The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE & BUELL MOTORCYCLE FORUM - GENERAL DISCUSSION > Product Reviews
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Product Reviews Here is where you can write up your own review of bikes, parts, or accessories.

Please do not post problems in here unless replying to a review. Please post problems with specific parts or accessories in their respective forum topics.

Active Threads
0 Happy Birthday Joebobber
Last Post: Toejam503
Posted On: 2 Minutes Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 32
0 Happy Birthday Crusty!!!
Last Post: Toejam503
Posted On: 3 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 2
0 Fubar (Rear Cylinder Not Firing)
Last Post: 93trident
Posted On: 6 Minutes Ago
Replies: 17
Views: 487
0 74 XLH disk brake lower anchor pin
Last Post: needspeed
Posted On: 9 Minutes Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 270
0 Compression Tester Differences
Last Post: 60Gunner
Posted On: 24 Minutes Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 135
0 Upside Down Monoshock IH - A Longterm Project
Last Post: paulc
Posted On: 39 Minutes Ago
Replies: 125
Views: 28,689
0 Suggestions on no start
Last Post: Iron Mike
Posted On: 42 Minutes Ago
Replies: 69
Views: 1,823
0 An Ohio Meet 'N' Eat
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 20
Views: 695
0 2003 XLH Battery install help
Last Post: John Harper
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 288
0 My 1250 to 1275 build
Last Post: rejeanprimeau
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 144
Views: 9,023
0 Spokes or Mags
Last Post: 51 New West
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 341
Views: 73,461
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 13,836
Views: 1,277,840
0 ultima iggy plate near the end of travel
Last Post: Nitro57xl
Replies: 21
Views: 692
0 hello and help!
Last Post: IronMick
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 140
3 Wtb, Wts, Wtt, Wtg (Ironhead)
Last Post: IronMick
Replies: 63
Views: 236,276
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 44,984
Views: 7,085,397
0 :( New deep rebuild on my 90 inch
Last Post: conv90
Replies: 147
Views: 14,958
0 Hello!!!
Last Post: shanneba
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 188
0 Here goes...
Last Post: NLXL
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 128
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: thood
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 6,347
Views: 815,872
0 Speedometer issue
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Replies: 3
Views: 220
0 Average age of the Ironhead forum users
Last Post: Kingrabbit
Replies: 448
Views: 87,220
0 CV carb rubber bung
Replies: 16
Views: 487
0 Fitment between 2005 & 2006
Replies: 6
Views: 139
0 HAMMERING the Columbia!
Last Post: 60Gunner
Replies: 53
Views: 10,472
0 1996 Sportster 1200 ignition/ idle/ warm up/ lost cylinder???
Replies: 3
Views: 158
0 This week on Craig's list
Last Post: A Seabee
Replies: 4,296
Views: 511,912
0 Ulysses Oil Fittings?
Last Post: Davo_137
Replies: 1
Views: 52
0 What is it and Where (Wiring Other Tail Light And Turn Signals)
Last Post: broknluck
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 20
Views: 989
0 5 gal tank
Last Post: Tonyb65
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 46
Views: 14,894
More...
Members Birthdays
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st July 2017
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1460C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: XL1200R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
sportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond repute
Default Joe Rocket Phoenix 5.0 armored mesh jacket

Had one ordered and it arrived the day before leaving for Lake Havasu, Arizona. It created a quandary as I've been wearing a Tourmaster "Jett" textile armored jacket for about 10-12 years. It has over 150,000 miles on it, is still serviceable but showing its age,( kinda like me)! While the "Jett" has performed well in heat a short ride in a borrowed mesh jacket was noticeably better especially in the lower arms and torso.
So, I elected to gamble on the "Phoenix" for most of the travel would be southern exposure, which I felt would be a good test. The jacket comes with armor for elbows and shoulders with a padded spine protector, pretty much standard for armored jackets. A side note airflow can be improved by removing the back protector but for me I no longer bounce like I once did and the healing process takes forever. A couple of exterior zippered hand pockets a smallish Velcro closed interior pocket and padding in the rib and tailbone area. A lower back zipper is provided and it's matching half can be added to the riding pants of your choice. A bonus four me is the addition of four, two front and two rear snapped belt loops which allow securing the jacket to a belt. They do keep the jacket from riding up,( as would the zipper), and it seems all my jackets want to slide up off my Aerostich AD1 pants. I got the Silver,Gray model mostly for reflectivity and thinking it fits well with the Silver Shoei full face helmet. Now the performance aspect- in cool to moderate temps it's a great feel, on chillier mornings or evenings adding the snap/zip in liner, wind and waterproof ( with the main front zipper offset from the outer jacket zipper), brings immediate warmth at the cost of little to no venting. A thin fleece or cotton long sleeve shirt, jacket or vest might prove more suitable under those conditions. Have only been caught in light sprinkles a couple of times, not stopping to add the liner and never got soaked and dried out quickly. A true rain test will have to wait for later. Heat, killer heat, scorching heat as in 125F pulling out of a garage in Arizona is far from fun, no jacket that I am aware of will do any better. It's like riding in a convection oven, you have ambient temps along with rising motor heat and add in heat coming up off the pavement. This can be considerable. An example, riding through Pigeon Forge a couple years back astride Orangedays standard would be something like a "camelback with its ambient temp sensor mounted behind the handlebar riser, the sign on the bank marquee read 95F while I was showing 119F on my gage, significant! When I departed from "Brads" in Phoenix my goal was to reach "Harry's" in Pecos which meant crossing most of Arizona, all of New Mexico and a couple hundred miles into Texas. Truth be known I felt that if I could get better than half way I would consider getting a room for the night then finishing up the next day. Temps were 110-115F and I chose to run Interstate as being the quicker way to cover the distances. Be prepared to hold speeds of at least 80-85m.p.h or you will get run over, I knew the bike was capable my only doubt was myself cooking on the run. My secret weapon was my ancient wine skin bota,( a throw back to my dinosaur days), which when slung over the shoulder allows hydrating through the visor opening of a fullface helmet as well as wetting the neck, chest and arms while zipping along the highway. Today's standard might be a system like the "Camelback" but not sure how it would work to wetting the jacket while running? Long story but I end up in a huge city, turned out to El Paso, with a couple hours of daylight left and showing three hours left till Pecos so I push on arriving at Harry's around 11:00p.m. exhausred and beat. Moral of the story nothing works well in high heat long distance running. I think I consumed 3-3 1/2 gallons of water and Poweraid over the course of that 15 hour jaunt and never had to make a personal pit stop.
For moderate temps, let's say approaching the 90's and running around town or shorter day trips you'll be fine, anything more and your may have to modify your riding style.. I like this jacket and can recommend it with the above mentioned notations. Regardless, get out there and ride!
Sign me "Gypsy Rider"!
I.B.A.#26543, Growing old-Mandatory/ Growing up-optional. Men do not quit playing because they get old, they get old because they stop playing!

