The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Intake and Exhaust > Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust Problems, advice and/or how tos for Sporster and Buell motorcycle carburators, Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI), Air Intake, Fuel and Exhaust.

Active Threads
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 8 Minutes Ago
Replies: 39,790
Views: 6,088,351
0 Cartridge Conversion?
Last Post: shanneba
Posted On: 8 Minutes Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 106
0 Hello from Kentucky
Last Post: juzyHD
Posted On: 14 Minutes Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 41
0 Hello from Toronto, Canada!
Last Post: juzyHD
Posted On: 15 Minutes Ago
Views: 74
0 You asked for it! "The Tess' Coffee Thread"
Last Post: cotton1
Posted On: 37 Minutes Ago
Replies: 9,927
Views: 582,315
0 This week on Craig's list
Last Post: MXHD55U
Posted On: 39 Minutes Ago
Replies: 3,365
Views: 302,756
0 Tried to buy a new helmet
Last Post: Flame__
Posted On: 45 Minutes Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 351
0 Gaskets & Rubber
Last Post: sltm1
Posted On: 48 Minutes Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 49
0 Ironheads ain't worth more than $1,500 (1969 XLH original paint)
Last Post: MXHD55U
Posted On: 54 Minutes Ago
Replies: 131
Views: 8,493
0 What's your opinion on windshields?
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 1,151
Views: 170,469
0 Oil??
Last Post: rokytnji
Views: 179
0 This Week in my Shop
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 177
Views: 18,897
0 Transmission help!!! tire locks up downshifting!!!
Last Post: Jefferymares
Replies: 4
Views: 95
0 Any K model guys interested in cam regrinding?
Last Post: Chuckthebeatertruck
Replies: 51
Views: 3,530
0 THE Hockey Thread
Last Post: Airbozo
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 4,006
Views: 236,788
More...
Members Birthdays
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th November 2008
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 Low
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
silvestre.tanenbaum is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How do I modify stock 1200 mufflers?

Hello all. I own an 07 1200 Low, bone stock right now. I have heard of people who (manually) modify their mufflers/baffles (drilling holes and such) without noticeable power loss, or performance issues, and improve the sound. I was wondering if anybody could shed any light/instructions/dire warnings on how to do this...I am on a tight budget right now, but I would like to improve the sound. I mainly ride in city (Denton, TX).

BTW, great forums you guys have here! I look forward to reading responses!

Thanx,
Sly
Old 25th November 2008
XLF LIFEMEMBER Im retired

Sportster/Buell Model: XL50 0596 Black
Other Motorcycle Model: E-Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
Bob F has a reputation beyond reputeBob F has a reputation beyond reputeBob F has a reputation beyond reputeBob F has a reputation beyond reputeBob F has a reputation beyond reputeBob F has a reputation beyond reputeBob F has a reputation beyond reputeBob F has a reputation beyond reputeBob F has a reputation beyond reputeBob F has a reputation beyond reputeBob F has a reputation beyond repute

I see it's your first post. Hello from Pittsburgh and welcome to the XLForum.

Here's 2 different methods to modify your stock mufflers. Neither one makes much difference in power but does add some sound. A big advantage is you shouldn't need to do any tuning for these mods. The second link is free and easy. Good luck.

http://xlforum.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=16948

http://xlforum.net/forums/s...=338778&page=2
Old 25th November 2008
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Moved On / My Own Choice has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob F View Post
Neither one makes much difference in power but does add some sound.
I continue to say "facts still not in evidence" because your testing was too limited.

I suggest that it CAN make a decent difference, close to that of other slip ons.
Old 25th November 2008

Bob F has a reputation beyond reputeBob F has a reputation beyond reputeBob F has a reputation beyond reputeBob F has a reputation beyond reputeBob F has a reputation beyond reputeBob F has a reputation beyond reputeBob F has a reputation beyond reputeBob F has a reputation beyond reputeBob F has a reputation beyond reputeBob F has a reputation beyond reputeBob F has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I continue to say "facts still not in evidence" because your testing was too limited.
I did the Gronk Mod making the holes larger than his instruction and added a few rows. Then I opened up the AC and installed a K&N filter. When I did another baseline Dyno pull I gained 2 HP. The Dyno tech said he could have tuned some more power out of it but he wanted to schedule it for a different day. The sound was more what I wanted. I decided to save my money for upgrades so you're right, my testing was limited.

The Supertrapp and PCIII made a world of difference, haven't done another Dyno yet to get the numbers. These mod were close to a grand but worth it to me.
Old 25th November 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob F View Post
I did the Gronk Mod making the holes larger than his instruction and added a few rows. Then I opened up the AC and installed a K&N filter. When I did another baseline Dyno pull I gained 2 HP. The Dyno tech said he could have tuned some more power out of it but he wanted to schedule it for a different day. The sound was more what I wanted. I decided to save my money for upgrades so you're right, my testing was limited.
BINGO - you changed multiple variables at the same time, possibly mismatched some components.

IF harley's claims are anywhere near correct (and they usually are) on their SE mufflers (without an AC) change, then you should see much more than 2 hp out of JUST Gronks... but without pre and post runs, there is no way to know for sure.
Old 25th November 2008

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 Gone
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Don Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev M View Post
BINGO - you changed multiple variables at the same time, possibly mismatched some components.

