The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > XR Sportster Motorcycle Talk - XR750, XR1000, XR1200
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

XR Sportster Motorcycle Talk - XR750, XR1000, XR1200 For XR Sportsters: XR750, XR1000, XR1200

Active Threads
0 Q cams in 73 xlh ??
Last Post: 73HEAD
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 30
Views: 1,465
0 1983 Roadster
Last Post: cazz1000
Replies: 18
Views: 472
0 Ride report: Wheels Through Time motorcycle museum.
Last Post: Captain Johnny
Replies: 18
Views: 565
0 Anyone go racing last weekend?
Last Post: jcro61
Replies: 3,398
Views: 382,079
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Crusty
Replies: 24,565
Views: 1,449,544
0 Lurker from the SF Bay Area
Last Post: calileo
Replies: 0
Views: 16
5 Rethinking 1250 Build
Last Post: John Harper
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 351
0 Stroker pistons
Last Post: needspeed
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 56
Views: 3,190
0 First start question
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 424
0 Would you buy a Sportster S?
Last Post: MikeBel
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 25
Views: 2,116
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 32,004
Views: 3,716,884
0 Should I buy a Sportster??
Last Post: Steve9
Replies: 527
Views: 213,166
0 This is gonna hurt.
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 8,883
Views: 2,069,259
0 Exhaust question
Last Post: Monte03
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 538
3 Removing key switch ignition
Last Post: decman
Replies: 5
Views: 122
0 Back to factory ign mod help
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Replies: 8
Views: 395
0 Bassani Baffle Supplier
Last Post: SonWon
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 123
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 51,942
Views: 8,740,808
0 1974 sportster vin issues! what the heck did I buy?
Last Post: ryder rick
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 78
Views: 4,624
0 harley davidson 1999 883 5 speed transmission installation
Last Post: Hippysmack
Replies: 23
Views: 314
0 Timing, static or strobe?
Last Post: ryder rick
Replies: 8
Views: 571
0 KT - 2021 - You're In It Now
Last Post: wedge
Replies: 64
Views: 11,435
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 3,646
Views: 413,429
0 Starter Relay?
Last Post: Tomcatt
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 544
0 Leaking shifter shaft seal again
Last Post: xena
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 875
0 Not funny... I Crashed it....
Last Post: Andy56
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 24
Views: 1,667
0 How many Sporty seats ya got for one ass?
Last Post: Gold Member
Posted On: 16 Hours Ago
Replies: 275
Views: 64,212
0 33.4mm fork bushings
Last Post: Tim The Grim
Posted On: 23 Hours Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 505
0 help with stuck engine
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 1 Day Ago
Replies: 43
Views: 2,886
0 09 883L starts but dies, new fuel pump
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 1 Day Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 247
More...
Members Birthdays
doughboy (68), tinman (66), mofo (59), JAFI (58), Topgun (56), Hogwylde (56), Pay Toilet (55), grwhite038 (53), JWG883 (52), sorryifitburns (48), Leibniz (46), higgins14 (44)
Tags
flat track, flattrack, racing

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th May 2008
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW R1150RS
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
Rags is an unknown quantity at this point

The next thing to fix is getting the frame rails under the engine level with the floor while you are sitting on the bike. This is the end result from the front and rear spring rates, rider sag, and the position of the upper fork tubes in the triple clamps. If the rear of the frame rail is +/- 1/4 ", you may get into stability problems. You may be on to something here. HD designs the front axle higher than the rear. 16" rear w 19 or 21" front (a 3" - 5"/2 difference). My tires are 19". I replaced the OEM shock with a 1" longer shock to clear the rear fender. The bottom line is I reduced the rake/trail. With a reduced trail the steering damper should be effective (but not the final solution)

I suggest start levelthat I have to check, and as you get everything else worked out, you can move from there if needed. One of the problems with the aftermarket suspension companies is that they do not take this into account when making their spring and rider sag recommendations. I have verified this with Roadsters, XL 50, Nightsters, but not with Customs with the 21" front wheel.

