The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Styles > Sportster Motorcycle Project
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Active Threads
0 compensator
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 4 Minutes Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 106
0 words fail me
Last Post: rejeanprimeau
Posted On: 15 Minutes Ago
Replies: 25
Views: 671
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 22 Minutes Ago
Replies: 41,177
Views: 6,313,509
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Posted On: 24 Minutes Ago
Replies: 274
Views: 10,869
0 runs-on after kill button pressed
Last Post: 60Gunner
Posted On: 33 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 17
0 Works Performance fork springs alternative
Last Post: Bulpitt
Posted On: 49 Minutes Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 285
0 Anyone go racing last weekend?
Last Post: Racepres
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 2,690
Views: 242,653
0 XR1200: Jerky throttle response, mostly around 3000 RPM
Last Post: Tucson_Tim
Replies: 2
Views: 40
0 Non-stop questions,... lever mounts?
Last Post: GA_Ironhead
Replies: 7
Views: 225
0 You all come back now you hear!
Last Post: doodah man
Replies: 3
Views: 76
0 What oil temp do you run
Last Post: Scuba10jdl
Replies: 91
Views: 16,991
13 %~%#~wobble ^!^^#!#^
Last Post: Mr Dream Merchant
Replies: 975
Views: 216,954
0 This week on Craig's list
Last Post: Bwf347
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 3,562
Views: 349,490
0 Add resistor to turn signal circuit?
Last Post: VaFish
Replies: 15
Views: 860
0 You asked for it! "The Tess' Coffee Thread"
Last Post: Flame__
Replies: 10,235
Views: 667,682
0 To seal or not to seal!
Last Post: bustert
Replies: 9
Views: 332
0 ‘19 H-D Stage-1 models, factory-installed?
Last Post: 60Gunner
Replies: 3
Views: 166
0 Battery Life
Last Post: Four Speed
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 296
0 Choppin' Cotton
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 399
Views: 21,653
0 Iree's late night cafe
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 934
Views: 88,851
0 Help With Oil Flow
Last Post: IronheadPhil
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 321
0 Wheel bearings
Last Post: cotton1
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 16
Views: 331
0 Home servicing.
Last Post: dtkf
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 65
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Replies: 2,576
Views: 205,026
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Replies: 7,541
Views: 550,940
0 19 years and counting
Replies: 11
Views: 284
0 Lost kicker stroke, is it normal?
Last Post: Pezed
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 21
Views: 542
0 Big bore stroker - the beginning of a 10-year long build
Last Post: RKN
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 726
Views: 64,102
0 C.O.B.B run west
Last Post: Dustpan63
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 195
Views: 13,818
0 Spokes or Mags
Last Post: tomaso
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 321
Views: 56,700
More...
Members Birthdays
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st January 2015
Psycho Garage Proprietor

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Matty has a reputation beyond reputeMatty has a reputation beyond reputeMatty has a reputation beyond reputeMatty has a reputation beyond reputeMatty has a reputation beyond reputeMatty has a reputation beyond reputeMatty has a reputation beyond reputeMatty has a reputation beyond reputeMatty has a reputation beyond reputeMatty has a reputation beyond reputeMatty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Airbozo's Sporty upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbozo View Post
...update...

Been calling around and checking with some folks that have done powder coating and was referred to a company near work. They quoted me between $1500 and $2000 to powder coat the frame, wheels, engine, forks and all the various minor parts (depending on color and number of parts). The guys rides a soft tail and has been in business for 40 years. I have seen some of his work at the shop I use and it is show quality.

Does this sound like a fair price?

Happy New Year Terry! Your powder coating sounds reasonable to me. I'm looking for a new guy because mine is going through the overhead $$$. If they are doing it right, they sandblast, preheat the heavy parts and in some cases they will put some kind of primer on it. You want to make sure you get UV resistant powder coat.

I've got to get the tires and brakes done on my bike, but that should be done by next weekend. I'd love to come down and play with you, I'm really good at taking things apart! I don't go back to work until until February.

Sent from my iDon't 6
Old 5th January 2015
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1995
Sportster/Buell Model #2: S3T Thunderbolt
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2000
Other Motorcycle Model: XB12R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2009
Airbozo has a reputation beyond reputeAirbozo has a reputation beyond reputeAirbozo has a reputation beyond reputeAirbozo has a reputation beyond reputeAirbozo has a reputation beyond reputeAirbozo has a reputation beyond reputeAirbozo has a reputation beyond reputeAirbozo has a reputation beyond reputeAirbozo has a reputation beyond reputeAirbozo has a reputation beyond reputeAirbozo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejeanprimeau View Post
At the 2000$ level do they prep the parts ?
Yes, bead blasting and metal prep (didn't know what that really means but I assume it is the blasting and acid wash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty View Post
Happy New Year Terry! Your powder coating sounds reasonable to me. I'm looking for a new guy because mine is going through the overhead $$$. If they are doing it right, they sandblast, preheat the heavy parts and in some cases they will put some kind of primer on it. You want to make sure you get UV resistant powder coat.

I've got to get the tires and brakes done on my bike, but that should be done by next weekend. I'd love to come down and play with you, I'm really good at taking things apart! I don't go back to work until until February.

Sent from my iDon't 6

Hey Matty! How is life treating you? I know it's early, but yes we are doing another Pig Roast on 7-11. I'll send out reminders when it gets close. Funny thing is, my S-I-L and her boyfriend are moving their Pig Roast from memorial day to July 4th, so we will be whole hoggin' it 2 weekends in a row!

