The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Styles > Chopper & Bobber Talk
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Chopper & Bobber Talk Talk about your Sportster motorcycle chopper or bobber!!.

Active Threads
0 Helping a friend...
Last Post: Toejam503
Posted On: 7 Minutes Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 136
0 ***DK Custom-Limited Time-Free Shipping & International Savings***
Last Post: DK Custom
Posted On: 7 Minutes Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 369
0 Dale's Killer 40mm CV Carb
Last Post: Serious Blac
Posted On: 24 Minutes Ago
Replies: 19
Views: 726
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: BKB
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 1,747
Views: 191,030
0 Wheel Bearing Question
Last Post: Screw Loose Dan
Replies: 6
Views: 196
0 2011 exhaust on 2004?
Last Post: Folkie
Replies: 3
Views: 37
0 How stock is your bike
Last Post: Lone Rider
Replies: 145
Views: 29,913
0 High Pipe exhaust
Last Post: Blowupster
Replies: 83
Views: 12,109
0 Big bore stroker - the beginning of a 10-year long build
Last Post: mrmom9r
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 836
Views: 77,416
0 Iree's jukbox joint
Last Post: rokytnji
Replies: 4,904
Views: 283,542
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 799
Views: 50,131
0 best replacement battery
Last Post: dellrio
Replies: 34
Views: 14,388
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 42,196
Views: 6,540,205
0 No working taillight, but bike still runs? Schematic included.
Last Post: Nate.evans
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 247
0 Hello Everybody
Last Post: CBryant
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 142
0 XR750 road bike?
Last Post: Scott
Views: 121
0 Spokes or Mags
Last Post: Scott
Replies: 329
Views: 59,365
0 Every last drop of HP from a 1200ci.
Last Post: b0fh
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 215
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 9,136
Views: 750,850
0 Ignition Module failure or Intake leak?
Last Post: GT Cyclery
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Views: 89
0 Rivets for Front Fender Braces - '71 xlch
Last Post: Bwf347
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Views: 3,152
0 Reflectors...Yeah, or Neh
Last Post: Ireeman
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 166
Views: 38,147
0 Greetings from Riedcoast
Last Post: jharback
Views: 125
0 Hello From Los Angeles
Last Post: jharback
Replies: 11
Views: 433
0 What did you do to your EFI Sporty today?
Last Post: ncxl
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 3,895
Views: 722,400
0 Air Cleaner Bracket Mounting
Last Post: IronMick
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 234
0 New Member, New Build with pics, and some questions
Last Post: doodah man
Posted On: 14 Hours Ago
Replies: 31
Views: 1,263
0 Spokes and dual disc
Last Post: PetesPonies
Posted On: 15 Hours Ago
Replies: 40
Views: 1,129
0 Gravydog crashed again.
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 16 Hours Ago
Replies: 137
Views: 9,588
8 Crankshaft Failure
Last Post: wedge
Posted On: 16 Hours Ago
Replies: 107
Views: 44,026
More...
Members Birthdays
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th April 2018
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1973
Iron John has much to be proud ofIron John has much to be proud ofIron John has much to be proud ofIron John has much to be proud ofIron John has much to be proud ofIron John has much to be proud ofIron John has much to be proud ofIron John has much to be proud ofIron John has much to be proud ofIron John has much to be proud ofIron John has much to be proud of
Default Ironhead 2 into 1 exhaust?

I'm working on a '73 Sportster bobber/track project. I've been all over the net looking for a nice 2 into 1 exhaust that fits the look. Can anyone help? Everything that has the right look seems to be made for later models. Thanks!

I do have the custom option of using 2 old sets of drag pipes and cutting them up and/or using a kit, but I'm looking for something nice and done if I can find it.

Last edited by Iron John; 13th April 2018 at 18:06..
Old 15th April 2018
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: ironhead XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
northern bobber is a splendid one to beholdnorthern bobber is a splendid one to beholdnorthern bobber is a splendid one to beholdnorthern bobber is a splendid one to beholdnorthern bobber is a splendid one to beholdnorthern bobber is a splendid one to beholdnorthern bobber is a splendid one to beholdnorthern bobber is a splendid one to beholdnorthern bobber is a splendid one to beholdnorthern bobber is a splendid one to beholdnorthern bobber is a splendid one to behold

here is a thread with what i buildt last winter for my -77
http://xlforum.net/forums/s....php?t=2061289

I was also looking for something ready done, but couldn't find anything i really liked. I also wanted to keep a specific length on them. I basically used up a set of drags and a 2" collector and a few curces i bought. didn't put more than 30e into them in parts plus the wrapping.
Old 15th April 2018
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLS roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1985
iNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a pic of what I made for my 85.

