The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 2018 East Coast Meet & Greet
Last Post: Screw Loose Dan
Posted On: 9 Minutes Ago
Replies: 607
Views: 33,612
0 Where to buy auto advance weights
Last Post: AkIronheadparty
Posted On: 10 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 66
0 Wisamic headlight comparison
Last Post: BKB
Posted On: 10 Minutes Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 577
0 2013 Xl1200C all stock, Intake valve pictures at 30,000 miles,
Last Post: shanneba
Posted On: 12 Minutes Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 1
0 Antz
Posted On: 19 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 67
0 hey y'all
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 19 Minutes Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 47
0 Dunlop elite 4's?
Posted On: 23 Minutes Ago
Replies: 25
Views: 4,843
0 Engine breather 101 / Crankcase vent 101
Last Post: 83XLX
Posted On: 23 Minutes Ago
Replies: 144
Views: 54,840
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 26 Minutes Ago
Replies: 73
Views: 3,393
0 Big bore stroker - the beginning of a 10-year long build
Last Post: RKN
Posted On: 30 Minutes Ago
Replies: 697
Views: 58,816
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Posted On: 34 Minutes Ago
Replies: 8,964
Views: 1,262,828
0 Anyone go racing last weekend?
Last Post: cycowrencher
Posted On: 37 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2,631
Views: 235,839
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 38 Minutes Ago
Replies: 40,865
Views: 6,264,770
0 Thought my clutch went out or tranny, was front pulley
Last Post: andyb
Posted On: 39 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 57
0 C.O.B.B run west
Posted On: 39 Minutes Ago
Replies: 109
Views: 7,020
0 Who can make a spare key?
Last Post: Scuba10jdl
Posted On: 53 Minutes Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 512
0 A Day in the Life...
Last Post: ParrotHead
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 581
Views: 51,744
0 Problems with recently rebuilt transmission
Last Post: paulc
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 172
Views: 11,421
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 7,010
Views: 499,804
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Replies: 2,493
Views: 190,677
0 79 Engine Rebuild
Last Post: Peteroo
Replies: 38
Views: 1,663
0 ....1
Last Post: bplinson
Replies: 4,500
Views: 207,987
0 :( New deep rebuild on my 90 inch
Last Post: conv90
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 71
Views: 6,207
0 Issue that has me stumped
Last Post: 60Gunner
Replies: 34
Views: 1,217
0 wtb cam cover and primary cover for 2003 sportster
Last Post: painterdude923
Replies: 0
Views: 31
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: gravydog
Replies: 1,463
Views: 144,403
0 Any K model guys interested in cam regrinding?
Last Post: sevenyears of famine
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 134
Views: 9,092
0 You asked for it! "The Tess' Coffee Thread"
Last Post: Flame__
Replies: 10,176
Views: 645,696
0 Satisfied Hammer Performance Customers
Last Post: rider61
Replies: 127
Views: 40,973
More...
Members Birthdays
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1960
brucstoudt has a brilliant futurebrucstoudt has a brilliant futurebrucstoudt has a brilliant futurebrucstoudt has a brilliant futurebrucstoudt has a brilliant futurebrucstoudt has a brilliant futurebrucstoudt has a brilliant futurebrucstoudt has a brilliant futurebrucstoudt has a brilliant futurebrucstoudt has a brilliant futurebrucstoudt has a brilliant future

sounds like yours don't need rebuilt but a leaky weld gone over? they should be disassembled first,but this wouldn't even require new parts?
72 1000cc barrels and heads, s&s 41/2'' flywheels, sifton cams, s&s super B w/ zippers thunderjet w/yost powertube, andrews gears,and shafts, competition engineering kevlar wet or dry clutch, 72 oil pump, morris magneto w/auto advance and single fire module, cycle electric generator w/electronic regulator,73 cu.in.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Senior Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1959
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Sprint 350
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1969
Other Motorcycle Model: Guzzi Ambassador
Other Motorcycle Year: 1969
Chuckthebeatertruck has a reputation beyond reputeChuckthebeatertruck has a reputation beyond reputeChuckthebeatertruck has a reputation beyond reputeChuckthebeatertruck has a reputation beyond reputeChuckthebeatertruck has a reputation beyond reputeChuckthebeatertruck has a reputation beyond reputeChuckthebeatertruck has a reputation beyond reputeChuckthebeatertruck has a reputation beyond reputeChuckthebeatertruck has a reputation beyond reputeChuckthebeatertruck has a reputation beyond reputeChuckthebeatertruck has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewalls View Post
I thought I was on track to get a new set from Hagon. They emailed yesterday saying they cannot make shocks for my '71CH because of the 5/8 holes.
Slow your roll, my friend.

Unless I'm missing something, Hagon uses regular old rubber shock bushings in the eye.

I'd have to see them in hand; but the most common construction is either a metal or composite "sleeve" inside the rubber bush so the shock stud doesn't wear the rubber out (quickly).

