The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUMģ

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUMģ > GENERAL AREA > Off-Topic/General Discussion
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Off-Topic/General Discussion Here is you can submit non-Sportster related topics. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION PLEASE.

Active Threads
0 Q cams in 73 xlh ??
Last Post: 73HEAD
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 78
Views: 5,431
0 Electrical Harness Replacemet vs. Self Rewire
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Replies: 31
Views: 8,192
0 Allegheny National Park III
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 49
Views: 1,253
0 04 Sportster refurb and build.
Replies: 39
Views: 2,648
0 never mind
Replies: 303
Views: 57,803
0 Keep & Kill
Replies: 25,641
Views: 1,501,010
0 Snippets
Replies: 528
Views: 74,496
0 Hello From Brighton, England
Last Post: Steve9
Replies: 6
Views: 62
0 Canadian Purchases
Last Post: XL Ed
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 22
Views: 3,978
0 71 XLH Value?
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 58
Views: 1,909
0 Looking for community help/steering/front end issues
Last Post: rejeanprimeau
Replies: 5
Views: 138
0 best set up for ease of kick starting
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Replies: 4
Views: 303
0 sportster revival
Last Post: brucstoudt
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 215
0 2007 Sportster 883 wonít start; no turn signals
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 189
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 52,572
Views: 8,872,808
0 Acceptable Voltage Drop-Starter Circuit
Last Post: The Doctor71
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 64
Views: 2,401
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 33,147
Views: 3,914,372
0 Front fender legalities in the UK
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 7,078
0 Trouble removing old license plate
Last Post: armstrong001
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 506
0 This is gonna hurt.
Replies: 9,092
Views: 2,132,860
0 Oil coming out of top of cam cover
Last Post: Kingrabbit
Views: 199
0 60ís XLCH front tyre
Last Post: 11B40
Replies: 6
Views: 439
0 unable to send or respond to private message
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 15 Hours Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 969
5 Thunderstorm pistons in xl??
Last Post: Dr.Gonzo
Posted On: 15 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 59
0 So who's UK based?
Last Post: LEZ90
Posted On: 17 Hours Ago
Replies: 71
Views: 29,171
0 video & pics
Last Post: cal43
Posted On: 18 Hours Ago
Replies: 593
Views: 63,503
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Last Post: cal43
Posted On: 19 Hours Ago
Replies: 4,823
Views: 962,528
0 1960 XLH Stroker Ė a 13 year journey
Posted On: 1 Day Ago
Replies: 23
Views: 1,469
0 72 ih stroker advise needed
Replies: 23
Views: 2,242
0 ĎTí cams, anyone familiar?
Last Post: needspeed
Views: 215
More...
Members Birthdays

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6 Days Ago
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1460C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: XL1200R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
sportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond repute

Just one adventure to another, and you being resilient, just keep going from one to the next. When you get back Brian, myself and possibly Greg will hop down and install your custom workbench/table in the basement. All you have to do is approve the concept and point where it goes! Ho, ho ho!
I.B.A.#26543,

Dads words of wisdom:Ēbehave and if you canít behave donít get caught!Ē

The XL Forum Sportsterpedia:
http://sportsterpedia.com/doku.php/start
Old 5 Days Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1984
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL 1200
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW R80ST
Other Motorcycle Year: 1984
DEEP DIVER has a reputation beyond reputeDEEP DIVER has a reputation beyond reputeDEEP DIVER has a reputation beyond reputeDEEP DIVER has a reputation beyond reputeDEEP DIVER has a reputation beyond reputeDEEP DIVER has a reputation beyond reputeDEEP DIVER has a reputation beyond reputeDEEP DIVER has a reputation beyond reputeDEEP DIVER has a reputation beyond reputeDEEP DIVER has a reputation beyond reputeDEEP DIVER has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsterpaul View Post
Just one adventure to another, and you being resilient, just keep going from one to the next. When you get back Brian, myself and possibly Greg will hop down and install your custom workbench/table in the basement. All you have to do is approve the concept and point where it goes! Ho, ho ho!
And supply the beers

Blue belt in Serious tea drinking. :)
Old 5 Days Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 CX
Sportster/Buell Year: 2016
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1978
Other Motorcycle Model: XL 1200 R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2005
Crusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEP DIVER View Post
And supply the beers
This could get pretty expensive!
Old 3 Days Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Crusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond repute

What a Day!

My alarm went off yesterday at 3:00 AM. I got up and was ready when my brother arrived at 3:30 to take me to the airport. My flight was departing at 6:00 AM and I had to check my bag and go through the Gestapo clearance before I could get to the departure gate.

I found out at the airport that my flight wasnít the direct flight that United claimed. It flew first to Dulles in Washington, then to Boston. Once I arrived at Logan Airport, I took the T (Airport Shuttle and Subway trains) to Malden Center and Guido picked me up. There was a bit of confusion about where he was supposed to pick me up. And when he finally found me, we ďdiscussedĒ it. He explained that he didnít know the streets around the T station and heíd never picked up anyone there. I gave him grief and he told me to go xxxxxx myself. I was back!

