The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Intake and Exhaust > Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust Problems, advice and/or how tos for Sporster and Buell motorcycle carburators, Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI), Air Intake, Fuel and Exhaust.

Active Threads
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: iNSaNeSHaNe
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 24,762
Views: 1,457,723
0 Stroker pistons
Last Post: ryder rick
Replies: 131
Views: 6,959
0 Transmission drain plug
Last Post: ryder rick
Replies: 4
Views: 364
0 Poll: Do you change tires yourself?
Last Post: roadsterboy
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 140
Views: 44,218
0 1975 Sportster
Last Post: alsfarms
Replies: 6
Views: 188
0 MId-range breaking up under acceleration
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Replies: 9
Views: 129
0 2003 Custom 1200
Replies: 1
Views: 47
12 I caught a carburetor THISSSSSS rare
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 150
0 Clutch issue
Last Post: Fivecats
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 34
0 Was your 1st bike a Sportster?
Last Post: SophieWillow
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,053
Views: 294,238
3 still not a drop!!! 1979 1000xlh
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 17
Views: 715
0 1982 Front Hydraulic Master Cylinder
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Views: 132
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: ChinCactus
Replies: 52,071
Views: 8,766,867
0 Indicators not flashing
Last Post: IronMick
Replies: 10
Views: 308
0 Gear indicator missing
Replies: 11
Views: 186
0 This is gonna hurt.
Last Post: wedge
Replies: 8,934
Views: 2,080,347
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 32,252
Views: 3,755,471
0 Automotive Motor Oil In Sportster
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 65
Views: 2,952
0 What song do you have stuck in your head?
Last Post: iNSaNeSHaNe
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 2,430
Views: 258,887
0 Cannonball Run Winner - 1911 H-D
Last Post: duffy
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 164
0 1982 rubber oil hoses
Posted On: 14 Hours Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 790
0 Bad Vibration & Engine Stumbling 99 Custom 883
Last Post: Porkchop9
Posted On: 15 Hours Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 151
0 1983 Roadster
Last Post: RicThompson
Posted On: 16 Hours Ago
Replies: 38
Views: 1,597
0 video & pics
Last Post: hammer6315
Posted On: 16 Hours Ago
Replies: 446
Views: 45,493
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 17 Hours Ago
Replies: 4,743
Views: 918,208
0 1975 Sportster
Last Post: bustert
Posted On: 17 Hours Ago
Views: 181
0 Power Vision map for Hammer 1275
Last Post: Bikeaholic
Posted On: 19 Hours Ago
Views: 410
0 2012 Sporty 72 Early-Style Springer Install
Last Post: Animosity
Posted On: 19 Hours Ago
Views: 382
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Last Post: cal43
Posted On: 20 Hours Ago
Replies: 12,532
Views: 2,923,572
0 easy rider homage peter fonda ironhead
Last Post: 84rzv500r
Posted On: 1 Day Ago
Replies: 26
Views: 1,823
More...
Members Birthdays
Snuffy (72), cabby58 (63), SmoothyB (54), johnnyB (52), cayey (51), BIGschwerm (45), chief (45), Sporty Accorn (45), Muddypunk (36), Andreas (34)

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th July 2008
Senior Chief Know It All

Gone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud of

OK guys. I ordered the EZ Just idle mixture screw from JCP and it came in Thursday, I installed it today. Then took it back out and put the original mixture screw back in. The original at least has to tension on it.

The EZJust was real loose at two turn out. I think I may know why. Because I read and followed advice on the this and other threads, I was very care to get all the parts out of the idle mixture screw hole. But all I got was the needle screw and the spring. No washer and no rubber o-ring. I am not sure if they were ever there, but the idle mixture screw doesn't seem to have as much turning resistance as it used to have. Maybe just my imagination. I have a reasonably clean garage floor and spent about 30 minutes on hands and knees looking for those parts with a flashlight. Looked around the bike and even used an inspection mirror to be sure they weren't stuck in the screw socket.

So here's my question. What are the implication of those missing parts? I would guess one would be less tension on the adjustment screw. Maybe some fuel leakage? I'm not sure so I naturally came to those who know more than me.

BTW..... I did back to Johns and order the replacement parts. Boy is he proud of them.

Oh and BTBTW (By The By The Way) the EZ Just needle looks different than the original. Not as tapered. How does that affect the bike?
Old 14th July 2008
Brass Nut

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200CB
Sportster/Buell Year: 2015
Other Motorcycle Model: CRF250L
Other Motorcycle Year: 2017
Folkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond repute

I found that just the o ring wanted to stay up there; the washer fell out with the spring. So maybe the washer came out and was lost, but the o ring was still in there? If that's the case, then I think the implication would be that the spring would chew up the o ring.

