The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up) For 2007 and above Sportsters

Active Threads
0 Riding pants repair?
Last Post: NLXL
Posted On: 1 Minute Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 13
0 73 XLH For Sale, what's it worth
Last Post: RoadsterMike
Posted On: 4 Minutes Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 1
0 Howdy From Texas
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 7 Minutes Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 10
0 p1352 error code
Last Post: BKB
Posted On: 30 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 35
0 Starter wouldn't shut off
Last Post: sleighcrane
Posted On: 35 Minutes Ago
Views: 20
0 1968 xlch
Last Post: kitabel
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 32
Views: 2,775
0 AFT Returns to Indy Mile During Indianapolis 500 Weekend
Last Post: Crusty
Views: 74
0 Boring intro
Last Post: Calcustom
Replies: 9
Views: 132
0 magneto twin plug heads
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 46
Views: 7,601
0 Chinese S&S carbs
Replies: 112
Views: 7,365
0 05 carb rebuild no start
Last Post: XLtimes
Replies: 13
Views: 403
0 Down on oil
Last Post: Hippysmack
Replies: 35
Views: 692
0 WANTED OEM HD BOBTAIL FENDER FOR 2001 Sportster
Views: 216
0 THE Hockey Thread
Replies: 4,054
Views: 278,804
0 Is the Sturgis Rally too risky?
Last Post: Whitewalls
Replies: 26
Views: 327
0 H4 LED Conversion - write up with photos
Last Post: spoon
Replies: 11
Views: 247
0 Hagerty Insurance
Last Post: Pigskinner
Replies: 8
Views: 352
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 20,834
Views: 2,139,132
0 Fuel Sputter & Much More
Last Post: AntsBAC
Replies: 4
Views: 76
0 This week on Craig's list
Replies: 4,755
Views: 634,875
0 Nothing to See/Hear
Last Post: wedge
Replies: 5
Views: 121
0 Round Air Cleaner Poll
Last Post: Joe_jeep
Replies: 348
Views: 74,903
0 This is gonna hurt.
Last Post: wedge
Replies: 8,131
Views: 1,726,436
0 Chain drive conversion for 100+ horsepower??
Last Post: frank b
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Views: 82
0 Clutch release mechanism
Last Post: forqueue
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Views: 101
0 Oil leaking
Last Post: brucstoudt
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 97
0 Just installed 70900274 combo gauge - fuel light stuck on
Last Post: Virto
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 21
Views: 349
0 "The Blues" thread!
Last Post: Maxeffort
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 957
Views: 95,154
0 Compression tool for working on springer front ends?
Last Post: FiftySixer
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Views: 174
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 17,880
Views: 1,045,634
More...
Members Birthdays
duckster (70), 1ST_SPORTY (67), stein (58), tanksgt (51), tompie (47), eness76 (44), watsone020 (42), bohagon (32)

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Iron
Sportster/Buell Year: 2017
Cj_ has a reputation beyond reputeCj_ has a reputation beyond reputeCj_ has a reputation beyond reputeCj_ has a reputation beyond reputeCj_ has a reputation beyond reputeCj_ has a reputation beyond reputeCj_ has a reputation beyond reputeCj_ has a reputation beyond reputeCj_ has a reputation beyond reputeCj_ has a reputation beyond reputeCj_ has a reputation beyond repute

Fab work is now all done. I've been working away a bit so progress has slowed down but the flange for the BOV rocked up quicker than expected. Welded that on and the intake is done.

Test fitting everything. I think the BOV ties in very nicely looks wise. It is slightly in the way of the right leg though but I like the location.

So I painted the intake a flat black. Next pic show the fitting for the boost gauge line.

Wrapping of the dump pipe and install of the wideband sensor.

The Oil line I originally ordered finally rocked up. Funnily enough it rocked up the same day as the last fitting for my braided line (I had ordered the wrong one). End up using the Nylon line because it had more flex and was black.

Pic of the 1/8 NPT tee I ran off the pressure switch.

Then finally bolted it all together. Brother got me a headlight fairing for my Bday with I think looks great. Will also hide the wideband gauge which will work well

So I went to start it and the battery was dead. I had run it flat priming the oil feed line. Managed to get it run after a quick bit of charge. It is loud, to loud. Only ran if for 2 minutes and shut it down coz it was late. I'll have to make up a baffle for the dump pipe.

I then worked out that I need to take the intake off to change the MAP sensor and injectors, plus tap a barb for the boost gauge. So now she sits like this.

