The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 22 Minutes Ago
Replies: 15,080
Views: 1,429,432
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Posted On: 40 Minutes Ago
Replies: 45,525
Views: 7,187,274
0 Transformer XR1200
Last Post: Davo_137
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 131
Views: 10,637
0 What Kind of Gas Treatment Do You Use?
Last Post: wrkdWS6
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 310
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: SonWon
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 2,600
Views: 343,199
0 Pictorial Essay, my town, Waterloo, Ontario
Last Post: Edwinblake
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 3,930
0 TMC Dumont motorcycle concept
Last Post: Nibelungen
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 134
0 98 Stator Removal / Inspection / Installation
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 38
Views: 1,021
0 xr1200 thottlebody on xb heads (does it fit?!)
Last Post: rocketmangb
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 38
0 P0505 code on my '09 XL883C driving me insane!!
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 56
0 What weight oil?
Last Post: Serious Blac
Replies: 26
Views: 1,173
0 never mind
Last Post: Brad
Replies: 0
Views: 59
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 14,354
Views: 805,577
0 Not an ironhead, but....
Last Post: randy3934
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 38
0 Iree's late night cafe
Last Post: ~Grind~
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,341
Views: 170,043
0 What gas mileage do you get for touring?
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 145
Views: 51,617
0 Do you use premium gas in your Sportster?
Last Post: jcn59
Replies: 1,795
Views: 369,495
0 Cable lengths
Last Post: xElvis
Replies: 5
Views: 182
0 Seeking advice on shorter rear shocks
Last Post: Gulf Coaster
Replies: 18
Views: 548
0 This week on Craig's list
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 4,463
Views: 545,741
0 Analog to digital speedometer install...
Last Post: Flame__
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 93
0 2011 1200C tuner?
Last Post: ktp1598
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 211
0 How many have converted their 883 to 1200?
Last Post: Highly-Dangerous
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 389
Views: 107,546
0 Timing
Last Post: needspeed
Replies: 6
Views: 207
0 How much is a late 60's early 70's Sportster worth?
Last Post: Gold Member
Replies: 13
Views: 1,144
0 2007 Sportster xl883l (low) 3k original miles
Last Post: Skeezix
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 18
Views: 334
0 Charging cell phone when camping?
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 61
Views: 18,760
0 Powerraythor conversion
Last Post: Maxeffort
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 17
Views: 780
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 3,792
Views: 477,125
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: Traxx
Posted On: 14 Hours Ago
Replies: 6,465
Views: 844,968
More...
Members Birthdays
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th October 2006
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Winterize Your IronHead!

Note that the sequence of doing these steps is important.

1. Add fuel preservative to the fuel tank.
2. Top up the fuel tank to completely full; this will mix the fuel and preservative.
3. Run the bike to warm the engine and transmission oils, to move preservative throughout the fuel system, and to further mix the fuel and preservative.

Edit: Do step 4 only if the engine is fully warmed up, like after a ride. IronHeads should not be allowed to idle cold for that length of time due to limited oil circulation. With the preservative throughout the fuel system it is not really necessary to drain the carb.
4. Drain the carb by shutting off the fuel valve, run the RPM up to 1500 or so a few times then let it run until it stalls [a few minutes].

5. Change the engine oil and filter. Change the transmission fluid.
6. Spray engine preservative into spark plug holes.

Edit: re step 7, if the bike has electronic ignition, be sure to have spark plugs in the wires and grounded on the cylinder heads while cranking the engine. I use a spare set for this.
7. Crank the engine with the spark plugs disconnected to distribute the preservative. Spray some of the engine preservative spray into the intake while cranking.

8. Plug exhaust pipes if mice may be a problem.
9. Wash and wax the bike.
10. Put battery on an automatic battery charger, or put it on a trickle charger overnight once a month. Use between .75 and 1.5 amps.

Edit: For extended storage consider removing the pushrods. This will ensure that the valves are closed and that the valve springs are in their uncompressed state.

Edit: December 2012, a good suggestion from forum member stalkie ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkie View Post
WD40
I spray on any part that might corrode and areas that are a bit more difficult to reach or where I dont want to comtaminate surrounding surfaces spray on to a rag and wipe over with that. I tend add another coat when I feel it's needed, your bike does end up rather dirty but at least it's easy to clean off with some mild detergent when the weather improves. I rather live with a bit of winter grime to preserve my summer sparkle and shine !
EDIT: ... and one last thing to keep in mind ...
WINTER - Why You Shouldn't Just Start and Run Your Bike...
http://xlforum.net/forums/s....php?t=1737170

Visit Mick's WebSite
[And Check Out My Autobiog]

Last edited by IronMick; 24th February 2014 at 13:29.. Reason: Added notes re steps 4 and 7. Added last EDIT.
Old 18th October 2006
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 81 sporty
boilermaker is just really niceboilermaker is just really niceboilermaker is just really niceboilermaker is just really niceboilermaker is just really niceboilermaker is just really niceboilermaker is just really niceboilermaker is just really niceboilermaker is just really niceboilermaker is just really niceboilermaker is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMick
Winter Storage for Your Ironhead

