The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Accessories
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Sportster Motorcycle Accessories Accessory problems, advice, and/or how tos (Saddle Bags, Sissy Bars, Crash bars, Mirrors, etc

Active Threads
0 My take on the world ~ Photo by Trace
Last Post: jcn59
Posted On: 22 Minutes Ago
Replies: 877
Views: 100,621
0 What are some sellers thinking?
Last Post: Knuckles
Posted On: 25 Minutes Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 1,044
0 Average age of the Ironhead forum users
Last Post: JonesL
Posted On: 33 Minutes Ago
Replies: 424
Views: 72,803
0 Spokes or Mags
Last Post: Four Speed
Posted On: 37 Minutes Ago
Replies: 324
Views: 58,396
0 Screw Loose's Repairs
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 330
Views: 49,467
0 How stock is your bike
Replies: 141
Views: 28,685
0 Thinking about restoring my '65 XLCH forks to stock
Last Post: Magneto Sportster
Replies: 2
Views: 49
0 FLH saddlebags on Easy Brackets
Last Post: Hippysmack
Replies: 7
Views: 143
0 White Letter Tires
Last Post: Whitewalls
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 6,362
0 Unapproved Threads And Posts
Last Post: bplinson
Replies: 7
Views: 901
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: trainman
Replies: 8,703
Views: 716,904
0 How to keep a dry clutch dry?
Last Post: DirtyHarry68
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 66
Views: 12,029
0 cancer
Last Post: sportytrace
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 577
Views: 59,842
0 This is gonna hurt.
Last Post: lynnx
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 7,566
Views: 1,416,754
0 Seat Poll - Bad Ass or Fat Ass
Last Post: khav
Replies: 38
Views: 11,868
0 Cracked exhaust bracket short shots
Last Post: Screw Loose Dan
Replies: 4
Views: 138
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Replies: 41,988
Views: 6,494,883
0 burrs & grooves in clutch basket
Last Post: rejeanprimeau
Replies: 25
Views: 730
0 Howdy from Baytown, TX
Last Post: ChinCactus
Replies: 9
Views: 115
0 You asked for it! "The Tess' Coffee Thread"
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 10,356
Views: 731,306
0 Installing Brembo Goldline brakes on a 1998 XLH1200
Last Post: Randy_rots
Replies: 2
Views: 39
0 inlet rubber band available by the meter?
Last Post: brucstoudt
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 23
Views: 839
0 How many have converted their 883 to 1200?
Last Post: bustert
Replies: 375
Views: 96,790
0 Not such a bargain after all...
Last Post: spuggy
Replies: 5
Views: 377
0 To lay it down or not?
Last Post: wedge
Replies: 167
Views: 18,760
0 ***DK Custom-Announcing The 5th Annual Internet Bike Contest***
Last Post: DK Custom
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 446
0 Tires
Last Post: kmul
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 476
0 Gravydog crashed again.
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 121
Views: 7,772
0 Crusty's Travels
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,690
Views: 180,152
0 Lithium battery earthx
Last Post: Tucsonmax1
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 35
Views: 1,309
More...
Members Birthdays
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th December 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
CitySlicker has a reputation beyond reputeCitySlicker has a reputation beyond reputeCitySlicker has a reputation beyond reputeCitySlicker has a reputation beyond reputeCitySlicker has a reputation beyond reputeCitySlicker has a reputation beyond reputeCitySlicker has a reputation beyond reputeCitySlicker has a reputation beyond reputeCitySlicker has a reputation beyond reputeCitySlicker has a reputation beyond reputeCitySlicker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Lowering the detachable HD windshield without cutting it

I figured out a way to lower my windshield height without having to go at it with a file and saw and thought I'd share this fairly easy mod. The way the HD detachable windshield mounts on the Custom doesn't allow for much room for adjustment. In particular, the lower triple tree was in the way of me getting the shield right where I felt it should be. I wanted to lower the windshield, because the top was directly in my line of sight creating a bifocal effect and causing me to slouch more than I would otherwise. I tried moving the windshield clamps below the triple tree on the fork as an experiment. The result was a little too low to be effective at highway speeds and made me nervous about the fork lower hitting the windshield clamp if I hit a big bump. The headlight cutout was also pressing down a little too hard on my headlight. I found some threads suggesting that cutting the windshield wasn't so difficult, but I really didn't want to risk bungling it and ruining a perfectly good windshield. So how to go about lowering the height of the shield without cutting it?

