The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > GENERAL AREA > Motorcycle Camping
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Motorcycle Camping When, What, and When

Active Threads
0 The Dealer Is So Out of Touch - Shitty Experience
Last Post: Bob F
Posted On: 2 Minutes Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 402
0 Hello
Last Post: Bob F
Posted On: 5 Minutes Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 29
6 Violin Bows
Last Post: rejeanprimeau
Posted On: 19 Minutes Ago
Replies: 18
Views: 448
0 Very nice sportster tank 94-2003
Last Post: Pender1
Posted On: 36 Minutes Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 470
0 New WTF Happened
Last Post: Iron Mike
Posted On: 42 Minutes Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 416
0 grinding noise.
Last Post: DYLAN
Posted On: 48 Minutes Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 151
0 Electronic Ignition - getting to maximum timing advance 45° BTDC ?
Last Post: chevelle
Posted On: 56 Minutes Ago
Replies: 18
Views: 871
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: SonWon
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 2,150
Views: 260,870
0 Yet another issue with this build
Last Post: 60Gunner
Replies: 12
Views: 247
0 New Lithium Battery, Lights Go Out
Last Post: seajay
Replies: 16
Views: 351
2 Humble pie
Last Post: madnss
Replies: 45
Views: 3,042
0 2018 Custom seat fitment
Last Post: NGOT8R
Replies: 3
Views: 121
0 Anyone go racing last weekend?
Last Post: madnss
Replies: 2,991
Views: 286,525
0 Engine swap 5 for 4 speed.
Last Post: Andyxlh
Replies: 5
Views: 765
14 Firearms you wish you owned.
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 607
Views: 133,727
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Replies: 43,758
Views: 6,845,300
0 Dynojet Power Vision 2
Last Post: shanneba
Replies: 218
Views: 25,669
0 What Sort Of Sporty Have You Got?
Last Post: clark1124
Replies: 1,080
Views: 300,550
0 Falling out of 1st
Last Post: joes95bobber
Replies: 1
Views: 23
0 Was your 1st bike a Sportster?
Last Post: Lincoln
Replies: 1,004
Views: 225,622
0 2019 East Coast Meet and Greet
Last Post: sprink
Replies: 252
Views: 28,902
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 11,210
Views: 1,000,893
0 2002 lightning rocker box
Last Post: Stickr
Replies: 0
Views: 14
0 Exhaust ground clearance
Last Post: Truckedup
Replies: 9
Views: 223
0 4 months in, still trying to figure this site out 😂
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 16
Views: 342
0 06'' sportster xl883 ''bobber brat''
Last Post: Bow only
Replies: 11
Views: 271
0 Child Car Seats
Last Post: markuss
Replies: 0
Views: 24
0 Iree's late night cafe
Last Post: Ireeman
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,213
Views: 148,331
0 MPG HONESTLY, what do you get?
Last Post: jzink0883
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 569
Views: 72,132
14 1974 Ironhead sportster xlch
Last Post: Ltdr13
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 45
Views: 11,272
More...
Members Birthdays
Nytstr (71), mccudden2 (54), willy (50), NHMike, xl1200boost (39)
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1 Week Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
skypeace is a splendid one to beholdskypeace is a splendid one to beholdskypeace is a splendid one to beholdskypeace is a splendid one to beholdskypeace is a splendid one to beholdskypeace is a splendid one to beholdskypeace is a splendid one to beholdskypeace is a splendid one to beholdskypeace is a splendid one to beholdskypeace is a splendid one to beholdskypeace is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustert View Post
ole ZZ TOP song
"like to get back my old blue jeans, i know they are mine from the smell of oil and gasoline"
all that harley mojo is death to those nasty motel germs! lol
with the right trailer, do not think you can lose that much spunk. try lugging around a side car. a easy temp fix would be a small gear reduction but i do not think that would be necessary.
i run autobahn gearing and johnson engineering sportgear which gives me a 500 rpm drop in 5th and the engine will just laugh at it, trust me, you got the power.
never did really long runs on the evo but the ironhead has been on many. used to sling aluminum boy scout canteens across the bars for gasoline, fuel on the fly.
I would do a trailer with a trike, but on two I rather keep it free. I like the aluminum canteen idea, that could get the fuel out of my saddlebag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley506d View Post
Always thought you were supposed to disconnect the battery before using a welder, anyway it's job done now!, and give a thought to your pointy grips, there's a reason they went to ball ended levers!
Nice well set-up bike, love the paint job!
We don't need to disconnect no stinkin' battery!
I just keep extra main fuses with the bike, as the battery box is zip tied up to keep that dang pan from falling off, so I go to the battery as little as possible. I like the the pointy ends because they kind of say, "Stay Back!" I thought about them being an issue with going down, but then just thought I'd be screwed anyway so go for the look. Gone down a couple of times, dropped the bike more than fingers on one hand....Saddle bags and engine guards work well to keep the bike to minimal damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsterpaul View Post
Well, I was going to suggest theNational Parks Pass, which I used on last August C.O.B.B. run with “skien” and his lovely wife Mary. My access was free at Badlands, Tetons, Yellowstone, Arches and a half dozen more. We covered 15 States in three weeks mostly camping. I think my mileage was a bit over 7,100 miles from Michigan to the Pacific and back. If you run through small towns often you can camp at local churches and service clubs, i.e. V.F.W., F.O.E. Etc. Some towns will allow an overnight in the town square. Don’t think trailers are necessary been tenting for over twenty years. “Nomad” or “stealth” camping is also an option and very inexpensive. I run my three bag set up with all camping gear, food and spare parts in a “Wolfman” Beta bag with my sleeping bag and pad in a separate waterproof “Aerostich” side zip,(room for a pair of sandles in there as well), and a medium size “Wolfman” Explorer rolltop duffle with my clothes in it. Don’t have to strip the bike down every night only take off what I will need. Also run Elite III’s but have gotten 18,000 & 19,000 off the last two sets, front and rear. Hope this is of some help, enjoy your trip.
Yes the Park Pass is an ultimate gift to us Seniors....don't do much stealth camping, being big and brown I have found can be intimidating enough for some people without me emerging from the darkness, lol.