I should have it back together for the weekend. Its close!
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster iron 883>1275
Sportster/Buell Year: 2016
Ghostdog is a name known to allGhostdog is a name known to allGhostdog is a name known to allGhostdog is a name known to allGhostdog is a name known to allGhostdog is a name known to allGhostdog is a name known to allGhostdog is a name known to allGhostdog is a name known to allGhostdog is a name known to allGhostdog is a name known to all

Dam this Iron is looking nasty brother !!! Very very cool being able to see you do all this stuff .congrats on a fine job . It’s gonna be fun .
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Biker

Cj_ has a reputation beyond reputeCj_ has a reputation beyond reputeCj_ has a reputation beyond reputeCj_ has a reputation beyond reputeCj_ has a reputation beyond reputeCj_ has a reputation beyond reputeCj_ has a reputation beyond reputeCj_ has a reputation beyond reputeCj_ has a reputation beyond reputeCj_ has a reputation beyond reputeCj_ has a reputation beyond repute

She runs! Finally got her button up and running. Currently tuned pretty rich while I work through the VE tables but shes gonna be fun.

Changed the injectors to 5.3g/s yellow tails. Dropped straight in with no issues. Also changed the MAP sensor to a 2.5 bar which also was a direct fit. Was pretty happy with this considering I eye balled the plug and wiring. MAP sensor is from a Ford XR6 Turbo - Bosch part number: 0 261 230 098 / 0 281 002 514

Couple of pictures:

Install of the injectors.

Had to also tap a barb for the BOV vac line. The spring that came in the BOV was way to soft. BOV was opening it under vac. Came with another spring so swapped that over.

Video of it running. Ended up also making a baffle out of an off cut piece of the 1 3/4 tubing from the header. Drilled a bunch of holes and welded it to a modified piece of the 2.5" to slide inside. Wrapped it with a bit of steel wool as well.
Video of it running here
https://youtu.be/b5nHOWOJVhc

Boost gauge bounces a fair bit, end up pinching the gauge line to try slow it down a bit. Looks like the stock spring runs around the 6ish psi. Ordered a manual boost controller to run it a bit higher.

Besides that I'm just working on the tune. Scaled the ignition table to compensate for the 2.5 bar MAP sensor. Currently have the target fuel set for 12.5 whilst I tune the VE table. Once thats sorted I'll lean out the lower end by scaling it as well. Its a slow process, make adjustment, go for a ride and watch the gauges, adjust and repeat. Ordered some parts to see if I can make my own data logger with an Arduino and Canbus board to combine with the wideband. Should be an interesting project itself.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xls 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1980
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xls 1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1983
Other Motorcycle Model: 1200 Chopper XL
Other Motorcycle Year: 1990
rokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond repute

Idle looks clean and smooth. Nice.

I'm not outa place. I'm from outer space.

Traveled to
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Greasemonkey

Ghostdog is a name known to allGhostdog is a name known to allGhostdog is a name known to allGhostdog is a name known to allGhostdog is a name known to allGhostdog is a name known to allGhostdog is a name known to allGhostdog is a name known to allGhostdog is a name known to allGhostdog is a name known to allGhostdog is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cj_ View Post
She runs! Finally got her button up and running. Currently tuned pretty rich while I work through the VE tables but shes gonna be fun.

Changed the injectors to 5.3g/s yellow tails. Dropped straight in with no issues. Also changed the MAP sensor to a 2.5 bar which also was a direct fit. Was pretty happy with this considering I eye balled the plug and wiring. MAP sensor is from a Ford XR6 Turbo - Bosch part number: 0 261 230 098 / 0 281 002 514

Couple of pictures:

Install of the injectors.

Had to also tap a barb for the BOV vac line. The spring that came in the BOV was way to soft. BOV was opening it under vac. Came with another spring so swapped that over.

Video of it running. Ended up also making a baffle out of an off cut piece of the 1 3/4 tubing from the header. Drilled a bunch of holes and welded it to a modified piece of the 2.5" to slide inside. Wrapped it with a bit of steel wool as well.
Video of it running here
https://youtu.be/b5nHOWOJVhc

Boost gauge bounces a fair bit, end up pinching the gauge line to try slow it down a bit. Looks like the stock spring runs around the 6ish psi. Ordered a manual boost controller to run it a bit higher.