Then get a fork brace , Metzlers Got 'em, and the appropriate springs and other suspension related settings. Then add the steering damper.
Old 24th May 2008
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
XLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond repute

How about a quick ride report before and after adding the 19" tires?
Former Ricor test rider for IAS Shocks, Intiminators and Vibranators. Works Dual Rate fork springs, fork brace, Avon Venom X tires, loosen drive belt, and set frame rails level to floor. See "7 Pages of Suspension" thread in the Suspension Sticky Index. It's official, I am now in the "I've forgotten more than I remember club."
Old 24th May 2008
Greasemonkey

Would you believe that I never rode a Sportster. I'm in Norcal, bought the bike from Ventura HD, had it delivered to Storz, when finished I drove 350 miles to SF. I did rent a Vrod in Daytona for a couple of days.

Truth be told, I wouldn't have bought the bike if I rode it first. I'm a Beemer LD rider since 1972 and I never had handling problems like this before, even with my Brit bikes before that. But I'll do the best I can to get it right.
Old 24th May 2008
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

XLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond repute

So how much of the Stortz stuff did you have them put on it? No, it will never be a BMW, but with the proper set up it can still be a very honest bike, for a middle weight cruiser.
Old 24th May 2008
Greasemonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLXR View Post
So how much of the Stortz stuff did you have them put on it? No, it will never be a BMW, but with the proper set up it can still be a very honest bike, for a middle weight cruiser.
A middleweight tourer is exactly what I wanted. I didn't get the Storz Forks. They weren't adjustable & the triple trees maintained the OEM rake/trail (but larger diameter). The Buell front fender treatment they use looks great, but the fender is tupperware and gives no structural support. I didn't care for their shocks, they weren't gas and didn't have adj damping (as I recall).

I got the tank, seat and rims wired, chain, exhaust. They really don't do mechanical work, just some bolt on - and they are neat and nice people to work with.

Old 24th May 2008
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
BWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond repute

Very Nice Rags!
Old 24th May 2008
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 883R
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell P3
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2001
Other Motorcycle Model: Ninja650R traded for 883R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
Ralphthe3rd is a splendid one to beholdRalphthe3rd is a splendid one to beholdRalphthe3rd is a splendid one to beholdRalphthe3rd is a splendid one to beholdRalphthe3rd is a splendid one to beholdRalphthe3rd is a splendid one to beholdRalphthe3rd is a splendid one to beholdRalphthe3rd is a splendid one to beholdRalphthe3rd is a splendid one to beholdRalphthe3rd is a splendid one to beholdRalphthe3rd is a splendid one to behold
Lightbulb Ya know...

You really should have RODE your STOCK '07 883R before having it modded, it's nothing to brag about, but mine doesn't ever get any headshake problems, and I have it upto 110mph quite often
FYI- I have 10,000mi on my '07 883R now, and I've only had it 13 months. It's no Beemer, but it ain't that bad in stock form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags View Post
Would you believe that I never rode a Sportster. I'm in Norcal, bought the bike from Ventura HD, had it delivered to Storz, when finished I drove 350 miles to SF. I did rent a Vrod in Daytona for a couple of days.

Truth be told, I wouldn't have bought the bike if I rode it first. I'm a Beemer LD rider since 1972 and I never had handling problems like this before, even with my Brit bikes before that. But I'll do the best I can to get it right.
Old 24th May 2008
Greasemonkey

Thanks for the comment. Yup, Ralph is right. I just assumed that a manufacturer that's been in biz so long and the model being mature wouldn't have those problems.
Old 24th May 2008
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Rags - Very nice. That was the direction I was thinking of going in originally. How about more details, how much do you weigh, what spring rates and length on the shocks, how does it ride now?

