The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up) For 2007 and above Sportsters

Active Threads
0 .551 Cams in an EFI 1200
Last Post: rocketmangb
Posted On: 5 Minutes Ago
Replies: 78
Views: 4,678
0 ....1
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 7 Minutes Ago
Replies: 5,001
Views: 296,221
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 8 Minutes Ago
Replies: 45,498
Views: 7,182,857
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 10 Minutes Ago
Replies: 14,321
Views: 804,391
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Posted On: 10 Minutes Ago
Replies: 15,030
Views: 1,422,777
0 Removing countershaft from access cover
Last Post: Russ
Posted On: 53 Minutes Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 6
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 56 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2,591
Views: 341,772
0 Best Battery Maintainer and/or Booster?
Last Post: Glamazon
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 30
Views: 1,171
0 Handlebars
Last Post: Glamazon
Replies: 3
Views: 137
0 98 Stator Removal / Inspection / Installation
Last Post: harley506d
Replies: 18
Views: 618
0 Riding in the rain
Last Post: 60Gunner
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 129
Views: 26,925
0 Full face, Half or skull cap?
Last Post: mikeLI_77
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 502
Views: 93,368
0 Anti reversion “muffler”
Last Post: Tomcatt
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 32
Views: 1,488
0 If You Have An '04+ (Buell's too), Please Read (Oil Usage)
Last Post: JaKaL
Replies: 152
Views: 23,311
0 Still got your upper drive belt guard??
Last Post: Ireeman
Replies: 111
Views: 19,463
0 MPG HONESTLY, what do you get?
Last Post: a-sad-anorak
Replies: 579
Views: 76,195
0 question about new trans door
Last Post: Iron Mike
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 193
0 XL IR EFI to those that asked
Last Post: Iron Mike
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 24
Views: 1,158
0 This week on Craig's list
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 4,455
Views: 544,381
0 Multiple timing marks?
Last Post: needspeed
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 35
Views: 19,089
0 Where were the IronHead sportsters Made.
Last Post: NLXL
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 377
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Last Post: trainman
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 10,385
Views: 1,819,086
0 BMW reverse trike build
Posted On: 14 Hours Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 171
0 Cometic Valve Stem Seal Install?
Last Post: BlackBikeDave
Posted On: 15 Hours Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 226
0 diagnose noise in engine after rebuild
Last Post: Nibelungen
Posted On: 16 Hours Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 494
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Posted On: 17 Hours Ago
Replies: 2,573
Views: 219,525
0 1200 conversion
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 19 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 140
0 Do you blip the throttle when downshifting?
Last Post: 60Gunner
Posted On: 19 Hours Ago
Replies: 462
Views: 79,868
0 Derby cover
Last Post: RussW
Posted On: 21 Hours Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 166
More...
Members Birthdays
vlmuke, wazza (48), Grizzwold (44), roaldtm (39), redtacoma31 (34)
Tags
acceleration, vibration

Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th October 2015
Senior Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2011
Sweet Terry Smoove has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Terry Smoove has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Terry Smoove has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Terry Smoove has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Terry Smoove has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Terry Smoove has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Terry Smoove has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Terry Smoove has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Terry Smoove has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Terry Smoove has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Terry Smoove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazbom View Post
OK so I know this isn't related to the original post but I didn't want to start a new thread. Had a little issue tonight while changing my front rocker box gaskets (the front has a leak in the area of the front dogbone mount) and had the entire thing back together minus the top and was torquing the last of the hex bolts (the 7/16" bolts (3)) and the last one didn't feel right and i was no where near the torque spec. Needless to say it snapped. Luckily me neighbor was pitching in and after removing the rocker box and new gasket it was evident it wasn't coming out without a fight.

So my neighbor is taking the head to his shop as he has the proper tools and is going to remove it tomorrow. Now to the info I wanted to share and ask opinions on; the front piston was caked with a pretty thick layer of really hard carbon and there was a carbon ring on the cylinder had a carbon ring in the area above the area of the top ring. I looked at the back, albeit through the spark plug hole with a focused light, and could get a decent look at the top of the majority of the piston an dirt was actually shiny with very little carbon at least what we could see. The rear piston was noticeably cleaner than the front.

