The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Intake and Exhaust > Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust Problems, advice and/or how tos for Sporster and Buell motorcycle carburators, Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI), Air Intake, Fuel and Exhaust.

Active Threads
10 1983 XR 1000 Starting Issues.
Last Post: 1983Sporty
Posted On: 2 Minutes Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 115
4 Help with intermittent pinging noise at idle after warm-up
Last Post: shanneba
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 55
Views: 2,948
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 25,471
Views: 1,489,305
0 Acceptable Voltage Drop-Starter Circuit
Last Post: The Doctor71
Replies: 53
Views: 1,871
0 1983 Roadster
Last Post: RicThompson
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 65
Views: 4,303
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 32,966
Views: 3,873,954
0 Lets see your off season builds
Last Post: cycowrencher
Replies: 1,739
Views: 281,740
0 1983 motor in 1976 frame
Last Post: Racepres
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 77
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: cal43
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 52,446
Views: 8,848,669
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 12,599
Views: 2,975,478
0 video & pics
Replies: 566
Views: 58,207
0 This is gonna hurt.
Replies: 9,072
Views: 2,120,386
0 Deer hunting at stairman's.
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 53
Views: 3,903
0 The Strociek Project
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 52
Views: 3,706
0 90" of Street-based FUN coming downunder
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 343
Views: 69,145
0 What's your opinion on windshields?
Last Post: mikethebike61
Posted On: 14 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,281
Views: 255,619
0 Ironhead engine problem?
Posted On: 15 Hours Ago
Replies: 30
Views: 1,242
0 74 XLH1000 Project
Last Post: Spent Brass
Replies: 9
Views: 837
0 XL Bomber - Portuguese project
Last Post: JimVonBaden
Replies: 171
Views: 62,969
0 04 Sportster refurb and build.
Last Post: JimVonBaden
Posted On: 17 Hours Ago
Replies: 25
Views: 1,547
0 900 clutch in a 1000 engine Strociek
Last Post: needspeed
Posted On: 19 Hours Ago
Replies: 16
Views: 756
0 72 ih stroker advise needed
Posted On: 20 Hours Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 409
0 NOS cases
Posted On: 20 Hours Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 588
10 Hammerized 1275 and the bike rips hard!
Last Post: splineman
Posted On: 21 Hours Ago
Replies: 28
Views: 4,449
0 Hello
Last Post: jharback
Posted On: 22 Hours Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 241
0 Dellorto PHM38 Parts Sources - Intake Rubber, Throttle Cable
Last Post: nakina
Posted On: 23 Hours Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 200
0 a definitive sportster chain conversion pros and cons list
Last Post: Bigshankhank
Replies: 17
Views: 451
10 tunes to cruise too
Last Post: RockerRider
Replies: 16
Views: 2,383
0 Starting?
Last Post: Yellowstone Kelly
Posted On: 1 Day Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 132
0 Setting Timing, 1964 & Earlier Mag
Last Post: Magneto Sportster
Posted On: 1 Day Ago
Replies: 36
Views: 16,464
More...
Members Birthdays

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th January 2021
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xl883r
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
t120r is a jewel in the rought120r is a jewel in the rought120r is a jewel in the rought120r is a jewel in the rought120r is a jewel in the rought120r is a jewel in the rought120r is a jewel in the rought120r is a jewel in the rought120r is a jewel in the rought120r is a jewel in the rought120r is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Mike View Post
I’ve nicknamed my project “the 5lb bag”, after cramming all that crap on there. All while trying to hide most of it.
I'm sure I'll be there myself.
Old 4th April 2021
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

t120r is a jewel in the rought120r is a jewel in the rought120r is a jewel in the rought120r is a jewel in the rought120r is a jewel in the rought120r is a jewel in the rought120r is a jewel in the rought120r is a jewel in the rought120r is a jewel in the rought120r is a jewel in the rought120r is a jewel in the rough

So I'm still trying to debate where to put my MicroSquirt. It will physically fit under the seat, with some wiring re-rerouting. I'm not overly fussy about how close it is to the hot oil tank though. Think the temp of the oil tank will hurt the MicroSquirt ???
I know I could save myself the headache by just using a lithium battery, but my stock one is still fine.
Old 30th April 2021
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Curbside is a splendid one to beholdCurbside is a splendid one to beholdCurbside is a splendid one to beholdCurbside is a splendid one to beholdCurbside is a splendid one to beholdCurbside is a splendid one to beholdCurbside is a splendid one to beholdCurbside is a splendid one to beholdCurbside is a splendid one to beholdCurbside is a splendid one to beholdCurbside is a splendid one to behold

I'm just now getting back to working on mine after having to hit the pause button on just about everything since the first of February...work kicked into overdrive when folks started getting those stimmie checks, we had the "big freeze" down here on the TX coast that wrecked our pipes, and then my dad had knee surgery a few days later that had me tied up for the next month and a half!

