The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 mode of failure
Last Post: Diogenes415
Posted On: 25 Minutes Ago
Replies: 25
Views: 1,027
0 This is gonna hurt.
Last Post: The Crusher
Posted On: 32 Minutes Ago
Replies: 7,510
Views: 1,383,405
5 1200 or 883
Last Post: Nibelungen
Posted On: 34 Minutes Ago
Replies: 991
Views: 294,673
0 touchy feely sissy bar emotions poll
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 36 Minutes Ago
Replies: 120
Views: 30,044
0 Keith Black 10:1
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 48 Minutes Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 107
0 hello and help (Mid Pegs Setup)
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 49 Minutes Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 229
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Posted On: 59 Minutes Ago
Replies: 41,612
Views: 6,395,107
0 65 CH barn find/survivor
Last Post: Model H
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 117
Views: 21,726
0 Another afflicted SE A/C setup
Last Post: rejeanprimeau
Replies: 410
Views: 83,285
0 Hello from Northampton, England!
Last Post: Toejam503
Replies: 8
Views: 60
0 New from Pasco, Fl
Replies: 11
Views: 144
0 Crusty's Travels
Replies: 1,597
Views: 164,430
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: Glamazon
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 5,397
Views: 609,465
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Last Post: trainman
Replies: 9,230
Views: 1,382,451
0 S&S Cycle Hooligan 2-2 Exhaust
Last Post: Screw Loose Dan
Replies: 1
Views: 60
5 Stupid points and timing questions.
Last Post: brucstoudt
Replies: 5
Views: 5,966
0 Chrome or Dark Custom
Last Post: RussW
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 16
Views: 1,000
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 8,127
Views: 627,340
0 Official XLForum Poll: What kind of bars are you running?
Last Post: Crash7557
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 644
Views: 138,006
0 Proposed clutch spring improvement0
Last Post: Serious Blac
Replies: 19
Views: 532
0 Spokes or Mags
Last Post: Whylee
Replies: 325
Views: 57,734
0 is a buell a harley
Last Post: Bone
Replies: 144
Views: 11,699
0 Weekend at Jester's
Last Post: wedge
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 37
Views: 4,193
0 2020 H-D response to the Indian FTR1200?
Last Post: Bwf347
Replies: 98
Views: 5,636
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Last Post: wedge
Replies: 2,685
Views: 231,776
0 Small nail in tire?? plug or replace
Last Post: rider61
Replies: 130
Views: 18,966
0 Do you use premium gas in your Sportster?
Last Post: Bone
Replies: 1,692
Views: 319,500
0 New T Shirts
Last Post: Flame__
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 485
0 Gravydog crashed again.
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 59
Views: 1,714
6 Is Your SPORTSTER...
Last Post: rokytnji
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 801
More...
Members Birthdays
moe (74), Playtoe (63), shanneba, Charlie Allen (59), the cowboy way (59), P-Diddly (56), Utahsporty (55), evo-pete (54), stf420 (53), NevadaRob (51), Punisher (49), Razor_Reznor (44), Paycheck (41), jfs92579 (39)
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th April 2018
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Roadster XLS 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1979
sltm1 has much to be proud ofsltm1 has much to be proud ofsltm1 has much to be proud ofsltm1 has much to be proud ofsltm1 has much to be proud ofsltm1 has much to be proud ofsltm1 has much to be proud ofsltm1 has much to be proud ofsltm1 has much to be proud ofsltm1 has much to be proud ofsltm1 has much to be proud of
Default Manifold Leaks Gone !!!!

I had some studder coming off idle after rebuilding the carb and the general consensus was a manifold leak. Changed them, (runs smooth now), they were the O-ring type as opposed to the vacuum cleaner like belts that the manual stated....might be another of those 79 Roadster anomalies. There was no info on the easiest way to do it so I took longer that it should, for any other newbies, here's the easy way.
1. Remove the choke wire, then the air filter, throttle cable, gas and overflow lines from the carb, then the "cow-bell and ignition on the opposite side, zip tie the cowbell and ignition rack off out of the way.
2. Now that you can see them, loosen the nuts holding the carb in place. When removing the last nut, make sure you're holding onto the carb so I doesn't bounce along the concrete. Time for a beer !
3. Using a long"T" handle allen wrench remove the manifold collars one at a time then remove the "Y" connector.
4. Take the o-rings and after putting just a bit of grease on the carb side only on the step where the o-rings will seat on the "Y" fitting, not on the jug side......with grease, less is more. Force them on to the collar step above where they will be seated, now you don't have to fuss with trying to get them both in place to set the collars. Put the "Y" in place and roll the o-rings on to the step provided for them.
Note: The collars on mine have the screw fittings off to one side, make sure that when you put them back on with the wide side of the bronze band next to the jug head.
5. Gently put the collars back on and snug down when both are in place. Time for another beer !
6. Put everything back together in reverse order. A shot of grain alcohol and a beer is in order now !!!
Old 27th April 2018
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
doodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sltm1 View Post
....might be another of those 79 Roadster anomalies.
more likely someone put early style heads on your bike.
Old 27th April 2018
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200s
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1974
bustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond repute