We went back to the shop and I checked out my new bike. It was on a lift and Guy was giving it a final servicing before I took possession. I went back to the lunch area with Guido and we had coffee and shot the sh*t. Jimmy came in the back door a while later, and as soon as he saw me, he flipped me the bird. I was at home.

I hung out and installed the wiring for my electric jacket liner while Guy finished up prepping the bike. It had been set up for storage and he was going over everything so that I should have no problems for a while with it.

They got Pizza and Calamari for lunch. Iím allergic to seafood, so I was forced to eat only some magnificent pizza. It was heavenly.

After I ate, I put on my winter riding gear and rode to Hudson and got used to the new bike. Itís about 35 miles from the shop to Ernie & Candyís house and I rode city streets, a bit of divided highway and some back roads. That was varied enough to give me a good feel for the bike.

Itís a 2006 XL1200C. It has forward controls, which I donít really care for, bars that I plan to change soon, the stock seat which will be changed as soon as I get home, loud mufflers and an air cleaner that Iíll also change, a 21Ē front spoke wheel that I think will get changed for a 19Ē cast piece and it has lots of chrome.

Itís in excellent shape and looks almost new. Itís been well cared for and doesnít quite have 15,000 miles on the odometer (14,904 at the shop).
In some ways, it reminds me of my í78 Superglide. Itís painted in a shade of blue thatís OK, but only OK. It has way too much chrome for my tastes. The plus side of that is that chrome is easy to care for. The negative is that I donít like Shiny.

The biggest plus is that itís running well. A running Custom with too much chrome is a better ride than a beautiful Gentlemanís Express with a bad crank.

Anyhow; I arrived at Ernieís and after showing off my new ride, had a very small dinner with him and Candy and my cousin Billy. I couldnít eat much because I was still stuffed with pizza. After we ate, I was talking with Ernie and was nodding as we spoke, so I went to my room and was asleep very early.

Today, Kathrynís coming by to check out the Custom; then she, Ernie and myself are going down to Providence, RI to the Caserta Pizzaria to get some different, but equally magnificent Pizza.

The Adventure Continues!
Old 2 Days Ago
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

sportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond repute

John, “the Pizza man”! Happy for you and glad you got back into smil with you buddies! We’ll see you in a few days, keep it safe!
Old 1 Day Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

I Visited Poughkeepsie

I didnít, really; I just passed through it. But I thought it would make a good title for a Snippet.

Anyhow; Iím in a Super 8 in Clearfield, PA. It was a tough ride, today. It rained, drizzled, misted and fogged; it even was sunny for a few minutes. The temperature varied considerably from warm to bone chilling cold. Even so, I was giving serious thought to putting in maybe another 100 miles until the wind kicked up. That was the capper. It was blowing me all over my lane and with the heavy truck traffic, I decided to put up for the night. I really donít want to get run over by an 18 wheeler.

Once I stopped, I discovered that I was a lot more tired than I thought. I also discovered that I lost the little plastic sleeves that hold my driverís license, registration, Insurance card, Medicare and supplement cards and the photos of my daughter. That really bums me out. It must have fallen out of my wallet when I was getting gas.

Tomorrowís supposed to be below freezing all day, so itís going to be another tough stretch. Iíve got about 400 miles to go until Iím home. I think Iíll be stopping more often than I did today.

I really donít like the ergonomics of the Custom. After about 150 miles, the forward pegs had my bad ankle screaming. I had my foot on the passenger peg a good bit of the time, but I will be very happy when I put mid controls on the bike. Iím also not real happy with the handlebars. Fortunately, I have a set of bars and risers at the house that will make things much more comfortable. I thought the seat was going to be worse than it is, but it isnít as bad as I expected. It still isnít nearly as comfortable as a Sundowner or a Mustang Vintage Wide, but itís not nearly as painful as the stock seat on the 16 Roadster was when I rode it home from Wichita.

Iím getting about 45 MPG. That means that I should be able to go 200 miles between fill ups. I wonít, though. I stopped and got gas at 100 miles a couple of times and when I was sure the bike was able, I went 150 miles and didnít hit Reserve. I think thatís a good distance between gas stops. Iíll probably be stopping sooner to warm up though, tomorrow.

As soon as I was in the room here, I took a hot shower. Nothing gets the chill out of my bones faster. Thereís a golden Starches next door, so thatís where I got dinner. Iíll be in bed soon; Iím very tired.

Iím not happy with Gas prices. I paid $4.23/Gal at one stop. Yes, I know; Meliaís paying $2.00/Liter in Australia. Iím too tired to go on a rant, but Iím still not happy.

Thatís about it for tonight. I need rest.
Old 4 Hours Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Quickly

I’m back home in Cheviot. Today’s ride was an ass kicker; I’m completely drained.

I’ll write more tomorrow, if I have time.
Old 2 Hours Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200L
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2009
BKB has a reputation beyond reputeBKB has a reputation beyond reputeBKB has a reputation beyond reputeBKB has a reputation beyond reputeBKB has a reputation beyond reputeBKB has a reputation beyond reputeBKB has a reputation beyond reputeBKB has a reputation beyond reputeBKB has a reputation beyond reputeBKB has a reputation beyond reputeBKB has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you made it home safe.
Old 1 Hour Ago
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Happy that ordeal has ended safely.