The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Motor / Engine > Sportster Motorcycle - Bottom End
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Sportster Motorcycle - Bottom End Cams, Cases, Gears, Flywheel, Piston Conecting Rods, Oil Pump, etc...

Active Threads
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: ParrotHead
Posted On: 5 Minutes Ago
Replies: 7,987
Views: 1,445,548
0 Sportster Oil Pressure and Dynamics
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 5 Minutes Ago
Replies: 139
Views: 6,972
0 Help identify these parts
Last Post: lewk
Posted On: 15 Minutes Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 129
0 A early 84 motor in a 84 later frame
Last Post: 84bobber
Posted On: 16 Minutes Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 602
0 2002 883 Fuel Valve repair kit
Last Post: grmeyers
Posted On: 22 Minutes Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 1
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 49 Minutes Ago
Replies: 36,843
Views: 4,556,067
0 1981 XLH Getting Recranked
Last Post: Chuckthebeatertruck
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 71
Views: 2,900
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 29,155
Views: 1,699,248
0 Clutch Spring plate poll
Last Post: Bluto
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 319
Views: 82,863
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Last Post: Nibelungen
Replies: 13,100
Views: 3,292,041
0 New Top Fuel record
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 4
Views: 228
0 Q&a
Replies: 1
Views: 58
0 primary chain adjustment
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 29
Views: 1,433
0 Allegheny National Park III
Replies: 192
Views: 18,374
0 How many miles are on your sporty?
Replies: 1,251
Views: 381,326
0 Gas Cap problem?
Replies: 31
Views: 946
0 Something different: 1948 Willys Truck
Replies: 44
Views: 5,176
0 Rubbermount Poll
Last Post: Ireeman
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 263
Views: 92,612
0 New from Brighton UK - XLCR Race bike owner
Last Post: sootysweep
Replies: 39
Views: 3,253
0 Regulator contacts welding shut
Last Post: bustert
Replies: 2
Views: 84
0 Bike issue after swapping handlebar. :(
Last Post: slonez
Replies: 6
Views: 84
0 Clutch biting point
Last Post: IronMick
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 132
0 Pinging and a white plug
Last Post: denguy
Replies: 29
Views: 1,467
0 video & pics
Last Post: cal43
Replies: 1,361
Views: 139,297
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Replies: 5,236
Views: 1,147,540
0 "The Blues" thread!
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,149
Views: 176,924
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Replies: 54,370
Views: 9,246,261
0 This is gonna hurt.
Replies: 9,583
Views: 2,312,551
0 Hi from New Jersey 1985 XLS
Last Post: Tyler45
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 201
0 96 xls front wheel
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 14 Hours Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 139
More...
Members Birthdays
WJB2, Hap (69), XL1200Sport (67), mike/xlch (65), buster (52), sappi (52), Big Daddy Chop (49), Billy1904 (43)

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th January 2022
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Other Motorcycle Model: Road King Custom
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
ZCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeZCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeZCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeZCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeZCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeZCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeZCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeZCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeZCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeZCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeZCarFan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Harper View Post
Since they made ~40,000 Sportsters in 2020, the elimination of the trapdoor saved them $200,000? That seems suspect. For a huge company, that's barely the price of one engineer, or VP.

http://investor.harley-davidson.com/...irol-shipments

That number also seems to include the Street models too. So, even less of a savings most likely.

John
Have to include all XLs from 2004 to present.

There will also be a number of other small cost-cutting actions taken that in aggregate make a sizeable difference to the bottom line. The benefits mostly go uphill in the organization and the lower you go (all the way down to the consumer) the less the benefit, sometimes actually a negative return. For example, eliminating the trapdoor might be one of hundreds of cost-cutting measures that end up as bonuses to management, but cost you a bunch more if the transmission has to be repaired. This is a good example as well since the majority of buyers won't ever need to take the transmission apart and the few that do will likely do so long after the purchase. Any negative feedback such as swearing off the brand in favor of competitors is so far removed from the purchase that it never has an effect on marketing, planning, engineering, etc.
Old 17th January 2022
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1250
Sportster/Buell Year: 1991
John Harper has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Harper has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Harper has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Harper has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Harper has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Harper has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Harper has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Harper has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Harper has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Harper has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Harper has a reputation beyond repute

It's obviously more than a $5 decision. The entire case had to be redesigned, as well the frame, and didn't they also change the cut of the gears at one point? Perhaps the door itself cost the company $5, but much more was involved than just the door.

