The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: ChinCactus
Posted On: 12 Minutes Ago
Replies: 6,117
Views: 777,135
0 Alternator/generator Conversion
Last Post: saddlebagrail
Posted On: 25 Minutes Ago
Replies: 129
Views: 68,288
0 Power Loss At Sustained High RPMs
Last Post: Bigshankhank
Posted On: 29 Minutes Ago
Replies: 23
Views: 456
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 53 Minutes Ago
Replies: 3,517
Views: 415,043
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Posted On: 57 Minutes Ago
Replies: 44,347
Views: 6,960,984
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 12,191
Views: 1,112,600
0 how many run baffles, run open, or just run stock
Last Post: a-sad-anorak
Replies: 411
Views: 93,591
0 2020 Sportster?
Last Post: NLXL
Replies: 28
Views: 1,191
7 I met a living legend.
Replies: 29
Views: 1,517
0 Crusty's Travels
Replies: 2,276
Views: 286,088
0 PLEASE READ THIS Before You Post In 'The BUY - SELL - TRADE Zone'!
Last Post: Folkie
Replies: 1
Views: 632
0 looking to swap mids for forwards
Last Post: Folkie
Replies: 2
Views: 127
0 rattles like a can of bolts
Last Post: smilinbrad
Replies: 0
Views: 21
0 `83 XLX rebuid and questions thread
Last Post: iNSaNeSHaNe
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 149
Views: 11,528
0 Occasional carb spit back, am I missing something?
Last Post: Serious Blac
Replies: 25
Views: 895
7 Oldest Motorcycle You've Owned
Last Post: Glamazon
Replies: 56
Views: 2,913
0 What jets do you use?
Last Post: 60Gunner
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 244
Views: 77,543
0 Peanut, 3.3 or 4.5 gas tank ?
Last Post: 83XLX
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 222
Views: 63,521
0 This is gonna hurt.
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 7,686
Views: 1,514,166
0 WTF is it with these F'n rocker cover leaks!
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 94
Views: 1,242
0 Can you Drown a Sportster ???
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 22
Views: 597
0 Clutchlite ramps with pictures
Last Post: rocketmangb
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 27
Views: 4,823
0 For Sale: SE Race Ignition Tuner 32124-04B/Stock ICM
Replies: 9
Views: 304
0 Cold Start. Then stall
Replies: 1
Views: 98
0 KT - 2019 - Done Riding - Not Hardly
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 83
Views: 8,077
0 Clutch issues
Replies: 6
Views: 147
0 75 XLH Bendix Carb Spitting Gas - Video
Replies: 13
Views: 534
0 Brake Line Part Number ?
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 256
0 This week on Craig's list
Last Post: Bwf347
Replies: 4,182
Views: 481,347
0 Tire cupping
Last Post: LLOYD883
Replies: 8
Views: 247
More...
Members Birthdays
merc, schvamf (47), MikeLightnin, o2man98 (39), Toadz (31), WingNut15B (31)
Tags
1966, buying, magneto, what to ask

Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th June 2018
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 79
DieTrying will become famous soon enoughDieTrying will become famous soon enoughDieTrying will become famous soon enoughDieTrying will become famous soon enoughDieTrying will become famous soon enoughDieTrying will become famous soon enoughDieTrying will become famous soon enough
Default Please-66 sportster 4 sale-what do I Ask?

Hi,not knowing much except what ive been reading,recently and over the years.Can someone give me a really in depth list of things to ask,check and watch out for-when looking to buy a 1966 sportster.

It is in an aftermarket frame ,with disc brakes front and back so everything would be engine-drivetrain/clutch related.

Not real important but..
has Disc brakes/Forward controls

And the following parts/items are new:
Rewired with cloth wire
bars with internal throttle
plug wires
tires
fluids
taillight
headlight
tank

More important.
*It has the original points set up and magneto.
*being it is titled by engine number to a ''1978 build title'' ,as a 78 it will/would need turn signals-will this be a issue with the magneto-no signals originally design??
(on side note-also has amber headlight which isnt legal in my state-has to go)

I know to ask about:
title status-also has it ever been plated-is it now,
internal work,'rebuild'status-how long ago,etc.
any welds ,fixes,buggerd threads,etc.
and to ask about things ''still needing att/adressed''
compression,
starting issues,magneto 'condition' ,rebuilt/and remagnitised or no?
carb type,
correct 'year' parts or otherwise (for future work -and things matching the books/procedures/part numbers etc.)
shifting issues?,clutch rebuild/when etc,
same for brakes,pads,oil,forks,chain.
check for oil flow.....