Besides that I'm just working on the tune. Scaled the ignition table to compensate for the 2.5 bar MAP sensor. Currently have the target fuel set for 12.5 whilst I tune the VE table. Once thats sorted I'll lean out the lower end by scaling it as well. Its a slow process, make adjustment, go for a ride and watch the gauges, adjust and repeat. Ordered some parts to see if I can make my own data logger with an Arduino and Canbus board to combine with the wideband. Should be an interesting project itself.
Hey CJ I just watched your video on YouTube and man let me tell you how impressed I am that you can do something like this out of your head for the most part and make it all work!!! I’m just blown away at the talent and intelligence that some people Posses ! Congratulations on getting her running my friend. Bike looks and sounds amazing 😉 I love it bro. Xlforum is such a great place because so many people have a crazy amount of talent and mechanical ability. Awsome mechanics and artists and builders here . I’m so greatfull that everyone here works together to help people like me . So happy for you man Great job on your turbo build !
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Nightster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
SportyHD has much to be proud ofSportyHD has much to be proud ofSportyHD has much to be proud ofSportyHD has much to be proud ofSportyHD has much to be proud ofSportyHD has much to be proud ofSportyHD has much to be proud ofSportyHD has much to be proud ofSportyHD has much to be proud ofSportyHD has much to be proud ofSportyHD has much to be proud of

Sounds great!!!
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdog View Post
Hey CJ I just watched your video on YouTube and man let me tell you how impressed I am that you can do something like this out of your head for the most part and make it all work!!! I’m just blown away at the talent and intelligence that some people Posses ! Congratulations on getting her running my friend. Bike looks and sounds amazing I love it bro. Xlforum is such a great place because so many people have a crazy amount of talent and mechanical ability. Awsome mechanics and artists and builders here . I’m so greatfull that everyone here works together to help people like me . So happy for you man Great job on your turbo build !
Thanks mate, its been awesome fun to be honest. I spent a fair bit of time planning before I pulled the trigger an anything. Few things I would do different but happy with the current result. Most of the stuff I have done is based on snippets of ideas I've found around the place with plenty of those from this forum.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Greasemonkey

A job well done for sure !
Old 1 Week Ago
Biker

So spent the last few weekends working on the tune ant have the bike in a decent ride-able state.

I managed to get a MAP form someone on the site that used to have a hellcat kit on a 1200. Gave me a ruff starting point and an idea of what max values I should be targeting. This tune used the stock MAP sensor so really only helped on accel and decel values and temp scaling, max timing etc.

For those interested the following was my approach to tuning. Obviously if any of you try this it is at your own risk.

1. Set the target AFR to 12.5 across all ranges. Using the Wideband I could then safely tune the VE tables.

2. Scaled the Spark advance tables to compensate for the larger MAP sensor. Essentially the larger sensor now means 100 kpa in the table would be the equivalent to seeing 250 kpa. This meant I compressed my original map columns into the first half of the table. For the remaining columns I pulled 1 degree of advance from the relevant rpm max for each psi of boost. An excel spreadsheet helped with that one. The stock sensor is also 1.18 bar so i was a little tricky to calculate scaling.

3. Updated the VE table. Pretty much had a guess when boost would start building and started adding in fuel. Then I would take the bike for a ride and watch the wideband, rpm and throttle position to note the areas not hitting the 12.5 target. Make some adjustments, rinse and repeat. This took a bit of work. Obviously I have only one wideband so I would make changes to both tables at the same time. This area would save alot of time it I had a wideband data logger. I've ordered some parts to make this so will see how I go. Generally I have always run pretty rich across the range and have slowly leaned it out.

3. Once I felt the VE table was in the ball park I changed the AFR table for the off boost areas to 14.3. This put those areas back in closed loop mode and meant I could use the SESTP data logger and smart tune to help with the bottom to mid areas. I haven't changed to injector size from original so I'm not sure if the recommend smart tune values are exact so for now have be scaling them based on the injector size difference. Generally it is leaning out so happy to take it in baby steps.

So i've sent a bit of time on the bike now. Its definitely going to be a bit of fun, just waiting on a boost controller tee to run a bit more boost. Stock spring is 6psi, but I'd like to double that. Got a bit cheeky and blocked the line to the wastegate and it certainly hammers with a bit more boost.

Mechanical wise the only issue I have had is with the BOV. The spring in it is too soft and the second spring it came with is to stiff and only lets off at high boost. I shimmed the soft spring with some washers but it still opens under vacuum/idle until it builds boost. Need to get a slightly stiffer spring.

So for now just gonna try throw more boost into it, log and keep tuning her. Gotta throw a new battery into her also as the current one won't cold start it. Been using a jumper pack as a backup when send new tunes and downloading data logs so haven't got one yet.

Last edited by Cj_; 1 Week Ago at 12:14.. Reason: spelling
Old 1 Week Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Cyclone
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2001
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDC
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
Steve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond repute

First-rate fabrication. Great build!