The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Styles > Sportster Motorcycle Project
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Active Threads
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: Lone Rider
Posted On: 1 Minute Ago
Replies: 5,584
Views: 652,009
0 This week on Craig's list
Last Post: koolbreeze
Posted On: 12 Minutes Ago
Replies: 3,657
Views: 380,102
0 Who's still riding???
Last Post: ezmerf
Posted On: 29 Minutes Ago
Replies: 121
Views: 7,891
3 Making my own exhaust gaskets?
Last Post: rokytnji
Posted On: 33 Minutes Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 113
0 My cold weather attire.
Last Post: rejeanprimeau
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 260
0 Poll for the legalization of cannabis
Last Post: ed_in_az
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 445
Views: 55,957
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: dhalker
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 9,156
Views: 752,508
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 42,214
Views: 6,541,381
3 Wtb, Wts, Wtt, Wtg (Ironhead)
Last Post: Jaykel
Replies: 38
Views: 203,799
0 timing sympstoms
Last Post: Iron Mike
Replies: 18
Views: 589
0 Guzzi V7
Last Post: Bone
Replies: 12
Views: 205
0 Wanted - XL HANDLEBARS for 69CH
Last Post: Garym1
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 37
0 Wheel Bearing Question
Last Post: sportsterdoc
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 363
0 Rivets for Front Fender Braces - '71 xlch
Last Post: GA_Ironhead
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 3,337
3 How long have you had your Iron Head?
Last Post: bremoit
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 394
Views: 45,181
0 Dale's Killer 40mm CV Carb
Last Post: Moon Wolf
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 23
Views: 1,149
0 How many have converted their 883 to 1200?
Last Post: Nibelungen
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 379
Views: 98,437
0 Let's See Them R's!!
Last Post: PetesPonies
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,502
Views: 551,029
6 Secret photo"s of folkies loft
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,472
Views: 210,065
0 Hello Everybody
Last Post: harley506d
Replies: 17
Views: 191
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 9,398
Views: 1,471,558
8 Tc88a
Last Post: Mjolnir
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 269
0 Forum member mug shots
Last Post: RAIDER0372
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,132
Views: 336,132
14 Firearms you wish you owned.
Last Post: Bama Lee XLC
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 538
Views: 93,417
0 Helmet poll
Last Post: Bama Lee XLC
Replies: 822
Views: 149,192
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Replies: 803
Views: 50,798
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Replies: 2,864
Views: 280,701
0 Fork oil
Last Post: shanneba
Replies: 2
Views: 92
0 XR1200 Torquehammer exhaust failure.. again.
Last Post: Davo_137
Posted On: 15 Hours Ago
Replies: 32
Views: 967
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: SonWon
Posted On: 16 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,759
Views: 191,318
More...
Members Birthdays
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd September 2014
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Street Brawler
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Ranchero50 has a reputation beyond reputeRanchero50 has a reputation beyond reputeRanchero50 has a reputation beyond reputeRanchero50 has a reputation beyond reputeRanchero50 has a reputation beyond reputeRanchero50 has a reputation beyond reputeRanchero50 has a reputation beyond reputeRanchero50 has a reputation beyond reputeRanchero50 has a reputation beyond reputeRanchero50 has a reputation beyond reputeRanchero50 has a reputation beyond repute
Default My '05 1200C (insert clever title here)

Here's the original post from my intro thread, figure it's a good way to start my project thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranchero50 View Post
Been lurking for a couple months while shopping for a bike, either a mid life crisis or just finally finding a bikes in the style that I like. I'm 6'5" and 210 lbs with 42 years of abuse as a mechanic. Sore back and noisy joints precludes a lot of common decisions towards a bike for me. A month or so ago I finally broke down and visited the local Harley shop and after making sure the sales guys knew I was only shopping for a bike style / size that would fit me and sitting on every B/T in the store they took me out back to sit on a customers newer Sportster with mid controls. Big bike with a low seat, forward controls and tall bars made my back hurt after a couple minutes. My legs and hips weren't that happy with the low seat either. The Sportster with mid controls felt great, go figure.

After wearing out the internet chasing Craigslist ads all over the mid Atlantic region I found this '05 1200C with 38k miles for $3000 sitting an hour away in Vienna VA.
This was almost a trip based on faith as the Craigslist pictures were fuzzy and taken in an underground parking garage. PO said the bike had had a good bit of work done to it. It fired right off and sounded good so I parted with my cash and loaded the bike for the trip home. Of course it wouldn't be a complete motorcycle trip without getting rained on. Natures shower gave me a quick chance to spray the bike down and get rid of most of the grime and fuzz that the bike was covered with.