The trick is to press the rubber bushing out of the shock eye. Most of the time, the sleeve will separate from the bushing when each component is brand new. It's usually a bit of a fight, but if you make up a press tool -- they come out with a wee bit of tearing to the bore. This is ok because our next step is to use a sharp drill bit to enlarge the hole, and press in a new 5/8 sleeve.

However, some newer bushes are molded around the sleeve -- and so you have to be more creative.

The trick there is to press the rubber bush out of the shock eye, then chuck them in the lathe and skim them out from 1/2 or 13mm to the 5/8 you need. You can also do this with a good vice and a drill press -- just make sure your drill bit is VERY sharp as we are cutting the sleeve out bit by bit. I'm not blowing smoke here -- I most recently did this to run a set of shocks I liked on my 79 Guzzi. The bushes were 2mm too small . . . .

If you really want it done, you can also buy rubber or urethane and make your own bushes. I've done it a few times out of oversized bottle stoppers from the chemist. I've also done it out of left over delrin. I honestly never noticed a difference between rubber and delrin bushes other than the delrin would "squeak" when cold.

You can also just type in "shock bushing" and you'll be surprised what comes up.

https://www.jegs.com/i/QA1/122/B6031...iABEgItKPD_BwE

This is one of those times where you may need to be a bit creative and out of the box to get what you want off the shelf.

You can also just make new shock studs in 1/2" . . . if you have a lathe and a little patience. I've done that on a few bikes -- most recently my duoglide frame so I could run Showa airshocks.

Don't let something as silly as the bushing size slow you down.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1971
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1973 HD/Aermacchi TX125
Other Motorcycle Model: 1966 Honda Dream 160
Whitewalls has a brilliant futureWhitewalls has a brilliant futureWhitewalls has a brilliant futureWhitewalls has a brilliant futureWhitewalls has a brilliant futureWhitewalls has a brilliant futureWhitewalls has a brilliant futureWhitewalls has a brilliant futureWhitewalls has a brilliant futureWhitewalls has a brilliant futureWhitewalls has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucstoudt View Post
sounds like yours don't need rebuilt but a leaky weld gone over? they should be disassembled first,but this wouldn't even require new parts?
Not that simple. The struts are oil filled and nitrogen charged.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1971
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1978
Other Motorcycle Model: XLCH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1971
rg500 is a jewel in the roughrg500 is a jewel in the roughrg500 is a jewel in the roughrg500 is a jewel in the roughrg500 is a jewel in the roughrg500 is a jewel in the roughrg500 is a jewel in the roughrg500 is a jewel in the roughrg500 is a jewel in the roughrg500 is a jewel in the roughrg500 is a jewel in the rough

The "K-Tech Razor III Lite shocks" have 1/2" holes like late 75-78 XL, when I rebuild older XL's I always change to the late shock studs,
I try to find Showa shocks late 75-78 XL on swap meets, they are often really fine and people have replaced them to lower shocks or hard tail so they cost almost nothing.

XLCH 1971 with "Showa"

XLH 1978 with a better image with "K-Tech Razor III Lite shocks"
Old 2 Weeks Ago
I have been revived

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1961
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Xl 883n
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2010
Other Motorcycle Model: XL CE Tribute
Other Motorcycle Year: 1977
brianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckthebeatertruck View Post
Slow your roll, my friend.

Unless I'm missing something, Hagon uses regular old rubber shock bushings in the eye.

I'd have to see them in hand; but the most common construction is either a metal or composite "sleeve" inside the rubber bush so the shock stud doesn't wear the rubber out (quickly).

The trick is to press the rubber bushing out of the shock eye. Most of the time, the sleeve will separate from the bushing when each component is brand new. It's usually a bit of a fight, but if you make up a press tool -- they come out with a wee bit of tearing to the bore. This is ok because our next step is to use a sharp drill bit to enlarge the hole, and press in a new 5/8 sleeve.

However, some newer bushes are molded around the sleeve -- and so you have to be more creative.

The trick there is to press the rubber bush out of the shock eye, then chuck them in the lathe and skim them out from 1/2 or 13mm to the 5/8 you need. You can also do this with a good vice and a drill press -- just make sure your drill bit is VERY sharp as we are cutting the sleeve out bit by bit. I'm not blowing smoke here -- I most recently did this to run a set of shocks I liked on my 79 Guzzi. The bushes were 2mm too small . . . .

If you really want it done, you can also buy rubber or urethane and make your own bushes. I've done it a few times out of oversized bottle stoppers from the chemist. I've also done it out of left over delrin. I honestly never noticed a difference between rubber and delrin bushes other than the delrin would "squeak" when cold.

You can also just type in "shock bushing" and you'll be surprised what comes up.

https://www.jegs.com/i/QA1/122/B6031...iABEgItKPD_BwE

This is one of those times where you may need to be a bit creative and out of the box to get what you want off the shelf.

You can also just make new shock studs in 1/2" . . . if you have a lathe and a little patience. I've done that on a few bikes -- most recently my duoglide frame so I could run Showa airshocks.

Don't let something as silly as the bushing size slow you down.
I have done exactly what you describe. Sometimes it easier to swap the bushings with insert out completely. If your old ones are good. As Chuck says, it not that hard of a mod.