The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE & BUELL MOTORCYCLE FORUM - GENERAL DISCUSSION > DYNO Charts and Result
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

DYNO Charts and Result Post your dyno charts and results here.

Active Threads
0 Rear axle - what am I doing wrong?
Last Post: WVDevil
Posted On: 2 Minutes Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 28
0 Efi and carbs
Last Post: SLW210
Posted On: 6 Minutes Ago
Replies: 24
Views: 293
0 ***DK CUSTOM-4 New LIMITED QUANTITY Pegs-10% SAVINGS ON ALL PEGS***
Last Post: DK Custom
Posted On: 17 Minutes Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 177
0 2019 East Coast Meet and Greet
Last Post: Screw Loose Dan
Posted On: 23 Minutes Ago
Replies: 344
Views: 36,367
0 Preston Candover, 23rd June 2019
Last Post: Glamazon
Posted On: 25 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 79
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: sml1226
Posted On: 26 Minutes Ago
Replies: 6,051
Views: 765,551
0 ABS wheel locking?
Posted On: 31 Minutes Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 140
0 Crusty's Travels
Posted On: 53 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2,230
Views: 276,234
0 Parrothead and the 2019 Iron Butt Rally
Last Post: shanneba
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 62
Views: 2,704
0 Broke my drive belt (Stay With The Belt Or Do A Chain Conversion?)
Last Post: Glamazon
Replies: 66
Views: 19,263
0 7 Dead and more wounded
Replies: 23
Views: 849
0 Iree's late night cafe
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,247
Views: 153,268
3 Wtb, Wts, Wtt, Wtg (Ironhead)
Last Post: IronMick
Replies: 120
Views: 230,022
0 Aftermarket starter bolts
Last Post: marklocklear
Replies: 6
Views: 260
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 11,793
Views: 1,065,739
0 How many when You park.... (Leave Your Bike In Gear)
Last Post: boomerguy
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 367
Views: 49,697
0 head and cylinder painting
Last Post: xlhshawn
Replies: 10
Views: 287
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Replies: 44,117
Views: 6,909,089
0 Newbie from Tennessee
Replies: 7
Views: 87
0 Harley reliability .
Last Post: 60Gunner
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 148
Views: 15,069
0 New User, New Parent of an Abused Horse...
Last Post: juzyHD
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 173
0 Long time listened, first time caller
Last Post: juzyHD
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 257
0 Have you ever had your drive belt (secondary drive) break
Last Post: Toejam503
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 690
Views: 176,841
0 Range With Carby 4.5 Gal Tank
Last Post: Toejam503
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 101
Views: 44,755
0 45740-62 & 62A differences?
Last Post: 73HEAD
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 2,993
0 Magneto capacitor NAPA cross reference
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 208
0 What engine oil do you use?
Last Post: Tomcatt
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 466
Views: 91,685
0 Got Lights,No Got juice to kill switch,starter button.
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 335
0 Throttle Cable For Mikuni
Last Post: ryder rick
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 27
Views: 3,906
9 Unhappy So Many Electrical Issues
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 142
More...
Members Birthdays
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st March 2016
Psycho Garage Proprietor

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Matty has a reputation beyond reputeMatty has a reputation beyond reputeMatty has a reputation beyond reputeMatty has a reputation beyond reputeMatty has a reputation beyond reputeMatty has a reputation beyond reputeMatty has a reputation beyond reputeMatty has a reputation beyond reputeMatty has a reputation beyond reputeMatty has a reputation beyond reputeMatty has a reputation beyond repute

Between John and Trace I'm pretty much convinced if I want to see 100 ft.-lbs. of torque I'll need more cubic inches. I'm looking forward to the new dyno after you iron out your little issues. Well done!
Old 1st March 2016
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 95
mac93 has a brilliant futuremac93 has a brilliant futuremac93 has a brilliant futuremac93 has a brilliant futuremac93 has a brilliant futuremac93 has a brilliant futuremac93 has a brilliant futuremac93 has a brilliant futuremac93 has a brilliant futuremac93 has a brilliant futuremac93 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswracing View Post

I thought this chart was kind of interesting.

You can see that as compared to last year's motor, the reversion is really asserting itself. My guess is that some of this is the pipe and some is the carb's ability to deal with the reversion.

Last year's carb had Thunderjets on it - supplemental high speed fuel circuits. Those fuel circuits allow you to lean down the main jet, so that the motor doesn't go quite so rich in the reversion, and then replace the fuel up top where the pipe is pulling hard. That's literally what Thunderjets were invented for, to help deal with reverting pipes.

This year's carb has no Thunderjets, and it sure seemed sensitive to reversion. In fact for a large part of the day we were struggling with it spitting fuel all over the place both below and above the hard pull area.

Second takeaway here that when it comes out of the reversion, the motor is much stronger than last year's. It's got a bit more displacement, and we got more squeeze into it at the same time, and Dukes did some things to cut parasitic losses - I'll let him reveal those things if he wants to.

