycle Model: 1997 yamaha seca II
webman94 is on a distinguished roadwebman94 is on a distinguished roadwebman94 is on a distinguished roadwebman94 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I hope this discussion does not get deep into why these regulations are here, personally I do not want to drag it down a very political road discussing the facts or falsies about global climate change and if there really is a need. We are all friends here and should not allow that to happen.
Yes Government sets regulation not the manufacturers, and the way, timing and severity of that regulation sometimes is not embraced by the populace.
However the advancements to engine efficiency has advanced, and the one big issue I think we are fearing is the loss of the air cooled engine in the sporty. That is inevitable due to smog regulations. I personally, as mentioned earlier in this thread, bought a new sportster because I think it will happen in 2020. If it goes past that then I bought too soon.
This has been a fascinating discussion, lots of interesting points. I actually don't think the air cooled sportster is going away, but I fully expect some significant changes. Moto Guzzi introduced its V9 series a couple of years ago, and it was specifically designed to meet the most stringent EU rules. It does so with.... wait for it... an air cooled, two valve v-twin. I'm sure HD has taken a good look at how Guzzi did this, and has plans for a revised sportster engine that will meet these same standards. I'd like to see an oil cooled, counterbalanced solid mount with at least as much power as now, but weighing in at under 500lbs. That would be a major win, and I fully believe they're capable of pulling it off.

EDIT: Royal Enfield is also introducing a new air cooled 650 twin next year in Europe and the US, so they must have also figured out how to meet these regulations. If RE can do it... (actually, I really like their stuff, for some reason )

Last edited by webman94; 28th May 2018 at 06:33.. Reason: More information
Sponsored Links
Old 28th May 2018
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: ironhead xlx
Sportster/Buell Year: 1983
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200 custom
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2005
spitfirechopper has much to be proud ofspitfirechopper has much to be proud ofspitfirechopper has much to be proud ofspitfirechopper has much to be proud ofspitfirechopper has much to be proud ofspitfirechopper has much to be proud ofspitfirechopper has much to be proud ofspitfirechopper has much to be proud ofspitfirechopper has much to be proud ofspitfirechopper has much to be proud ofspitfirechopper has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by webman94 View Post
This has been a fascinating discussion, lots of interesting points. I actually don't think the air cooled sportster is going away, but I fully expect some significant changes. Moto Guzzi introduced its V9 series a couple of years ago, and it was specifically designed to meet the most stringent EU rules. It does so with.... wait for it... an air cooled, two valve v-twin. I'm sure HD has taken a good look at how Guzzi did this, and has plans for a revised sportster engine that will meet these same standards. I'd like to see an oil cooled, counterbalanced solid mount with at least as much power as now, but weighing in at under 500lbs. That would be a major win, and I fully believe they're capable of pulling it off.

EDIT: Royal Enfield is also introducing a new air cooled 650 twin next year in Europe and the US, so they must have also figured out how to meet these regulations. If RE can do it... (actually, I really like their stuff, for some reason )
The royal enfields had my attention from the get go but when the 650 twin was announced i actually started putting money aside. Unfortunately after talking to people who own them, it's not a bike you will ever want to get wet, build quality is quite cheap and they rust quicker than you can say "where did i put that WD40", i'll still probably get one though.