The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Motor / Engine > Sportster Motorcycle - Bottom End
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle - Bottom End Cams, Cases, Gears, Flywheel, Piston Conecting Rods, Oil Pump, etc...

Active Threads
0 Lifters
Last Post: Tomcatt
Posted On: 9 Minutes Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 300
0 FS: 79 to 85 XL/XR H-D Service Manual
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 13 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 45
0 Returning member from SC
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 16 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 18
0 WTB WTT 2004 XL1200C V&H Sideshots and OEM Forward Controls
Last Post: rocketmangb
Posted On: 17 Minutes Ago
Views: 8
0 7 spoke 18" rear rim, drum brake?
Last Post: sleighcrane
Posted On: 33 Minutes Ago
Views: 56
0 Safety Tips - Cager Blinkers
Last Post: BKB
Posted On: 44 Minutes Ago
Views: 48
0 03 xl1200C Riser Alternatives
Last Post: BlackBikeDave
Posted On: 47 Minutes Ago
Views: 33
0 27 or 29 Tooth Pulley
Last Post: Sirrom1
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 21
Views: 3,208
0 Poll: What weight fork oil do you use?
Last Post: wedge
Replies: 127
Views: 35,583
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Last Post: trainman
Replies: 10,307
Views: 1,778,142
0 Divorced quick question
Last Post: Gold Member
Replies: 7
Views: 687
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Replies: 3,715
Views: 453,304
0 XL Bomber - Portuguese project
Replies: 162
Views: 53,712
8 HELP! Brand new battery, but nothing works
Last Post: Armand
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 17
Views: 615
0 Nikita helps Vlad learn good habits
Last Post: rokytnji
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 35
0 oops, my bad.
Replies: 22
Views: 517
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: trainman
Replies: 14,309
Views: 1,334,313
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: harley506d
Replies: 2,469
Views: 320,911
0 XLCH Crazy voltage spike
Last Post: The Doctor71
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 16
Views: 545
0 77 xlch buying advice. Thanks.
Last Post: 72 Ironhead XLH
Replies: 8
Views: 258
0 Fatster Project
Last Post: Flame__
Replies: 9
Views: 940
0 You asked for it! "The Tess' Coffee Thread"
Last Post: Flame__
Replies: 10,905
Views: 904,896
0 Gas leak from carberateur
Last Post: mickey t
Replies: 31
Views: 532
0 Mounting fatbob tanks on a '74
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 43
Views: 10,362
0 1973 XLH rebuild thread
Last Post: Iron John
Replies: 11
Views: 369
0 Larger gas tank for 1996?
Replies: 37
Views: 4,279
0 1958 XL Primary Cover
Last Post: spacecoast
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 117
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 45,172
Views: 7,120,785
0 Unpin tail lamp connector
Last Post: jsandidge
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Views: 117
More...
Members Birthdays
rokhedjo (57), ROSCO666 (55), Murdog1968, sep69 (50), 034life (47), 75XLCH (38), Looney (38)
Tags
oil pump install, oil pump removal, oil pump upgrade

Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd July 2019
Chief of Security

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200/1250C
Sportster/Buell Year: 05
60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Oil Pump Upgrade with Pics

Thought I'd share this walk thru with pics for those thinking about about upgrading their oil pump to the 07 one with improved scavenging. Part number 26204-91A. There's a few helpful tips for anyone thats never done it. First, get a service manual if you don't already have one!
Then go out get yourself a long 3/16 ball end allen with a socket drive. Can't stress the importance of this in getting to the bolts. I bought this set at advanced auto for like $26. You can find them individually without the sockets attached too. Even with this it's tight getting to the 2 bolts necessary as you can see by the next pic and the powder coating rubbed away from the bit. Pay close attention to getting it on the bolt straight. It's a tight fit.
But first remove the cam cover according to instructions in the manual. Best to remove the front exhaust pipe and rear brake pedal assembly too for easy access. Cover the cams with cellophane. I do the same with the heads and drape a couple shop rags over them to keep dust and dirt out.

Remove all the oil lines from the pump using a 9/16 and 5/8 on the flare connection for the feed line going to the filter. The others are clamps you cut/pry off. New clamps will come with the pump. Then remove the pump using the long 3/16" ball end allen on the 2 bolts. One closest to the front nearest you and one to the rear on the inside. The pump will drop down and wiggle out. It may be stuck on by the gasket and may bind slightly on the drive gear but it will come out. Remove the stuck gasket and clean the gasket surface of the case.

Take the new pump and work assembly lube into the opening as shown and rotate the shaft working it in to the gerators to help prime it with oil on start up. Put some on the gear as well. Clean any lube from the gasket/case mating surface. Install pump the same way you took out the old one. I found it best with the pump dropped down to put the bolts thru to keep the gasket in place. Then push it up and start the one closest to you by hand. Make surevvthe gear isnt binding with the drive gear. Hook the lines up checking their condition. As you can see I had one that was ready to start leaking that needed attention. I also wrapped some rescue tape in a couple areas prone to wear for added security.