For some odd reason all the reflectors were installed crooked and upside down. So my oldest son and I spent a couple hours removing them and their old adhesive and then using 3M molding tape put them in the correct place with helpful pics from the forums. The bike also had a second set of the tank emblems on the swing arm. Not real sure why, but they came off and ended up on my toolbox at work.

The lens on the speedo was discolored and barely visible. That cleaned up like new with some Turtle Wax rubbing compound. I was really surprised it cleaned up as well as it did. I think the PO wasn't too savvy about working on things.
Old 23rd September 2014

Ranchero50 has a reputation beyond reputeRanchero50 has a reputation beyond reputeRanchero50 has a reputation beyond reputeRanchero50 has a reputation beyond reputeRanchero50 has a reputation beyond reputeRanchero50 has a reputation beyond reputeRanchero50 has a reputation beyond reputeRanchero50 has a reputation beyond reputeRanchero50 has a reputation beyond reputeRanchero50 has a reputation beyond reputeRanchero50 has a reputation beyond repute

So, after running the bike for a week I decided I wanted the lay the rear tag down. Per MD code it has to be mounted horizontally so no side mount for me.

For material I had some 1/8" aluminum sheet that I formed in my vise with a piece of 2" round bar as a 'die' to radius the edges of the tag. The stand off started out as a 2" length of 2" x .250" angle. I cut most of one of the legs off so the tag would have enough angle to be seen from the rear. I drilled and tapped the base for 1/4-20 bolts and used some stainless stuff I had floating around for fasteners. As a safety I installed a locking nut on the center bolt.

Eventually I'll pull it back off and paint it satin black.
Old 23rd September 2014
I am the great Cornholio!

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki GT550
Other Motorcycle Year: 1974
ParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond repute

Looks good

Check out my Blog for my trip reports:

Click here to listen to my interview on the Motorcycle Men Podcast

Click here for the Sportsterpedia! for technical information & advice
Old 24th September 2014
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
BearE is an unknown quantity at this point

Lovely.
Great color.
But now I've gotta go check and see if I've even GOT the OE reflectors on mine.
And...tank emblems on the swingarm.... hmmmmm. Don't get that one at all.

After nearly three decades of BTs from EGlide Customs to Low Riders, my knees are too bad to hold one up in a dicey situation, so I bought an '04 1200C a few weeks ago. I'd ridden a friend's '07 home from the dealer a few years ago and was favorably impressed. Turns out that my bike has had a lot of money thrown at it in the form of dealer-installed chrome geegaws and a Stage I conversion.

I too am a large individual and am most happy with my new ride. Although, as my cardiac condition worsens, I will probably do a RoadSmith Trike conversion on it eventually. Age happens.

At any rate, great start and congrats on your bluebird of happiness.
Old 24th September 2014
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLS
Sportster/Buell Year: 1984
Sportster/Buell Model #2: FLHTCUI
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Keep it running has a spectacular aura aboutKeep it running has a spectacular aura aboutKeep it running has a spectacular aura aboutKeep it running has a spectacular aura aboutKeep it running has a spectacular aura aboutKeep it running has a spectacular aura aboutKeep it running has a spectacular aura aboutKeep it running has a spectacular aura aboutKeep it running has a spectacular aura aboutKeep it running has a spectacular aura aboutKeep it running has a spectacular aura about

Pretty cool. Looks like you are having fun. Cheers!
Old 24th September 2014

Thanks for the replies. I really love the color. Add in the big tank and wide rear tire and the bike looks more like a 'brawler' vs. a 'Sportster'. Time for some show and tell, I show, you tell me what it is.

First up, ignition module under the seat. Appears to be a Screaming Eagle 7k rev limiter module. The PO said when he had the bike at the dealers for service that they updated the firmware on the ECM. Not sure if this module is the ECM or it's hiding somewhere else.

Second, little plug in doodad that has a fuse and connects to the battery. Battery tender or?

Third are the handle bars and controls. I think they are drag bars, 27" wide and pretty flat. The controls are all chrome as well. I haven't noticed either on most stock bike pictures. The mirrors are '03 and earlier style replacement rectangles that are worthless with these bars.

I'm pretty sure the turn signals were relocated so they don't crash into the tank. Note that I bent the mirror stems to try and get them more functional, didn't work.
Old 24th September 2014

Finally, here's a couple shots of my air cleaner setup. For some odd reason I had a EFI emblem. I think the PO swapped air cleaners with his room mates '09 1200 and mine had a Screaming Eagle setup at one time. This base doesn't look like some of the others I've seen with the snorkel even though the chrome cover is cut for one. Do I have part of the S/E kit still installed?

Also notice the oil coming out of the breathers. This is after 400 miles of running. I figure it's blow by.

