The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 mode of failure
Last Post: Diogenes415
Posted On: 25 Minutes Ago
Replies: 25
Views: 1,027
0 This is gonna hurt.
Last Post: The Crusher
Posted On: 33 Minutes Ago
Replies: 7,510
Views: 1,383,405
5 1200 or 883
Last Post: Nibelungen
Posted On: 34 Minutes Ago
Replies: 991
Views: 294,673
0 touchy feely sissy bar emotions poll
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 36 Minutes Ago
Replies: 120
Views: 30,044
0 Keith Black 10:1
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 48 Minutes Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 107
0 hello and help (Mid Pegs Setup)
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 49 Minutes Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 229
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Posted On: 59 Minutes Ago
Replies: 41,612
Views: 6,395,107
0 65 CH barn find/survivor
Last Post: Model H
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 117
Views: 21,726
0 Another afflicted SE A/C setup
Last Post: rejeanprimeau
Replies: 410
Views: 83,285
0 Hello from Northampton, England!
Last Post: Toejam503
Replies: 8
Views: 60
0 New from Pasco, Fl
Replies: 11
Views: 144
0 Crusty's Travels
Replies: 1,597
Views: 164,430
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: Glamazon
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 5,397
Views: 609,465
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Last Post: trainman
Replies: 9,230
Views: 1,382,451
0 S&S Cycle Hooligan 2-2 Exhaust
Last Post: Screw Loose Dan
Replies: 1
Views: 60
5 Stupid points and timing questions.
Last Post: brucstoudt
Replies: 5
Views: 5,966
0 Chrome or Dark Custom
Last Post: RussW
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 16
Views: 1,000
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 8,127
Views: 627,340
0 Official XLForum Poll: What kind of bars are you running?
Last Post: Crash7557
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 644
Views: 138,006
0 Proposed clutch spring improvement0
Last Post: Serious Blac
Replies: 19
Views: 532
0 Spokes or Mags
Last Post: Whylee
Replies: 325
Views: 57,734
0 is a buell a harley
Last Post: Bone
Replies: 144
Views: 11,699
0 Weekend at Jester's
Last Post: wedge
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 37
Views: 4,193
0 2020 H-D response to the Indian FTR1200?
Last Post: Bwf347
Replies: 98
Views: 5,636
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Last Post: wedge
Replies: 2,685
Views: 231,776
0 Small nail in tire?? plug or replace
Last Post: rider61
Replies: 130
Views: 18,966
0 Do you use premium gas in your Sportster?
Last Post: Bone
Replies: 1,692
Views: 319,500
0 New T Shirts
Last Post: Flame__
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 485
0 Gravydog crashed again.
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 59
Views: 1,714
6 Is Your SPORTSTER...
Last Post: rokytnji
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 801
More...
Members Birthdays
moe (74), Playtoe (63), shanneba, Charlie Allen (59), the cowboy way (59), P-Diddly (56), Utahsporty (55), evo-pete (54), stf420 (53), NevadaRob (51), Punisher (49), Razor_Reznor (44), Paycheck (41), jfs92579 (39)
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th April 2018
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1968
Other Motorcycle Model: T100R
Other Motorcycle Year: 1973
nakina is a jewel in the roughnakina is a jewel in the roughnakina is a jewel in the roughnakina is a jewel in the roughnakina is a jewel in the roughnakina is a jewel in the roughnakina is a jewel in the roughnakina is a jewel in the roughnakina is a jewel in the roughnakina is a jewel in the roughnakina is a jewel in the rough
Default Not measuring any crankshaft endplay

Hi guys,

I'm still plugging away at this '68 XLCH motor, and currently the crankshaft is giving me troubles...

I installed a new set of Timken bearings on the sprocket shaft and pulled it into the left case with the Jim's tool. I assumed this would be a no brainer as the little spacer between the Timken halves sets the endplay, at least in theory (yes, this is a new matched set – tapered rollers, race, and spacer). Anyhow, I have the dial indicator on the end of the sprocket shaft, and a large screwdriver wedged between the table and pinion shaft, but I don't feel or read any movement on the dial when I pry against the pinion shaft. Am I missing something here? The FSM does say to rotate the flywheels and pull up and down on the pinion shaft to measure the endplay. Is this flywheel rotation necessary (along with an extra set of hands)? It seems like the jostling would just make it harder to take a measurement. The only thread I found on the forum describes the static screwdriver method.

I recently had a local shop do a bit of machine work, and asked them to check the crankshaft endplay while they were at it. They claim to have measured .002” (and charged me dearly for it), but I would feel much better if I could repeat that measurement myself, or even just feel a bit of endplay. And if there really is none, does anybody have a part number for a shim?

Any thoughts or tips would be appreciated.