This is a rear pipe for a late S model. I cut the flange off and welded the end of an old 1-7/8" drag pipe to it. The front pipe is a drag pipe with the same size pipe as the other one I cut off then I step it up to a larger 1-15/16" piece from another drag pipe and then merged it into the bottom of the bend of the rear pipe where it becomes 2" the largest step before entering the chamber 2-1/4" where I have a louvered baffle to help tune the back pressure. ( I started with an 11" baffle and cut it down to a 6" and also flattened the louvers about half way down )

I got the rear pipe off Fleebay for $25 and the old drags I had just lying around so was a cheap pipe to build.
It added a lot of torque judging by my but dyno and actually didn't notice any top end loss after I tuned it a bit.
Old 16th April 2018
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Iron John has much to be proud ofIron John has much to be proud ofIron John has much to be proud ofIron John has much to be proud ofIron John has much to be proud ofIron John has much to be proud ofIron John has much to be proud ofIron John has much to be proud ofIron John has much to be proud ofIron John has much to be proud ofIron John has much to be proud of

Good stuff. I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and make up something custom. I have two old sets of drag pipes to work with.
Old 16th April 2018
Flat Track Champion

northern bobber is a splendid one to beholdnorthern bobber is a splendid one to beholdnorthern bobber is a splendid one to beholdnorthern bobber is a splendid one to beholdnorthern bobber is a splendid one to beholdnorthern bobber is a splendid one to beholdnorthern bobber is a splendid one to beholdnorthern bobber is a splendid one to beholdnorthern bobber is a splendid one to beholdnorthern bobber is a splendid one to beholdnorthern bobber is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron John View Post
Good stuff. I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and make up something custom. I have two old sets of drag pipes to work with.
with that you dont need more than maybe one 90 tight bend and one larger around the cone, one collector with 2" out and then whatever you feel like putting at the end.

I made some tools. I took t-bolt clamps (cheapest ones i could find) and drilled large holes in the sides. 3 holes per clamp. Large enough just not to brake the clamp. Then you can cut and create the pipe and twist it and always tighten down adn still go back and change settings. When done, you just point weld them thru the holes and they hold together. Mine came out perfect bend wise that way. I also put a lollipop inside the 2" end pipe to brake the reversion. Seems to work real good. Might try out a supertrapp at some point but for now these seem to make the shit fly.
Old 16th April 2018
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1969
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1971
Other Motorcycle Model: XLCR Tribute
Other Motorcycle Year: 1980
Old Junk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Exhaust

Hey Iron John,

I've got a NOS muffler and a not-so-perfect header collector for a 1978 Sportster that I've been looking to part with. Throw me a p/m. i'd like these things to find a good home.
Old 16th April 2018
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Northern, would you happen to have pics of the clamps you made? I'm trying to wrap my head around what you did. I was planning to use Clecos with some play for adjustments.
Old 16th April 2018
Flat Track Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron John View Post
Northern, would you happen to have pics of the clamps you made? I'm trying to wrap my head around what you did. I was planning to use Clecos with some play for adjustments.
I looked but didn't have a pic and the clamps are at my garage. But basically the clamps are of this style

LINK TO CLAMPS

Then I drilled with a cone drill on three sides of the clamp big holes. Then you just leave the seam where the pipes meet in the middle of the hole. The wider clamps you find the better.
Old 16th April 2018
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Perfect, thanks! I had been thinking of another type of clamp and understand now. This should make things much easier.
Sponsored Links
Old 16th April 2018
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLX-61
Sportster/Buell Year: 1983
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CL350
Other Motorcycle Year: 1969
83XLX has a reputation beyond repute83XLX has a reputation beyond repute83XLX has a reputation beyond repute83XLX has a reputation beyond repute83XLX has a reputation beyond repute83XLX has a reputation beyond repute83XLX has a reputation beyond repute83XLX has a reputation beyond repute83XLX has a reputation beyond repute83XLX has a reputation beyond repute83XLX has a reputation beyond repute

Look back at post #6 by Old Junk. I'm pretty sure he has a factory 2-1 he's offering to sell you. You probably don't need the big muffler, but the head pipes are almost exactly the same configuration as the ones others have posted here. It would save a lot of fab on your part.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it (especially if you don't know what you're doing). Most Sportster problems are owner-induced.