To help alleviate the draining effect of the original setup I moved the tubes so the oil has to climb out. Hopefully this slows down the oil 'draining'. I also put a little roll of blue air filter material in the tubes to help collect the oil from the blow by gasses. The oil will stick to the filter and drain back into the engine. I've had to do this to other vehicles in the past and it works pretty well.
Old 24th September 2014
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: 48 "Totalled" By a Douche
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
rocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond repute

Battery Tender connector "yes"
Worthless mirrors "yes" no matter what you do !
Screaming Eagle Air Cleaner "yes"
SE ECM is a "yes" probably flashed for a 1200 but the cams pretty much limit the engine to 6400 RPM
2006 Sportster XL1250C
Hammer Sledge Heads 1.98X1.61 Valves
Hammer 600 Cams
Big Ass CP/Hammer Pistons
Mikuni HSR 45 /Hammer Billet Manifold (Now HSR 48)
Jetted 27.5 slow,182.5 Main
97 Needle,Clip posistion 3
Hurricane Flow 3" offset AC,Rocketman Mod
Daytona Twin Tec TC88A,Rico Scarecrow Map
Sumax Thundervolt plug wires,NGK DCPR8EIX spark plugs. Gapped .040 and Indexed
Cycle Electric Stator and Regulator
Alto Carbonite Clutch
Royal Purple 20W50 MC Primary oil
Patriot Defender Pipe
Royal Purple 20W50 MC Engine Oil
Napa 7148 oil filter
Max Power, 111.47
Max Torque, 84.39
Best 1/4 Mile ET to date 11.85
Best 1/4 Speed to date 115.14
Build by Jester Motorwerkz West
Old 24th September 2014
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1200c
Other Motorcycle Model: KDX 200
Other Motorcycle Year: 1989
jimmydee is a splendid one to beholdjimmydee is a splendid one to beholdjimmydee is a splendid one to beholdjimmydee is a splendid one to beholdjimmydee is a splendid one to beholdjimmydee is a splendid one to beholdjimmydee is a splendid one to beholdjimmydee is a splendid one to beholdjimmydee is a splendid one to beholdjimmydee is a splendid one to beholdjimmydee is a splendid one to behold

Didn't you say the other day that you thought you might have different cams in there or was that somebody else. That would make sense with the module.
05-06 Sportsters are the best looking IMO
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 2006 XL1200C- Hammer Perf. 1250 kit w/ Crush ported heads, 1.900 intake valves, 1.615 exhaust valves, 560 cams, 30 deg. reverse dome pistons, Mikuni HSR45, SE heavy Breather, Hammer billet manifold, TC88A ignition, Samson Powerflow 3, Ricor vibranators, Superbrace, Avon air grips, Ricor shocks, Killer map by Rico, Michelin Commander II s., Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 fork cartridges. Oil leak.

Last edited by jimmydee; 24th September 2014 at 02:17..
Sponsored Links
Old 24th September 2014

Cams... PO also said when it was getting serviced that the tech told him he thought it had a set and it pulled a lot harder vs. other '05 1200's.

Worthless mirrors... I have a set of these coming that should be here tomorrow. I'm going to machine them to fit the bike better and then polish them to death.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251629794352...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

For the A/C I'll probably leave it alone and just get another stock emblem. I chose the '04-06 to avoid EFI.

Other things I've noticed since I got the bike is the rear tire is offset to the right. The belt is tracking pretty close to the cover at the transmission. I expect to take it apart this winter and replace whatever has shifted. I also have a fork seal leaking a bit.

Funny story, I was at the local metric shop today to find out why my new special order Bell half helmet wasn't in yet and they had a couple foreign bikes and there owners outside for service. This bike just gleams in the sunlight, the pearl in the blue pops out and the chrome is amazing. The Vance and Hines Short Shots really accentuate the Harley lope and everything at the dealership stopped until the bike was shut down. None of the customers said anything but the envy was just really thick in the parking lot.

Parts folks had a new helmet getting overnighted (original went to Washington State for some odd reason). So anyway, as I geared up a service guy took off on one of the repair bikes for a test run. Same deal, fired off the bike and everyone looked, again.

BTW, I have one of the Harley badged HJC half helmets that looks like the Spaceballs helmet. Doesn't feel that great going down the road and just looks goofy on my big head. I stopped at the Metric shop to see what other option were out there and after trying a bunch of 3/4 and full face helmets on I checked out the Bell half helmet and really fell in love with how well it fit. They put an adjustable back strap like a hardhat has and was really comfortable. I went with white as I felt it would compliment the blue and not be too hot during the summer.
http://www.bellhelmets.com/powerspor...treet/pit-boss