The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE & BUELL MOTORCYCLE FORUM - GENERAL DISCUSSION > Product Reviews
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Product Reviews Here is where you can write up your own review of bikes, parts, or accessories.

Please do not post problems in here unless replying to a review. Please post problems with specific parts or accessories in their respective forum topics.

Active Threads
0 Bearing questions
Last Post: Scott
Posted On: 7 Minutes Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 122
0 Can you Drown a Sportster ???
Last Post: broknluck
Posted On: 8 Minutes Ago
Replies: 32
Views: 845
0 I guess I'm back
Last Post: gravydog
Posted On: 11 Minutes Ago
Replies: 46
Views: 1,224
0 Compensator nut.
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 16 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 51
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Last Post: trainman
Posted On: 18 Minutes Ago
Replies: 10,047
Views: 1,683,715
0 turn key on, no power at battery. key off battery good. help
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 21 Minutes Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 573
0 Clutch issues
Last Post: Gibson90kb
Posted On: 30 Minutes Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 179
0 Cold?
Posted On: 32 Minutes Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 1,112
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Posted On: 38 Minutes Ago
Replies: 44,361
Views: 6,962,638
0 Basic Welding Equipment
Last Post: Iron Mike
Posted On: 46 Minutes Ago
Replies: 50
Views: 2,068
0 "The Blues" thread!
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 53 Minutes Ago
Replies: 866
Views: 74,688
0 Massachusetts rides 2019
Last Post: joes95bobber
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 262
0 75 XLH Bendix Carb Spitting Gas - Video
Last Post: Kennyv
Replies: 17
Views: 648
0 WTF is it with these F'n rocker cover leaks!
Last Post: 60Gunner
Replies: 128
Views: 2,080
4 The no-debate OIL POLL
Last Post: Toejam503
Replies: 225
Views: 64,272
0 Front end swap
Replies: 1
Views: 88
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Replies: 12,227
Views: 1,116,319
0 Torquing Rubber
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 47
0 Ride Report 2019 Black Hills, Grand Teton Mtns., Rocky Mountain Ntl. Park
Last Post: DK Custom
Replies: 52
Views: 1,900
0 Been cheated on?
Last Post: Joe_jeep
Replies: 99
Views: 9,826
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Replies: 6,128
Views: 778,129
0 You asked for it! "The Tess' Coffee Thread"
Last Post: sportytrace
Replies: 10,791
Views: 868,848
14 HD ad for Dirt?
Replies: 0
Views: 32
0 Cold Start. Then stall
Last Post: Tucsonmax1
Replies: 4
Views: 173
0 HD 100th Anniversary Sporty Pic Thread
Last Post: kopbilly1
Replies: 211
Views: 128,691
0 Looking For parts 86 XLH
Last Post: cajun1957a
Views: 26
0 Trade: 91-03 Forward Controls for Mid Controls
Last Post: tmessenger
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Views: 28
0 Clutchlite ramps with pictures
Last Post: jkinkade
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 31
Views: 4,966
0 Brake Line Part Number ?
Last Post: ferretface
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 352
More...
Members Birthdays
billib (65), Scar (60), koolblue, Spor-T-1 (56), Choppershed (55), Nemo DeNovo (53), harman35 (51), Wannabee (51), crackermank (49), WORM (43)
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th July 2005
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Alasportster is on a distinguished roadAlasportster is on a distinguished road
Default Mustang Vintage Wide Studded and Passenger pillion

I got my Mustang seat on Friday, and got installed it on Saturday. I didn't get a long ride on it over the weekend, but several shorter rides, another one today, and it seems to be every bit as good as everyone claims. Longer rides are coming soon, and I'll offer my feelings after more miles on the seat.

I got the wide vintage studded solo, with the backrest, and the passenger pillion to match. Also got the matching tank bib, and some conchos and studs to use on the bags and touring trunk, and it's developing into a pretty well integrated look.

I bought from Westend Motorsports, and they are VERY GOOD people to deal with. They had the front seat with backrest, tank bib, conchos and studs in stock, and the pillion was backordered. I ordered on Saturday, had everything by the following Friday, except for the pillion which came today, (which included waiting 'til Monday to ship so they could check on the status with Mustang concerning the BO'd pillion). West End said that their best guess on the backorder was a week or so, and they hit it right.

