The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 Bendix Throttle Cable Mounting 74xlch
Last Post: curiousgeorge
Posted On: 1 Minute Ago
Replies: 44
Views: 12,629
0 Good Day eh
Last Post: shanneba
Posted On: 15 Minutes Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 109
0 Harley being delivered next week
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 244
0 hey y'all
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 187
0 new (to me) '82 25th Anniversary Edition XLH 1000
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 119
0 Wanted to say Hi
Last Post: juzyHD
Replies: 13
Views: 151
0 starting characteristics
Replies: 4
Views: 154
0 Lost compression?
Last Post: eddie XLX
Replies: 6
Views: 125
0 WTF Happened
Last Post: kaveebee
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 893
Views: 146,549
0 74 XLCH - a revival
Last Post: CincinnatiKid
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 159
Views: 19,140
0 C.O.B.B run west
Last Post: skien
Replies: 112
Views: 7,311
0 Honda Nostalgia
Last Post: 83XLX
Replies: 15
Views: 528
0 11:1 883-1200 build
Last Post: MatHormell
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 146
0 Manifold to put EVO BT carb on ironhead
Last Post: 75PoPo
Replies: 8
Views: 163
0 79 Engine Rebuild
Last Post: IronMick
Replies: 48
Views: 2,261
3 Restored, original or near-stock Ironhead pictures
Last Post: Russ t nail
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 763
Views: 373,399
0 Cafe' Image thread WTFN
Last Post: tigger
Replies: 5,044
Views: 2,182,642
3 Ironhead Pictures Thread
Replies: 1,964
Views: 758,900
0 Average age of the Ironhead forum users
Last Post: Black Bobo
Replies: 405
Views: 66,985
0 :( New deep rebuild on my 90 inch
Last Post: Screw Loose Dan
Replies: 74
Views: 6,323
0 Wauseon 2018. Who's going? Picture thread
Last Post: oldboy
Replies: 2
Views: 70
3 How To Post Photos
Replies: 95
Views: 96,217
0 Rear brake help please!!!!
Last Post: IronMick
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 25
Views: 709
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: trainman
Replies: 7,037
Views: 501,959
0 Edmonton and area....How many XLFORUM members?
Last Post: dilligaff1956
Replies: 10
Views: 2,273
0 Problems with recently rebuilt transmission
Last Post: doodah man
Replies: 188
Views: 12,142
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: maltesefalcon
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 40,876
Views: 6,267,570
0 Turn signal failure
Last Post: Toejam503
Replies: 63
Views: 1,812
0 Starter cracked
Last Post: Bwf347
Replies: 3
Views: 101
0 Issue that has me stumped
Last Post: Toejam503
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 40
Views: 1,767
More...
Members Birthdays
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st April 2018
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Ironhead
Sportster/Buell Year: 4975
Sportster/Buell Model #2: ‘75 motor ‘49 frame
Twistedrench is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiltedIron View Post
Here are pictures. Talking to my local shop today, he said he had an over-sized trany drain plug to replace the stripped one. Sounds like a plan...

What is the bolt behind the primary drain plug the red line runs acros in the picture?
Old 21st April 2018
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
doodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond repute

it looks like just another drain plug to me, in the right case half.
Old 1 Week Ago
Biker

Sportster/Buell Year: 1969
Other Motorcycle Model: Triumph Sprint 900
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
Captain Johnny has a spectacular aura aboutCaptain Johnny has a spectacular aura aboutCaptain Johnny has a spectacular aura aboutCaptain Johnny has a spectacular aura aboutCaptain Johnny has a spectacular aura aboutCaptain Johnny has a spectacular aura aboutCaptain Johnny has a spectacular aura aboutCaptain Johnny has a spectacular aura aboutCaptain Johnny has a spectacular aura aboutCaptain Johnny has a spectacular aura aboutCaptain Johnny has a spectacular aura about
Default 69 xlch

Is the tranny drain plug between the frame rails towards the rear, right under the tranny? I removed this bolt/plug and a few ozs came out.

I pulled the stamped primary cover and a full quart came out.

After I replace the tranny drain plug and the primary cover should I just ad 24 ozs of 50wt through the fill hole in the primary cover and call it done?

