The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Active Threads
0 Lifters
Last Post: Tomcatt
Posted On: 12 Minutes Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 300
0 FS: 79 to 85 XL/XR H-D Service Manual
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 15 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 45
0 Returning member from SC
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 19 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 18
0 WTB WTT 2004 XL1200C V&H Sideshots and OEM Forward Controls
Last Post: rocketmangb
Posted On: 20 Minutes Ago
Views: 8
0 7 spoke 18" rear rim, drum brake?
Last Post: sleighcrane
Posted On: 35 Minutes Ago
Views: 56
0 Safety Tips - Cager Blinkers
Last Post: BKB
Posted On: 47 Minutes Ago
Views: 48
0 03 xl1200C Riser Alternatives
Last Post: BlackBikeDave
Posted On: 50 Minutes Ago
Views: 33
0 27 or 29 Tooth Pulley
Last Post: Sirrom1
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 21
Views: 3,208
0 Poll: What weight fork oil do you use?
Last Post: wedge
Replies: 127
Views: 35,583
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Last Post: trainman
Replies: 10,307
Views: 1,778,142
0 Divorced quick question
Last Post: Gold Member
Replies: 7
Views: 687
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Replies: 3,715
Views: 453,304
0 XL Bomber - Portuguese project
Replies: 162
Views: 53,712
8 HELP! Brand new battery, but nothing works
Last Post: Armand
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 17
Views: 615
0 Nikita helps Vlad learn good habits
Last Post: rokytnji
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 35
0 oops, my bad.
Replies: 22
Views: 517
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: trainman
Replies: 14,309
Views: 1,334,313
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: harley506d
Replies: 2,469
Views: 320,911
0 XLCH Crazy voltage spike
Last Post: The Doctor71
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 16
Views: 545
0 77 xlch buying advice. Thanks.
Last Post: 72 Ironhead XLH
Replies: 8
Views: 258
0 Fatster Project
Last Post: Flame__
Replies: 9
Views: 940
0 You asked for it! "The Tess' Coffee Thread"
Last Post: Flame__
Replies: 10,905
Views: 904,896
0 Gas leak from carberateur
Last Post: mickey t
Replies: 31
Views: 532
0 Mounting fatbob tanks on a '74
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 43
Views: 10,362
0 1973 XLH rebuild thread
Last Post: Iron John
Replies: 11
Views: 369
0 Larger gas tank for 1996?
Replies: 37
Views: 4,279
0 1958 XL Primary Cover
Last Post: spacecoast
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 117
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 45,172
Views: 7,120,785
0 Unpin tail lamp connector
Last Post: jsandidge
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Views: 117
More...
Members Birthdays
rokhedjo (57), ROSCO666 (55), Murdog1968, sep69 (50), 034life (47), 75XLCH (38), Looney (38)
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st August 2016
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: Superlow 1200T
Sportster/Buell Year: 2016
SonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgavin View Post
Apparently I will have to find a 2008 Roadster with low miles. Other than the seat, this is what I want. Decent clearance, dual disc up front, the 4.5 gallon tank.

The alternative is buying a new 1200T, raising the suspension, and doing without the dual disc up front.
I wanted dual disks too! I think the stock Superlow brakes are adequate, had zero problems so far. I almost went with a older Roadster too but wanted alloy rims and radials and ABS.
Old 1st August 2016
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200T
Sportster/Buell Year: 2014
Other Motorcycle Model: 6 others
spacetiger has a brilliant futurespacetiger has a brilliant futurespacetiger has a brilliant futurespacetiger has a brilliant futurespacetiger has a brilliant futurespacetiger has a brilliant futurespacetiger has a brilliant futurespacetiger has a brilliant futurespacetiger has a brilliant futurespacetiger has a brilliant futurespacetiger has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Sporty 48 View Post
I paid a small premium for a 08 Roadster with 2500 miles, they are out there.
Upgrade the front Showas with Ricor Intiminator or Race Tec Emulators, the correct springs and oil.
For the rear I went Ohlins for rebuildability but other choices are good.
Add a free flow Air filter, Patriot Defender pipe and a PowerVision tuner.
Of course the seat is a challenge with the ECU placement but there are easy solutions, let Search be your friend.
Excellent summary.

I haven't posted in a while. I was working on a different bike, then about 2 weeks ago a drunk driver hit my 23 yr old son while he was walking on the sidewalk with 5 friends. 3 people were hit, my son got it the worse. After 5 surgeries, he begins the healing process. Luckily the damage was limited to the right forearm and left leg. Unlucky was the timing; he was 2 days away from moving cross country from Ft Collins, CO to Lynchburg, VA to start medical school. He will be deferred 1 yr so he starts in 2017.