Lube the cams and bushings in the cover. Then I have 4 longer bolts with the heads cut off I screw in the case first to hold the gasket in place and line the cover up. Slide it on, start a couple case bolts and remove the 4 temporary ones. Snug them all up and torque to specs and in the sequence shown in the manual. Make sure you connect the breather hose to the fitting inside of the cover you disconnected to free the cover BEFORE you put it on! The one that vents to the oil tank.
As you can see my cover has been modded with a crankcase breather in front as well. Thats a separate and different type vent covered in another section and it replaces the umbrella valves and head breather bolts.

Reinstall the rocker boxes, exhaust, and rear brake assembly according to instructions and specs in the service manual. DON'T FORGET TO PUT OIL IN BEFORE STARTUP!

See converting head breathers to cam chest breather in the Sportsterpedia for more on the cam chest breather.
HSR42 25 pilot 2 turns Y8 needle jet 97 needle 2nd groove 170 main
Dragtron II AC K&N filter/VR1 20W50/Spectro 85wt Primary Oil

Last edited by 60Gunner; 23rd July 2019 at 20:26..
Old 23rd July 2019
SPANIARD

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: Big Dog K9
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
Highly-Dangerous has a reputation beyond reputeHighly-Dangerous has a reputation beyond reputeHighly-Dangerous has a reputation beyond reputeHighly-Dangerous has a reputation beyond reputeHighly-Dangerous has a reputation beyond reputeHighly-Dangerous has a reputation beyond reputeHighly-Dangerous has a reputation beyond reputeHighly-Dangerous has a reputation beyond reputeHighly-Dangerous has a reputation beyond reputeHighly-Dangerous has a reputation beyond reputeHighly-Dangerous has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent! thank you for the write up.

NOTE: it might be my eyes are getting old but.... could you leave a blank space between each pic? it will make it easier on the eyes....

I am picky am I?? lol

Cheers.

Old 23rd July 2019
Chief of Security

60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highly-Dangerous View Post
Excellent! thank you for the write up.

NOTE: it might be my eyes are getting old but.... could you leave a blank space between each pic? it will make it easier on the eyes....

I am picky am I?? lol

Cheers.
Done.
Old 23rd July 2019
Chief of Security

Oil is returning better. Filled it to 2/3 on the stick last night. Just took it for a ride and it's full. No bubbles or foaming at all. I mean none.
Old 23rd July 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Xl1250S
Sportster/Buell Year: 98
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki Vulcan 500
Other Motorcycle Year: 95
Hippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent write up and pics Gunner!
I like seeing greasy ass cams. Just the way they should be...maybe even more.
Glad everything's working out.
How's the krankvent working?
And how noisy is it, really?

In Search of Fuel, Sunshine and a Steady Idle.
Old 23rd July 2019
Chief of Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippysmack View Post
Excellent write up and pics Gunner!
I like seeing greasy ass cams. Just the way they should be...maybe even more.
Glad everything's working out.
How's the krankvent working?
And how noisy is it, really?
Haha, I had to wipe a little lube off so I could time them after I pulled the cover back off because I forgot to hook up the vent hose to the tank. Front exhaust cam came with it. Stuck in the case bushing because of the lube most likely and wasn't too careful pulling it off.
The motor sounds deeper not really louder with the krankvent. I can feel it's not working as hard too. Noticeably on both counts.
Between the 2 I have no bubbles and my oil level went up after a ride today. So it's definitely returning better.
Old 23rd July 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Xl1250S
Sportster/Buell Year: 98
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki Vulcan 500
Other Motorcycle Year: 95
Hippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond repute

I meant the krankvent itself. But if it's not reed valve, it probably wouldn't be louder.
Cool. I'm glad to hear everything's good.
Old 24th July 2019
Chief of Security

Nope valve isn't loud.
Yeah, just giving it a bath and putting a y8 needle jet in. Little lean in the transition but the 96 needle is a bit rich. This will be like using a 96.5 needle. Richer but without coming on earlier by raising it too.

Last edited by 60Gunner; 24th July 2019 at 00:36..
Old 24th July 2019
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883 Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
Four Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Oil is returning better. Filled it to 2/3 on the stick last night. Just took it for a ride and it's full. No bubbles or foaming at all. I mean none.
Glad you can confirm my observation. I had the same with my ET vent. With a properly working PCV, less air is trying to get out of the crankcases
via the scavenging, so less aeration. My valve is a bit noisier particularly on a cold start-up but it is a floating reed valve, so I suspect it will cope
better at higher revs than elastomer.

I am not sure if you have an oil baffle fitted; have you had a chance to assess how much oil gets past the Hayden valve yet?
Sponsored Links
Old 24th July 2019
Chief of Security

I do have a baffle and so far not a drip.