Here are my recommendations for set up:

1. Take the shocks off and make sure the chain tension does not bind up the rear suspension as the rear axle moves through a line formed by the swingarm pivot bolts and the center of the stock pulley. On a stock bike, 1/2 turn on the adjusters can make the difference between binding and not binding. Make sure you also get a good alignment.

2. Get a Superbrace fork brace.

3. Experiment with different tire pressures. Too high can reduce the contact patch and make it unstable, and loose braking traction, too low and the rim can bottom out against square edge bumps. I like pressures on the low side so I get maximum braking traction.

4. Measure the distance the frame rails are off the floor when you are sitting on the bike. Did you gain clearance? You can adjust the shock and fork preload, and adjust the height of the forks in the triple clamps to get the frame rails as close to level as possible.

5. Work on the forks. Put a plastic tie on them to see how much travel you use. If they are still stock, they are probably too soft. You can add up to 2 oz of fork oil to reduce bottoming, or add air valves. The Works Dual Rate fork springs are far better because you can adjust the crossover point between the initial low and final high rates. See my signature for details. DO NOT simply change to stiffer fork oil. That is the wrong direction because it slows movement of the forks too much.

6. Assuming the shock set up is correct, which basically means a smooth ride without bottoming out and not over damped, go back to the number 4 and set the chassis pitch to whatever position you want to give it the feel you want.

Get all this right, and then move onto the 1250 conversion. Contact Whittlebeast about his single disc brake upgrade. He changed the caliper and master cylinder.

Last edited by XLXR; 24th May 2008 at 15:58..
Old 24th May 2008
Greasemonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLXR View Post
Rags - Very nice. That was the direction I was thinking of going in originally. How about more details, how much do you weigh, what spring rates and length on the shocks, how does it ride now?

Here are my recommendations for set up:

1. Take the shocks off and make sure the chain tension does not bind up the rear suspension as the rear axle moves through a line formed by the swingarm pivot bolts and the center of the stock pulley. On a stock bike, 1/2 turn on the adjusters can make the difference between binding and not binding. Make sure you also get a good alignment.The dealer tech adjusted the chain, but that's good advice to check it

2. Get a Superbrace fork brace.Got it. Pic taken before install

3. Experiment with different tire pressures. Too high can reduce the contact patch and make it unstable, and loose braking traction, too low and the rim can bottom out against square edge bumps. I like pressures on the low side so I get maximum braking traction.I have & 38/40 seems OK.

4. Measure the distance the frame rails are off the floor when you are sitting on the bike. Did you gain clearance? You can adjust the shock and fork preload, and adjust the height of the forks in the triple clamps to get the frame rails as close to level as possible.I did gain clearance, I got about 5-51/2". I adjusted my preload according to shock manufacturer rate, then softened them to take some twist off swing arm. But I'm going back to that setting, cause now I get frame unstability from gusty cross winds

5. Work on the forks. Put a plastic tie on them to see how much travel you use. If they are still stock, they are probably too soft. You can add up to 2 oz of fork oil to reduce bottoming, or add air valves. The Works Dual Rate fork springs are far better because you can adjust the crossover point between the initial low and final high rates. I received progressive forks and the tech dissuaded me from putting them on so I sent them backSee my signature for details. DO NOT simply change to stiffer fork oil. That is the wrong direction because it slows movement of the forks too much. So far the set has tightened everything up. I figure the OEM front forks are OK now since its a one up road bike.

6. Assuming the shock set up is correct, which basically means a smooth ride without bottoming out and not over damped, go back to the number 4 that I gotta doand set the chassis pitch to whatever position you want to give it the feel you want.

Get all this right, and then move onto the 1250 conversion.Nah. I'm an old dog. I bought this bike to slo down for safety reasons. My current touring bike is a 95HP BMW R1150RS. I go for hours north & south of a buck and I just have to stop it. I wanted the HD to go 80-90 safely and it's not there yet. Contact Whittlebeast about his single disc brake upgrade. He changed the caliper and master cylinder.
Oh BTW, I'm an unrepentant squid.