I'm new to Ironheads and recently picked up a 69 XLCH that has been sitting for many years. I read this whole thread and not a lot of info on the stamped primary models. But a great thread and a great site just the same.
Old 1 Week Ago
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
needspeed has much to be proud ofneedspeed has much to be proud ofneedspeed has much to be proud ofneedspeed has much to be proud ofneedspeed has much to be proud ofneedspeed has much to be proud ofneedspeed has much to be proud ofneedspeed has much to be proud ofneedspeed has much to be proud ofneedspeed has much to be proud ofneedspeed has much to be proud of

If you had the bike leaning on the side stand when you pulled the drain plug that would explain why only a small amount of oil came out when there was alot in the primary. It also shows why it's really unnecessary to take the plug out. They strip easily, it's better to leave it alone. Just lean the bike over and most oil will drain.

I've heard that 24 oz is the correct amount but if you do it by the manual and fill it to the level hole with the bike standing straight you'll be sure not to over fill it. Important if you're running the clutch dry on your '69.
Sponsored Links
Old 1 Week Ago
Biker

Sportster/Buell Year: 1969
Other Motorcycle Model: Triumph Sprint 900
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
Captain Johnny has a spectacular aura aboutCaptain Johnny has a spectacular aura aboutCaptain Johnny has a spectacular aura aboutCaptain Johnny has a spectacular aura aboutCaptain Johnny has a spectacular aura aboutCaptain Johnny has a spectacular aura aboutCaptain Johnny has a spectacular aura aboutCaptain Johnny has a spectacular aura aboutCaptain Johnny has a spectacular aura aboutCaptain Johnny has a spectacular aura aboutCaptain Johnny has a spectacular aura about

The bike is level sitting on blocks. I see from digging more on this excellent forum that the tranny will also drain when the primary is drained, removing that plug is not required...do I have that right?

I don't see a level hole in the stamped (some call it a "tin" ) primary cover. But there is what I think is a drain screw on the lowest part of the primary cover surface. It's smaller than the screws that hold the cover on.

The 69 has a dry clutch, right?

So, button everything up and throw in 24 ozs of 50 weight....do I have that right?

Bear with me fellas, I'm new at the Ironhead game. I'll have a hundred more questions.
Old 1 Week Ago

Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
doodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Johnny View Post
The bike is level sitting on blocks. I see from digging more on this excellent forum that the tranny will also drain when the primary is drained, removing that plug is not required...do I have that right?
i always pull my plug first, then when it slows down i sit on the bike and hold it up right for a few minutes to get as much out as possible. makes opening the primary a little less messy. just a little.

I don't see a level hole in the stamped (some call it a "tin" ) primary cover. But there is what I think is a drain screw on the lowest part of the primary cover surface. It's smaller than the screws that hold the cover on.
do you not have a screw just forward of the clutch hump on the cover?

originally, yes. very possibly oil soaked now from leaking through the clutch basket rivets, etc...

So, button everything up and throw in 24 ozs of 50 weight....do I have that right?
if you've got the primary cover off still, it's a good idea to check chain tension and the condition of the chain skid shoe. replace as necessary.
Old 1 Week Ago
I have been revived

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1961
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Xl 883n
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2010
Other Motorcycle Model: XL CE Tribute
Other Motorcycle Year: 1977
brianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes Captain, you assume correct. The circled is the primary drain, the other is the trans drain and you will find another on the right side for the motor. You really don't need to use them at all. If you are careful , you can use them but as stated, they do strip and cross thead easily.

If your bike is on the side stand, once the primary cover is removed, most all oil will come out. The rest(1 oz or 2) doesn't matter. I use a little more than the 24 ozs. the FSM recommends. 28 has been my number. I have found no ill affect using a full quart, either.
Old 6 Days Ago

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1960
brucstoudt has a brilliant futurebrucstoudt has a brilliant futurebrucstoudt has a brilliant futurebrucstoudt has a brilliant futurebrucstoudt has a brilliant futurebrucstoudt has a brilliant futurebrucstoudt has a brilliant futurebrucstoudt has a brilliant futurebrucstoudt has a brilliant futurebrucstoudt has a brilliant futurebrucstoudt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Johnny View Post

the level hole is a 1/4'' bolt with a 7/16'' head.that small screw is not a drain screw.it also holds the primary cover on.dry clutch from the factory in'69.
72 1000cc barrels and heads, s&s 41/2'' flywheels, sifton cams, s&s super B w/ zippers thunderjet w/yost powertube, andrews gears,and shafts, competition engineering kevlar wet or dry clutch, 72 oil pump, morris magneto w/auto advance and single fire module, cycle electric generator w/electronic regulator,73 cu.in.