The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE & BUELL MOTORCYCLE FORUM - GENERAL DISCUSSION > Riding with disability
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Riding with disability Discussions on how to ride with minor or major disabilities.

Active Threads
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: trainman
Posted On: 11 Minutes Ago
Replies: 14,345
Views: 1,337,200
0 Production LiveWire
Last Post: rejeanprimeau
Posted On: 19 Minutes Ago
Replies: 87
Views: 5,785
0 Transmission Issue or clutch?
Last Post: 1Scooter
Posted On: 20 Minutes Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 125
0 brake fluid
Last Post: 11alan111
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 88
0 :( New deep rebuild on my 90 inch
Last Post: conv90
Replies: 159
Views: 16,520
0 XLCH Crazy voltage spike
Last Post: IronMick
Replies: 21
Views: 864
0 Battery/regualtor/charging strange problem
Last Post: conv90
Replies: 7
Views: 235
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: BWP 5p
Replies: 45,178
Views: 7,125,200
7 1983 Ironhead motor in a 1996 EVO frame?
Last Post: Akeemking
Replies: 12
Views: 657
0 Boardtracker Project
Last Post: brucstoudt
Replies: 603
Views: 114,742
0 Wet Sump Ifo, fix and tools
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 42
Views: 2,558
0 DK Custom-Parts Info, Testing, & Results w/ Pics & Fun-to-Read Ride Reports
Last Post: DK Custom
Replies: 19
Views: 2,824
0 **DK CUSTOM - Pro-Action Street Series Shocks**
Last Post: DK Custom
Replies: 6
Views: 1,204
0 Poll: What weight fork oil do you use?
Last Post: Four Speed
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 131
Views: 35,717
0 the milwauke 8 made me love my sporty
Last Post: joes95bobber
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 33
Views: 2,381
0 Divorced quick question
Last Post: Gold Member
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 1,037
0 KT - 2019 - Done Riding - Not Hardly
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 105
Views: 10,093
0 Lifters
Last Post: Hippysmack
Replies: 30
Views: 743
8 HELP! Brand new battery, but nothing works
Last Post: Whitewalls
Replies: 28
Views: 903
0 Transmission Issue or clutch?
Last Post: MonkeyMadness
Replies: 0
Views: 25
0 You asked for it! "The Tess' Coffee Thread"
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 10,907
Views: 905,231
0 What gas mileage do you get for touring?
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 144
Views: 51,075
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: SonWon
Replies: 2,476
Views: 321,256
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 2,469
Views: 206,942
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: ParrotHead
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 6,414
Views: 828,288
0 A Day in the Life...
Last Post: ParrotHead
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 669
Views: 79,649
0 Safety Tips - Cager Blinkers
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 145
0 1999 Buell X1 Part out
Last Post: painterdude923
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 301
0 This is gonna hurt.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 7,779
Views: 1,559,497
More...
Members Birthdays
jackson91 (50), TheLAW (44), tat2cj, C_Ranger (30), XL Kenny (27)
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th March 2019
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Model #2: FXST Softail Standard
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: FLSTF Fatboy
Other Motorcycle Year: 1999
Stairman has a reputation beyond reputeStairman has a reputation beyond reputeStairman has a reputation beyond reputeStairman has a reputation beyond reputeStairman has a reputation beyond reputeStairman has a reputation beyond reputeStairman has a reputation beyond reputeStairman has a reputation beyond reputeStairman has a reputation beyond reputeStairman has a reputation beyond reputeStairman has a reputation beyond repute

If a muscle is completely torn no amount of therapy will help. It has to be reattached surgically, It can not reattach itself. A muscle has to be attached at both end for it to work.
Old 5th March 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1969
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1969
Other Motorcycle Model: Triumph 750 tracker
Other Motorcycle Year: 1966
Akdawg has much to be proud ofAkdawg has much to be proud ofAkdawg has much to be proud ofAkdawg has much to be proud ofAkdawg has much to be proud ofAkdawg has much to be proud ofAkdawg has much to be proud ofAkdawg has much to be proud ofAkdawg has much to be proud ofAkdawg has much to be proud ofAkdawg has much to be proud of

Had the surgery 20 years ago and the repaired side better than the non. Thing I found is make sure you work through the pain to get the range of motion back. Super important...the strength will come back with normal use but cant stress enough the ROM. Talked with a lot of others that had this and the ones that didn't pay attention to the ROM now severely limited. Did PT on the non side a few years ago when it started declining and it helped a lot, still do rubber band stretches couple times a week and that's keeping the RT strong and pain free.
Old 5th March 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1460C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: XL1200R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
sportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond repute

Well in a get off October 2017 I received multiple tears to rotator cuff, two broken ribs, fractured clavicle and severed acromioclavicular ligament,?sp, Went a year before getting in for surgical correction. If lifting the arm it allowed the shoulder to drop down into the chest cavity and some loss of stability. I set myself up with a couple of three pound barbells and worked daily at strengthening the shoulder, (my youngest boy showed me some exercises), without stressing it. Helped a lot, but could no longer sleep on that side. Was able to do a three week, 7,177 mile run out West last August, did tire easier with some discomfort the last 1,000 miles or so. Surgery this past October and now very good motion and minimal pain. Because of my strengthening work no P.T. Has been necessary. Oh, and back to sleeping side to side. Do use the pillow between knees, many years now, with good results. Now Arthur Ritis is who I have the most problem with but I’ll take it. Learned today that my surgery was way more complicated than Inwas led to believe. Two days in hospital and discharged to home.
I.B.A.#26543, Growing old-Mandatory/ Growing up-optional. Men do not quit playing because they get old, they get old because they stop playing!