I ended up buying a rolled-edge tank with right-side petcock (since the left-side tanks can't be found any longer?), along with a Lowbrow weld-in mounting plate, and used a jigsaw with a metal-cutting blade to cut the hole. Using a Pingel 22mm to 3/8 petcock adapter nut with a 3/8 plug to cap the hole. My welds don't look anywhere near as nice as Iron Mike's, but they'll hold and don't leak!

In my initial quest for weight shaving, I'd ripped out the original harness and associated fuses/relays, replacing them with an Ultima universal harness. In doing so, I no longer needed the steel left-side cover behind the battery that held the fuse panel and whatnot in place, so I'd taken measurements and made an ABS cover plate on my 3D printer that went in its' place. I've since remodeled the plate and made a recess in it with some mounting holes that I'll be using to put the Microsquirt module in there, allowing the harness to route straight to that recess under the seat before going to the various parts of the bike.

Not sure if I made a mistake in my pump mounting location, or it's just the difference between the EFI and old carb bikes, but I had to throw out my original top motor mount and buy a piece from Lowbrow. The holes are big enough to give me enough play that I can use spacer washers, so the motor mount now clears the injector block. I may end up going with a small tank lift as well, but mainly out of necessity to allow for more room for wiring.

I'd like to avoid having to shell out another $80 for the idle air stepper motor controller, and saw a guy build one out of an arduino nano with a stepper shield, so I might go that route.

Found my old 12v bench-testing power supply and actually hooked up the Microsquirt to the PC the other day so I could play around in the software, that was kinda fun. The standalone ignition and the MS box both have legit nitrous controls, so I'm seriously thinking about throwing a Sneeky Pete setup on it just to say I did it.

I'm hoping to get this thing rolling soon, as I lost the key and fob to my other bike and the replacement module I need is on national backorder from the MoCo until end of next month...
Old 1st May 2021
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200X Turbo 48
Sportster/Buell Year: 2011
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200 Roadster
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2008
Turbo Sporty 48 has disabled reputation

Wow, adventures abound!
Keep at it, you will get it. You are an inspiration.
I'm gonna ride as soon as the road finishes thawing and stiffens up.
Old 26th May 2021
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curbside View Post
I'd like to avoid having to shell out another $80 for the idle air stepper motor controller, and saw a guy build one out of an arduino nano with a stepper shield, so I might go that route.
You can get external PWM Idle Air valves on a few cars. The aftermarket units are pricey, but worth it if you want to save some I/O on the Microsquirt. I just closed my eyes and bought the stepper controller.
Old 26th May 2021
Dazed & Confused

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2017
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW R9T
Other Motorcycle Year: 2015
Tomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by t120r View Post
I know I could save myself the headache by just using a lithium battery, but my stock one is still fine.
Just do it. I put a LiFe battery in mine and I regret I didn't do it sooner. It replaced an 18 month old lead acid that was supposedly better, having more CCA's the the original. There's no comparison how the LiFe battery spins the engine on the starter vs the (still good) lead acid battery it replaced.
Old 26th May 2021
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcatt View Post
Just do it. I put a LiFe battery in mine and I regret I didn't do it sooner. It replaced an 18 month old lead acid that was supposedly better, having more CCA's the the original. There's no comparison how the LiFe battery spins the engine on the starter vs the (still good) lead acid battery it replaced.
I'm 99% sure I'm going to go lithium. I'm searching for a bad, original batter. I'll gut it and use it as a battery box for the lithium cells.

What battery did you use?
Old 26th May 2021
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200X Turbo 48
Sportster/Buell Year: 2011
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200 Roadster
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2008
Turbo Sporty 48 has disabled reputation

Do not know where Never, Never Land is but here in Maine when the temps dip down the lithium battery needs to be warmed up by leaving the head lights on a bit.
When too cold the BMS shuts off the juice so there is no damage to the cells.
Old 26th May 2021
Dazed & Confused

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2017
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW R9T
Other Motorcycle Year: 2015
Tomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by t120r View Post
I'm 99% sure I'm going to go lithium. I'm searching for a bad, original batter. I'll gut it and use it as a battery box for the lithium cells.

What battery did you use?
I got an EarthX ETZ14C. It has the same footprint as the original but is shorter and has ~100 more CCA's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Sporty 48 View Post
Do not know where Never, Never Land is but here in Maine when the temps dip down the lithium battery needs to be warmed up by leaving the head lights on a bit.
When too cold the BMS shuts off the juice so there is no damage to the cells.
I'm in SE WI which is in my signature line but is apparently only shown in my first post in a thread. The EarthX LiFe I got is intended for cold starts (snowmobiles) and has a little different BMS. Or, you let it sit with the H/L and ignition on and let the batteries' internal chemistry warm up. In that respect it's much like the Lithium Polymer batteries my RC airplanes use. Just got the LiFe for the Sportster and its' coldest cold start has been at ~50F. It didn't seem to think that was cold, it spun the motor same as it does at 80F.
Old 4 Days Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

I finally got my 1/8" endmills. Hard to find time for anything anymore. Hopefully in the next week or so I'll rough up a timing wheel with 24 teeth to see if the Microsquirt and Harley sensor will play nice.