Everything fit like a champ, absolutely no problems There was a HD "indexed" seat nut that goes in the fender with the plastic circlip included, (plus a long zip tie to install it and good directions to advise on the procedure) and when the pillion came, it had the special "spacer" to let the pillion's front attachment "hook" interface properly with the solo seat's rear mounting point at the middle hole in the fender, and a longer screw to hold the spacer in place. No scratched paint with this.

The backrest has quite a bit of adjustment and matches the seats just right.

I've said I will post some pictures, and as soon as I do a couple of little things,
I will post my bike in it's "touring" dress with bags, touring seat, trunk with backrest, QR windshield, lower air deflectors, and hand air deflectors.

As soon as I can get some progressive fork springs in, and hopefully the Progressive 440's in back, and either some higher bars or more pullback, that will pretty much have the touring part done (I think), although with these things you never know.

Also, after a little engineering on the bags, I'll be able to have the bike with no trunk/backrest or pillion or windshield or bags quickly, or any combination within that, so I can kinda customize it to the type of riding I'm doing.

After that I may do a stage one, yeah, I know, I'm one of the few people who are stock engine wise, but, if you like it as is, why spend the money? I've been fine with the performance, but then, a little more is never a bad idea.

The one thing I want to do is make sure I don't sacrifice bottom and mid for top end perfromance, so I'll be careful to mix up some combo that's oriented toward low through mid power and torque, even if it's at the expense of some high RPM bang.

I'm even toying with the idea of an 88 inch "torquey" set up, (but keep the stock look), and maybe a baker six speed, if they are ready for '04's and 05's, with one tooth off the front final drive sproket, to get a lower bottom gear (in fact all first five gears would be lower, but still knock off 250 or so top gear RPM. I think that would be a real "sneaky little s**t" of a thing to do.

Oh well, y'all know I sometimes go on for a long time, so I'll call a halt, but pix will be forthcoming, and as I said, I can highly recommend:

1) Mustang wide vintage and matching pillion
2) West End Motorsports
Dave '05 XL 1200C; '07 Gold Wing 1800; "07 Royal Enfield Bullett Electra X, with Cozy "Rocket" sidecar "The reason most people don't recognize opportunity when it knocks, is because opportunity is almost always dressed in work clothes."

Last edited by Alasportster; 20th July 2005 at 03:31..
Old 6th August 2005
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Other Motorcycle Model: Softail Deluxe
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
csaintg will become famous soon enoughcsaintg will become famous soon enoughcsaintg will become famous soon enoughcsaintg will become famous soon enoughcsaintg will become famous soon enoughcsaintg will become famous soon enough

Looking forward to the pics. Don't forget a top view of the Bib, maybe from the seat, so we can see what driving with it looks like

CJ
Old 9th August 2005
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883C (1235 Conv)
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL883R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
KC_Sporty_Gal is a name known to allKC_Sporty_Gal is a name known to allKC_Sporty_Gal is a name known to allKC_Sporty_Gal is a name known to allKC_Sporty_Gal is a name known to allKC_Sporty_Gal is a name known to allKC_Sporty_Gal is a name known to allKC_Sporty_Gal is a name known to allKC_Sporty_Gal is a name known to allKC_Sporty_Gal is a name known to allKC_Sporty_Gal is a name known to all

Been thinking about getting that seat but wasn't sure if I wanted to spring for the backrest. I need to stop spending $$ on my bike though as I am making hubby mad

"Ruth" '05 XL883C -> 1212 -> 1235 (don't ask) - Pearl Yellow
Progressive Fork Springs, Progressive 412s w/ heavy duty springs, 883 -> 1200 NRHS conversion (at 1235 Now), Daytona Twin Tec Ignition, Hurricane AC
Old 9th August 2005
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 XL Custom
Sportster/Buell Model #2: FLSTFI Fatboy
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2004
Chucky has disabled reputation

I am waiting on delivery from Mustang for a Wide Vintage seat, passenger pillon, and sissy bar pad for my 05 1200 Custom. I opted for the seat without the backrest. Have read only good things about Mustang. I also need to add rails and a sissy bar. Sounds like you are going with a detachable. What have you heard about them? I am debating detachable vs. fixed rail. Also, I want the sissy bar pad to rest on top of the pillon. Do you know what size sissy bar I need?

Hope you enjoy the new seat. I am also getting Stage I done next week. Everything I have read says it is worth it.