1. Add fuel preservative to the fuel tank.
2. Top up the fuel tank to completely full.
3. Run the bike to warm the engine and transmission oils, and to mix the fuel and preservative.
4. Drain the carb by shutting off the fuel valve and let it run until it stalls.
5. Change the engine oil and filter. Change the transmission fluid.
6. Spray engine preservative spray into spark plug holes.
7. Crank the engine with the spark plugs disconnected to distribute the preservative. Spray some into the intake while cranking.
8. Plug exhaust pipes if mice may be a problem.
9. Wash and wax the bike.
10. Charge battery with an automatic or trickle charger once a month. Use between .75 and 1.5 amps.
Good deal
Did I meantion I hate winter??
Old 18th October 2006
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 1973 early xlh
thescreenman is on a distinguished roadthescreenman is on a distinguished road

Mick(10. Charge battery with an automatic or trickle charger once a month. Use between .75 and 1.5 amps). I always thought you set it and forget it.Doesnt it go into a float mode.Battery tender?Great tips but I just got her so Im still going to it snows,12 years is alot of time to make up for.Thanks
Old 18th October 2006
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: sporty custom xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1969
Frapper has disabled reputation

Hey guys these are Iron heads, justy park that pig and wrestle with it next spring. You know its gonna be a bitch no matter what you do anyway.

Oh yeah did I mention mine is super winter proofed. Its in a million pieces on the work bench so its actually as winter proofed as it can get. Those sneaky meeses may be a bigger problem thatn I think though. Dang it any way.

Good Ideas Mick but the Iron heads all have minds of ther own. Stupi dancing bananaaaaaaaassssss

Last edited by Frapper; 18th October 2006 at 16:38..
Old 18th October 2006
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 61
Other Motorcycle Model: Superglide
Other Motorcycle Year: 74
MDT has a reputation beyond reputeMDT has a reputation beyond reputeMDT has a reputation beyond reputeMDT has a reputation beyond reputeMDT has a reputation beyond reputeMDT has a reputation beyond reputeMDT has a reputation beyond reputeMDT has a reputation beyond reputeMDT has a reputation beyond reputeMDT has a reputation beyond reputeMDT has a reputation beyond repute

last night I moved TNT over to the side of the garage. i made room for my car. This morning there are 6 inches of snow. It's kind of sad but what the heck summer was over a month ago.
Old 18th October 2006
Rider Of The Iron Steed

IronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescreenman
Mick(10. Charge battery with an automatic or trickle charger once a month. Use between .75 and 1.5 amps). I always thought you set it and forget it.Doesnt it go into a float mode.Battery tender?Great tips but I just got her so Im still going to it snows,12 years is alot of time to make up for.Thanks
Yes, set it and forget it if it is an automatic charger. For a non-automatic charger charge it overnight once a month.

I "have heard" that you should not use a charger greater than 2 amps on any motorcycle battery, that it will wreck the battery. I do not know if this is true or not, just that i recall years ago hearing it from some reliable source.

I use a Battery Tender model rated at 1.25 amps. Some of the larger automatic battery chargers are rated at 10 or 12 amps.

I ride until they salt the roads.

<<
... This morning there are 6 inches of snow ...
>>
Hey MDT, where the heck are you anyway? Geeze, it's bad enough here in SW Ontario. But 6" snow already!? I hope to ride until early December here.

Last edited by IronMick; 18th October 2006 at 21:40..
Old 19th October 2006
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XL
Sportster/Buell Year: 1982
Mojowill has disabled reputation

why not ride in the winter? no bugs and anytime it's above 35 and the suns out Mojo's gonna put the thermals on and go riding. Obviously if there isnt snow on the road.

but yeah I change fluids at the onset of cold weather too.
Old 19th October 2006
Rider Of The Iron Steed

The problem with riding in Winter in SW Ontario is salt. They spread huge quantities of salt on the roads. Salt == rust.

I ride until they salt the roads. I ride again after there has been enough rain to wash the salt away.
Old 19th October 2006
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1981
GSB_77_XL is a jewel in the roughGSB_77_XL is a jewel in the roughGSB_77_XL is a jewel in the roughGSB_77_XL is a jewel in the roughGSB_77_XL is a jewel in the roughGSB_77_XL is a jewel in the roughGSB_77_XL is a jewel in the roughGSB_77_XL is a jewel in the roughGSB_77_XL is a jewel in the roughGSB_77_XL is a jewel in the roughGSB_77_XL is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMick
The problem with riding in Winter in SW Ontario is salt. They spread huge quantities of salt on the roads. Salt == rust.

I ride until they salt the roads. I ride again after there has been enough rain to wash the salt away.

I know its a little early to be thinking about this, but are you gonna do the New Years Eve ride this year?
Sponsored Links
Old 19th October 2006
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSB_77_XL
I know its a little early to be thinking about this, but are you gonna do the New Years Eve ride this year?
I'll be riding every day that i can. This past New Year i had to shovel my driveway 3 or 4 times during the day to ensure that it would be clear at midnite. A foot of snow on the roads, so at midnite i rode up and down the driveway. I'll do it again if i have to.