The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 Bearing questions
Last Post: Scott
Posted On: 2 Minutes Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 122
0 Can you Drown a Sportster ???
Last Post: broknluck
Posted On: 3 Minutes Ago
Replies: 32
Views: 845
0 I guess I'm back
Last Post: gravydog
Posted On: 6 Minutes Ago
Replies: 46
Views: 1,224
0 Compensator nut.
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 11 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 51
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Last Post: trainman
Posted On: 13 Minutes Ago
Replies: 10,047
Views: 1,683,715
0 turn key on, no power at battery. key off battery good. help
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 16 Minutes Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 573
0 Clutch issues
Last Post: Gibson90kb
Posted On: 25 Minutes Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 179
0 Cold?
Posted On: 27 Minutes Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 1,112
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Posted On: 33 Minutes Ago
Replies: 44,361
Views: 6,962,638
0 Basic Welding Equipment
Last Post: Iron Mike
Posted On: 41 Minutes Ago
Replies: 50
Views: 2,068
0 "The Blues" thread!
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 48 Minutes Ago
Replies: 866
Views: 74,688
0 Massachusetts rides 2019
Last Post: joes95bobber
Posted On: 59 Minutes Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 262
0 75 XLH Bendix Carb Spitting Gas - Video
Last Post: Kennyv
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 17
Views: 648
0 WTF is it with these F'n rocker cover leaks!
Last Post: 60Gunner
Replies: 128
Views: 2,080
4 The no-debate OIL POLL
Last Post: Toejam503
Replies: 225
Views: 64,272
0 Front end swap
Replies: 1
Views: 88
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Replies: 12,227
Views: 1,116,319
0 Torquing Rubber
Replies: 1
Views: 47
0 Ride Report 2019 Black Hills, Grand Teton Mtns., Rocky Mountain Ntl. Park
Last Post: DK Custom
Replies: 52
Views: 1,900
0 Been cheated on?
Last Post: Joe_jeep
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 99
Views: 9,826
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Replies: 6,128
Views: 778,129
0 You asked for it! "The Tess' Coffee Thread"
Last Post: sportytrace
Replies: 10,791
Views: 868,848
14 HD ad for Dirt?
Replies: 0
Views: 32
0 Cold Start. Then stall
Last Post: Tucsonmax1
Replies: 4
Views: 173
0 HD 100th Anniversary Sporty Pic Thread
Last Post: kopbilly1
Replies: 211
Views: 128,691
0 Looking For parts 86 XLH
Last Post: cajun1957a
Views: 26
0 Trade: 91-03 Forward Controls for Mid Controls
Last Post: tmessenger
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Views: 28
0 Clutchlite ramps with pictures
Last Post: jkinkade
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 31
Views: 4,966
0 Brake Line Part Number ?
Last Post: ferretface
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 352
More...
Members Birthdays
billib (65), Scar (60), koolblue, Spor-T-1 (56), Choppershed (55), Nemo DeNovo (53), harman35 (51), Wannabee (51), crackermank (49), WORM (43)
Tags
issue, solenoid, starting

Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th January 2017
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1970
sharp89 is an unknown quantity at this point

Either way. I have a new solenoid and Bendix gear coming. One of them is bound to fix my problem

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 5th January 2017
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp89 View Post
So battery drops to 10.2ish while cranking ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp89 View Post
From what I just read. If the battery maintains a range from 9.5 - 10.5 volts under the load, then its good ...
I expect that your battery is good enough and that the problem is elsewhere. The starter motor draws a very large current; if the battery is low there is not enough to fire up one of the modern electronic ignition systems.

More than a few of the guys on this forum over the past decade have stated the 10.5; some have even said 11.0. My own individual experience has been different - mine has functioned on less. I should state this in any posts I answer that need this info.

Note that these numbers are for true, modern electronic ignitions such as the Crane Hi-4 and the Ultima. Points ignitions will light up under far less, but I do not know the numbers. Also I do not know what is required by the "not-quite-electronic" ignitions like the Dynatek S.