Please;what am I missing-perhaps not even aware of ??
couldnt do pix so

Any help would be great
I havent ridden since 2003,and cant afford nor want/need any avoidable surprises /''shoulda checked'' type afterthoughts/discoveries.

A genuine thank you to all who take the time to share any wisdom and advice.
J.D.
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."

**added** It took me awhile to come around to the practicalness of the evo sportster engines reliability,because i hated the look.I like the old school look.if i found a modern build like the one im looking at (which would cost me more to set up then what they are asking as it sits-at least im pretty sure),id be looking at it.
1 of my thoughts is to look at this as a roller with poss. to put modern evo donor in.but have to ask about that with owner/frame and consider paperwork hassles to do so,in far future if it happend at all.
basically I like the look of the build, and have always thought the basic bare minimum,no batt,min. wires etc was a plus in some ways.Also have alwayswanted a shovelhead-66 1st year- with the idea of owning a bike that is the same birth year as me,but could settle for this sportster build/style.is why im looking at this bike in particular.

Last edited by DieTrying; 24th June 2018 at 18:56.. Reason: added info
Old 24th June 2018
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLS
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLS
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 82
60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of

How much cash do You have right now to spend on a Ironhead?
IF You go look at this wanna be 66, check the cases for cracks and repairs/weld's.
Make sure it HAS a 1966 title..and matches the engine..and run the VIN thru us here before buying.
You don't want any screwed up crap like "This bike has a built title from 1978 with the matching numbers from the motor"

Heres one in your state that is the same asking price.. and the original owner, Its a much better bike and a very fair price.
https://toledo.craigslist.org/mcy/d/...604377571.html
Old 24th June 2018
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1989
spacecoast has a brilliant futurespacecoast has a brilliant futurespacecoast has a brilliant futurespacecoast has a brilliant futurespacecoast has a brilliant futurespacecoast has a brilliant futurespacecoast has a brilliant futurespacecoast has a brilliant futurespacecoast has a brilliant futurespacecoast has a brilliant futurespacecoast has a brilliant future

Not sure what your looking for, as in the future of your bike. Restoration? Seems like a lot missing for that but it depends on your wallet and desire I guess. Old school custom? That seems like where the bike was heading. Pictures are worth...... Regardless of which way your wanting to go, I would check the belly numbers to see if they are a matched set, (this effects value in my opinion). Check that vin pad out carefully. Check the trans corner for any former damage. If he'll let you, a compression test would be nice. I would post a pic and see what others think/suggest. Good luck DT.
Old 24th June 2018
Biker

DieTrying will become famous soon enoughDieTrying will become famous soon enoughDieTrying will become famous soon enoughDieTrying will become famous soon enoughDieTrying will become famous soon enoughDieTrying will become famous soon enoughDieTrying will become famous soon enough

Why would this be an issue? I understand for this year this is how it is supposed to be titled,by the engine,as there were no vin on frames,its already plated in my state so I dont see what could be wrong but I def. am going to check.
I had a 1979 that was the screwy time the motor co. Stamped out the number under the belly and restamped,but the frame and engine matched the title.I thought id got burnt when I found it while doing maintenenance,there was no internet then,so I basically kept my mouth shut since it had passed reg/plate into my name.
While trying to decide ,what to do,and how to go about it;hurricane georges in the fl keys took the issue out of my hands by totalling the bike.
So,I am very mindfull of vins etc.
But is there something I might not be aware of as far as a 'build' title situation ?
as I havent dealt with that/this situation(build-titled) before?
Old 24th June 2018
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLS
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLS
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 82
60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of

Read up on this here, http://www.bmv.ohio.gov/titles-salvage.aspx

And post the link to that Craigslist ad here..no worries,we get notified within 1 hour when
57 thru 85 Sportsters are posted so most of us has already seen it and passed on it...way to much $ and screwed up titling saying its a 1978..whats that tell Ya?
So..if Your really wanting to find a perfectly legal Ironhead for a good price all You need to do is tell us exactly how much cash You have in hand right now.
Understand?
Old 26th June 2018
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

ryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond repute

DANGER Will Robinson!!!!!!!