Is this a normal condition? Does the front really use that much more fuel, or is the rear cylinder running more lean than the front causing less carbon build up in back? I mean the from piston was caked (top). Since the head was removed we decide it would be best to change all the involved gaskets on that cylinder and removed he cylinder which allowed me to really clean the front piston. Has anyone seen this condition and what contributes to this? Thanks for allowing me to drag my troubles out for all to see....
It could be a bad breather. They are about 12 bucks each so you might as well replace them while you have it apart. When I replaced a bad rocker gasket in mine, I found the gasket for the breather pinched allowing oil to pass by into the intake. It came from the factory like that.
Old 26th October 2015
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 XL Low
Sportster/Buell Year: 07
Other Motorcycle Model: Road King
Other Motorcycle Year: 2008
nazbom is a glorious beacon of lightnazbom is a glorious beacon of lightnazbom is a glorious beacon of lightnazbom is a glorious beacon of lightnazbom is a glorious beacon of lightnazbom is a glorious beacon of lightnazbom is a glorious beacon of lightnazbom is a glorious beacon of lightnazbom is a glorious beacon of lightnazbom is a glorious beacon of lightnazbom is a glorious beacon of light

Smoove, thanks for the help and your replies! I'll check this morning, we were up pretty late screwing with that and I plan to do as much cleaning as I can today til I get the head back. My wife was hanging around garage with us and my neighbor said we should just to a 1200 conversion since we had it this far, you shoulda seen my wife's face! Anyway, I'm crushed while I wait on this but better to do this right...

"There are no facts, only interpretations" -Nietzsche
Old 27th October 2015
Biker

nazbom is a glorious beacon of lightnazbom is a glorious beacon of lightnazbom is a glorious beacon of lightnazbom is a glorious beacon of lightnazbom is a glorious beacon of lightnazbom is a glorious beacon of lightnazbom is a glorious beacon of lightnazbom is a glorious beacon of lightnazbom is a glorious beacon of lightnazbom is a glorious beacon of lightnazbom is a glorious beacon of light

Got the head back tonight, haven't done anything with it though but start to clean it up from all the carbon. After reading and looking at pics I have to agree that it definitely is the result of the oil blow by from the breathers. I got the piston cleaned off really good and need to tackle the head while I wait for the gaskets and cylinder. The carbon is really cooked on the combustion chamber. What are some good ways to clean this off?

I can't wait to lose the stock A/C but want to get rid of those breathers into the stock air cleaner, can I eliminate the breathers before I get a new AC?
Old 27th October 2015
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 883/1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Other Motorcycle Model: KLR 650
Other Motorcycle Year: 1987
spoon has a brilliant futurespoon has a brilliant futurespoon has a brilliant futurespoon has a brilliant futurespoon has a brilliant futurespoon has a brilliant futurespoon has a brilliant futurespoon has a brilliant futurespoon has a brilliant futurespoon has a brilliant futurespoon has a brilliant future

I'm sure others will chime in but soak the cargo parts in Pine Sol. May take a couple of days but no scrubbing.
Old 2nd November 2015
Biker

So got my parts back from the shop on Saturday night and put the motor back together today... Even with good ole Murphy it all worked out. I put the cylinder and head on torqued it to the specs and then reassembled all the bits and pieces, cleaned up the garage then put the key in, held my breath and it fired right up and sounded great. I let it idle some, varying the throttle then shut it down to check for any leaks. Everything looked OK so fired it back up and took her on a cruise.

While it was apart for a week I cleaned everything i could, I had nothing but time. I put new seals in (intake, valve, etc.) along with new gaskets when I reassembled. Cleaned the valves, piston, etc. and I swear that the bike is running noticeably different in a good way. The idle seems smoother, still Harley but smoother, acceleration is smoother and it just runs better. Now I haven't taken it on the commute to work but I'm very interested to see how the "vibration" settles out.

To more accurately explain the vibration that started this thread this is what I was experiencing; Sportsters vibrate and I know that, mine always did an dhas spots that vibrate more than others. The Vibration I wrote this about was when a normal vibration in the RPM scale seemed to amplify after I was riding the bike for more than a half hour or so. If I was just cruising to the store or a shorter run that same spot in the RPM there would be a mild vibration that I could ride through as normal vibration. I just noticed it got really bad all of a sudden. Enough of boring everyone, I'll update after I get some cruising in (supposed to rain here tomorrow so we'll see).
Sponsored Links