But then notice how it dies a lot sooner on top. That's evidence the pipe is giving up again. Reason I say that, the carb was starting to go haywire and blow fuel everywhere again as the motor crossed 7000. This new carb doesn't like any push-back at all, it upsets it greatly.

So it seems like the pipe has a very strong, very narrow pull. That's not necessarily a bad thing, hell, he doesn't need a real wide powerband. But the pull ought to be placed about 500rpm higher in the range. That would at least add some power, since rpm is half the power equation.
Thank You both for posting this. Good info and idea's on what's happening and how to address it. Going to dyno it again? Would be interesting to see what changes have an effect. Cool stuff.
Old 6th March 2016

Sportster/Buell Model: xl883c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Other Motorcycle Model: Harley Street Rod
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
xldukes has a reputation beyond reputexldukes has a reputation beyond reputexldukes has a reputation beyond reputexldukes has a reputation beyond reputexldukes has a reputation beyond reputexldukes has a reputation beyond reputexldukes has a reputation beyond reputexldukes has a reputation beyond reputexldukes has a reputation beyond reputexldukes has a reputation beyond reputexldukes has a reputation beyond repute

Tnt this weekend got rained out so I got together with Aaron and the dyno again. I had said today was gonna go smooth but forgot to knock on wood. After a lot more work than it should have been, this is where we ended up. Still not all that the motor has, but Ive never left here feeling we got it all.
Old 6th March 2016
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Xl
Sportster/Buell Year: 1992
madnss has a reputation beyond reputemadnss has a reputation beyond reputemadnss has a reputation beyond reputemadnss has a reputation beyond reputemadnss has a reputation beyond reputemadnss has a reputation beyond reputemadnss has a reputation beyond reputemadnss has a reputation beyond reputemadnss has a reputation beyond reputemadnss has a reputation beyond reputemadnss has a reputation beyond repute

Man guys , killing it. So awesome!!!! 8s on a hammer 90",yes please. I keep staring at the chart. Picking up rpms and power levels each time. If that makes sense. If not, well, bad ass to you John and hammer! I can't wait to see what you accomplish with this set up. Sky is definitely the limit!
Old 6th March 2016
OzChick

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 08
Other Motorcycle Model: Triumph Bobber
Other Motorcycle Year: 2017
sportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, that cleaned it up quite a bit... looks like much smoother power delivery now. And yep, claimed the 150hp as predicted.

Work/Life Balance? Just work more at Living!
Nyx: 08 XLN~ 90" Dyno Results; 90" of Street-based FUN coming downunder; My six year refresh adventure
TBob: 2017 Triumph Bobber; Making a Decision on a New Bike
Muse: 1982 Honda CBX Shed Find
Photography: My take on the world
Old 6th March 2016
A Million Facts & Figures

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell Cyclone
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1999
aswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, the bike was definitely stronger this week. Different pipe on it. The reversion is still there, he just started sampling late on this pull (I made John do it this week).

Once again we spent most of the day fiddling with the carb. Trying to make that alcohol needle and seat work. We implemented a fix that showed great promise, it fixed the bowl level control problem and smoothed everything out and resulted in several pretty 150+ pulls including the one above. However, the solution is not ideal, it adds a layer of complexity. Ideally we'd like it to just work, without throwing more complication into the bike. John's basically got a decision to make, whether to fully implement that fix or go back to a gasoline bowl/needle/seat and solve whatever issues that may have. We actually tried the gasoline pieces briefly at the beginning of the day and it definitely had issues to solve.

So as he alluded to, the work really isn't done yet. This is why you test. But we made progress.

Old 6th March 2016

xldukes has a reputation beyond reputexldukes has a reputation beyond reputexldukes has a reputation beyond reputexldukes has a reputation beyond reputexldukes has a reputation beyond reputexldukes has a reputation beyond reputexldukes has a reputation beyond reputexldukes has a reputation beyond reputexldukes has a reputation beyond reputexldukes has a reputation beyond reputexldukes has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully I'll be at the track next weekend unless its gets rained out again. I have 4 different bowls and a complete carb being sent to me to test. Hopefully that solves the issues we were having. After going thru the afr charts from the pulls it looks like I'll be needing to add a thunderjet. We got to a point where more main jet stopped doing anything.
Sponsored Links
Old 7th March 2016
Senior Chief Know It All 3rd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Flat Track Racer
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Sportster/Buell Model #2: RIP 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1999
A 4 liter V8 eater has disabled reputation

So is this running on Alcohol?

Link to thread on "Harley Racing" events across the country: http://xlforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=53470

These events include Hillclimbing, Flat Track Racing, Ice racing, Drag Racing, etc.. They are all sports dominated by Harley Davidsons. They are always located in scenic areas and are great weekend rides. The above link allows XLforum users to coordinate riding to these events together.
Old 7th March 2016

I'm running Q16 from VP