I am going up this week to speak with the owner of the powder coat shop and see some colors. Still not sure the final color yet, but I am leaning towards a darker orange for the frame. Staying with black with orange and red highlights for the wheels and still deciding on the Tins, but probably Black with highlights. Not going for any custom paint for the tins, just solid colors.
Old 6th January 2015
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Airbozo has a reputation beyond reputeAirbozo has a reputation beyond reputeAirbozo has a reputation beyond reputeAirbozo has a reputation beyond reputeAirbozo has a reputation beyond reputeAirbozo has a reputation beyond reputeAirbozo has a reputation beyond reputeAirbozo has a reputation beyond reputeAirbozo has a reputation beyond reputeAirbozo has a reputation beyond reputeAirbozo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejeanprimeau View Post
At the 2000$ level do they prep the parts ?
I visited the powder coater's shop today and was impressed. Nothing motorcycle related in there today, but a frame off a 57 Chevy pickup just came out with the primer coat on it and there were some other items from the truck, like mounts and brake parts. Several truck racks as well.

I found out that the cost listed includes bead blasting to bare metal, metal prep, primer coat, color coat and final coat (clear or flat). I would need to do any grinding or work to get the metal to a coating stage (like grinding down the rough welds from when my frame was modified to fit my engine back in).

They will also not charge for multiple colors on the same part, like the wheels, unless it is overly complicated.

It looks like I will be joining the orange bike group since I have so far chosen Chevy Orange for the frame. I looked at the Harley Orange (as well as a few others), but nothing I liked. The Harley Orange looked more red to me. I wanted something towards the dark end of orange and not Home Depot or safety orange.

Here is a comparison, but it does look different in person and in the sun.

http://liquidpowdercoats.com/category/gallery/orange/

Lupe at All Bay Powder Coating had swatches of several orange colors and is going to order more for comparison before I make the decision.

I am pretty sure the black I will be using is Ink Black. Very deep color. I also wanted to use a little bit of red in my design, including the brake calipers and I am looking for the right color now. Yeah I know, Harley colors, but I like them. To save some money, I will be keeping my current front fender and tank, but I need a new rear fender and besides the stock one, I have not found anything I like that will accommodate a 2 up setup. Still looking and anyone with ideas, please post...

That' it for now and I will work on getting more pictures up.
Old 12th January 2015
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Been busy this weekend working on the house so I didn't get a chance to take any more pictures. Starting to tear down the motor now, but had a few questions as to the process. Going through the service manual, it is not real clear where to start and end.

Do I need to keep the push rods mated to the rockers?
I do remember that I should keep all the valve train assembly together, so I am assuming yes.

Is there somewhere to purchase an entire set of bolts for the engine? I would like to replace them all with new ones.

Can the bolts be powder coated and still hold up to the required torque without chipping the powder coat?

Is there a set of gaskets that are slightly thicker than stock? I ask because the rockers are still hitting the rocker covers despite the minor grinding I had to do after the original set cracked after being hit by the rockers and I need just a smidge (not sure this will work due to the height of the engine as it sits. There is very little clearance between the rocker cover and frame on the rear... I still have to replace my rocker covers since there is a crack in one of them now and I hate to ruin another set.

Anything else I am missing? This is my first time tearing down a sportster engine and I want to make sure that I have all parts on hand to send off to the powder coater. It will be expensive to do a run of one or two parts, so I want to make sure everything is there.

Thanks!
Old 12th January 2015
Psycho Garage Proprietor

Matty has a reputation beyond reputeMatty has a reputation beyond reputeMatty has a reputation beyond reputeMatty has a reputation beyond reputeMatty has a reputation beyond reputeMatty has a reputation beyond reputeMatty has a reputation beyond reputeMatty has a reputation beyond reputeMatty has a reputation beyond reputeMatty has a reputation beyond reputeMatty has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't found much in the way of sportster kits. I don't know how durable powder coating would be after the torquing. You can check with Diamond Engineering
http://www.depss.com/index.php

McMaster-Carr can be used to piece a kit together
www.mcmaster.com

and there is always ARP for you to check out
arp-bolts.com

Sent from my iDon't 6
Old 12th January 2015
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL77.2R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
rejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond repute

Glad they prep it, most of the cost is prep, when they don't do it powder coat look not as godo. Pro prep cost a lot.
Old 4th February 2015
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Quick picture update.

Starting.

One of the things I am trying to fix is the difference in the fins.

Roller:

Engine and my ghetto engine mount. Lets me roll it in and out of my small shop.

Heads off:

Pistons look a little crusty to me:

...same with the valves:

Got the pistons out, but I nicked them with the awl when removing the clip. please tell me I don't need new pistons...:

I took a ton of pictures during the tear down. If you want to see a particular shot, just ask.

More updates later. Still working on a color scheme and figuring out if I should paint the engine instead of powder coat.
Sponsored Links
Old 4th February 2015
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Bump for the morning crowd.

Still curious about the buildup on my pistons and heads.

Same with the nick I put in the pistons removing the clips...
Old 4th February 2015
Psycho Garage Proprietor

Your pistons and heads look a lot cleaner than mine did. That nick can be taken down with a point file. It's not on the thrust side.
Old 13th July 2016
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Well, a year and a half later I finished completely tearing things down and am now cleaning everything up to get ready for painting and powder coating. Still on the fence concerning colors, but I am still leaning towards a dark orange for the frame and using ink black and a darker red for specific parts.

Need to catalog everything and decide which parts get what color to keep a consistent cool looking theme, then work on the price. I also need to replace a few things like grips, mirrors and controls. I think I am going to go with some custom controls and grips, but still need to find the right ones.

More later... (hopefully not 18 months)

Last edited by Airbozo; 13th July 2016 at 22:47.. Reason: powDer not power