The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 2011 exhaust on 2004?
Last Post: b0fh
Posted On: 3 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 6
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 6 Minutes Ago
Replies: 799
Views: 50,089
0 best replacement battery
Last Post: dellrio
Posted On: 13 Minutes Ago
Replies: 34
Views: 14,331
0 Wheel Bearing Question
Last Post: ReddTigger
Posted On: 27 Minutes Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 171
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Posted On: 36 Minutes Ago
Replies: 42,196
Views: 6,540,004
0 No working taillight, but bike still runs? Schematic included.
Last Post: Nate.evans
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 243
0 Helping a friend...
Last Post: Toejam503
Replies: 7
Views: 112
0 Hello Everybody
Last Post: CBryant
Replies: 15
Views: 136
0 High Pipe exhaust
Last Post: Blowupster
Replies: 81
Views: 12,035
0 XR750 road bike?
Last Post: Scott
Replies: 3
Views: 106
0 Spokes or Mags
Last Post: Scott
Replies: 329
Views: 59,220
0 Every last drop of HP from a 1200ci.
Last Post: b0fh
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 196
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 9,136
Views: 750,630
0 Big bore stroker - the beginning of a 10-year long build
Last Post: RKN
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 835
Views: 77,384
0 Ignition Module failure or Intake leak?
Last Post: GT Cyclery
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 80
0 Rivets for Front Fender Braces - '71 xlch
Last Post: Bwf347
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 3,136
0 Reflectors...Yeah, or Neh
Last Post: Ireeman
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 166
Views: 38,145
0 Greetings from Riedcoast
Last Post: jharback
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 122
0 Hello From Los Angeles
Last Post: jharback
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 383
0 What did you do to your EFI Sporty today?
Last Post: ncxl
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 3,895
Views: 722,383
0 Air Cleaner Bracket Mounting
Last Post: IronMick
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 226
0 New Member, New Build with pics, and some questions
Last Post: doodah man
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 31
Views: 1,251
0 Spokes and dual disc
Last Post: PetesPonies
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 40
Views: 1,122
0 Gravydog crashed again.
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 137
Views: 9,538
8 Crankshaft Failure
Last Post: wedge
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 107
Views: 44,013
0 Intermittent silence when hitting starter?
Last Post: TeeCat
Posted On: 14 Hours Ago
Replies: 83
Views: 3,685
0 Poll for the legalization of cannabis
Last Post: Kbetts
Posted On: 14 Hours Ago
Replies: 438
Views: 55,817
0 Oil Pump Upgrade '86-'90
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 15 Hours Ago
Replies: 56
Views: 1,966
0 Dale's Killer 40mm CV Carb
Last Post: brucstoudt
Posted On: 16 Hours Ago
Replies: 18
Views: 700
0 Let's See Them R's!!
Last Post: PetesPonies
Posted On: 16 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,498
Views: 550,447
More...
Members Birthdays
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1 Day Ago
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 1965 xlch
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1992 Honda xlr250r
Other Motorcycle Model: 1986 suzuki gsxr 750.
davixlrtt is a glorious beacon of lightdavixlrtt is a glorious beacon of lightdavixlrtt is a glorious beacon of lightdavixlrtt is a glorious beacon of lightdavixlrtt is a glorious beacon of lightdavixlrtt is a glorious beacon of lightdavixlrtt is a glorious beacon of lightdavixlrtt is a glorious beacon of lightdavixlrtt is a glorious beacon of lightdavixlrtt is a glorious beacon of lightdavixlrtt is a glorious beacon of light

Hello RKN, I can get a good spark between the springs on my FM mag but I do have to give it a real good flick between my finger and thumb, I’m not saying by any means that you don’t know how to get a spark out of yours, I’m just saying that’s what I have to do to get one out of mine.
......Davi.
Old 1 Day Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLB, XLCH, Sporton
Sportster/Buell Year: 1962
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1966
Other Motorcycle Model: XLCH (Another one)
Other Motorcycle Year: 1966
Ferrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I made a request to Morris Magneto tech support to find out which coil is a correct one to be used with their rare earth magnet rotor.
Dave Shaw is Morris Magnetos. He's pretty much a one man band. But what he doesn't know about them isn't worth knowing.

I think he has supplied two types of coils to date. One reads 13,000 ohms tower to tower and the other is 17,000 ohms tower to tower. I'm not sure what the original FB measured.