Basically, I removed the brackets, tied a string between the clamp holes to get the center line to keep the angle the same, measured 1 1/4 inches up and drilled a new hole with my cousin-in-law's drill press. I was hoping to get 1 1/2 inches in order to allow a little more room for adjustment, but as it was, 1 1/4 inches put the holes pretty close to the edge of the brackets and was as far as I wanted to go. I measured and measured again, but one of the holes ended up about 1/16 inch closer to the edge of the bracket than the other, so I guess I should have measured three times. Another 1/16 inch and it definitely would have been too close for comfort. The side you see in the pics is the closer one. The difference is enough to annoy me, but not enough for anyone else to notice, nor enough to create any buffeting issues at speed. And I'm pretty sure there's still enough metal around the bolt to keep the bracket from breaking from the force of the wind. The final result gets the shield low enough for me to see over it without the bifocal effect and still allows me to raise it back up, for instance, for more protection from rain, etc. It also puts the cutout much closer to the headlight than it was before with the shield as low as it will go - there's only 5/8 inch clearance now as opposed to around 2 inches, so it looks much cleaner.

Old 6th December 2011
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Sportster C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
DG_Sportster is a splendid one to beholdDG_Sportster is a splendid one to beholdDG_Sportster is a splendid one to beholdDG_Sportster is a splendid one to beholdDG_Sportster is a splendid one to beholdDG_Sportster is a splendid one to beholdDG_Sportster is a splendid one to beholdDG_Sportster is a splendid one to beholdDG_Sportster is a splendid one to beholdDG_Sportster is a splendid one to beholdDG_Sportster is a splendid one to behold

This is similar to what i did to raise mine...but yours is much better executed. Someone posted a pic of the QD for a new 48 the other day, and the clamps look to have been moved closer together just like this.
The water-logged OEM starter/system relay on 2007-2009 Sportsters is a OMRON G8H-UA-007401, but this can be crossed over to some automotive apps: Borg Warner R3154, Gp Sorenson 41-5154, Niehoff RL 35381 are examples. Good luck!
Old 6th December 2011
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 R
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Street 500
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2016
O.R. John has a reputation beyond reputeO.R. John has a reputation beyond reputeO.R. John has a reputation beyond reputeO.R. John has a reputation beyond reputeO.R. John has a reputation beyond reputeO.R. John has a reputation beyond reputeO.R. John has a reputation beyond reputeO.R. John has a reputation beyond reputeO.R. John has a reputation beyond reputeO.R. John has a reputation beyond reputeO.R. John has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting approach, and well executed. Thanks for posting the detailed description and great photos!
Old 25th May 2013
No Posts

XLFREAK is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm pretty sure my HD catalog said windshield should be one inch below eye level ??
Old 26th May 2013
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

CitySlicker has a reputation beyond reputeCitySlicker has a reputation beyond reputeCitySlicker has a reputation beyond reputeCitySlicker has a reputation beyond reputeCitySlicker has a reputation beyond reputeCitySlicker has a reputation beyond reputeCitySlicker has a reputation beyond reputeCitySlicker has a reputation beyond reputeCitySlicker has a reputation beyond reputeCitySlicker has a reputation beyond reputeCitySlicker has a reputation beyond repute

One inch seems about right to me. It's just a general rule, though. Too low and it won't do it's job properly. Too high and it will probably be distracting like mine was. My windshield now sits about 1-2 inches below eye level depending on whether I slouch a little or sit up straight and does a fine job at that height directing the flow of air around me.
Old 26th May 2013
No Posts

XLFREAK is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitySlicker View Post
One inch seems about right to me. It's just a general rule, though. Too low and it won't do it's job properly. Too high and it will probably be distracting like mine was. My windshield now sits about 1-2 inches below eye level depending on whether I slouch a little or sit up straight and does a fine job at that height directing the flow of air around me.

thanks, will keep in mind when buy a new or used..
Old 26th May 2013
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

I think a good rule of thumb is that you should be able to see a spot on the road about 50 feet (or roughly 15 meters) in front of you looking over the top of the windshield while sitting on the motorcycle.