The XL Forum Sportsterpedia:
http://sportsterpedia.com/doku.php/start
Old 20th April 2019
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 73
farmall has a reputation beyond reputefarmall has a reputation beyond reputefarmall has a reputation beyond reputefarmall has a reputation beyond reputefarmall has a reputation beyond reputefarmall has a reputation beyond reputefarmall has a reputation beyond reputefarmall has a reputation beyond reputefarmall has a reputation beyond reputefarmall has a reputation beyond reputefarmall has a reputation beyond repute

I'm awaiting surgery referral and bought a sling with abductor cushion. It supports my arm at the correct angle from the body. I wear it at home and at night. That gave me time to practice donning and doffing it single-handed.

Since I'll be driving one-handed I installed medical grade (better construction, bearings and a stronger clamp with no protruding bolts compared to cheap spinners) steering wheel spinners on my trucks and a cheapy on my riding mower. I should have done that years ago because they are so comfortable to use. I see why truckers like them. I don't recommend waiting until after surgery since that's not a great time to learn new things or spin wrenches. I picked up two MPD spinners off Ebay for 70 bucks each. Keep an eye out for deals. They're worth having even if you don't have a medical need for one.

One chore that isn't fun one-handed is using a can opener. That's my reason/excuse for buying this
which is a great addition to my kitchen and the best can opener I've ever used.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These work well on jar lids:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

BTW so does a heat gun. I have several and tried one on a stuck jar lid. Heat guns apply more heat than the old hot water trick with no mess. If I encounter a lid I can't easily shift I'll gun it.

I've been on oxymorphone for several years, periodically suffer for a couple of days without to ensure I'm not getting attached to it, and have zero problems. I suspect the junkies are just too silly to follow instructions. Legit pain patients shouldn't have to suffer because idiot white trash can't stay away from Chinese fentanyl.
Old 22nd April 2019
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xl883r
Sportster/Buell Year: 2014
Glamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all.
Old 11th August 2019
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 73
farmall has a reputation beyond reputefarmall has a reputation beyond reputefarmall has a reputation beyond reputefarmall has a reputation beyond reputefarmall has a reputation beyond reputefarmall has a reputation beyond reputefarmall has a reputation beyond reputefarmall has a reputation beyond reputefarmall has a reputation beyond reputefarmall has a reputation beyond reputefarmall has a reputation beyond repute

Update, had shoulder joint replaced last Tuesday and of course won't be riding until FULLY rehabilitated. it went well and I can't stress enough how much thorough preparation makes one-armed life easier.

Prep which kicked azz:

Get Cryo cuff or similar in advance and have a convenient way to make fitted ice cubes. I use cold drink styrene cups in a plywood and metal rack I whipped up from scrap for my chest freezer. Beats chasing cups. No need to remove cups from cubes. Cold packs work too. I hang the unit from an IV stand off Amazon which will later be used for test fuel tanks in my shop.

Have spare slings including a light mesh one for showering.

Have pain meds in advance!

Make simple shirts you can don one handed.. I cut one strap on some cheap loose tank tops and used fabric adhesive to attach velcro. I can step into those like a pair of shorts without disturbing the arm.

Make various tools to function as an extra hand. I can't post pics but I tacked visegrips and channellocks upside down to eighth inch sheet and c-clamped them to my kitchen table. Channellocks are held closed by rubber bands.

Practice Tegaderm bandage/dressing swaps one handed if you live alone.

Shoes which use Salomon Quicklace system laces are outstanding.You can buy the lace kits. I will never want conventional laces again.
Old 13th August 2019
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
Joe_jeep has a brilliant futureJoe_jeep has a brilliant futureJoe_jeep has a brilliant futureJoe_jeep has a brilliant futureJoe_jeep has a brilliant futureJoe_jeep has a brilliant futureJoe_jeep has a brilliant futureJoe_jeep has a brilliant futureJoe_jeep has a brilliant futureJoe_jeep has a brilliant futureJoe_jeep has a brilliant future

i have a torn rotator cuff, a separated ac joint, and biceps and forearm tendonitis.
i chose to skip surgery for now, and did 3 months of therapy instead.
i am a a lot better! not perfect, but tolerable. i have no problem riding my bike.
you gotta work hard, and take it serious, or it wont help!
Sponsored Links
Old 14th August 2019
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1966
Medyo Bastos is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_jeep View Post
i have a torn rotator cuff, a separated ac joint, and biceps and forearm tendonitis.

i chose to skip surgery for now, and did 3 months of therapy instead.

i am a a lot better! not perfect, but tolerable. i have no problem riding my bike.

you gotta work hard, and take it serious, or it wont help!

Just don’t throw a baseball!

I just had the surgery. I was only out of work for 2 weeks. I haven’t been back on a bike yet though. P/T is making a huge difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk