The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Active Threads
0 mode of failure
Last Post: Diogenes415
Posted On: 26 Minutes Ago
Replies: 25
Views: 1,027
0 This is gonna hurt.
Last Post: The Crusher
Posted On: 33 Minutes Ago
Replies: 7,510
Views: 1,383,405
5 1200 or 883
Last Post: Nibelungen
Posted On: 35 Minutes Ago
Replies: 991
Views: 294,673
0 touchy feely sissy bar emotions poll
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 37 Minutes Ago
Replies: 120
Views: 30,044
0 Keith Black 10:1
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 49 Minutes Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 107
0 hello and help (Mid Pegs Setup)
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 50 Minutes Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 229
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 41,612
Views: 6,395,107
0 65 CH barn find/survivor
Last Post: Model H
Replies: 117
Views: 21,726
0 Another afflicted SE A/C setup
Last Post: rejeanprimeau
Replies: 410
Views: 83,285
0 Hello from Northampton, England!
Last Post: Toejam503
Replies: 8
Views: 60
0 New from Pasco, Fl
Replies: 11
Views: 144
0 Crusty's Travels
Replies: 1,597
Views: 164,430
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: Glamazon
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 5,397
Views: 609,465
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Last Post: trainman
Replies: 9,230
Views: 1,382,451
0 S&S Cycle Hooligan 2-2 Exhaust
Last Post: Screw Loose Dan
Replies: 1
Views: 60
5 Stupid points and timing questions.
Last Post: brucstoudt
Replies: 5
Views: 5,966
0 Chrome or Dark Custom
Last Post: RussW
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 16
Views: 1,000
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 8,127
Views: 627,340
0 Official XLForum Poll: What kind of bars are you running?
Last Post: Crash7557
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 644
Views: 138,006
0 Proposed clutch spring improvement0
Last Post: Serious Blac
Replies: 19
Views: 532
0 Spokes or Mags
Last Post: Whylee
Replies: 325
Views: 57,734
0 is a buell a harley
Last Post: Bone
Replies: 144
Views: 11,699
0 Weekend at Jester's
Last Post: wedge
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 37
Views: 4,193
0 2020 H-D response to the Indian FTR1200?
Last Post: Bwf347
Replies: 98
Views: 5,636
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Last Post: wedge
Replies: 2,685
Views: 231,776
0 Small nail in tire?? plug or replace
Last Post: rider61
Replies: 130
Views: 18,966
0 Do you use premium gas in your Sportster?
Last Post: Bone
Replies: 1,692
Views: 319,500
0 New T Shirts
Last Post: Flame__
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 485
0 Gravydog crashed again.
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 59
Views: 1,714
6 Is Your SPORTSTER...
Last Post: rokytnji
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 801
More...
Members Birthdays
moe (74), Playtoe (63), shanneba, Charlie Allen (59), the cowboy way (59), P-Diddly (56), Utahsporty (55), evo-pete (54), stf420 (53), NevadaRob (51), Punisher (49), Razor_Reznor (44), Paycheck (41), jfs92579 (39)
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd July 2018
Biker

Multihdrdr has a brilliant futureMultihdrdr has a brilliant futureMultihdrdr has a brilliant futureMultihdrdr has a brilliant futureMultihdrdr has a brilliant futureMultihdrdr has a brilliant futureMultihdrdr has a brilliant futureMultihdrdr has a brilliant futureMultihdrdr has a brilliant futureMultihdrdr has a brilliant futureMultihdrdr has a brilliant future

Dan, I didn't look at all your stuff yet...(and didn't check for overall width spacing for wheel spacer "Re-Use")

But regarding a Rear wheel in general, you don't have the option of choosing which will be the Right or Left...You have two different sized Bolt holes (Pulley and Rotor)

Regarding your Rear wheel, the "Brake" side is the Brake side (Regardless of Sporty or Big Twin) and goes on the LEFT of your Sporty

Typically (but not always) the Shallow side is the "Primary Bearing" (or Brake) side on Harley OE wheels, but different on this BST wheel (Deeper is "Primary").

I was able to pull up the BST Drawing on that wheel and confirmed that the Left "Brake" side is the deeper of the Two.

Install the First bearing on the "Brake" side (3/8"-16 holes) and place on the Left of your Bike

Edit: Btw, regarding Rear wheels again...Hub Centerlines and Rim Centerlines are NOT the Same. They are Offset
Old 2nd July 2018
I am the great Cornholio!

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki GT550
Other Motorcycle Year: 1974
ParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screw Loose Dan View Post
I believe the shallower bearing pocket goes on the left, and that is the first bearing installed. Harley OEM wheels mark that side with score lines through the hub on that side. The right side bearing pocket is deeper, to ensure the bearing doesn't bottom out, but rather rides on the inner spacer. I suspect BST marks the right hub "brake" as it's likely the same hub part used on all their Harley wheels, most of which would be opposite of our Sportsters.
But did you check the bolt holes to see if they match the rotor or the sprocket? I'd think they'd mark the hub that has the correct sized holes

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Click here for the Sportsterpedia! for technical information & advice
Old 23rd July 2018
I think I like Sportsters

Sportster/Buell Model: 883L (sorta) & a 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200CX
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2016
Other Motorcycle Model: XR1200X
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
Screw Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multihdrdr View Post
Dan, I didn't look at all your stuff yet...(and didn't check for overall width spacing for wheel spacer "Re-Use")

But regarding a Rear wheel in general, you don't have the option of choosing which will be the Right or Left...You have two different sized Bolt holes (Pulley and Rotor)

Regarding your Rear wheel, the "Brake" side is the Brake side (Regardless of Sporty or Big Twin) and goes on the LEFT of your Sporty

Typically (but not always) the Shallow side is the "Primary Bearing" (or Brake) side on Harley OE wheels, but different on this BST wheel (Deeper is "Primary").