Last edited by CitySlicker; 30th May 2013 at 02:53..
Old 25th September 2016
Biker

Sportster/Buell Year: 2016
girlsbike is a name known to allgirlsbike is a name known to allgirlsbike is a name known to allgirlsbike is a name known to allgirlsbike is a name known to allgirlsbike is a name known to allgirlsbike is a name known to allgirlsbike is a name known to allgirlsbike is a name known to allgirlsbike is a name known to allgirlsbike is a name known to all

Just like CitySlicker I had to lower my windscreen to get a satisfactory
result without buffeting.

Not sure of all the reasons but 1/ the brackets on my screen are different
to the ones CitySlicker modified so drilling an extra hole was not possible
and 2/ my bike (2016 XL1200C) has a larger eyebrow over the headlight which prevents lowering the screen without cutting the headlight notch larger.

My solution was to make some aluminium brackets to move the screen forwards and down. They look untidy at the moment but now I know they work I can tidy them up, polish them & fit some nicer, cap head bolts.

Old 25th September 2016
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200CP
Sportster/Buell Year: 2015
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH1200 (traded in)
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1998
jzink0883 has a reputation beyond reputejzink0883 has a reputation beyond reputejzink0883 has a reputation beyond reputejzink0883 has a reputation beyond reputejzink0883 has a reputation beyond reputejzink0883 has a reputation beyond reputejzink0883 has a reputation beyond reputejzink0883 has a reputation beyond reputejzink0883 has a reputation beyond reputejzink0883 has a reputation beyond reputejzink0883 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlsbike View Post
Just like CitySlicker I had to lower my windscreen to get a satisfactory
result without buffeting.

Not sure of all the reasons but 1/ the brackets on my screen are different
to the ones CitySlicker modified so drilling an extra hole was not possible
and 2/ my bike (2016 XL1200C) has a larger eyebrow over the headlight which prevents lowering the screen without cutting the headlight notch larger.

My solution was to make some aluminium brackets to move the screen forwards and down. They look untidy at the moment but now I know they work I can tidy them up, polish them & fit some nicer, cap head bolts.

[/URL]
girlsbike,

I like your solution. Reps to you.

Lots of posts on XLF about buffeting with the H-D quick-release windshield.

Questions:
- Before you installed the bracket, you had significant buffeting?
- Where does the airflow over the windshield hit you now?
- What is your height and inseam?
Old 25th September 2016
Biker

Sportster/Buell Year: 2016
girlsbike is a name known to allgirlsbike is a name known to allgirlsbike is a name known to allgirlsbike is a name known to allgirlsbike is a name known to allgirlsbike is a name known to allgirlsbike is a name known to allgirlsbike is a name known to allgirlsbike is a name known to allgirlsbike is a name known to allgirlsbike is a name known to all

Originally the screen was just below my nose level. I found that in corners I was looking through the screen. Yes, I did have quite a bit of buffeting. I tried different positions between the two triple clamps but in the end I did what CitySlicker did & moved the bottom windshield clamps below the lower triple clamp. This was the best compromise but I found the sweet spot by ducking my head down just a little.

Obviously that position would put the lower windshield clamps in line with the lower triple clamp so I made the brackets to position the screen at that level.
As you can see I still have the option to move it up or down a little just by using the windshield clamps.

Now the airflow hits me just above my eyes, if I raise my head a little I can feel the full airflow on my visor.

No idea of my inseam but I do have short legs, I'm 5' 7 in tall.