Visit Mick's WebSite
[And Check Out My Autobiog]
Old 5th January 2017
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMick View Post
I expect that your battery is good enough and that the problem is elsewhere. The starter motor draws a very large current; if the battery is low there is not enough to fire up one of the modern electronic ignition systems.

More than a few of the guys on this forum over the past decade have stated the 10.5; some have even said 11.0. My own individual experience has been different - mine has functioned on less. I should state this in any posts I answer that need this info.

Note that these numbers are for true, modern electronic ignitions such as the Crane Hi-4 and the Ultima. Points ignitions will light up under far less, but I do not know the numbers. Also I do not know what is required by the "not-quite-electronic" ignitions like the Dynatek S.
I did put the multimeter on the solenoid starter stud (the one wired to the relay) when I crank it fluctuates between 0-10 volts. So it seems that the voltage from the start button/relay to the solenoid is fluctuating somehow and causing the solenoid to disengage maybe? My next check will be to disconnect that wire and meter out of the relay, or possibly jumper a wire straight from the battery to the solenoid's starter stud

Old 5th January 2017
Rider Of The Iron Steed

IronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond repute

I do not recall about the state of the solenoid, if it is old used, new, or refurbished. If it is old, used then it is undoubtedly, IMO, the problem.

They get filthy inside, and the two studs wear where they contact the big brass washer. Then it first becomes unreliable, finally stops working altogether.

Completely dismantle, clean, inspect.

If the studs are worn note that they only wear on one side so you can simply rotate them [one is easy, the other requires some care].

Note that the cap is plastic so you must not tighten too much the two big nuts - just enough to start compressing the split lockwashers.

Note also that the parts fit into square or rectangular holes in that plastic lid, which is spring loaded. It can be a bear to refit the lid. So when dismantling use care so you do not change the shape of things.
Old 5th January 2017
Biker

Quote:
I do not recall about the state of the solenoid, if it is old used, new, or refurbished. If it is old, used then it is undoubtedly, IMO, the problem.

They get filthy inside, and the two studs wear where they contact the big brass washer. Then it first becomes unreliable, finally stops working altogether.

Completely dismantle, clean, inspect.

If the studs are worn note that they only wear on one side so you can simply rotate them [one is easy, the other requires some care].

Note that the cap is plastic so you must not tighten too much the two big nuts - just enough to start compressing the split lockwashers.

Note also that the parts fit into square or rectangular holes in that plastic lid, which is spring loaded. It can be a bear to refit the lid. So when dismantling use care so you do not change the shape of things.
What about the voltage to the solenoid's starter stud (the one wired to the relay), if that's fluctuating, isn't that an issue? If that voltage is fluctuating isn't that essentially like pressing the start button repeatedly? Therefore not allowing the solenoid to stay engaged

Old 5th January 2017
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Yes, do check out that issue first. Keep this other issue in mind for later.
Sponsored Links
Old 5th January 2017
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH883
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2003
sportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond repute

You have received good help, thus no need for my 2 cents...so, just a couple comments:

1. Voltage fluctuation, under load, could be a poor connection, combined with excessive load, as may be expected with burnt solenoid contacts adding to the circuit resistance. If your battery cables are good, (both ends of both cables) and there is no corrosion inside the cables, then the focus remains on the solenoid/starter.

2. Regarding 10.5 volts as being the threshold for a potential battery problem: It may crank at a lower voltage and an electronic ignition module may fire at a lower voltage, but below 10.5 serves as a field load test. For example, if a lead-acid battery is 12.6 volts at full charge (12.8 for AGM), then each cell, fully charged is worth 2.1 volts. Subtract one dead cell from the battery capability and that is 10.5 VDC...if battery cables are good, etc.

One other thought: http://xlforum.net/forums/s....php?t=1896417
Old 5th January 2017
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsterdoc View Post
... so, just a couple comments ...
I put your Solenoid click or chatter thread into the Stickys. Another one of the many that I have missed
Old 6th January 2017
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH883
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2003
sportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I put your Solenoid click or chatter thread into the Stickys. Another one of the many that I have missed
Thanks, Mick
Where is is stuck?
Old 6th January 2017
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Scroll down past the Electrical section to Starter / Solenoid. It is in there.