Back to the bike, I bought my super low for basically the reasons SonWon cited. I figured it would not be difficult to raise the suspension; longer damper rods + longer [Ohlins] rear shocks. Rear clearance issues with the longer shocks were not a problem. The front was easy to do. The radial tires are a big plus for me. While they are better tires when you push it in the twisties (only sometimes for me), it is the possibility to use dual compound tires so you have harder compounds riding straight up and softer compounds when leaning over. I'm not sure they make dual compound tires in bias ply tires.

I have acquired better suspension testing gear (for springs) so I can test with greater accuracy; no more weights. Its accurate to within 2% out of the box, but I have calibrated it so it is probably 99% accurate. On the other bike (1988 Honda Hawk GT) I was able to set up the front with much lower oil levels to minimize the air spring affect and rely more on the spring to get much closer to a linear rate total spring on the front. I will come back to the sporty to relook at the front set up after I am done with the Hawk.

As for the brakes, since I don't push the bike to need dual discs, I have found the swap to a single 13" disc with 6 pot PM caliper was a good move. The new caliper matches up well to the front MC so the modulation feel of the front brakes improved over the oem setup. I recommend this upgrade. However, if you push your bike hard through the twistees a lot, you might want to consider a dual disc set up as the additional mass of the front discs will help reduce brake fade.

Jerry
Old 1st August 2016

SonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacetiger View Post
Excellent summary.

I haven't posted in a while. I was working on a different bike, then about 2 weeks ago a drunk driver hit my 23 yr old son while he was walking on the sidewalk with 5 friends. 3 people were hit, my son got it the worse. After 5 surgeries, he begins the healing process. Luckily the damage was limited to the right forearm and left leg. Unlucky was the timing; he was 2 days away from moving cross country from Ft Collins, CO to Lynchburg, VA to start medical school. He will be deferred 1 yr so he starts in 2017.

Back to the bike, I bought my super low for basically the reasons SonWon cited. I figured it would not be difficult to raise the suspension; longer damper rods + longer [Ohlins] rear shocks. Rear clearance issues with the longer shocks were not a problem. The front was easy to do. The radial tires are a big plus for me. While they are better tires when you push it in the twisties (only sometimes for me), it is the possibility to use dual compound tires so you have harder compounds riding straight up and softer compounds when leaning over. I'm not sure they make dual compound tires in bias ply tires.

I have acquired better suspension testing gear (for springs) so I can test with greater accuracy; no more weights. Its accurate to within 2% out of the box, but I have calibrated it so it is probably 99% accurate. On the other bike (1988 Honda Hawk GT) I was able to set up the front with much lower oil levels to minimize the air spring affect and rely more on the spring to get much closer to a linear rate total spring on the front. I will come back to the sporty to relook at the front set up after I am done with the Hawk.

As for the brakes, since I don't push the bike to need dual discs, I have found the swap to a single 13" disc with 6 pot PM caliper was a good move. The new caliper matches up well to the front MC so the modulation feel of the front brakes improved over the oem setup. I recommend this upgrade. However, if you push your bike hard through the twistees a lot, you might want to consider a dual disc set up as the additional mass of the front discs will help reduce brake fade.

Jerry
Sorry to hear about your son. I hope and pray for a complete and speedy recovery for your son and justice for the drunk!
Old 6th August 2016
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R, non-CA model
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
bgavin has much to be proud ofbgavin has much to be proud ofbgavin has much to be proud ofbgavin has much to be proud ofbgavin has much to be proud ofbgavin has much to be proud ofbgavin has much to be proud ofbgavin has much to be proud ofbgavin has much to be proud ofbgavin has much to be proud ofbgavin has much to be proud of

If I can't find a 2008 Roadster, I'm mulling over a 1200T with extended forks (3-inch?) and the standard length rear shocks. This would necessitate an extended side-stand and possibly a longer front brake line.

It's a shame they no longer make the 2008 Roadster configuration.
Old 6th August 2016

For 2008 Roadster performance in a Superlow you only need 1.5" up front and the same in the rear or a little more but not much (I think 14.1" are stock for a Roadster.).
Old 6th August 2016
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Sportster/Buell Model #2: FXLR
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1988
scooby has a brilliant futurescooby has a brilliant futurescooby has a brilliant futurescooby has a brilliant futurescooby has a brilliant futurescooby has a brilliant futurescooby has a brilliant futurescooby has a brilliant futurescooby has a brilliant futurescooby has a brilliant futurescooby has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgavin View Post
If I can't find a 2008 Roadster, I'm mulling over a 1200T with extended forks (3-inch?) and the standard length rear shocks. This would necessitate an extended side-stand and possibly a longer front brake line.

It's a shame they no longer make the 2008 Roadster configuration.
I found my 2008 by luck, but I had to travel 300 miles to pick it up. It would be easier to get an 2007 and change tank and seat that to convert suspensions and what nots. I mean if you can find a good 07.