The XL Forum Sportsterpedia:
http://sportsterpedia.com/doku.php/start

Last edited by sportsterpaul; 21st July 2017 at 22:37..
Old 21st July 2017
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH883
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2003
sportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the report, Paul.
Sorry I missed you...again.

Yesterday I took a run up Lovell Canyon, after taking the Red Rock Loop, only about 140 miles. Rain probability was only 20%, great cloud cover and never saw over 100 F.

Torso coverage was limited to a long sleeve Carhartt T shirt. It was actually cooler attire than the short sleeve T that I wore today...as it is sunny and it is strongly felt on the forearms.

For runs to Corn Creek Springs and then up Lee Canyon, across Deer Creek then down Kyle Canyon, about 90 miles, a long sleeve T works fine at temps which have recently varied from 117 F at 2,200 feet to 73 F at the top (~8,500'). Last trip was only 103 F leaving highway 95...but back to severe heat warnings next week.

Probably won't don my armored jacket (Triumph Tempest) until October. Above about 85 F, it is not comfortable, even with liner removed and vents zipped open...especially at traffic signals.
Old 21st July 2017
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

sportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing that I have tried is comfortable at traffic lights or stop and go traffic when the temps are up. The extra sweat accumulated at those times becomes quite refreshing after starting back up but only for a short while.
Old 18th March 2018
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Just a follow up note, had the misfortune of a get off while running in Ohio with Brian, “BKB.” A high side at somewhere around 40 m.p.h and a good slide into a ditch. Can’t tell much about it as was unconscious with a severe concussion, separated shoulder and a couple of broken ribs. I can say that the jacket came through in really good shape with the only real damage being a ripped shoulder patch and a torn end on the left side waist belt. Some dirt and grass stain skid marks which have cleaned up nicely. Removed the shoulder patch and sown the belt end and jacket looks as normal. Solidifies my belief in good protective gear as I don’t bounce like I used to and it takes forever to heal. The jacket is fast becoming a favorite.
Old 19th March 2018
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1250c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
mikeLI_77 has a reputation beyond reputemikeLI_77 has a reputation beyond reputemikeLI_77 has a reputation beyond reputemikeLI_77 has a reputation beyond reputemikeLI_77 has a reputation beyond reputemikeLI_77 has a reputation beyond reputemikeLI_77 has a reputation beyond reputemikeLI_77 has a reputation beyond reputemikeLI_77 has a reputation beyond reputemikeLI_77 has a reputation beyond reputemikeLI_77 has a reputation beyond repute

I may purchase this jacket as well. Even though I have one from cycle gear that fits me I like the fact that this one has a water resistant liner.

Hammer 1250 kit W/ 30° reverse dome pistons, billet 2.25" crush forward offset open air cleaner, billet intake manifold, Impact 560's, Sledge Hammer pushrods, Buell XB heads with crush level head porting, Mikuni HSR 45, 177.5 main, 25 slow, Clip 4th slot from top, Jim's powerglide II lifters,
Supertrapp supermeg exhaust 20 disks and open end cap, S&S roller rockers, Alto Carbonite clutch, Energy One 15% heavier spring, Daytona twin tech single fire ignition 1005s
Ricor intimnators, 13" Ricor IAS shocks, Brembo dual disk setup from 2012 street glide w/ matching brembo street glide master cylinder,
Koso T&T multi function speedo/tach

Dyno Sheet
96.21 HP/88.70 TQ

States I Have rode through
Old 19th March 2018
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Mike, the liner zips in and when not used packs small, makes a big difference on those chilly mornings and nights.