There is nothing at the end of any road better than may be found beside it. Edward Thomas (1878 - 1917)
Old 14th July 2008
Senior Chief Know It All

Gone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkie View Post
I found that just the o ring wanted to stay up there; the washer fell out with the spring. So maybe the washer came out and was lost, but the o ring was still in there? If that's the case, then I think the implication would be that the spring would chew up the o ring.
I thought that too, but couldn't see it with a flashlight and an inspection mirror. I also used a toothpick to try to dislodge it if it were there and I just couldn't see it. Terrible what age does to us, and my eyes are 65 so I didn't want to just trust them. In any case, I believe it is not there now.

Thanks.
Old 18th December 2009
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200xlc
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 883 xlc
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2002
Other Motorcycle Model: yamaha/honda/kawi/bultaco
goldsport is on a distinguished roadgoldsport is on a distinguished roadgoldsport is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchuck View Post
I made my own.

This:

Plus this:

Equals this:

I bought some 3/16" brass tubing and a knurled nut from Ace hardware. If you accidently get solder in the threads, clean them up with a M6X.8 die.

Total parts cost; $1.98
EZ-just cost; $29.99
Savings; $28.01 = 7.39 gallons of gas = 370 miles of riding.
Very Nice Job!!! I'm withya, $29.99 for a screw????? It better have long blonde hair and big kazungas!!
Old 9th January 2010
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 05
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki GN400
Other Motorcycle Year: 1980
merc has a reputation beyond reputemerc has a reputation beyond reputemerc has a reputation beyond reputemerc has a reputation beyond reputemerc has a reputation beyond reputemerc has a reputation beyond reputemerc has a reputation beyond reputemerc has a reputation beyond reputemerc has a reputation beyond reputemerc has a reputation beyond reputemerc has a reputation beyond repute

both you guys did a great job with your inginuity and resourcefulness.
I think it is cool that you can make something to make having a Sportster better and to share it with us so we can enjoy it as much.
But I like the cost of tchucks much better. I might have to go and do this.
thanks guys. will try to figure out how to give rep. You both deserve it for sure.
Old 10th January 2011
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: xl 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1996
Sportster/Buell Model #2: zx14 neeenjaa san
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: Triumph Thrux Ton
Other Motorcycle Year: 2005
davev1954 has a spectacular aura aboutdavev1954 has a spectacular aura aboutdavev1954 has a spectacular aura aboutdavev1954 has a spectacular aura aboutdavev1954 has a spectacular aura aboutdavev1954 has a spectacular aura aboutdavev1954 has a spectacular aura aboutdavev1954 has a spectacular aura aboutdavev1954 has a spectacular aura aboutdavev1954 has a spectacular aura aboutdavev1954 has a spectacular aura about

I noticed the adjustable mixture screws are on sale for $16.95 and free shipping this month (Jan 2011). Or $9.95 if you order them with a jet kit:

http://www.harley-performance.com/ez-just.html
Old 11th January 2011
Senior Chief Know It All

Have you tried the kit? I did try the EZ-just a couple of years ago. The bike ran but the EZ-just screw felt really loose. I decided not to trust it. I still have it though.

Has anyone here used or have experience with Dakota Kid modified CV carbs? http://www.dakotakidcarbs.com/index.html
They seem expensive (currently $325) to rework the Keihin CV but the few testimonials I read all sound great. I'd rather read about it here though.

Last edited by Gone; 11th January 2011 at 15:26..
Old 11th January 2011
Brass Nut

Folkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotCFI View Post
Have you tried the kit? I did try the EZ-just a couple of years ago. The bike ran but the EZ-just screw felt really loose. I decided not to trust it. I still have it though.
Why would it be loose, the needle part of it is exactly the same as the stock needle?

You didn't fit it without the spring, washer, and O ring, did you?
Old 12th January 2011
Senior Chief Know It All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkie View Post
Why would it be loose, the needle part of it is exactly the same as the stock needle?

You didn't fit it without the spring, washer, and O ring, did you?
Actually I did use the spring, washer and O ring. The EZ-just became loose as I backed it out for proper idle mixture. I understand your point, but I saw what I saw.
Old 12th January 2011
Brass Nut

How many turns did you back it out when it became loose?