The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE & BUELL MOTORCYCLE FORUM - GENERAL DISCUSSION > Riding Tips & Safety Advice
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Riding Tips & Safety Advice Got a question about your riding technique or safety issues?

Active Threads
0 This week on Craig's list
Last Post: brucstoudt
Posted On: 1 Minute Ago
Replies: 3,749
Views: 414,893
0 compression problems
Last Post: slcharger
Posted On: 1 Minute Ago
Replies: 25
Views: 391
0 Finding a new doctor...
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 5 Minutes Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 77
0 Arbor press for crankshaft
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 9 Minutes Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 157
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 15 Minutes Ago
Replies: 42,785
Views: 6,681,385
0 Rubbermount shocks on a rigid mount?
Last Post: shanneba
Posted On: 16 Minutes Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 40
0 I think I may be a gas tank hoarder...
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 19 Minutes Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 346
0 KT - 2019 - Done Riding - Not Hardly
Posted On: 23 Minutes Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 2,691
0 forward controls vs. "normal" / trades?
Last Post: racemoto
Posted On: 25 Minutes Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 1
10 What's your Personal Tech
Last Post: Toejam503
Posted On: 26 Minutes Ago
Replies: 34
Views: 845
0 ultima iggy,, static time vs dynamic time
Last Post: brucstoudt
Posted On: 28 Minutes Ago
Replies: 34
Views: 1,406
5 What's Your Temp Today
Posted On: 52 Minutes Ago
Replies: 28
Views: 1,921
0 Seized Oil Pump
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 17
Views: 333
0 Hello from Seattle
Last Post: racemoto
Replies: 12
Views: 197
0 Stock Straight Rate Fork Spring Weight on Rubbermount 1200C
Last Post: 60Gunner
Views: 12
0 my build in my apartment
Replies: 3
Views: 118
0 Rocker Lockers - Quiet Down Annoying Top End Ticking
Last Post: DK Custom
Replies: 61
Views: 14,513
0 what brand of spark plug do you use?
Replies: 305
Views: 70,074
0 ****DK Custom Is Now Offering Jagg Oil Coolers****
Replies: 16
Views: 4,337
0 ***DK Custom-Blacked-Out Highway Peg Mounting Kit - Hinged Clamp & Clevis***
Views: 555
0 ***DK Custom Products Introduces the Trap Style Foot Pegs***
Replies: 10
Views: 2,330
0 Hello from San Clemente, California USA
Replies: 8
Views: 78
0 Frankenstein trike kit on a sportster
Last Post: doc martin
Views: 24
0 Fuel Pump Problems
Last Post: hammer6315
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 255
Views: 141,111
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,206
Views: 100,953
0 F/S: HD Solo Seat and Pillion '86-'03 $130 OBO
Last Post: John Harper
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Views: 31
0 Lets see your off season builds
Last Post: cycowrencher
Replies: 1,232
Views: 151,155
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 9,905
Views: 865,265
0 ***DK Custom-LIMITED TIME Sweetheart Deals-Save 10% On Select Products***
Views: 240
More...
Members Birthdays
beertp (64), Jcolleyoh (64)
View Poll Results: Do you where a high visibility vest/clothing
Yes, almost all the time 64 25.70%
Yes, sometimes 55 22.09%
No, because the way it looks 54 21.69%
No, because of some other reason 76 30.52%
Voters: 249. You may not vote on this poll

Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th November 2018
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
SLW210 has much to be proud ofSLW210 has much to be proud ofSLW210 has much to be proud ofSLW210 has much to be proud ofSLW210 has much to be proud ofSLW210 has much to be proud ofSLW210 has much to be proud ofSLW210 has much to be proud ofSLW210 has much to be proud ofSLW210 has much to be proud ofSLW210 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParrotHead View Post
The problem is so many are heads down looking at their phones or whatever.
True, but it still doesn't make hi visibility clothing any less effective.

I passed a Prius yesterday weaving in the road poking along in the left lane, guy talking on his phone AND we passed a State Trooper on the median strip, the Trooper did nothing, probably was asleep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_in_az View Post
The statistics are probably on the WWW somewhere, but until someone can show me that black, brown, grey, and blue cars and trucks are struck more often than red, orange, yellow and lime colored ones, then I'm going to continue wearing the same drab brown, blue and black I always have.

And I'll continue trying to avoid other vehicles, assuming I'm only visible to laser or radar.
Yes, plenty of stats, white (~10% less likely), yellow and gold are in the least accidents and black is the most at ~50% more likely to be in an accident, followed by dark blue, silver and gray cars, red is also high on the list, it's a dark color. You also have to consider the amount of cars that are the most popular colors as well, white is the most popular but least likely and black is the second most color and the highest by far.

https://directautoinsurance.org/car-...-surprise-you/

But, yes never count on color to keep you safe. These days I have to drive my Suburban like it's invisible. Just, too many distracted drivers, but that doesn't mean Hi-viz doesn't help improve your odds.
Old 29th November 2018
I am the great Cornholio!

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki GT550
Other Motorcycle Year: 1974
ParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLW210 View Post
I agree 100% and that is why I bought a Hi Viz jacket, I was simply saying it's effective as long as the person has their eyes outside of the car.

Check out my Blog for my trip reports:

Click here to listen to my interview on the Motorcycle Men Podcast

Click here for the Sportsterpedia! for technical information & advice
Old 29th November 2018
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Nightster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
ed_in_az has a reputation beyond reputeed_in_az has a reputation beyond reputeed_in_az has a reputation beyond reputeed_in_az has a reputation beyond reputeed_in_az has a reputation beyond reputeed_in_az has a reputation beyond reputeed_in_az has a reputation beyond reputeed_in_az has a reputation beyond reputeed_in_az has a reputation beyond reputeed_in_az has a reputation beyond reputeed_in_az has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLW210 View Post

I passed a Prius yesterday weaving in the road poking along in the left lane, guy talking on his phone AND we passed a State Trooper on the median strip, the Trooper did nothing, probably was asleep.