I was able to pull up the BST Drawing on that wheel and confirmed that the Left "Brake" side is the deeper of the Two.

Install the First bearing on the "Brake" side (3/8"-16 holes) and place on the Left of your Bike

Edit: Btw, regarding Rear wheels again...Hub Centerlines and Rim Centerlines are NOT the Same. They are Offset
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParrotHead View Post
But did you check the bolt holes to see if they match the rotor or the sprocket? I'd think they'd mark the hub that has the correct sized holes
I thought I had replied to Multihdrdr shortly after his post...but apparently not.

You are both clearly correct. This is why I post on an open forum so I can get feedback. Thanks to both of you. I went back and reviewed everything.

Today, I pulled the bearings out of the rear wheel and put them back in, seating the one on the side (clearly) marked "brake". I didn't take many pictures this time, but I mounted up the brake rotor and pulley. When I mounted up the wheel, things appear to centered fairly well.

I used a straight edge to check from the front pulley to rear, seemed liked it was correct. The rotor is slightly off center (to left), but pretty close.

Then I mounted up the frontend with the spacers made by my neighbor. We believe we have it centered the best we can.

I tried taking pictures showing the rotors centered in the brake calipers, but they really don't show much. But, the calipers have an area where the casting comes (relatively) close to the rotor on both sides, we used that when measuring to make sure everything was centered. See green arrows below.

Now it's time to get serious about picking out tires and finding a shop I trust to mount them. Also, I'll disassemble the front end and powder coat the raw aluminium pieces.
2012 - XR1200X (XR)
2016 - 1200CX Roadster (new one)
2007 - 883L/90" -current project - (Black bike)
Old 23rd July 2018
OzChick

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 08
Other Motorcycle Model: Triumph Bobber
Other Motorcycle Year: 2017
sportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond repute

Great to see progress and pleased that the forum has your back Community working as it should; helping each other rather than competing to see who can be the biggest asshole like on so many other online groups

Good luck in deciding on tyres and the fitter Does your neighbour install tyres?
For some reason I also thought you had a black rear belt sprocket on that bike. Obviously from the photos, I was mistaken. Probably one of the others I'm thinking of...
Have fun powdercoating

Work/Life Balance? Just work more at Living!
Nyx: 08 XLN~ 90" Dyno Results; 90" of Street-based FUN coming downunder; My six year refresh adventure
TBob: 2017 Triumph Bobber; Making a Decision on a New Bike
Muse: 1982 Honda CBX Shed Find
Photography: My take on the world
Old 23rd July 2018

Screw Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportytrace View Post
For some reason I also thought you had a black rear belt sprocket on that bike.
Once upon a time... The blacked out wheels that were on this bike (and the black sprocket) are now
on the orange bike. This pulley was just laying around (one of several spares laying about). I'm planning on going chain, so this pulley won't be staying on.
Old 23rd July 2018

ParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you're making progress.

I know of a shop if you don't mind coming down my way ...
Sponsored Links
Old 23rd July 2018
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH 883
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1998
cotton1 has a reputation beyond reputecotton1 has a reputation beyond reputecotton1 has a reputation beyond reputecotton1 has a reputation beyond reputecotton1 has a reputation beyond reputecotton1 has a reputation beyond reputecotton1 has a reputation beyond reputecotton1 has a reputation beyond reputecotton1 has a reputation beyond reputecotton1 has a reputation beyond reputecotton1 has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to see you are getting everything straight Dan. For some reason I just noticed your Cam cover...is that a stock cover or modified? It looks neat to me.

Please find somebody trustworthy to mount tires on those great rims!!

Cotton1
Old 23rd July 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParrotHead View Post
I know of a shop if you don't mind coming down my way ...
Very slow progress, but progress none the less. I'll be *VERY* happy to have the bike rolling again. It has been in the middle of my garage on that lift for a very long time.

Did you confirm with your local shop that they have mounted tires on CF wheels? As long as they have a regular tire mounting setup or something like a No-Mar setup, shouldn't be any different than any other wheel. Just can't use spoons on them...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cotton1 View Post
For some reason I just noticed your Cam cover...is that a stock cover or modified?
It's the stock cam cover cut down. The stock cover is much larger than needed. A number of years ago there used to be a bunch of threads about doing it. I did that a long time ago now, if I were to do it again I would leave the lower left locating pin. I haven't had a problem with alignment/movement, but it's recommended to leave it. Guys have done some decent jobs chopping their covers while still mounted on the bike, but usually it's recommended to pull the rocker covers (relieve pressure on the lifters/cams) and then pull the cover to cut it. It's just aluminium and cuts easy enough, a bit of sanding and polishing and it's good to go.

I plan on painting mine wrinkle black soon, to match the rest of the motor.

Last edited by Screw Loose Dan; 24th July 2018 at 00:19..
Old 24th July 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screw Loose Dan View Post
Very slow progress, but progress none the less. I'll be *VERY* happy to have the bike rolling again. It has been in the middle of my garage on that lift for a very long time.

Did you confirm with your local shop that they have mounted tires on CF wheels? As long as they have a regular tire mounting setup or something like a No-Mar setup, shouldn't be any different than any other wheel. Just can't use spoons on them...
They certainly have a tire machine, I've seen it. I will ask if they have mounted on CF wheels. I'd suggest coming down and checking out the shop and speaking with the owner in person to be comfortable with them. Would you want them to get the tires for you also?