John
Old 17th January 2022
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Other Motorcycle Model: Road King Custom
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
ZCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeZCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeZCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeZCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeZCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeZCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeZCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeZCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeZCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeZCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeZCarFan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Harper View Post
It's obviously more than a $5 decision. The entire case had to be redesigned, as well the frame, and didn't they also change the cut of the gears at one point? Perhaps the door itself cost the company $5, but much more was involved than just the door.

John
They were already redesigning the frame and cases for the rubber engine mounts.

Anyway, it doesn't matter how much or how little money was invested to make the change, if they projected a net savings of $5 per unit, that's the number.
Old 17th January 2022
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL77.2R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
rejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond repute

Crank failure on newer H-D. Two reason: lugging and engine braking. Don't lug it and downshifting only moderately. Fifth speed at 30 mph and the crank go wide and downshifting the crank go narrow. Without compensating sprocket that what happen. IMO

The moco just add a better nut on the crank thinking it will solve the problem.

Keep the engine at 3750 rpm and no problem. Learn to shift and moderates downshifting and those 2004/2005 will be good.
Old 17th January 2022
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1981
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDC
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
Steve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond repute

Reajean,

You probably right.

I don't lug anything, but I downshift my '81 and '03 pretty aggressively I would hate to have to "baby" these bikes.
And I fixed the back brake on my '03....

moco should have addressed this earlier. It's like ZCarFan said above; probably last until the bike is a bit older so the moco takes a smaller hit.

Public company never wants to have a bad qrtr, lets them do the wrong thing

Just my opinion
'01 Cyclone stock
'13 FXDC 96" stock
Old 18th January 2022
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: 5 bikes and 1 quad
wedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond repute

I have put cranks in two 04's. I have two 05's and no sign of crank failure on either so far. (I'm not kind to either bike. I keep my rev limit at 7,000 and like to get it up there regularly).

On the two I did, it was the front rod bearing that went. The rear on both was still solid. A Buell crank is a good replacement if you can still locate one. I used Buell cranks in both, and I have a spare Buell crank for the inevitable fail of one of mine.

When they went out, both 04's seized the inner cam bushings from the crank debris, that locks them up and the pinion then spins on the crank to save the rest of the engine.

I got involved in the second one after a local mechanic tried putting a second set of new pistons on the bad crank without noticing that the cams were froze and the pinion spun. "Mechanic"?

To determine if the crank is bad with the crank out just hold the front rod in your fist like choking a chicken and then use your other closed fist to hammer on top of the fist holding the rod. You will hear the knock very loudly even if it's slight. With crank still in the cases you do the same by using first fist to pull up on rod as you hammer the top with the other fist, it will show in the same way.

I know a machinist here in California that rebuilds the stock cranks but I like the Buell crank so I have not had him rebuild one yet. He is the best when it comes to cam bushings though.

Dark Horse will build you a great crank, but it will be pricey. If you go that route, its' best to send them the cases and let them do the crank as well as new case bearings at the same time.

Whitworth Fork Brace: http://xlforum.net/forums/m...outme&simple=1
Old 18th January 2022
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1972
Other Motorcycle Model: homebilt fxr
Other Motorcycle Year: 80+
rocketnorton has a brilliant futurerocketnorton has a brilliant futurerocketnorton has a brilliant futurerocketnorton has a brilliant futurerocketnorton has a brilliant futurerocketnorton has a brilliant futurerocketnorton has a brilliant futurerocketnorton has a brilliant futurerocketnorton has a brilliant futurerocketnorton has a brilliant futurerocketnorton has a brilliant future

like the knock test
never heard of it b4
Old 18th January 2022
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 CX
Sportster/Buell Year: 2016
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1978
Other Motorcycle Model: XL 1200 Cussed'em
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
Crusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond repute

If the rod moves around like a joystick and also makes a loud knock when you hit your hand holding it, that's another indication, I think.
Old 20th January 2022
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200X Turbo 48
Sportster/Buell Year: 2011
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200 Roadster
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2008
Turbo Sporty 48 has disabled reputation

Ordered a XR crank from New Castle, they sent the crank to Darkhorse for a crank pin weld and a true check.
No complaints here.