The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Active Threads
0 THE Trainspotting Thread
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 7 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2,105
Views: 234,138
0 WTB Power Vision Cable for 09 Sportster
Last Post: Farva_84
Posted On: 8 Minutes Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 1
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 11 Minutes Ago
Replies: 41,623
Views: 6,396,232
0 65 CH barn find/survivor
Last Post: 60weight
Posted On: 18 Minutes Ago
Replies: 119
Views: 21,914
0 Sweetwater BBQ and Campout and Swapmeet with Bands
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 28 Minutes Ago
Replies: 16
Views: 734
0 Do you use premium gas in your Sportster?
Last Post: Bone
Posted On: 38 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1,692
Views: 319,845
14 How to insert pictures in your posts. May take a while to load for dial-up.
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 51 Minutes Ago
Replies: 93
Views: 38,638
10 My 1982 XLSA Build Thread
Last Post: doodah man
Posted On: 56 Minutes Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 90
5 what year were cat. conv's installed?
Last Post: andyb
Posted On: 57 Minutes Ago
Views: 5
0 New England 2018
Last Post: mick42
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 209
Views: 10,407
0 Keith Black 10:1
Last Post: jcasella
Replies: 13
Views: 245
3 post a pic of your AMF sporty
Last Post: khav
Replies: 797
Views: 279,680
5 1200 or 883
Last Post: Bone
Replies: 993
Views: 294,778
0 Shovester Sighting
Last Post: Bwf347
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 123
Views: 11,141
0 ***DK Custom-LIMITED TIME 10% SAVINGS on ALL Riser Extensions***
Last Post: DK Custom
Views: 32
0 2020 H-D response to the Indian FTR1200?
Last Post: Bwf347
Replies: 98
Views: 5,800
0 S&S Cycle Hooligan 2-2 Exhaust
Last Post: tomaso
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 126
0 ***DK Custom-Introducing FINNED HANDLEBAR CLAMPS-Save 10%***
Last Post: DK Custom
Views: 32
0 ignition switch?
Replies: 5
Views: 147
0 '78 clutch disengagement problem.
Last Post: kmul
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 67
3 Wtb, Wts, Wtt, Wtg (Ironhead)
Last Post: khav
Replies: 119
Views: 198,513
0 Small nail in tire?? plug or replace
Last Post: rider61
Replies: 130
Views: 18,991
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: harley506d
Replies: 1,601
Views: 165,241
0 WTF Happened
Last Post: Iron Mike
Replies: 913
Views: 152,767
0 getting this 78 back to the way it should be.
Last Post: Flame__
Replies: 916
Views: 151,959
6 Is Your SPORTSTER...
Last Post: rokytnji
Replies: 6
Views: 830
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 5,400
Views: 610,267
0 upper front engine bracket bolts
Last Post: ChinCactus
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 69
More...
Members Birthdays
moe (74), Playtoe (63), shanneba, Charlie Allen (59), the cowboy way (59), P-Diddly (56), Utahsporty (55), evo-pete (54), stf420 (53), NevadaRob (51), Punisher (49), Razor_Reznor (44), Paycheck (41), jfs92579 (39)
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st May 2018
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1984
Yochstein is a name known to allYochstein is a name known to allYochstein is a name known to allYochstein is a name known to allYochstein is a name known to allYochstein is a name known to allYochstein is a name known to allYochstein is a name known to allYochstein is a name known to allYochstein is a name known to allYochstein is a name known to all

I didn't hesitate to buy my '84 basket case with 20k miles on the clock. Turned out it needed a complete and total teardown which was not what I expected. Regardless, it's back together and I'm working through issues as with the other bikes I own. I feel it's part of the ownership of older bikes. My 1976 Honda GL1000 "Naked Goldwing" has 42,000 miles which is barely broken in and my 1978 Yamaha XS650 twin which was my first bike has 70,000 miles on it. Both are strong running bikes and again, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another higher mile bike if the opportunity comes along.
Old 9th May 2018
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Xl1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
tileman2692 is a name known to alltileman2692 is a name known to alltileman2692 is a name known to alltileman2692 is a name known to alltileman2692 is a name known to alltileman2692 is a name known to alltileman2692 is a name known to alltileman2692 is a name known to alltileman2692 is a name known to alltileman2692 is a name known to alltileman2692 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screw Loose Dan View Post
Something to consider, an often quoted statistic (but not sure the actual source or accuracy) is the average motorcycle is driven 3,000 miles/year. So, based on that the 40,000 mile FL should be ~13 years old.