Old 27th April 2018
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
doodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond repute

i was able to do that measurement with the engine upright, and just by pulling/pushing on the sprocket shaft.
Old 27th April 2018
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1964
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH IR EFI
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1971
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW K1200RS
Other Motorcycle Year: 2001
Iron Mike is a splendid one to beholdIron Mike is a splendid one to beholdIron Mike is a splendid one to beholdIron Mike is a splendid one to beholdIron Mike is a splendid one to beholdIron Mike is a splendid one to beholdIron Mike is a splendid one to beholdIron Mike is a splendid one to beholdIron Mike is a splendid one to beholdIron Mike is a splendid one to beholdIron Mike is a splendid one to behold

Screw the sprocket shaft nut on there. Gently use your "screwdriver" to lift the nut with indicator on the shaft. Dont pry against pinion shaft.
Or flip it over and secure the nut in a vice and "lift" the case.
Old 27th April 2018
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200s
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1974
bustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond repute

well to each their own but:
the way i do it is, i set the crank into the other case half and bearing and attach the cases with a couple of fasteners. this way, the crank sits naturally as in running position. this also helps with set up since you do not need to support the crank.
for grins and giggles suppose the crank hanging is placing side loading on the set, wouldn't seem to but there is clearance so it is possible considering the crank is not totally balanced in the position since there are weighted.
Old 27th April 2018
Flat Track Racer

nakina is a jewel in the roughnakina is a jewel in the roughnakina is a jewel in the roughnakina is a jewel in the roughnakina is a jewel in the roughnakina is a jewel in the roughnakina is a jewel in the roughnakina is a jewel in the roughnakina is a jewel in the roughnakina is a jewel in the roughnakina is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I'll see what I can find and report back. Cases are bolted together, btw.
Old 28th April 2018
Flat Track Racer

OK, so I have the nut on the sprocket shaft and I'm still not getting any movement on the dial, even with more than gentle prying. I assume it shouldn't take much to overcome the force of gravity on the flywheels and get a reading of any existing endplay.

Any other suggestions before I take this apart and start playing around with shims?

Old 28th April 2018
I have been revived

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1961
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Xl 883n
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2010
Other Motorcycle Model: XL CE Tribute
Other Motorcycle Year: 1977
brianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Mike View Post
Screw the sprocket shaft nut on there. Gently use your "screwdriver" to lift the nut with indicator on the shaft. Dont pry against pinion shaft.
Or flip it over and secure the nut in a vice and "lift" the case.
reread this, please OP. I think you missed one little point.
Old 28th April 2018
Flat Track Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianbbs67 View Post
reread this, please OP. I think you missed one little point.
I assumed that it wouldn't matter whether the indicator was on the shaft or the nut, if that's what you mean. Point taken, although it doesn't seem to make a difference.

I went back and rewatched the segment in Tatro's '61 CH rebuild video where he installs the assembly and checks the endplay (only by feel, of course). He does mention to rotate the flywheels a few times before checking, as they can "lock up." So, if I rotate them a few times, with the assembly still on its side, and then pry up on the nut, I get .006"~.007" in upward movement. From there it basically stays in its "up" position and further prying just kind of moves it around .001" or so. Then with further rotation it falls back down and can be pried up again .006"~.007"...

Can I conclude that I am good to go with a healthy .006"~.007" endplay? If so, thanks for holding my hand through this...
Old 28th April 2018
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLS roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1985
iNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond repute

nakina , This may sound trivial but please do me a favor and install the sprocket and tighten the nut. Then rotate the crankshaft a few turns before trying to check end-play.
If the new bearing set came with the spacer it should be pre-set to allow for clearance. If it turns smoothly with no binding and minimal resistance it should be good.
I have found ( sometimes when helping others ) that if the inner races aren't seated fully you will get zero clearance when checking but will have a good rotational drag. These engines usually end up perfect after a heat cycle which allows the races to move ever so slightly.

I check mine with an inch lb. torque wrench to check for less than 10 inch lb to rotate the crankshaft.

I hope this helps set your mind at ease.
Old 30th April 2018
Flat Track Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNSaNeSHaNe View Post
nakina , This may sound trivial but please do me a favor and install the sprocket and tighten the nut. Then rotate the crankshaft a few turns before trying to check end-play.
If the new bearing set came with the spacer it should be pre-set to allow for clearance. If it turns smoothly with no binding and minimal resistance it should be good.
I have found ( sometimes when helping others ) that if the inner races aren't seated fully you will get zero clearance when checking but will have a good rotational drag. These engines usually end up perfect after a heat cycle which allows the races to move ever so slightly.

I check mine with an inch lb. torque wrench to check for less than 10 inch lb to rotate the crankshaft.

I hope this helps set your mind at ease.
I pulled the crank out after finding that endplay, but I will definitely do this upon reassembly. I appreciate the input.