I would rather just sleep out in the open on a picnic table were I can be seen and thus not feared. Yes the American Elites are a great tire, I just replace a little early as I like the feel of new rubber under me. I have a hard time finding the III version that would fit my sporty. I have ridden many miles in torrential rain storms with them and thus have ultimate confidence in them. Won't even consider anything else at this point. I have a large Wolfman type roll up duffel that I may use this year....this is what the bike has looked like while getting it...

04 XL1200C
Chaplain, Wandering Evangelists Chapter of CMA
Old 1 Week Ago
Asgardian

Sportster/Buell Model: 883r
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: Chris Craft 32
Other Motorcycle Year: abov
Ireeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond repute

Get a small portable solar charger...devices don't charge themselves eh.
Old 1 Week Ago
Asgardian

Sportster/Buell Model: 883r
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: Chris Craft 32
Other Motorcycle Year: abov
Ireeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond repute

And while i say small..i mean like a Gigawatt or go home.
Old 1 Week Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1460C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: XL1200R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
sportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond repute

“Sprink” gave me a SAE to USB adapter, plugged into my Battery tender ran my charge cord into the tankbag and charged my I-pad and then phone while running, shhh, don’t tell anyone that this old dinosaur entered the 21st century!
I.B.A.#26543, Growing old-Mandatory/ Growing up-optional. Men do not quit playing because they get old, they get old because they stop playing!

The XL Forum Sportsterpedia:
http://sportsterpedia.com/doku.php/starthttp://xlforum.net/forums/images/editor/quote.gif
Old 6 Days Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
skypeace is a splendid one to beholdskypeace is a splendid one to beholdskypeace is a splendid one to beholdskypeace is a splendid one to beholdskypeace is a splendid one to beholdskypeace is a splendid one to beholdskypeace is a splendid one to beholdskypeace is a splendid one to beholdskypeace is a splendid one to beholdskypeace is a splendid one to beholdskypeace is a splendid one to behold

So far wired pretty good with four SAE connectors coming out at the seat by the battery lid cover, a heavy duty chrome cigarette lighter on the handle bars with USB terminals plugged in and another cigarette lighter plug just forward and under the gas tank as an auxiliary connection.

When camping the SAE connectors recharge phones and gps. I now have a rechargeable battery pack that will also jump start cars and trucks. It will recharge laptops and tablets also. My power situation on the bike is good. When I get a chance I will snap some images to give a better illustration. The sporty can be a good source of power when camping. I usually keep a plug in air pump to blow up my air mattress.

Solar might be a thought as an additional back up.