The average might be 3,000 miles/year, but it's not uncommon to see very low mileage 10 year old motorcycles.

Would I be worried about buying a 40k-60k mile bike? Probably not. Best I can tell, the most common cause for catastrophic failure is owner induced, NOT mileage. But, I see so many low mileage bikes I'm not sure I would bother with a higher mileage bike unless it was a real steal.
Don't know if you are looking at an EVO motor, but mine is it's a 2002 xl1200 none rubber mount. The EVO motor is prob. One of the best motor they've made. Easy to work on and VERY dependable. I bought mine at 52k and now have 58 K. In the coarse of 16 months, Of coarse I have replaced coil, ignition module, rebuilt the carb, new wires, plugs, stage 1 kit, battery, head light bulb, Energy One 15% over clutch plate. Let me say this she doesn't burn any oil, runs VERY STRONG. With all that I also dropped a Slammer Kit because I'm only 5 2". Some have said there's EVO's out there with 100K plus Mls with no motor rebuilds.
Old 15th May 2018
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 48
Sportster/Buell Year: 2016
Other Motorcycle Model: Softail Special Construct
Other Motorcycle Year: 1992
kuri77 is a splendid one to beholdkuri77 is a splendid one to beholdkuri77 is a splendid one to beholdkuri77 is a splendid one to beholdkuri77 is a splendid one to beholdkuri77 is a splendid one to beholdkuri77 is a splendid one to beholdkuri77 is a splendid one to beholdkuri77 is a splendid one to beholdkuri77 is a splendid one to beholdkuri77 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RON BAYLESS View Post
Probably because they are not as comfortable
People keep saying this like it's a given. I have a Softail with aftermarket seat and shocks but my new Sportster 48 is more comfortable for me, (not when it was stock), but since I put a Mustang Touring seat with backrest, longer Biturbo shocks, up and back risers, heel and toe shifter, windshield and 6 inch Accutronix extensions to my forward pegs. After I do the front suspension and get even longer Biturbos I expect it will be as comfortable as any of the bikes I've owned from luxobarges to thumpers. I really believe you can make the Sportster as comfortable as you want. Just throw more $ at it if it isn't. Anyway I'm never going back to my Softail.
Sponsored Links
Old 15th May 2018
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 07
r4fthrs has a reputation beyond reputer4fthrs has a reputation beyond reputer4fthrs has a reputation beyond reputer4fthrs has a reputation beyond reputer4fthrs has a reputation beyond reputer4fthrs has a reputation beyond reputer4fthrs has a reputation beyond reputer4fthrs has a reputation beyond reputer4fthrs has a reputation beyond reputer4fthrs has a reputation beyond reputer4fthrs has a reputation beyond repute

Comfort is a personal definition. I feel there are two parameters to comfort, one being body comfort the other is `control' comfort. I have ridden several different types of `geezer glides' and while yes, it is like gliding down the road on my recliner, the mass and weight of it doesn't give me confidence in pushing it through corners and tight maneuvers. Yes, again I could possibly grow into it with more miles, but I like the performance and handling of the Sporty so why switch.

As far as body comfort, I don't really go for the cushy ride. I like stiffer suspension where I can feel the subtle nuances of the road and feel confident of it's abilities (and limitations). I have made more improvements to suspension and handling than for comfort, as the only comfort thing I have added was the Mustang Solo.

To each his own and remember that your opinion is just that and subjective. That is why I modify my bike to suit me and never disparage anyone on their choices. While many of my friends like their BTs, I am happy with my Sporty.
Old 15th May 2018
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: xl 883 Iron
Sportster/Buell Year: 2017
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xl Hugger (sold)
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2001
Nibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by r4fthrs View Post
Comfort is a personal definition. I feel there are two parameters to comfort, one being body comfort the other is `control' comfort.

To each his own...
Well said
I personally prefer the latter
Old 16th May 2018
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Xl1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
Skuzeee has disabled reputation

A big reason why I bought my 97 Sportster was because the frame mount Evo's are simple and dependable. I will admit that as my first Harley, I keep expecting the sounds and vibrations to be signs of a problem, so far though, the only issues can be directly attributed to the PO's ghetto-righing. Kinda expected it, after he tried selling me a gun with the bike.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk