The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Styles > Sportster Motorcycle Project
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Active Threads
10 New rider - XL1200S in Aus.
Last Post: JacksBrother
Posted On: 46 Minutes Ago
Replies: 31
Views: 2,006
0 Worst Harley rider ever.
Last Post: crazyphuzz
Posted On: 54 Minutes Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 184
0 Lots of issues 78
Last Post: Mrhorn12
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 145
0 New to the Harley Brand
Last Post: juzyHD
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 178
0 What's your helmet?
Last Post: Nibelungen
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 51
Views: 2,558
0 Yetman drag frame
Last Post: Slojoe55
Replies: 31
Views: 11,167
0 C.O.B.B run west
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 226
Views: 16,077
0 Sizing cylinders too pistons
Last Post: Yakcm2
Replies: 11
Views: 408
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 5,290
Views: 584,679
0 Shovester Sighting
Last Post: needspeed
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 67
Views: 7,249
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 41,221
Views: 6,320,416
0 1998 Sportster Ignition Problems
Last Post: james69
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 28
Views: 705
0 Starter circuit without relay
Last Post: ChicagoSlim
Replies: 6
Views: 106
0 PLEASE READ THIS Before You Post In 'The BUY - SELL - TRADE Zone'!
Last Post: kk38k
Replies: 2
Views: 1,039
0 I finally learned how to work the system!
Last Post: Ranchero50
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 250
0 Broken exhaust stud questions.
Replies: 7
Views: 231
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Replies: 2,582
Views: 207,612
0 What coil(s) do you run with your Dyna S ignition?
Last Post: stanroyal
Replies: 7
Views: 162
0 Anyone go racing last weekend?
Last Post: madnss
Replies: 2,723
Views: 246,047
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: trainman
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 7,594
Views: 559,217
0 Carb
Last Post: wedge
Replies: 15
Views: 453
0 Issue until up to temp
Last Post: wedge
Replies: 17
Views: 495
0 1981 XLH turns over won’t start
Last Post: 60Gunner
Replies: 5
Views: 64
5 Legendary Jerry Branch on Gearing quote and question...
Last Post: groovemeisterus
Replies: 0
Views: 53
0 77 idling
Last Post: fbroos73
Replies: 2
Views: 86
6 Asgardia Regional area
Last Post: Toejam503
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 372
0 Sportsterpedia Progress
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Replies: 164
Views: 32,619
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: ChinCactus
Replies: 1,514
Views: 152,642
0 Show us your bike next to a Water Tower.
Last Post: Toejam503
Replies: 62
Views: 13,352
More...
Members Birthdays
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th July 2017
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1995
Matt Black is a name known to allMatt Black is a name known to allMatt Black is a name known to allMatt Black is a name known to allMatt Black is a name known to allMatt Black is a name known to allMatt Black is a name known to allMatt Black is a name known to allMatt Black is a name known to allMatt Black is a name known to allMatt Black is a name known to all
Default 1995 883/1200 XLH refresh

I am the third owner, my PO bought it from the original owner (who was a friend of his) about 4.5-5 years ago. My PO took it apart about a year and a half ago after gas spilled on the tank and ruined the paint. He intended to repaint and add a wide tire kit, but one thing led to another and neither of those things happened.

The original owner was a big fan of chrome and accessories and I am not. I am a keep it clean and simple sort of guy so a lot of this project is going to be undoing much of what the two PO's did.

The original owner did put in a 1200 kit with Andrews N2 cams,which is nice.

I'm not new to working on greasy old vehicles but I've never had a bike before. I've always wanted one and figured I wasn't getting any younger so here I am.
Old 28th July 2017
Greasemonkey

Matt Black is a name known to allMatt Black is a name known to allMatt Black is a name known to allMatt Black is a name known to allMatt Black is a name known to allMatt Black is a name known to allMatt Black is a name known to allMatt Black is a name known to allMatt Black is a name known to allMatt Black is a name known to allMatt Black is a name known to all

I like pictures so ...

The day I brought it home.

[IMG]IMAG2016 by David Arens, on Flickr[/IMG]

IMAG2010 by David Arens, on Flickr

The PO threw in a Factory service manual and a Craftsman moto jack, both of which I appreciated very much. He sold the rear fender and seat back when he was planning on installing that wide tire kit so it came without. He also gave me an extra pair of lower progressive shocks, the fatbob tank that was on it, a "vintage" styled front fender and the original cams. Along with a cardboard box full of loose hardware and small parts.
Old 28th July 2017
Greasemonkey

My first task was to remove all the chrome covers that were on everything from the spark plugs to the lifter blocks. I also got rid of the windshield, the leather handlebar bag (which just about turned to dust when I touched it) and the saddle bag mounts. I removed the rear signals intending to go with a smaller, LED and non-chrome set, but I may just end up painting those and reusing them with LED innards.

IMAG2026 by David Arens, on Flickr

2017-07-28_12-42-26 by David Arens, on Flickr
Old 28th July 2017
Greasemonkey

I did pick up a like new rear fender and a stock Sporty tank off the local Craigslist. I think I did OK on the fender but I got too excited about buying parts and didn't realize until I got home that the petcock on the tank is on the wrong side and it sounds like it's full of sand. Not to mention it looks like it was painted as a kindergarten art project. Anyway, lesson learned, I can reroute the fuel line to use the right side petcock, seal it and paint it. Everytime I look at it while on the bike it'll remind me not to be an idiot. It'd do that even better if I left it looking like it does now, but that ain't gonna happen.

00M0M_7omoR8R6ZNO_1200x900 by David Arens, on Flickr

01212_lmvAw0CKK9T_1200x900 by David Arens, on Flickr
Old 28th July 2017
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883►1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1994
IXL2Relax has disabled reputation

This is THE BEST Sportster Resource!

Take a minute, right now, and please put at least your state/country in the LOCATION FIELD of your profile so we can better help you when you need it... (the STATE FIELD does not show on posts)...

CLICK HERE - then scroll down to 'Additional Information' and look for the field labeled 'LOCATION' - put your information in there - It will then show on each post you make... Look for this:

Thanks for posting the images of the BEFORE --- We'll be interested in seing you rebuild it and the AFTER pictures...

You might be interested in this thread:
Just Bought A Used Sportster - Checklists For Making It Right

The Sportsterpedia has a lot of technical info to review - This is the section on working on the CV40 carb:
Sportsterpedia - Getting Ready to Tune Your CV Carb

IXL 2 Relax
>>>> My Build & Ride Reports Are Here <<<<
Old 28th July 2017
Greasemonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXL2Relax View Post
Take a minute, right now, and please put at least your state/country in the LOCATION FIELD of your profile so we can better help you when you need it... (the STATE FIELD does not show on posts)...
Done...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXL2Relax View Post
You might be interested in this thread:
Just Bought A Used Sportster - Checklists For Making It Right

The Sportsterpedia has a lot of technical info to review - This is the section on working on the CV40 carb:
Sportsterpedia - Getting Ready to Tune Your CV Carb]
Thanks for both of those.

I've looked at the first one briefly, I'm planning on spending some serious quality time with it very soon. Now that I've had some time to get acquainted with the bike, I have some questions and that thread might help...

Looking at the section on changes by year in the Sportsterpedia is what really helped me nail down what generation I wanted to buy.
Old 28th July 2017
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 883/1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1996
The Crusher has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crusher has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crusher has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crusher has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crusher has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crusher has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crusher has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crusher has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crusher has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crusher has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crusher has a reputation beyond repute

You picked a pretty good year, my opinion. Buy the factory service manual, it's the best tool to have and use http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....artsfinder.htm to look up part numbers, even if you buy aftermarket parts you want to make sure they correspond correctly to the HD number, if possible.
Old 28th July 2017
Greasemonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crusher View Post
You picked a pretty good year, my opinion. Buy the factory service manual, it's the best tool to have...
After reading that thread about blowing up 4 speeds left and right I knew I wanted a 5 speed, but still minimum electronics and not fuel injected. And Yep, the PO had a FSM and included it with the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crusher View Post
...and use http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....artsfinder.htm to look up part numbers, even if you buy aftermarket parts you want to make sure they correspond correctly to the HD number, if possible.
I could never find the H-D part number on the Ronnies site. I like the http://shop.outpostalaska.com/OEMpartfinder.htm one because it pops up with the H-D part # when you click the part on the diagram.
Old 28th July 2017
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883►1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1994
IXL2Relax has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Black View Post
Looking at the section on changes by year in the Sportsterpedia is what really helped me nail down what generation I wanted to buy.
Good -- That's one of the benefits of the Sportsterpedia...

Quote:
After reading that thread about blowing up 4 speeds left and right I knew I wanted a 5 speed, but still minimum electronics and not fuel injected. And Yep, the PO had a FSM and included it with the bike.
That criteria also leads me to recommend the 1994-1997 range as the best years to buy for compact design & self-maintenance...

Quote:
I could never find the H-D part number on the Ronnies site. I like the http://shop.outpostalaska.com/OEMpartfinder.htm one because it pops up with the H-D part # when you click the part on the diagram.
Ronnie's is a bit quicker to move between models for comparison of parts but outpostalaska is handy for the pop-up part number...

Just a caution about the 1995 model - being the first year of the electronic speedo it had quite a few failures - but they seem to have corrected the poor quality soon after that year... Of course, you can fall back to a mechanical speedo on that model by inserting a speedo drive in place of the left-side front wheel spacer and getting the cable & mech speedo from an earlier model...

Good luck with the rebuild of the bike...

IXL 2 Relax
>>>> My Build & Ride Reports Are Here <<<<

Reference the Sportsterpedia
An XLForum collection of technical info & advice
Sponsored Links
Old 29th July 2017
Greasemonkey

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the speedo. The PO pretty much mangled the wiring adapting it to fit an aftermarket fatbob tank. I haven't studied the wiring diagram yet, but unless I need it for the bike to run, I might not put it back on. At least not right away.

IMAG2061 by David Arens, on Flickr

IMAG2058 by David Arens, on Flickr