i use fiberglass high temp oven tape on the manifold on top of the o-rings, once heat set, absolutely zero leaks, now it is a bear to go back in, requires a lot of elbow grease to remove tape residue, but hey, did i say, ZERO leaks!~!@
Old 27th April 2018
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: xlx
Sportster/Buell Year: 1983
cazz1000 is a glorious beacon of lightcazz1000 is a glorious beacon of lightcazz1000 is a glorious beacon of lightcazz1000 is a glorious beacon of lightcazz1000 is a glorious beacon of lightcazz1000 is a glorious beacon of lightcazz1000 is a glorious beacon of lightcazz1000 is a glorious beacon of lightcazz1000 is a glorious beacon of lightcazz1000 is a glorious beacon of lightcazz1000 is a glorious beacon of light

use the good aircraft clamps,, I had leakes on my rear cyln every year for 20 yrs,, my original head bolts ,, would not take the torqe no more ,, stupid me ,, change to colony head bolts,,,,,,shank on colony thicker ,, cad plated,,,compared the to the old,, head bolts with a mic,, some of them were 3mm out compared the new ones
Old 27th April 2018
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1964
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH IR EFI
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1971
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW K1200RS
Other Motorcycle Year: 2001
Iron Mike is a splendid one to beholdIron Mike is a splendid one to beholdIron Mike is a splendid one to beholdIron Mike is a splendid one to beholdIron Mike is a splendid one to beholdIron Mike is a splendid one to beholdIron Mike is a splendid one to beholdIron Mike is a splendid one to beholdIron Mike is a splendid one to beholdIron Mike is a splendid one to beholdIron Mike is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazz1000 View Post
use the good aircraft clamps,, I had leakes on my rear cyln every year for 20 yrs,, my original head bolts ,, would not take the torqe no more ,, stupid me ,, change to colony head bolts,,,,,,shank on colony thicker ,, cad plated,,,compared the to the old,, head bolts with a mic,, some of them were 3mm out compared the new ones
what???
Old 27th April 2018
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
needspeed has much to be proud ofneedspeed has much to be proud ofneedspeed has much to be proud ofneedspeed has much to be proud ofneedspeed has much to be proud ofneedspeed has much to be proud ofneedspeed has much to be proud ofneedspeed has much to be proud ofneedspeed has much to be proud ofneedspeed has much to be proud ofneedspeed has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodah man View Post
more likely someone put early style heads on your bike.

(all 79 models had oring heads and oring manis but were fitted with rubber bands from factory).

Per Dr.Dick

http://xlforum.net/forums/showpost.p...98&postcount=6
Old 27th April 2018
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
doodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by needspeed View Post
(all 79 models had oring heads and oring manis but were fitted with rubber bands from factory).

Per Dr.Dick

http://xlforum.net/forums/showpost.p...98&postcount=6
Oh oops, could’ve sworn rubber band heads/manis started 79.
Old 27th April 2018
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Roadster XLS 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1979
sltm1 has much to be proud ofsltm1 has much to be proud ofsltm1 has much to be proud ofsltm1 has much to be proud ofsltm1 has much to be proud ofsltm1 has much to be proud ofsltm1 has much to be proud ofsltm1 has much to be proud ofsltm1 has much to be proud ofsltm1 has much to be proud ofsltm1 has much to be proud of

The collars will not fit over the rubber bands nor will they fit in the channel, they would have to be placed on the pipes above the channel. It'd be like a radiator hose fitment. So it's a split decision between Doodah and Dr.Dick. Like I said, the collars are bronze, does that help to date the manifolds?
Old 27th April 2018
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Year: 1970
gpydeski is just really nicegpydeski is just really nicegpydeski is just really nicegpydeski is just really nicegpydeski is just really nicegpydeski is just really nicegpydeski is just really nicegpydeski is just really nicegpydeski is just really nicegpydeski is just really nicegpydeski is just really nice

I got a great tip about zip tying the manifold to socket extention rod on the primary side of the engine from one jug to the other, parallel to the floor. With the o rings rolled onto the manifold pop them in until they seat. Tighten the zips down and it aint going any where. Then put your clamps on you are good to go.
Sponsored Links
Old 28th April 2018
I have been revived

Sportster/Buell Year: 1961
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Xl 883n
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2010
Other Motorcycle Model: XL CE Tribute
Other Motorcycle Year: 1977
brianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond repute

One of my bikes, I think the 77 had orings and bands on it when I got it. It worked till it didn't....

The aircraft clamp is all I use when replacing them. They tighten and seal much better.