I use a frill and a short length of rubber hose to connect the drill to the mag. Then just ground the two spark plugs against each other. A drill will spin it fast enough to see how good/bad your actual spark is.
Old 1 Day Ago
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 (90")
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1974
RKN is a name known to allRKN is a name known to allRKN is a name known to allRKN is a name known to allRKN is a name known to allRKN is a name known to allRKN is a name known to allRKN is a name known to allRKN is a name known to allRKN is a name known to allRKN is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by davixlrtt View Post
Hello RKN, I can get a good spark between the springs on my FM mag but I do have to give it a real good flick between my finger and thumb, I’m not saying by any means that you don’t know how to get a spark out of yours, I’m just saying that’s what I have to do to get one out of mine.
......Davi.
Well, that's a very good news for me. So, such magnetos do exist)))

When I assembled mine at the beginning of the year, I could get a spark in spark plugs by rotating magneto by hand without putting too much effort in the process. I haven't read Dr Dick's post back then, so I do not know if I was able to get a spark between coil terminals back then.

I was getting a solid spark in spark plugs while kicking when I just put the mag on the bike. Then I put the carb on the bike, with a new gasket, but without checking the flatness of the mating surfaces (carb body and bowl). Well, it leaked. And the gas got inside the mag. After that I couldn't get a spark. I removed the mag, completely disassembled it, cleaned out everything, assembled it back. No spark between terminals when rotated by hand and irregular spark when rotated by drill.

There probably will be a spark if I connect the mag to the spark plugs, but since I have $$$ invested in rare earth magnet rotor and MRA adjustable advance, I want this mag to function 100% perfect.

By the way, what's your mag set up? Which rotor and coil are you using?
Old 19 Hours Ago
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 1965 xlch
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1992 Honda xlr250r
Other Motorcycle Model: 1986 suzuki gsxr 750.
davixlrtt is a glorious beacon of lightdavixlrtt is a glorious beacon of lightdavixlrtt is a glorious beacon of lightdavixlrtt is a glorious beacon of lightdavixlrtt is a glorious beacon of lightdavixlrtt is a glorious beacon of lightdavixlrtt is a glorious beacon of lightdavixlrtt is a glorious beacon of lightdavixlrtt is a glorious beacon of lightdavixlrtt is a glorious beacon of lightdavixlrtt is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKN View Post
By the way, what's your mag set up? Which rotor and coil are you using?
I am running a standard XLCH magneto with a genuine coil that I replaced about 15 years ago although it was working perfectly and only because one of the towers had a big chip out of it around the spring, the points and condenser I have no idea of their origin but most likely aftermarket.
......Davi.
Old 6 Hours Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLS roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1985
iNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond repute

"" RKN "" since you had a good firing mag prior to the gas getting in it I would tend to look at some sort of debris from the fuel causing a short to the points.
I have found this in two spots, one where the isolater block goes between the spring and the mounting plate, and also at the pivot post where the points locate on the plate.

The times I had this happen it caused intermittent spark.
I simply removed the points and cleaned those parts with nail polish remover ( I was at a convenience store ) and blew it dry.
Everything worked great after that.
Oh, and don't forget to lubricate the wear block on the points or you will be back in resetting the points soon, took a week for me ..

Anyway, good luck cant wait to see this thing running.
Old 6 Hours Ago
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 (90")
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1974
RKN is a name known to allRKN is a name known to allRKN is a name known to allRKN is a name known to allRKN is a name known to allRKN is a name known to allRKN is a name known to allRKN is a name known to allRKN is a name known to allRKN is a name known to allRKN is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNSaNeSHaNe View Post
"" RKN "" since you had a good firing mag prior to the gas getting in it I would tend to look at some sort of debris from the fuel causing a short to the points.
I have found this in two spots, one where the isolater block goes between the spring and the mounting plate, and also at the pivot post where the points locate on the plate.

The times I had this happen it caused intermittent spark.
I simply removed the points and cleaned those parts with nail polish remover ( I was at a convenience store ) and blew it dry.
Everything worked great after that.
Oh, and don't forget to lubricate the wear block on the points or you will be back in resetting the points soon, took a week for me ..

Anyway, good luck cant wait to see this thing running.
Thanks, I'll look into it again, but I completly disassebled it (including rotor removing) and cleand everything. I cleaned points with a piece of paper, just like you would clean a micrometer. I got somewhat paranoid after I read that gasoline conducts magnetism. Have no idea if such thing as a "magnetic shortage" exists and if it can demagnetize rotor or do any other harm to it, though. Hope the problem is with the coil.

If I attach a small drill bit to one of the coil springs and keep it within .1-.12" from the other spring, I do get a spark while rotating the rotor by hand, but I can't get any spark between the coil terminals without shortering the distance between them (while rotating by hand).