Yes, plenty of stats, white (~10% less likely), yellow and gold are in the least accidents and black is the most at ~50% more likely to be in an accident, followed by dark blue, silver and gray cars, red is also high on the list, it's a dark color. You also have to consider the amount of cars that are the most popular colors as well, white is the most popular but least likely and black is the second most color and the highest by far.

https://directautoinsurance.org/car-...-surprise-you/

But, yes never count on color to keep you safe. These days I have to drive my Suburban like it's invisible. Just, too many distracted drivers, but that doesn't mean Hi-viz doesn't help improve your odds.

Good catch.

I went ahead and checked too. One site listed lime as the best color for cars also noting it was the least liked.

Recently I've noticed more pedestrians wearing some form of high visibility neon clothing. That will probably offer them additional protection from being run over as they text and walk oblivious to everything else.

A few years back I read online about a company that was producing flame thrower attachments to mount under car doors as self defense / anti-theft devices. At the time it was said to be legal in some areas. That's certainly a proactive approach.

I've watched a driver turn left in front of me and while looking directly at me (my headlight was on) and proceed to stop in front of me rather than completing her turn, which totaled my bike. If she could fixate on my drab colors and headlight, a neon me would have been an even better target.

Occasionally in the summer I'll wear a white T shirt (and lots of sunscreen) while riding. It's good to know that's well up there on the high Viz list.

I'd rather not paint a bright target on myself. So for now I'll stick with my current routine, staying alert, using stealth, maneuverability, and speed (same as the F22 Raptor) to avoid cages. They can't hit what they can't see. The USAF depends on it.
Old 29th November 2018
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLS roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1985
iNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond repute

All of the stats I have read regarding "" motorcycle and rider "" color basically say that color isn't as important as reflection but they also say Hi-Viz green can be seen easier than any other color and has reflective properties.

My thought is simply most cagers are in cages and more than likely not paying attention so we are invisible no matter what we wear or how loud the pipes are.
I ride every day to and from work and everywhere in between. I wore a safety vest over my jacket for years and it made no difference. People just don't pay attention, the best defense is a good offense they say so do we start hitting cars NO we just become hyper aware and stay alive to ride.
Old 29th November 2018
I am the great Cornholio!

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki GT550
Other Motorcycle Year: 1974
ParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNSaNeSHaNe View Post
All of the stats I have read regarding "" motorcycle and rider "" color basically say that color isn't as important as reflection but they also say Hi-Viz green can be seen easier than any other color and has reflective properties.

My thought is simply most cagers are in cages and more than likely not paying attention so we are invisible no matter what we wear or how loud the pipes are.
I ride every day to and from work and everywhere in between. I wore a safety vest over my jacket for years and it made no difference. People just don't pay attention, the best defense is a good offense they say so do we start hitting cars NO we just become hyper aware and stay alive to ride.
But we only know about the close ones, we don't know about the ones that were avoided because that flash of yellow caught their attention
Old 30th November 2018
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda Magna
Other Motorcycle Year: 1985
rjg883c has a brilliant futurerjg883c has a brilliant futurerjg883c has a brilliant futurerjg883c has a brilliant futurerjg883c has a brilliant futurerjg883c has a brilliant futurerjg883c has a brilliant futurerjg883c has a brilliant futurerjg883c has a brilliant futurerjg883c has a brilliant futurerjg883c has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParrotHead View Post
But we only know about the close ones, we don't know about the ones that were avoided because that flash of yellow caught their attention
That is true about all safety measures, i.e. bright colors, lane position, helmets, horns, etc.. When they are effectively used nothing usually happens to draw attention to any possible unwanted incidents their use may have prevented.
Old 30th November 2018
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki DL650ADV
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
Kbetts has a reputation beyond reputeKbetts has a reputation beyond reputeKbetts has a reputation beyond reputeKbetts has a reputation beyond reputeKbetts has a reputation beyond reputeKbetts has a reputation beyond reputeKbetts has a reputation beyond reputeKbetts has a reputation beyond reputeKbetts has a reputation beyond reputeKbetts has a reputation beyond reputeKbetts has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Viz motorcycle gear has not been around that long. Reflective stuff has, but not Hi Viz. I think the military started making their soldier/riders wear it around 2007 and a special vest was designed for them. I think it was an orange and black mesh vest. Since then there has been much greater availability and rider acceptance......kind of.
Old 1st December 2018
Asgardian

Sportster/Buell Model: 883r
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: Watkins 27
Other Motorcycle Year: abov
Ireeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond repute

Now only when i hold my breath...but i smoke, so it doesn't last long.
Old 2nd December 2018
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Bama Lee XLC has a reputation beyond reputeBama Lee XLC has a reputation beyond reputeBama Lee XLC has a reputation beyond reputeBama Lee XLC has a reputation beyond reputeBama Lee XLC has a reputation beyond reputeBama Lee XLC has a reputation beyond reputeBama Lee XLC has a reputation beyond reputeBama Lee XLC has a reputation beyond reputeBama Lee XLC has a reputation beyond reputeBama Lee XLC has a reputation beyond reputeBama Lee XLC has a reputation beyond repute

my helmets have orange reflective striping on them and my bike is loud as chyt !!!