IF harley's claims are anywhere near correct (and they usually are) on their SE mufflers (without an AC) change, then you should see much more than 2 hp out of JUST Gronks... but without pre and post runs, there is no way to know for sure.
Kev, Are you sure that H-D made a claim for more peak HP with the SE SP mufflers? I do know that they made a claim for more peak torque but that is at considerably less than peak rpm. I doubt that the Gronks breathe too much better than stock at high rpm, so perhaps Bob F's peak 2 HP increase with them along with the K&N filter was accurate? I wish that he could find his Dyno sheet as I'd like to look at the torque curve. I do think that the Gronks make more power in the midrange than stock just as the SE SPs do.

Correction: I just went to the H-D site and discovered that the SE SP mufflers do add 4 or 5 peak HP along with another 10 or 11 ft lb of torque at around 4,000 rpm on an EFI 1200. Despite having looked at that chart many times I had forgotten about the HP claims.

Last edited by Don Burton; 3rd December 2008 at 20:17.. Reason: Correction:
Old 25th November 2008

Don Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvestre.tanenbaum View Post
Hello all. I own an 07 1200 Low, bone stock right now. I have heard of people who (manually) modify their mufflers/baffles (drilling holes and such) without noticeable power loss, or performance issues, and improve the sound. I was wondering if anybody could shed any light/instructions/dire warnings on how to do this.
Sly, In addition to the two ways to modify your stock mufflers that Bob F mentioned there are several others. (1) If you want loud and open, you can cut the baffles out of the back of the muffler with a 1 3/4 inch hole saw and leave them out. You would then want to file the edges of the saw cut smooth down to the wall of the muffler. This mod would cause you to lose some of yoru lower and midrange power just as some of the open aftermarket mufflers do. (2) The Gronk mod can be modified so that the baffle tubes do not need to welded back into the muffler. They can be expanded in place by an exhaust shop with no weld necessary. (3) You can buy or make your own baffles to fit. (4) You can cut the whole baffle plug out with a 1 1/4 inch hole saw. Some people don't like taking the whole baffle plug out as it leaves the mufflers with a slight chirping/whistling sound only at idle which sometimes goes away after 10,000 miles or so. (5) You can drill a hole from 3/8 to 1 inch through the middle of the baffle plug with no whistling sound noted. Drilling a hole through the baffle plug is the only one of these mods that can easily be reversed. All you need to reverse it is a small bolt and a couple of washers to plug up the hole. If you just drill a 3/8 inch hole in the center of each baffle plug (make sure that you keep it centered with some sort of centering device), you will have better sound and it shouldn't flow enough more to require retuning. If you then want to go louder you can do so by drilling a 1/2 inch or larger hole through the plug. The baffle plug is a sheetmetal plug approx 10 inches up inside the muffler. Personally, I like the Gronks the best as I don't like too loud.
"The day soldiers stop bringing you their problems is the day you have stopped leading them. They have either lost confidence that you can help them or concluded that you do not care. Either case is a failure of leadership." Lt. General Colin Powell, U.S.A., ret.
Old 25th November 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Burton View Post
Kev, Are you sure that H-D made a claim for more peak HP with the SE SP mufflers? I do know that they made a claim for more peak torque but that is at considerably less than peak rpm. I doubt that the Gronks breathe too much better than stock at high rpm, so perhaps Bob F's peak 2 HP increase with them along with the K&N filter was accurate? I wish that he could find his Dyno sheet as I'd like to look at the torque curve. I do think that the Gronks make more power in the midrange than stock just as the SE SPs do.
I'd have to double-check the articles and the charts.

I remember for sure that the lionshare of the Stage I torque was now gained by SE slip-ons alone (as of 07 models).

But if memory serves me right JUST UNDER 50% of the HP gains were made by the slip-ons alone - still that was more in the neighborhood of 5-7 hp, not "2"
Old 25th November 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev M View Post
I'd have to double-check the articles and the charts.

I remember for sure that the lionshare of the Stage I torque was now gained by SE slip-ons alone (as of 07 models).

But if memory serves me right JUST UNDER 50% of the HP gains were made by the slip-ons alone - still that was more in the neighborhood of 5-7 hp, not "2"
I just went to the H-D site and discovered that the SE SP mufflers do add 4 or 5 peak HP along with another 10 or 11 ft lb of torque at around 4,000 rpm on an EFI 1200. Despite having looked at that chart many times I had forgotten about the HP claims. Guess I'm getting old! If they only did one dyno run on Bob F's bike then the dyno reading wouldn't be legitimate but if they did several in the proper manner, both before and after the mod, then the readings would be legit. It sounds like they ran out of time. I suppose that it's also possible that the K&N air cleaner combined with the new exhaust may have caused the engine to go too lean, especially if the bike hadn't been run a couple of hundred miles first in order for the ECM to "learn" the new required settings.
Sponsored Links
Old 25th November 2008

Quote:
I wish that he could find his Dyno sheet as I'd like to look at the torque curve.
When I find it I'll post it, it won't be soon though for several reasons, sorry. The Dyno run was after many miles so the ECM had it's chance. All I asked for was a baseline pull and they slipped me in between other work.

Quote:
it's also possible that the K&N air cleaner combined with the new exhaust may have caused the engine to go too lean
The AFR will show this.