Do Not Buy the XL you described!!!!!

You cannot title it with a 78 motor number, a 78 is registered by the frame number.
With An aftermarket frame and no numbers would get titled as a special construction and get a state assigned frame number.
You cannot stamp a 78 motor number onto an aftermarket frame, the state will not do that because there is another frame already with that number.
If you have a 66 motor it should be registered with that number but it will not be easy.

The bike in it's current state does not sound like it is register-able.

Only the DMV can assign or stamp numbers,
Possession of or altering/removing numbers is a felony beef.
Many DMV clerks do not have the training to tell the difference, and if they mistakenly issue a title for an improperly numbered bike they will not be held responsible and your junk will be impounded if noticed by an LEO who knows his stuff.

Again DO Not attempt to register this bike with a 78 motor number because there is already a frame out there with that number.
Shame on the dick head that is trying to pass this off as legitimate.
Old 26th June 2018

ryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond repute

There was a guy on this forum a few years back who had what he thought was a legitimate registration he rode the bike for a year or two.
His bike was taken from him because the previous owner had done some shenanigans at DMV and the bike turned out to be stolen.
DMV did nothing for him. (not our fault, a fraud was perpetrated by the person who registered the bike)
He was lucky he was able to sick the cops on the guy who sold him the bike so he did not get charged.
I think the courts made the guy he bought it from pay him some money, but the legal owner got the bike back.

Not the same situation but goes to show you what can happen when the DMV losers let something pass.

The bike with an aftermarket frame and a 78 title and a 66 motor would not pass muster in California or at Sturgis where numbers are checked by trained LEO's
Old 26th June 2018
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 84 xl paughco rigid
Other Motorcycle Model: 70 xlch
mct496 is a name known to allmct496 is a name known to allmct496 is a name known to allmct496 is a name known to allmct496 is a name known to allmct496 is a name known to allmct496 is a name known to allmct496 is a name known to allmct496 is a name known to allmct496 is a name known to allmct496 is a name known to all
Default Where'd you get all that from

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryder rick View Post
DANGER Will Robinson!!!!!!!

Do Not Buy the XL you described!!!!!

You cannot title it with a 78 motor number, a 78 is registered by the frame number.
With An aftermarket frame and no numbers would get titled as a special construction and get a state assigned frame number.
You cannot stamp a 78 motor number onto an aftermarket frame, the state will not do that because there is another frame already with that number.
If you have a 66 motor it should be registered with that number but it will not be easy.

The bike in it's current state does not sound like it is register-able.

Only the DMV can assign or stamp numbers,
Possession of or altering/removing numbers is a felony beef.
Many DMV clerks do not have the training to tell the difference, and if they mistakenly issue a title for an improperly numbered bike they will not be held responsible and your junk will be impounded if noticed by an LEO who knows his stuff.

Again DO Not attempt to register this bike with a 78 motor number because there is already a frame out there with that number.
Shame on the dick head that is trying to pass this off as legitimate.
I didnt read. Anything about a 78 motor number or anyone stamping numbers. He said it has a 78 "build" title. I thinking thats state issued like a special construction tittle
Old 27th June 2018

Well if that is the case it will have a state assigned VIN on the frame in the form of a blue tag or stamped number. The number is often in the form of 2 letters for the state abbreviation followed by 5 or 6 digits.

This is what most call a special construction title, which would be fine (except for valuation as it is not an HD title).

His description is not clear so I assumed the worst. I hate to see guys get stuck with something that is not register-able.

If the frame is numbered and the number matches the title it would seem legit, the motor number is not really relevant at that point.
Sponsored Links
Old 27th June 2018
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 84 xl paughco rigid
Other Motorcycle Model: 70 xlch
mct496 is a name known to allmct496 is a name known to allmct496 is a name known to allmct496 is a name known to allmct496 is a name known to allmct496 is a name known to allmct496 is a name known to allmct496 is a name known to allmct496 is a name known to allmct496 is a name known to allmct496 is a name known to all
Default Agreed

His description isnt the clearest. There are some messed up numbers out there. Ive seen some pics on here of obviously bogus numbers and it sucks when someone gets screwed because they dont have the knowledge about the numbers